PDA

View Full Version : Most pretentious frontman:

bighead384
01-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Maynard from Tool. Watch this interview.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K-3xh9Ht-vo&feature=related

That guy really needs to come back down to earth.

Who are your picks?

IAmARevenant
01-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Hate to say it, because I love the Smashing Pumpkins, but Billy Corgan can be pretty pretentious. (though, not the most pretentious I suppose)

Llamas
01-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Hahahahahaha, oh man. As soon as I saw the title of this thread, the two names that came to mind were "brandon boyd" and "maynard james keenan". In reality, though, Bono is the most pretentious frontman I can think of.

However, this clip doesn't seem pretentious. Maynard is fucking weird, and has clearly done plenty of drugs in his time... he's a weirdo artistic dude. Sometimes I definitely think he can seem pretentious, but here he seems to be giving a lot of credit to his bandmates, etc, etc. I don't know. He honestly just seems kinda weird and off... but not pretentious. What specifically did he say that seemed so pretentious?

bighead384
01-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Actually, you've got a point (Hehe maybe I could've picked a better interview).In the beginning of the interview he's crediting the rest of the band and all, but later on, he tries to get all "deep" and it annoys me. Also I just can't stand his general demeanor. It just seems like he goes out of his way to have this look on his face that suggests "I'm such a deep thinker". And if you notice, the interviewer asks him questions on the purpose of life and whatnot, which is something you'd ask a philosopher, not a rock group frontman. And I'll bet you the reason she asked him questions like that has something to do with the way he presents himself.

Llamas
01-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Actually, you're right about that (Hehe maybe I could've picked a better interview).In the beginning of the interview he's crediting the rest of the band and all, but later on, he tries to get all "deep" and it annoys me. Also I just can't stand his general demeanor. It just seems like he goes out of his way to have this look on his face that suggests "I'm such a deep thinker". And if you notice, the interviewer asks him questions on the purpose of life and whatnot, which is something you'd ask a philosopher, not a rock group frontman. And I'll bet you the reason she asked him questions like that has something to do with the way he presents himself.

Honestly, I think the fanbase is most responsible for Maynard's pseudo-philosopher status. I don't think he's a truly pretentious guy at all. His fans, on the other hand, truly believe that Tool writes the deepest, most intricate music EVER in the entire world, and that if you don't like Tool, it's because Maynard's lyrics are too deep and amazing for you to comprehend. Maynard downplays his lyrics by basically saying their songs are "angry", whereas fans would say, "Oh but there's SO MUCH to them that you just couldn't understand!"

There is one Tool album that's called "Lateralus", and the title is fairly deep in regards to the storyline of the album... but fans have gotten so obsessed that there are rumors about how if you listen to the songs in different lateralus patterns, you get a different story. Tool has never, ever said anything about this... but the fans seem to glorify Maynard and the band, and embellish so much. Perhaps the interviewers who ask him stupid philosophical questions are such fans... or they're reading off fan questions.

I think Maynard's disposition and demeanor is the result of drugs, honestly.

bighead384
01-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Those are good points, especially your comments about the fan base.

"only the fans know what beautifal images and lyrics and mathmatical equasions are going through this mans head as he speak so we all want the bitch to STFU the man is a god"

LOL, that's a comment from the below video. Maynard really acts like an asshole in this interview...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=grX2SZEe27w&feature=related

Llamas
01-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Those are good points, especially your comments about the fan base.

"only the fans know what beautifal images and lyrics and mathmatical equasions are going through this mans head as he speak so we all want the bitch to STFU the man is a god"

LOL, that's a comment from the below video. Maynard really acts like an asshole in this interview...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=grX2SZEe27w&feature=related

I do hate that Maynard doesn't denounce the bullshit his fans spew, but rather just lets people think he's really that deep.

haha, he was kind of a dick to her, but she annoyed the fuck out of me. I know Maynard has never enjoyed doing MTV interviews and the like, so I'm not really surprised. They've never been much of an MTV band in my opinion.

Seriously, though, that interviewer sucked ass.

Free?
01-01-2009, 06:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=S8MXJ2jCXNA
Maynard is really on his own mind.

bighead384
01-02-2009, 11:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=S8MXJ2jCXNA
Maynard is really on his own mind.

Man, he looks like a fucking teacher or something in that video. Maynard interviews are always pretty entertaining. BTW, even though I kinda think Maynard is a goon, I love Tool, especially Lateralus and any of the albums before it.

findout5
01-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Maynard is great...but he does weird stuff!
One thing that I kind of find annoying with him...with Tool and APC he's very...he doesn't like to appear anywhere! Very press shy. Like they never do cd signings in stores when the albums come out, etc. But, with his fucking wine, this fucker is on every place that sells wine giving autographs!!

Axl Rose has to win the most pretentious frontman title though! Hate that fucker!

bighead384
01-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Axl Rose has to win the most pretentious frontman title though! Hate that fucker!

"His role has been played for years. Ever since the beginning of rock and roll, there's been an Axl Rose. And it's just boring. It's totally boring to me. Why it's such a fresh and new thing in his eyes is obviously because it's happening to him personally and he's such an egotistical person that he thinks that the whole world owes him something." -Kurt Cobain

Cock Joke
01-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Scott Stapp and Bono both tie on my list.

Jakebert
01-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Scott Stapp is a douche, but I wouldn't call him pretentious. There's a difference, but for some reason, I can't exactly put my finger on it for now.

My answer is Brandon Boyd, which should come as no surprise to anyone here that knows me. Pretentiousness of musicians doesn't bother me much, because a lot of indie-art-bands are pretentious as hell, but they pull it off by at least being smart. What does bother me are bands that are pretentious with no real reason to be, and Brandon Boyd is the best example of that ever. The dude tries so hard to sound smart by using big words in his music/speech, but if you pay attention, most of the time he uses them in contexts which make absolutely no sense, mispronounces them, or makes up completely new words by having no idea what he's trying to say.

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2009, 01:32 PM
The thing that kills me about everyone jumping on Bono for being pretentious is that...well, at least he's actually trying to do some good in the world. It kills me that this is overlooked so much. About 90% of frontmen are pretentious assholes, but the one who's a pretentious asshole while actually trying to accomplish something good in the world is the one who gets the most venom, rather than the dumbass who can barely write a song and does nothing but drugs and shit in his spare time.

Both do that really annoying and self-congratulatory bullshit. I think Bono gets the hate because of his accent, honestly (yes, that is what little faith I have in all of your general intelligence. Sorry it had to come out this way, lol)

I mean, yeah Bono's a dick, but is AIDS education in Africa really such a bad thing?!

Llamas
01-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Another huge thing (and this goes for Brandon Boyd and Anthony Kiedis) is when singers of bands dominate their bands' videos TOPLESS. Incubus's video for Drive? RCHP's video for anything... ever? Seriously... Scott Stapp dominated Creed videos a lot, but at least he wore shirts. Maynard is virtually never in ANY videos from his bands.

This also brings up the singer from All American Rejects, and how he's the focus of all their videos. I hate that shit.

Jakebert
01-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Agreed 100%, and that's why I didn't mention Bono. Despite what everyone wants to say about him, he does a lot of great things for the world, and because of that, I can ignore the fact that he's smug.

0r4ng3
01-02-2009, 01:39 PM
I mean, yeah Bono's a dick, but is AIDS education in Africa really such a bad thing?!
I think part of the venom directed at Bono is the fact that we're all cynics. People give him shit not because he's trying to change the world, but because they know he can't.

Thomas
01-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Dexter Holland.

What a douche bag.

Llamas
01-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Jesse brought up a good point. It's wonderful that Bono uses his money in good ways, absolutely. However, he really does boast way more... that he's changing the world, saving lives, etc, etc. He tries to make it sound like he's CURING AIDS, and not just giving money toward finding a cure. He's a douche. Giving money to what you believe to be good causes is certainly a good thing... but throwing money at people and then boasting that you're doing all these wonderful things is just eww. However, he's not nearly as bad as others mentioned in this thread.

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2009, 01:49 PM
However, he really does boast way more... that he's changing the world, saving lives, etc, etc.

I also think this is just way overblown. I'm not saying he doesn't boast (he does), but people seriously overstate his boasting just because they don't like that he's doing anything at all.

But my original point remains: it's better to boast about contributing to possibly curing AIDS than boast about doing absolutely fucking nothing the way 90% of other frontmen and people do.

IamSam
01-02-2009, 02:03 PM
How about Billie Joe?

Free?
01-02-2009, 02:28 PM
I don't think Billie Joe could reach the top of the most pretentious frontmen. All this mess around American Idiot's break through made armies of Green Day haters and lovers, it became "cool" to either be "emo" and love GD or either to be anti-emo and hate GD like there's nothing in between which I find very wrong. He seems great on concerts, he isn't even close to the title of the biggest rockstar poser, I like his interviews, but he likes sometimes to sound intelligent I have to admit.

Jakebert
01-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Billie Joe can be cocky, but I wouldn't say he's overly pretentious. At least not anymore pretentious than every other frontman in music history.

jacknife737
01-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Brandon Flowers -I mean, i like the Killers and everything, but lots of times when i see him get interviewed i just want to scream. Not to mention their entire stage set up, music videos, ect, ect, ect.

I'd also say Zack de la Rocha, but i find him to be more self righteous then pretentious.

IamSam
01-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Billie Joe can be cocky, but I wouldn't say he's overly pretentious. At least not anymore pretentious than every other frontman in music history.

True. I just threw his name out there.

T-6005
01-02-2009, 03:44 PM
I am truly amazed that the Gallagher brothers haven't come up yet. Dudes love themselves more than any of their fans ever could.

Although I suppose if we're drawing a line between pretentious and arrogant they really wouldn't belong.

Jakebert
01-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I completely forgot about them. Every time I watch an interview with either of them, I tend to want to hit them about a quarter of the way through.

bighead384
01-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Jim Morrison seemed pretty pretentious, but I really like his music/lyrics so I'm not as bothered by it. It's a somewhat justified pretentiousness. Although I don't think I've ever seen an interview of him.

wheelchairman
01-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I agree with Johnny. You should hate Bono for his annoying voice and annoying songs, stuff like eliminating 3rd world debt is about as progressive as you can get.

Besides, exaggerating what he's trying to accomplish also furthers his cause and gains more attention to it. So by being pretentious he's actually doing some good for the world, as unfair as that is.

And on top of all those faults, he's still nowhere near as pretentious as Billy Corgan who for a while was publishing his own autobiography on his website until he got bored of doing that.

And while that's pretentious, I certainly enjoyed reading it, although it was whiney. But then again if I didn't like hearing Billy Corgan whine, I wouldn't listen to his music.

Ninty Man
01-05-2009, 12:48 PM
David Lee Roth

The drama of Van Halen in the eighties, and now the reunion are so laaaameeee..!!!
Axl ROse: I really like Chinese democracy...but more than ten years???
Kurt Cobain: I'm so glad the he's dead

findout5
01-07-2009, 06:13 AM
Van Halen does suck ass.
But Nirvana was great and Kurt was if anything shy about success.

Jim Morrison is a great choice. He was awfull! The Doors suck. But I don't think he was pretentious...just overrated! It's a different thing.

Noel Gallagher back in Oasis heyday was a real jerk :)

Jakebert
01-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Actually, contrary to popular belief, Kurt was now shy about fame and actually did everything in his power to gain fame and attention. He even famously called his record label to complain that his videos weren't played on MTV enough, and this was after they had gotten big.

mrconeman
01-07-2009, 12:18 PM
I think people miss-read the Gallaghers alot. While Liam is a pretentious almost totally talentless full of himself whiney bastard, Noel is full of himself, I'll give you that, but alot of the time people are calling him pretentious or an asshole, he's just being sarcastic/funny. And alot of the comments he makes that stirr things up tend to be completely true. He likes to point out that he's broken sales records, he likes to point out that the whole Oasis/Blur thing settled squarely in their favour, he likes to point out they've been around for over a decade, and he likes to point out that he thinks some of his songs are brilliant. All of these have truth to them, and he'll also point out that he actually thinks Blur are a great band, some of his songs are shit, and he wishes he never made some of their albums.

I dislike the Bono hate aswell. He's quite pretentious and egotistical obviously, but the fact is he's a fantastic songwriter, and a good singer, JN makes a great point in that at least he's trying to help, whereas every other egotist is just an egotist. Fuck it, I'd be an egotist too if I wrote the Joshua Tree.

I've edited this post about 30 times now, but someone should probably mention Roger Waters probably being the bigest egotist in the world leading up to and especially after The Wall.

WerGee
01-07-2009, 12:53 PM
hh...pues :)..Liam = no coment..his fights with journalists are funny ;)

mrconeman
01-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Tom Delonge.

Llamas
01-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Tom Delonge.

If there ever was a QFT, it'd be here.

I don't know much about the Oasis guys, so I won't comment there. Same with the Pink Floyd guy.

We all know I'm biased against U2 and Bono :P

wheelchairman
01-07-2009, 04:07 PM
I think that guy from the Sex Pistols is pretty bad too.

The one that's alive I mean.

jacknife737
01-07-2009, 05:18 PM
I think people miss-read the Gallaghers alot. While Liam is a pretentious almost totally talentless full of himself whiney bastard, Noel is full of himself, I'll give you that, but alot of the time people are calling him pretentious or an asshole, he's just being sarcastic/funny. And alot of the comments he makes that stirr things up tend to be completely true. He likes to point out that he's broken sales records, he likes to point out that the whole Oasis/Blur thing settled squarely in their favour, he likes to point out they've been around for over a decade, and he likes to point out that he thinks some of his songs are brilliant. All of these have truth to them, and he'll also point out that he actually thinks Blur are a great band, some of his songs are shit, and he wishes he never made some of their albums.

This.

Are the Gallaghers cocky, arrogant and full of themselves? Sure, but i wouldn't call them pretentious. They're quite up front with the fact that they are rich rockstars, they don't try and hide who they are, or even call themselves "artists". Noel seems like the kind of guy, i wouldn't mind grabbing a pint at a pub with.

Ninty Man
01-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Van Halen does suck ass.
But Nirvana was great and Kurt was if anything shy about success.

Jim Morrison is a great choice. He was awfull! The Doors suck. But I don't think he was pretentious...just overrated! It's a different thing.

Noel Gallagher back in Oasis heyday was a real jerk :)

LOL, I guess you can play like Van Halen -or better- to say that.

Cobain was a total sold out.

mrconeman
01-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Tom Delonge.
I'd like to retract this statement based on the fact that Delonge doesn't qualify as a man.

Yes, and I'm sure you can play better than every band you don't like in order to justify your opinion of them. Stop being retarded.

bighead384
01-07-2009, 06:24 PM

I don't see how anyone could say The Doors suck. They're such creative songwriters. I'm not saying you have to like them, but they're really talented.

Ninty Man
01-07-2009, 07:21 PM
I'd like to retract this statement based on the fact that Delonge doesn't qualify as a man.

Yes, and I'm sure you can play better than every band you don't like in order to justify your opinion of them. Stop being retarded.

Better that Nirvana, that's for sure

mrconeman
01-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Not exactly something to brag about.

findout5
01-08-2009, 04:58 AM

Cobain was a total sold out.

I play more tastefully than Van Halen - and 90% of guitar players out there do! The whole tapping thing...it can be a nice technique if you aply it only when needed!

Cobain felt like a sell out and that's why he took his life. But he wasn't. He was great, a very gifted songwriter.

findout5
01-08-2009, 04:59 AM
I don't see how anyone could say The Doors suck. They're such creative songwriters. I'm not saying you have to like them, but they're really talented.

I can see you take drugs. :p

one hundred punks
01-08-2009, 05:16 AM
"His role has been played for years. Ever since the beginning of rock and roll, there's been an Axl Rose. And it's just boring. It's totally boring to me. Why it's such a fresh and new thing in his eyes is obviously because it's happening to him personally and he's such an egotistical person that he thinks that the whole world owes him something." -Kurt Cobain

Well I could say that Axl is still here and making great music but instead I will say that Axl Rose is a far better singer/songwriter than Kurt Cobain. Yeah that might not be the TRU PUNX thing to say but its true. KC never wrote a November Rain/Coma type song.

holland25
01-08-2009, 05:44 AM
I'd also say Zack de la Rocha, but i find him to be more self righteous then pretentious.

Well, in my opinion Zack is one of the most educated and intelligent frontmans in the music world. Don't think he is pretentious at all.

My vote goes to Brandon Boyd too.

Ninty Man
01-08-2009, 08:18 AM
I play more tastefully than Van Halen - and 90% of guitar players out there do! The whole tapping thing...it can be a nice technique if you aply it only when needed!

Cobain felt like a sell out and that's why he took his life. But he wasn't. He was great, a very gifted songwriter.

LOL, Dude... Van Halen is THE SHIT on guitar... well, OK, Van Halen III is one of the worst albums in history, but Balance, that's how you must play guitar!
Cobain was a douchebag, soldout.

findout5
01-08-2009, 08:41 AM
LOL, Dude... Van Halen is THE SHIT on guitar... well, OK, Van Halen III is one of the worst albums in history, but Balance, that's how you must play guitar!
Cobain was a douchebag, soldout.

You are my nemesis man! lol We can't agree on anything!
How the guitar was meant to be played: Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love!:p

JohnnyNemesis
01-08-2009, 03:06 PM
No, THIS is how guitar should be played:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MI-_jWAmlE

Hehe, I never get tired of that one...

nieh
01-08-2009, 03:15 PM
I really, really hope that's Fred Durst right there.

JohnnyNemesis
01-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Haha, come on. You know how I do.

Sorta on topic: I love that in the Related Videos, there's an interview with that moron from Slipknot saying "Fred Durst is not an artist!" and saying that Limp Bizkit makes processed and packaged music...WHILE HE'S WEARING HIS FUCKING MASK HOLY SHIT.

It's fucking amazing. Accusing someone of making "packaged" music while in compleeeeete gimmick mode. He actually accuses Durst of being a businessman first and an artist second...WHILE WEARING HIS MASK.

I just can't get over it. It's like Hitler saying Mel Gibson is too harsh on the jews.

Tyler Durden
01-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Lupe Fiasco

Llamas
01-08-2009, 08:57 PM

I've seen that before at some point, but holy shit I love it. I used to be a Limp Bizkit fan in high school... Fred Durst had quite literally no talent. I keep watching that video, hoping that one time I'd be like "ohhh I get it, it's not a bad solo, it's just weird". Hasn't happened.

mrconeman
01-08-2009, 09:51 PM
You've seen Fred Durst.
Now watch Shred Durst: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D0PbOk6GgmY

Jakebert
01-08-2009, 09:55 PM
That's easily one of my all-time favorite Youtube videos ever.

mrconeman
01-08-2009, 10:11 PM
I used to talk to the guy that uploaded it. He's on a guitar forum, and videod it, the guy playing Shred Durst is his guitar teacher. Theres a few in the Shred series, they're all pretty awesome.

Llamas
01-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Yeah that guy's a pretty awesome guitarist. Fairly amusing video. :)

bighead384
01-08-2009, 11:25 PM

Wait...he actually was trying to be good in that video?

Ninty Man
01-09-2009, 08:43 AM
You are my nemesis man! lol We can't agree on anything!
How the guitar was meant to be played: Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love!:p

Well... Hendrix is better that anyone... even better that God Fred Durst

mrconeman
01-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Well... Hendrix is better that anyone...

*facepalm* *headdesk*

WerGee
01-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Brian Johnson

T-6005
01-09-2009, 02:02 PM
I don't get how people can actually say that Jim Morrison had no talent. I just don't.

JohnnyNemesis
01-09-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't get how people can actually say that Jim Morrison had no talent. I just don't.

In the hypercritical age, anyone with a lot of fame had no talent. It's a prerequisite. Duh.

RonWelty
01-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Dexter Holland.

But I love him.

bighead384
01-09-2009, 02:32 PM
I've always thought that Rivers from Weezer seemed pretentious in a more subtle way.

RonWelty
01-09-2009, 02:33 PM
I've always thought that Rivers from Weezer seemed pretentious in a more subtle way.

yes he is. He's like Greg Graffin and Dexter. They all think they're the smartest punk/alternative band vocalist in the world.

findout5
01-09-2009, 05:11 PM
yes he is. He's like Greg Graffin and Dexter. They all think they're the smartest punk/alternative band vocalist in the world.

But Rivers wears glasses - that makes him geekier :p Therefore, smarter! LOL

You know who's pretentious? Rui Reininho :p :rolleyes:

Llamas
01-09-2009, 05:25 PM

I always thought he seemed like an attention seeker, but not really pretentious. I think he tries too hard to seem like he's a shy sweetheart, and that makes him seem kinda egotistical.

Ninty Man
01-09-2009, 05:41 PM
*facepalm* *headdesk*

WHAT??? he's better that most of the guitar players who lives... chuck berry still lives???

RonWelty
01-09-2009, 05:50 PM
But Rivers wears glasses - that makes him geekier :p Therefore, smarter! LOL

You know who's pretentious? Rui Reininho :p :rolleyes:

and i love him and G.N.R....

findout5
01-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Hehe - I knew that already! :p

Free?
01-09-2009, 06:12 PM

NNope. Dexter usually use a couple of his common answers to the common questions in interviews, they are not that deep and if there's Noodles, then it's a totally open buddy talk.

This thread is called "Most pretentious frontman", let's not forget that.

jacknife737
01-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I get the Greg Graffin and Rivers Cumo mentions, but i don't really see what's pretentious about Dexter. I mean, we're talking about the dude who wrote "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy).

RonWelty
01-09-2009, 06:28 PM
I get the Greg Graffin and Rivers Cumo mentions, but i don't really see what's pretentious about Dexter. I mean, we're talking about the dude who wrote "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy).
You really don't get Dexter. Ask rutegard. She met him and she said he acted like he was superior. Ask her.

Dexter has a twisted mind, I'm telling you.

Free?
01-09-2009, 06:30 PM
You really don't get Dexter. Ask rutegard. She met him and she said he acted like he was superior. Ask her.

Dexter has a twisted mind, I'm telling you.

She met him once, right?

Ninty Man
01-09-2009, 06:35 PM

Unfortunately, Graffin is a punk rocker who is as smart as many NObel prizes...

jacknife737
01-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Well he is a rock star. And you're right, i have yet to meet Dexter; that said, arrogant does not equal "pretentious". Regardless of how he acts in his personal life, his public persona is certainly not what I would consider to be "pretentious".

And this thread is trying to focus on who is the most pretentious.

Unfortunately, Graffin is a punk rocker who is as smart as many NObel prizes...

He's a smart guy, no argument there. He's still pretentious though.

Ninty Man
01-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Well he is a rock star. And you're right, i have yet to meet Dexter; that said, arrogant does not equal "pretentious". Regardless of how he acts in his personal life, his public persona is certainly not what I would consider to be "pretentious".

And this thread is trying to focus on who is the most pretentious.

He's a smart guy, no argument there. He's still pretentious though.

How is he pretentious?

Rag Doll
01-09-2009, 11:13 PM
when it comes to Dexter...I met him many many years ago (jesus fuck, coming up on a decade ago...i'm old...)....and he was incredibly nice.

i say billy corgan. but i also think he has every reason to act how he does...

IamSam
01-10-2009, 12:49 AM
Kanye West?

jacknife737
01-10-2009, 02:25 AM
How is he pretentious?

Um, have you read any bad religion lyrics lately? I mean, i love the band, and what Mr. Graffin does, but holy fuck, that man is pretentious. Just check out a few recent interviews that he's done.

JohnnyNemesis
01-10-2009, 02:28 AM
http://www.mitchclem.com/nothingnice/comics/20050606.gif

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 03:56 AM
This is an interesting topic: I've had first and second hand experiences with a few of the mentioned people:

Greg Graffin, Dexter and Fred Durst aren't the least bit pretentious... they are actually quite cool nice and down to earth. Fred Durst's public persona isn't very impressive, but face to face he's a nice guy, very loyal and nice to his fans (or at least was in 99/00 when I last met him)

The biggest and most hollow douchebag I've seen in person or somewhat in person anyway would be (a little bit) Billie Joe Armstrong (although the rest of the band is super cool), Axl Rose, but the grand daddy of pretentiousness is Jon Davis from Korn. I've seen the dude ignore members of their opening band, and have his thug answer for him.

Which is sad because he tries to come off as this sad lonely kid who got picked on and bullied and shit, yet he's the most arrogant rockstarish person I've ever encountered who couldn't give a shit about his fans. I knew some dude who was a VJ for and interviewed them who was such a huge Korn fan he was getting his leg autographed by the entire band, and (this was a festival) had it tattood on like 10 minute later, and Jon Davis couldn't be bothered to sign his leg... he approached him (the dude - davis was walking around with an oxygen tank on wheels) and showed him his fresh tats of like Munkey's and Fieldy's autograph, and with out even ANSWERING Davis shook his head and walked away.

Also Tom DeLonge deserves special mention, for the mere fact that when their show was over, by the time I walked around the stage, and went backstage they were already all on the tour bus and had left. Didn't really impress me, although later I had heard they had a cold or something, but still...

Llamas
01-10-2009, 05:08 AM
Jonathon Davis has always seemed like a dick to me. However, getting people's autographs tattooed on you is like, super weird. Maybe he was just creeped out, haha. But I hate Korn, so I'm fine with thinking Davis is an asshat.

Lol @ Tom Delonge having a cold. His singing voice might actually sound better as such...

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Jonathon Davis has always seemed like a dick to me. However, getting people's autographs tattooed on you is like, super weird. Maybe he was just creeped out, haha. But I hate Korn, so I'm fine with thinking Davis is an asshat.

Lol @ Tom Delonge having a cold. His singing voice might actually sound better as such...

Um... Tattoos in and of themselves really devide people, and I would grant you that argument, if Korn wasn't a super protattoo band, like limp bizkit is as well.

I've always actually liked both those bands, so Korn was a super disappointment for me, but the biggest assholes of all have to be the guys from placebo.

I was standing backstage at a festival talking to my cusin and some other guy was standing there with us, who was a photo reporter, and some dick head walks up to cuts in my word and goes: "Ok, so the band came out of their dressing room now, they are gonna sit down, wait a few minutes and then you can go over there and talk to them and get their autographs, but no pictures"..

and I'm like "dude, I'm talking to my cusin here, and WHO THE HELL are you?" he's like "I'm placebos tour manager", and I'm like "so do you need something?" and he walks off without saying anything.

Turns out the guys from placebo sat down to the table like a yard behind where we were standing.. then some fans are allowed in or whatever, and the chick from the band is like with this thick ass english accent "absolutley naw fuhin fo toes"
Oh my...

Llamas
01-10-2009, 05:33 AM
I don't really get how the band was pretentious, when it was really the tour manager that was rude.

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 05:36 AM
I don't really get how the band was pretentious, when it was really the tour manager that was rude.

Well I mean we were standing there while they were interacting with their fans.. and it was totally like "ok we'll sink down to their level".. they were all in makeup and shit and wouldn't take their pictures with their fans, one of them had a "I like to make boys cry" shirt on..

I just don't like that shit.. the whole band is one big pretentious pose.

I'm much more fond of bands like slipknot, who do have that quality on stage, but face to face and person to person they're super nice and humble and fun to hang around with and shit...

mrconeman
01-10-2009, 10:47 AM
WHAT??? he's better that most of the guitar players who lives... chuck berry still lives???
Well already you've corrected yourself. A minute ago you said nobody was better, now you're saying hes only better than most.
That plus theres no such thing as the greatest guitarist. And music is subjective. And if there was a greatest Hendrix wouldn't even be near the top of that list. And I'm so fucking sick of repeating this. And I hate the world. And stop believing everything you read in rolling stone top 100 guitar player lists.

Though lets stop talking about Hendrix, he wasn't pretentious.

wheelchairman
01-10-2009, 11:11 AM
No, but listening to a whole album is really fucking boring.

Ninty Man
01-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Um, have you read any bad religion lyrics lately? I mean, i love the band, and what Mr. Graffin does, but holy fuck, that man is pretentious. Just check out a few recent interviews that he's done.

The interviews when they interview him as a man of science... well, I don't know what you expect. As a punk rocker, he's more down to earth, but hey... the man is a big brain bastard, and I admire him - I wish I could be half smart he is-

I know his lyrics are way too complicated, but... well, I have a pal who studies biology and he nearly has an orgasm with the science- social metaphoric lyrics. I think that maybe he's just not a simple person