PDA

View Full Version : RAFRAG a Flop?!

yudabao
01-02-2009, 03:01 PM
http://cleveland.metromix.com/music/paginated_roundup/the-20-biggest-flops/860159/content?page=15

any one want to comment this by me?:(

bighead384
01-02-2009, 03:06 PM
That guy thinks RAFRAG was going to be titled Chinese Democracy. He's wrong, it was Splinter.

KrispyNotKrunchy
01-02-2009, 03:09 PM
I love RAFRAG, but honestly I've seen nothing but terrible reviews from critics... but even considering that, I would never consider it a "record holding" flop of 2008!

jacknife737
01-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Well, the author does have a point, if you're talking about strictly album sales, RAFRAG has been selling lower then any of the band's previous efforts (post Ignition). However, they fail to take into account that album sales are down considerable since 2003, people just aren't buying albums anymore. Not to mention the lack of fact checking regarding the album's supposed title.

Also, it's more then a bit arrogant to assume that album sales mean anything; most of my favorite albums of the year, will sell less then 50 000.

bighead384
01-02-2009, 03:12 PM
I guess you could call it a flop by some definition of the word, but it really depends what you consider a flop. I guess you could call it a commercial flop, although the first two singles have been about as successful as you could expect Offspring songs to be nowadays.

Edit: Also, it's a little too early to count RAFRAG out. It's never going to go platinum or anything, but there's still time for sales to increase. They haven't even done the tour for it yet...

Kennytar
01-02-2009, 03:12 PM
That guy thinks RAFRAG was going to be titled Chinese Democracy. He's wrong, it was Splinter.

If i remember correctly then they oked AFTER splinter that they will name the next album CHinese Democracy and the names "bad charma" (or what ever u call it) delayed the album. :cool:

jacknife737
01-02-2009, 03:17 PM
I guess you could call it a flop by some definition of the word, but it really depends what you consider flop. I guess you could call it a commercial flop, although the first two singles have been about as successful as you could expect Offspring songs to be nowadays.

That's true; RAFRAG has spawned two of the band's best received singles in years. Not to mention that it debut within the top 10 of the Billboard 200; that's not a bad accomplishment, considering the state of the music industry. Splinter debut at 30; so i think it's safe to say, that should RAFRAG came out in 2003, instead of Splinter, it's sales would have surpassed it by now.

Oxygene
01-02-2009, 03:18 PM
The Offspring just can't get it right somehow.. if they sell 0 records on an indie lable they suck, if they sell millions of records on an indie label they suck, if they sell millions of records on a multi they suck, and if they sell 0 on a multi they suck.

The Offspring guys a completley clueless bunch of idiots... whatever they do it's a flop.

Oxygene
01-02-2009, 03:19 PM
If i remember correctly then they oked AFTER splinter that they will name the next album CHinese Democracy and the names "bad charma" (or what ever u call it) delayed the album. :cool:

u remember wrong my friend.. splinter was gonna be called chinese democracy... or it wasn't it was an april fools joke.. whatever.

Cock Joke
01-02-2009, 04:20 PM
What the fuck!? Gonna Go Far has been #1 on the rock chart for months, Hammerhead's been high up there and there's many more singles to go!

And he's wrong about it selling less than 200,000. It was established that it sold over 600,000. Also, it was Splinter that he was gonna call Chinese Democracy!

That guy's just fuckin' wrong all over the place! :rolleyes:

findout5
01-02-2009, 04:23 PM
The sales are a flop...not the record!
This has been discussed to death. I Hope they release a 3rd single that is fucking contagious and makes people want to hear the record. To be aware of it!

jacknife737
01-02-2009, 04:30 PM
And he's wrong about it selling less than 200,000. It was established that it sold over 600,000.

The author is talking about US sales only.

RageAndLov
01-02-2009, 05:05 PM
The author is talking about US sales only.

Why is the sales in the US so important? I don't get it. He should have said that the album is a flop in the American commercial market, instead of just saying it's a flop.

Anyway, I'm interested in which albums you consider one of the best of 2008 :)

jacknife737
01-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Why is the sales in the US so important? I don't get it. He should have said that the album is a flop in the American commercial market, instead of just saying it's a flop.

Anyway, I'm interested in which albums you consider one of the best of 2008 :)

Well, i'm not trying to defend the author, but they are writing for an American publication and primarily an American audience, so that's why i'm assuming they only care about US sales.

As for me? haha, Well, i made a top 10 list of my favorite albums of 2008; check out the first post of this thread http://offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35639

My top five (non-offspring of course) were,

Dillinger Four – Civil War
Gaslight Anthem – the 59 Sound
The Real McKenzies – Off the Leash
Off With Their Heads – From the Bottom
Less Than Jake – GV FLA

RageAndLov
01-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Well, i'm not trying to defend the author, but they are writing for an American publication and primarily an American audience, so that's why i'm assuming they only care about US sales.

Makes sence i guess.

As for me? haha, Well, i made a top 10 list of my favorite albums of 2008; check out the first post of this thread http://offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35639

My top five (non-offspring of course) were,

Dillinger Four – Civil War
Gaslight Anthem – the 59 Sound
The Real McKenzies – Off the Leash
Off With Their Heads – From the Bottom
Less Than Jake – GV FLA

Dillinger Four is cool, haven't heard their newest album though.
I also liked Westside Highway EP of PHGP :)

And one more thing. Have Off With Their Heads taken their name from The Offspring song Beheaded? Off-topic I know.

Little_Miss_1565
01-02-2009, 07:10 PM

It's generally understood without being mentioned explicitly that when American journalists discuss record sales in the American press, they're only talking about American sales unless they mention that the number is worldwide. And since they're an American band, I think it's understandable why this guy is only talking about domestic sales. But I think it's selling the band short in a lot of ways, which is something that a lot of journalists and others are quick to do. It's lame.

IamSam
01-02-2009, 07:27 PM
And one more thing. Have Off With Their Heads taken their name from The Offspring song Beheaded? Off-topic I know.

Alice in Wonderland actually. Or any king or queen in the middle ages.

Omni
01-02-2009, 08:01 PM
RaFRaG isn't even the most infuriating one. Look at #5. It's Usher's album. That album, according to the article, has sold 1,100,000 in the U.S alone. Since when is Platinum a flop under ANY circumstances? No one follows up to an album that sells 10,000,000 just as strong. I don't think it's ever once happened. The success of the following album is almost gauranteed to be cut in half, if not lower. Linkin Parks' "Hybrid Theory" is Diamond, while the follow-up "Meteora" is 4x platinum. Green Day's "Dookie" is Diamond, the follow-up? 2x platinum. Not to mention, as jacknife said, album sales have been in a slump since the invention of the iPod and since high-speed Internet became affordable to almost everyone. When people don't have to download one song every 15-20 minutes on a 56K modem, I think it's no surprise that sales have slumped.

The best selling album of 2008 was Alicia Keys' "As I Am," which is 3x platinum, yet an album with one-third of that sale is not only considered to be a flop, but the 5th biggest flop of the entire year? What? Fuck you. I've never in my life seen a more uninformed, untalented journalist. Shit like this just makes me angry.

Iwishitallaway
01-02-2009, 08:31 PM
RaFRaG isn't even the most infuriating one. Look at #5. It's Usher's album. That album, according to the article, has sold 1,100,000 in the U.S alone. Since when is Platinum a flop under ANY circumstances? No one follows up to an album that sells 10,000,000 just as strong. I don't think it's ever once happened. The success of the following album is almost gauranteed to be cut in half, if not lower. Linkin Parks' "Hybrid Theory" is Diamond, while the follow-up "Meteora" is 4x platinum. Green Day's "Dookie" is Diamond, the follow-up? 2x platinum. Not to mention, as jacknife said, album sales have been in a slump since the invention of the iPod and since high-speed Internet became affordable to almost everyone. When people don't have to download one song every 15-20 minutes on a 56K modem, I think it's no surprise that sales have slumped.

The best selling album of 2008 was Alicia Keys' "As I Am," which is 3x platinum, yet an album with one-third of that sale is not only considered to be a flop, but the 5th biggest flop of the entire year? What? Fuck you. I've never in my life seen a more uninformed, untalented journalist. Shit like this just makes me angry.

I'm impressed, nice research! You know more than me...

Jesus
01-03-2009, 02:23 AM
Next time just copy the complete article from the site and then just add a source below it. The only reason critics of any kind (music, movies, arts etc) are still employed in today's world, when most content is available to most people, is to drive up controversy and send hits too newspaper sites while normal journalists get fired.

Don't feed the trolls.

Oxygene
01-03-2009, 03:55 AM
Next time just copy the complete article from the site and then just add a source below it. The only reason critics of any kind (music, movies, arts etc) are still employed in today's world, when most content is available to most people, is to drive up controversy and send hits too newspaper sites while normal journalists get fired.

Don't feed the trolls.

quoted for smart/truth

zsk
01-03-2009, 04:47 AM
there's s.th. that's true on this article,in germany billy talent were succesfuller with their second album as offspring with rafrag i can't remember that i heard a song from RAFRAG on the radio or seen a video on (m)tv

weezly
01-03-2009, 07:17 AM
in 1998 everyone loved them and then they hated them for giving them a song that they all loved. now there hated for not being popular. oxy nailed it

findout5
01-03-2009, 07:59 AM
You know, the article isn't slamming the band or the record! It's just saying the record didn't sell as much as it was expected. And that is true. Period! Let's not make a big fuss about it!

Desperado
01-03-2009, 09:15 AM
^Correct. It's not about which band has the lowest sales, but who had the most unexpectedly low. I don't consider RAFRAG a flop because I never really expected it to sell that much, honestly.

The biggest flop was probably Soulja Boy. He only did 30k...Ouch.

norsefire
01-03-2009, 09:38 AM
I really enjoyed RAFRAG!!... I think it's the best stuff they have released since S/t-Ignition-smash era! so, I don't really care if it sells millions and millions of copies in the US or not; people who really love & enjoy offspring have bought it and played it infinite times since then, and that's all that matters! :cool:

bouncingcoles
01-03-2009, 12:38 PM
i wouldnt say it was a flop really because no one really had any real expectations for the album except us. and comparing it to splinter in terms of sales doesnt make sense since album sales have dropped so much since 2003

holland25
01-04-2009, 04:00 AM
According to Wikipedia, RAFRAG sold over 1,520,000 copies worldwide and went 3x Platinum in Australia. I wouldn't consider it a flop...

randman21
01-04-2009, 04:19 AM
Wikipedia:

As of January 3rd, 2009, it has sold 401,638 copies in the US.

Wow. I consider this to be a great success and way more than I thought. Didn't someone just say they only sold 500,000 worldwide?

jacknife737
01-04-2009, 04:48 AM
I wouldn't trust any numbers on wikipedia, that didn't have a source. For example, that number for the US is just plain wrong; its only sold around 200k in the US.

Rutegard
01-04-2009, 05:28 AM
i wouldnt say it was a flop really because no one really had any real expectations for the album except us. and comparing it to splinter in terms of sales doesnt make sense since album sales have dropped so much since 2003

this is rather true! shall we not forget bout those who completely forget about them!
the rest of the world aint like us!

findout5
01-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Not to be a party pooper, but Splinter was also a sales flop!
This new generation doesn't know enough about them...

Oxygene
01-04-2009, 06:35 AM
I don't know how much you guys know about the music business but any punk rock band selling around a million (or 2,3 million) copies isn't a flop... just because there are a few exceptions sometimes, you can't realistically expect bands like green day and offspring to sell 10 million albums

hangovered
01-04-2009, 07:08 AM
I just don't get it. If they sell a lot of albums, you complain it's "sell out", if they don't-it's a flop.(saying you I don't mean YOU;)) Maybe guy who wrote this article was expecting better selling album becouse the band was saying that RAFRAG is the best album they ever did. And when I read what you guys writting here I see this album wasn't a complete flop, it just wasn't as well selled as Smash or Americana.

dff_punk
01-04-2009, 08:22 AM
I just don't get it. If they sell a lot of albums, you complain it's "sell out", if they don't-it's a flop.

I've never been in a long time in such an agreement here. Unfortunately, you never can please everyone. Just, chill out all the complainers from both sides.

findout5
01-04-2009, 09:28 AM
The sales problem with RAFRAG isn't that it sold less than Smash/Americana - that is normal! The problem is that it sold even less than Splinter - which was the album that had little sales since 1994. Less than Ixnay ad CO1 (which sold less than Smash/Americana, but still sold great).
That is worrying. And I'm not worried qualitywise, cos' it's a nice record. It's worrying just because their sales have been dropping since CO1, and when bands release albums that sell less and less and less...we all know what happens!

randman21
01-04-2009, 10:29 AM
I wouldn't trust any numbers on wikipedia, that didn't have a source. For example, that number for the US is just plain wrong; its only sold around 200k in the US.
Yeah, I have no idea why I quoted that. I even said as I read it "Gee, this doesn't have a source." I guess I got lost in the excitement :P

RobinoZombie
01-04-2009, 11:06 AM
"the Offspring’s ponderously titled eighth album has sold fewer than 200,000 copies to date—less than half the total sales of the band’s previous effort, 2003"

Splinter havent sold around 4-500 000. it must have sold a bit over a million right?

findout5
01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Worldwide sold more than a million, but in the US it only went Gold (500.000).

Omni
01-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Splinter sold about 600,000 in the U.S, and around 1,700,000 worldwide. RaFRaG is somewhere between 180,000 - 200,000, and around between 1,100,000 - 1,200,000 worldwide.

Desperado
01-04-2009, 05:29 PM
^Source?...........

T_immortal
01-04-2009, 06:40 PM
^Source?...........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Offspring_discography

I made a thread about this already, but there it says that RAFRAG has sold over 1.5 million worldwide, here's hoping its legit :)

Bipolar Bear
01-04-2009, 07:05 PM
-Their singles are doing great; I keep hearing them on the radio.
-The Offspring are probably much less worried than the asshole record companies themselves, which rake in a huge percentage of the money from sales.
-The album isn't done selling, and 200 000 isn't THAT bad at all.
-Ignition sold much less, and it's still my favorite Offspring album.
-Being the badass punks they are, Dexter&Co don't give a fuck.
-I had chicken for supper.

Desperado
01-04-2009, 07:56 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Offspring_discography

I made a thread about this already, but there it says that RAFRAG has sold over 1.5 million worldwide, here's hoping its legit :)

it only cites the ARIA twice but nothing else...so it definitely sold at least 1 mill. but it's hard to tell about the others, i mean it IS wikipedia.

Omni
01-04-2009, 09:33 PM
^Source?...........

The numbers I posted were the original Wikipedia numbers with the original sources cited. The Splinter page has since been updated and changed.

And as for the RaFRaG source. The numer 180,000 was listed in sales (with sources), and over the course of a month it jumps to over 400,000? I'm sorry, but with sales like that in only a month, it'd have re-entered the Billboard Top 200 at a top ten position, maybe even top five. Use your brains, here, people. It's been compromised, the numbers aren't true. Someone also changed the Conspiracy of One certification to 2x Platinum recently, but it wasn't true. Someone changed it back. The good news about Wikipedia vandalism is that if you return to re-read the article every now and then, someone will always eventually change it to the truth.

Omni
01-04-2009, 09:34 PM
-Their singles are doing great; I keep hearing them on the radio.
-The Offspring are probably much less worried than the asshole record companies themselves, which rake in a huge percentage of the money from sales.
-The album isn't done selling, and 200 000 isn't THAT bad at all.
-Ignition sold much less, and it's still my favorite Offspring album.
-Being the badass punks they are, Dexter&Co don't give a fuck.
-I had chicken for supper.

Ignition has been certified Gold, so it's done much better in the U.S. I'm sure RaFRaG has surpassed it's sales worlwide, though.

Bipolar Bear
01-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Ignition has been certified Gold, so it's done much better in the U.S. I'm sure RaFRaG has surpassed it's sales worlwide, though.

USA IS ONE COUNTRY ON LiKE WHAT, 10!?! COUNT THE REST OF THE WORLD!
[but um thanks I didn't know that]

Omni
01-05-2009, 12:00 AM
I bring it up because domestic sales generally account for at least 25% of total album sales. Ignition has sold 1,100,000 worldwide, and over 500,000 were here in the U.S. So the figure is actually pretty close to 50% that time. I don't mean to discount everyone else, but more albums are sold in the U.S than anywhere else.

Americana98
01-05-2009, 12:36 AM
It's true that RAFRAG is a sales flop, at least for now, in the US. I remember my jaw dropping when I saw it only sold around 46,000 in its first week...this was a once-platinum band....

That said, it's managed to sell 4X that amount since then, unlike many CD's, which totally die after their first week, so word of mouth's obviously good.

To be honest this CD flopping at the sales charts is (hate to say it) totally the fault of the band. Taking 4-year breaks between CD's isn't a great way to exactly stay prominent and their less die-hard fans WILL move on. Then, they don't even do a US tour until (apparently) 2009....not to crap on other countries, but they ARE an American rock band and the fact that they seemed to be ANYWHERE BUT the US for this CD (they weren't around to even be in the music videos for the CD) was pretty annoying and a poor way to handle a release of their CD in what (should) have been its biggest market. 2009 will be seeing them tour the US, hopefully, so maybe that will increase sales. YGGFK's a hugely-successful single, hopefully that'll keep helping the CD sell. But yeah, the band needs to do more to promote it HERE.

RageAndLov
01-05-2009, 01:54 AM
I just don't get it. If they sell a lot of albums, you complain it's "sell out", if they don't-it's a flop.(saying you I don't mean YOU;)) Maybe guy who wrote this article was expecting better selling album becouse the band was saying that RAFRAG is the best album they ever did. And when I read what you guys writting here I see this album wasn't a complete flop, it just wasn't as well selled as Smash or Americana.

Thats what this whole thing is all about. The Mainstream thinks Offspring is unsuccessful because they sell too few albums, and the die-hard fans or punks who were fan of the band thinks Offspring is unsuccessful because the music has changes and Offspring went to a major label and they sell too many albums.

findout5
01-05-2009, 02:41 AM
I bring it up because domestic sales generally account for at least 25% of total album sales. Ignition has sold 1,100,000 worldwide, and over 500,000 were here in the U.S. So the figure is actually pretty close to 50% that time. I don't mean to discount everyone else, but more albums are sold in the U.S than anywhere else.

And, if you noticed also, they had sold a total of 32 million records worlwide (circa Greatest Hits)...and now it says 50 million! I don't think so! Someone has been tampering with the page!

jacknife737
01-05-2009, 08:37 AM
I don't mean to discount everyone else, but more albums are sold in the U.S than anywhere else.

This is true. The US is the largest album sales market on the planet, next I believe is Japan.

holland25
01-06-2009, 05:01 AM
The sales numbers at Wikipedia are all completely gone.

hangovered
01-06-2009, 05:08 AM
Thats what this whole thing is all about. The Mainstream thinks Offspring is unsuccessful because they sell too few albums, and the die-hard fans or punks who were fan of the band thinks Offspring is unsuccessful because the music has changes and Offspring went to a major label and they sell too many albums.

That's funny. So, everyone thinks The Offspring is unsuccesful band? Then how the band can be so succesful when ppl thinks they aren't?...this is some paradox...:rolleyes:
but you're totally right...

MAXTER
01-06-2009, 06:53 AM
The sales numbers at Wikipedia are all completely gone.

Wherer is gone????:D

RageAndLov
01-06-2009, 10:46 AM
That's funny. So, everyone thinks The Offspring is unsuccesful band? Then how the band can be so succesful when ppl thinks they aren't?...this is some paradox...:rolleyes:
but you're totally right...

Right now, I think almost everyone, except the band's fans, thinks The Offspring is not too succesful, in many different ways of course.

Omni
01-06-2009, 11:06 AM
They removed the new 400,000 and 1,500,000 number from Wikipedia, so if anyone had any remaining doubts, it was a lie.

Hypodermic_89
01-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Fuck reviews and fuck reviewers. As long as YOU, THE FAN enjoys the music, nothing else should fucking matter. Not even if the CD is a major hit or a major fuckup. FUCK!

Bipolar Bear
01-06-2009, 11:40 PM
If RAFRAG was a flop, I hope The Offspring makes more flops, because RAFRAG is fucking amazing!

Lenny
01-07-2009, 04:05 AM
People listen to what's on the radio these days.
________
CUMALOT4U LIVE (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/cumalot4u)

Hypodermic_89
01-07-2009, 12:03 PM
If RAFRAG was a flop, I hope The Offspring makes more flops, because RAFRAG is fucking amazing!
Very good point.

hangovered
01-07-2009, 12:09 PM
People listen to what's on the radio these days.

Ppl always was listening what's in the radio. The only difference is that the other day it was rock etc. and now...well,you know what it is now.

_Lost_
01-07-2009, 12:14 PM
I think that when people write these articles one MAJOR fact that they always leave out to make it more dramatic is that CD SALES ARE DEAD. I mean SERIOUSLY! The one independent CD shop that I knew of in the area went out of business this year. That place has been around since the advent of cds. Thats gotta tell you something.

findout5
01-07-2009, 12:51 PM
I think that when people write these articles one MAJOR fact that they always leave out to make it more dramatic is that CD SALES ARE DEAD. I mean SERIOUSLY! The one independent CD shop that I knew of in the area went out of business this year. That place has been around since the advent of cds. Thats gotta tell you something.

CD Sales have dropped. They are not dead. They just died for The Offspring. Look at the millions ACDC, Metallica, even the new Guns N'Roses (2 million) records have sold! There are more records being sold in one week than RAFRAG has sold in 8 months.

Here you can check weekly the top 50 most sold records worldwide:
http://www.musicharts.net/index.php?cat=charts&chid=0

If you go back many months you can see RAFRAG on the list, breefly though...

RageAndLov
01-07-2009, 04:41 PM

That's the smartest thing I have heard anyone said for very long! I think I'm gonna quote that on my signature :)

jacknife737
01-07-2009, 04:56 PM
CD Sales have dropped. They are not dead. They just died for The Offspring. Look at the millions ACDC, Metallica, even the new Guns N'Roses (2 million) records have sold! There are more records being sold in one week than RAFRAG has sold in 8 months.

I can guarantee you, that if any of those albums were released 10 years ago, their sales would be three times what they are now. Album sales are down considerably from last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, ect, ect.

I'd also argue that demographics are a factor; ie the average age of an ACDC fan is older then the average Offspring fan, and is thus less likely to download their new album, without paying.

Ninty Man
01-07-2009, 05:07 PM
I can guarantee you, that if any of those albums were released 10 years ago, their sales would be three times what they are now. Album sales are down considerably from last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, ect, ect.

I'd also argue that demographics are a factor; ie the average age of an ACDC fan is older then the average Offspring fan, and is thus less likely to download their new album, without paying.

Bah, AC/DC is a legendady band, just face it.

MoonTan™
01-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Bah, AC/DC is a legendady band, just face it.

And Metallica, Lets face it The Offspring are a Great Band but hey, AC/DC and Metallica have been around for much longer.....

And Rafrag was NOT a Flop, Well maybe in sales but it was a good album.

RageAndLov
01-08-2009, 12:04 AM

You are right. But one factor that is even more important I think is that bands like ACDC have a much bigger fan base than The Offspring, therefore there is more people to buy their album.

findout5
01-08-2009, 04:12 AM
Smash, Ixnay, Americana and CO1 walked ALL OVER AcDc's Ballbreaker/stiff upper lip records. So don't give me the fanbase is older, they are legendary excuses! That is not true.
The records isn't being promoted enough - and not in the best ways possible. And maybe, some people who actually hear of it didn't like it!
Also, downloads do affect sales, but not THIS much!

holland25
01-08-2009, 04:47 AM
even the new Guns N'Roses (2 million) records have sold!

Considering that Chinese Democracy sucks, I must admit that people lost their good taste in music. If they ever had one...

findout5
01-08-2009, 04:59 AM
Considering that Chinese Democracy sucks, I must admit that people lost their good taste in music. If they ever had one...

They never had good taste (general public). That's why you can look at any chart and wonder...who the fuck likes this or that?

Chinese Democracy sells because of the Guns N' Roses legacy - the people who bought it have Apetite for destruction, Use your ilusion, etc.

I actually used that record as an example cos' people say The Offspring were "out of the game" for five years and the public forgot them. Well...it's 15 years in the GNR case and at least 2 fuckin million people bought it (and it still sells over 100 000 copies per week worldwide).

Ninty Man
01-08-2009, 07:17 AM
And Metallica, Lets face it The Offspring are a Great Band but hey, AC/DC and Metallica have been around for much longer.....

And Rafrag was NOT a Flop, Well maybe in sales but it was a good album.

Metallica sux XD

Iwishitallaway
01-12-2009, 07:24 PM
http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2008/12/30/entertainment/doc495a4d5c8f043906515914.txt

Omni
01-12-2009, 07:29 PM
I actually used that record as an example cos' people say The Offspring were "out of the game" for five years and the public forgot them. Well...it's 15 years in the GNR case and at least 2 fuckin million people bought it (and it still sells over 100 000 copies per week worldwide).

I think the main difference there is that Chinese Democracy had become a huge joke in the music industry. EVERYONE knows about it, because it was announced in like 1995. And each year that passed without release, the more it became known because Axl insisted he'd not given up on it.

Iwishitallaway
01-13-2009, 04:30 PM
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/yearend/2008/charts/hot-modern-rock-songs.shtml

The Offspring have two songs in Billboard's top Hot Modern Rock Songs of 2008...that's not a bad run for 2008...