PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Fact

RonWelty
01-04-2009, 07:10 AM
on BILLBOARD.COM:

"The Modern Rock radio airplay chart finally gets a new No. 1 as Kings of Leon's "Sex on Fire" climbs one position to the top this week. It's the first No. 1 for the band -- and only its second chart hit, following 2005's No. 23-peaking "The Bucket." Kings of Leon replace the Offspring's "You're Gonna Go Far Kid," which had reigned at No. 1 for the past 11 consecutive weeks. Don't cry for the Offspring, though, for its new single, "Kristy, Are You Doing OK?," bows at No. 34. The latter is the group's 23rd chart hit. It ties the band with Green Day for the fifth-most Modern Rock hits in the 20-year history of the chart. Only U2 (35), Pearl Jam (32), Red Hot Chili Peppers (27) and R.E.M. (26) have more."

Oxygene
01-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Wow... that's awesome..

Jesus
01-04-2009, 08:37 AM
So, what are those 23 modern rock chart hit songs? Cause the singles only add up to 20:
Come Out And Play
Self Esteem
Gotta Get Away
All I Want
Gone Away
The Meaning Of Life
I Choose
Pretty Fly For A White Guy
Why Don’t You Get A Job
The Kids Aren’t Alright
She’s Got Issues
Original Prankster
Want You Bad
Defy You
Hit That
(Can’t Get My) Head Around You
Can’t Repeat
Hammerhead
You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
Kristy, Are You Doing OK?

So what are the other 3? Smash It Up, Total Immortal, Million Miles Away Spare me the details,..?

Rutegard
01-04-2009, 08:41 AM
i dunno...maybe DUI? :p

hhuumm..yeah spare me the details and million miles away...good question anyways!
is green day in the same position or do they have that huge amount of singles?! :|

Autonomist
01-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Bad Habit would've definitely been one.

Oxygene
01-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Bad Habit would've definitely been one.

yeah bad habit is one 100%, and I'm almost 100% certain that kick him when he's down was also one back in the day... next to you was also requested on the radio... million miles away and dammit I changed again are also likley candidates

findout5
01-04-2009, 10:29 AM
So, what are those 23 modern rock chart hit songs? Cause the singles only add up to 20:
Come Out And Play
Self Esteem
Gotta Get Away
All I Want
Gone Away
The Meaning Of Life
I Choose
Pretty Fly For A White Guy
Why Donít You Get A Job
The Kids Arenít Alright
Sheís Got Issues
Original Prankster
Want You Bad
Defy You
Hit That
(Canít Get My) Head Around You
Canít Repeat
Hammerhead
You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
Kristy, Are You Doing OK?

So what are the other 3? Smash It Up, Total Immortal, Million Miles Away Spare me the details,..?

Or maybe Bad Habit, Kick Him When He's Down, Next To You, etc...those were promos too!

ad8
01-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Wow, they owned Green Day:D

Redjie
01-04-2009, 10:59 AM
That's cool :cool: But I always though Green day had like 29 singles, not 23. Maybe not all of them went through Billboard. Didn't knew Pearl Jam had 32 singles. Oh well, that's cool, anw :D

Little_Miss_1565
01-04-2009, 12:58 PM
That's cool :cool: But I always though Green day had like 29 singles, not 23. Maybe not all of them went through Billboard.

They're counting songs that have charted, not just singles. But this is really cool.

Oxy, "Kick Him" was a single -- the rock radio station in my hometown played it a lot when I was in high school -- but I doubt it ever charted.

Mike_911
01-04-2009, 01:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Offspring_discography

all the songs that were on the modern rock chart are listed there.. that is an awesome achievement for the band!

IamSam
01-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Wow that's pretty cool!

Little_Miss_1565
01-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Wow, thanks Mike. The missing three are "Kick Him," "Totalimmortal," and "Next To You." This is awesome.

Oxygene
01-04-2009, 01:58 PM
They're counting songs that have charted, not just singles. But this is really cool.

Oxy, "Kick Him" was a single -- the rock radio station in my hometown played it a lot when I was in high school -- but I doubt it ever charted.

You are wrong: kick him charted I think when Ignition was released before smash.. it was only released as a single after gotta get away tho I think...

I don't remember where I know this from, but I know kick him when he's down atleast in like a KROQ top 100 something presmash..

--

now having read the wiki entry it seems like it charted modern rock when it was released as a single... whateva :)

Mike_911
01-04-2009, 02:15 PM
You are wrong: kick him charted I think when Ignition was released before smash.. it was only released as a single after gotta get away tho I think...

I don't remember where I know this from, but I know kick him when he's down atleast in like a KROQ top 100 something presmash..

--

now having read the wiki entry it seems like it charted modern rock when it was released as a single... whateva :)

noob, you fail :)

Oxygene
01-04-2009, 03:02 PM
noob, you fail :)

It definatley made some chart on KROQ before the success of smash :P

Little_Miss_1565
01-04-2009, 03:03 PM
It definatley made some chart on KROQ before the success of smash :P

Also individual radio station charts do not count as 'charting' in the US. ;)

Oxygene
01-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Also individual radio station charts do not count as 'charting' in the US. ;)

well until mike posted the wiki link we were all kind of stabbing in the dark.. I figured chartin on a radio station is as good a time as any to be "charting" ya know.. in the US ;)

KrispyNotKrunchy
01-04-2009, 06:40 PM
I didn't know R.E.M. had more than a few hits... (I know that's kind of irrelevant but it just shows how oblivious I am)

Anyway, according to Wikipedia:

Come Out and Play
Self-Esteem
Gotta Get Away
Kick Him When He's Down
Smash It Up
All I Want
Gone Away
I Choose
Pretty Fly
Why Get a Job
TKAA
She's Got Issues
Original Prankster
Want You Bad
Totalimmortal
Defy You
Hit That
Can't Get My Head around You
Can't Repeat
Next to You
Hammerhead
YGGFK
Kristy

I think its funny that Meaning of Life (which has its own Music Video and CD single) never charted

Oxygene
01-05-2009, 01:25 AM
I think its funny that Meaning of Life (which has its own Music Video and CD single) never charted

I thought that was odd, because it's prolly the best song on Ixnay, and thus one of the best offspring songs ever...