PDA

View Full Version : should the offspring play for the troops in Iraq?

cool 2 hate 681
01-04-2009, 06:10 PM
i read in this interview http://www.beat.com.au/article.php?id=1372 that RonWelty posted noodles was talking about the possibility of doing this what do you think

KHWHD
01-04-2009, 06:16 PM
I think it's a great idea, if it happens. I totally support it.

Cock Joke
01-04-2009, 06:23 PM
I am for that. I think that would be great.

Jojan
01-04-2009, 06:46 PM
"The year before they were wearing shaggy, goth-looking clothes – now they’re shooting people and getting blown up in Iraq". tr00 punx! Totalvägra!!!

Gustavo
01-04-2009, 07:00 PM
That'd be definitely cool. Even though I am not American and no one I know is in Iraq, I think it'd be really cool for these soldiers who have spent so many years away from their homes, it'd be nice for them to have a little bit of fun. Is there a better way to have fun other than having The Offspring play for you?

Tijs
01-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I don't think they should go. They've never supported the war, they're against it. And even though Noodles said that the troops didn't decide to start the war but Bush did, they're still fighting the war.
Those people are fighting for something, dying for something, and then some band comes along to play for them even though that band's against what they're fighting for.
It'd be a lot better to have a band play who actually support the war.

Blergh, that ^ doesn't sound as clear as it did in my head.

T_immortal
01-04-2009, 07:29 PM
They may be against the war, but I don't think they harbour any ill will towards the soldiers themselves. I think it would be a nice way to show them that the people back home are thinking of them :) Think of it as a musical care package, starring one of the best bands ever!

bighead384
01-04-2009, 09:41 PM
The Vandals played in Iraq. I watched a video and it seemed like it went over very well. Although I think I've read that it's pretty well known that the Vandals are on the conservative side. The Offspring are more popular, so it would probably be even more of a success. Hopefully not many soldiers interpret the lyrics to Hammerhead like that solider who made a thread here. I wonder if Noodles would rock his "Not My President" shirt if in Iraq if they had this idea earlier?

bighead384
01-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Also, it doesn't have to be Iraq. It could be any country where the war is being fought.

nightvision
01-05-2009, 12:07 AM
PLAY JENNiFER *LOST THE WAR* AND SEND THOSE ASSHOLES THE MESSAGE ;]

Yeah, why not? Enough with the stupid war already!

Oxygene
01-05-2009, 12:22 AM
No they definitely should not... supporting the troops would be cool.. play USO shows in other places if u want :)

Kennytar
01-05-2009, 12:53 AM
I don't care much. Its their choice.
I wouldn't do anthing to support the Iraq, Afganisthan etc missions.

IamSam
01-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Yeah. Play anti-war songs in a war zone. Real fucking cool. Nothing says bad ass like that. Or sinking a Green Peace boat.

holland25
01-05-2009, 02:02 AM
Jennifer Lost the War, Out on Patrol, Tehran/Baghdad, Blackball... All of them are about Iraq/Iran war. So it would be great if they played them.

findout5
01-05-2009, 02:31 AM
I hope they don't. No one should be supportive of wars.

ad8
01-05-2009, 03:37 AM
Jennifer Lost the War, Out on Patrol, Tehran/Baghdad, Blackball... All of them are about Iraq/Iran war. So it would be great if they played them.

I always thought Jennifer lost the war was about child abuse and an ignorant society...:confused:

zsk
01-05-2009, 03:47 AM
they should play for the troops in afghanistan

holland25
01-05-2009, 04:59 AM
I always thought Jennifer lost the war was about child abuse and an ignorant society...:confused:

Well, that may be true too. But anyway it could easily be about war too. The lines like 'I guess we're all just soldiers, but she was only 6 years old, left to die by strangers...' sound clearly like they're about war. But one never knows...

Tomasisko
01-05-2009, 05:24 AM
I don't know how's the situation in the USA, but in our country troops don't like punk music. I know a few soldiers personally and they hate anarchy, they hate Nirvana too :D So I suppose that most of them are the same as my friends :) But on the other side The Offspring are old gentlemans now :) they are no more punk as they used to be. So they can play for the troops in Iraq. If The Vandals played in Iraq, The Offspring can play too.

zsk
01-05-2009, 06:27 AM
but our troops do
they want to be different to our troops of 45':D

do you know the ksk?:http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=I-cvAw0yJ7w&feature=related

what are the american special forces?

HeadAroundU
01-05-2009, 07:42 AM
I don't think they should go. They've never supported the war, they're against it. And even though Noodles said that the troops didn't decide to start the war but Bush did, they're still fighting the war.
Those people are fighting for something, dying for something, and then some band comes along to play for them even though that band's against what they're fighting for.
It'd be a lot better to have a band play who actually support the war.

Blergh, that ^ doesn't sound as clear as it did in my head.
I see it similarly. It's a bit awkward. It's not black or white.

They could be seen as pro-war by a dull audience.

It's their decision.

jacknife737
01-05-2009, 08:32 AM
There is a difference between supporting the War, and having solidarity with the individual soldiers. Playing a show to entertain coalition soldiers in either Iraq, or Afghanistan is quite a bit different to endorsing the policies of the Bush Administration.

And although i'd have no issue with them doing so, they don't really seem like the type of band, that would do such a thing. Nor do I know how well received they would be.

Tijs
01-05-2009, 09:33 AM
I know there's a difference, a huge difference. But if you're fighting there I don't think it would be the best thing to have a band play there that's against the war. I mean, the soldiers probably need every little piece of support to get them through that period of time.

mrs_hollandova
01-05-2009, 09:40 AM
I know there's a difference, a huge difference. But if you're fighting there I don't think it would be the best thing to have a band play there that's against the war. I mean, the soldiers probably need every little piece of support to get them through that period of time.

Soldiers love their jobs, they love new great guns and aircraft, I think for them is just a fun and lots of money. They retire at 35. They maybe miss their families and friends, but they don´t suffer. Ooooooo no.
Soldiers in WWI and WWII were heroes, our soldiers are just working for money.
And I know Dexy is inelligent and he would never mess with them.

metalmania
01-05-2009, 09:40 AM
i guess that everybody knows about rock-metal culture against the wars,fascism and military policies ;) and offspring can protest this war and other wars with their concert,maybe they couldnt go there but they can say this in concerts.but not for soldiers,they have to do it for to be against the allwars ;)

jacknife737
01-05-2009, 10:02 AM

That's true. The band just wouldn't be a good fit for a USO show.

Little_Miss_1565
01-05-2009, 10:17 AM

I hear ya. Like, I crocheted a blanket in November that I sent to a veteran's hospital for an Iraq vet who was wheelchair-bound and in the hospital for the holidays, but I'm against the war. There are a lot of things you can do to support the troops without being in support of the war, but going to the front to play, those are soldiers on active duty and it's a totally different set of circumstances. It'd be more appropriate for bands who are supporting the war to go, I think. But whatever, if the band wants to go then they should. Up to them.

Bipolar Bear
01-05-2009, 10:55 AM
If this thread has taught us anything, it's that we need a Dexter on Song for Jennifer Lost the War!

Free?
01-05-2009, 12:03 PM
I don't think Jeniffer Lost The War is about war at all. "The war" is everybody's struggle to fit in society, you know, forcing yourself to be what they want you to be, "we're all just soldiers" - everybody has to participate in that "war", little girls being abused ="loose the war", but "soldiers" keep their mouths shut and focus on their duty instead, it's easier this way for them to keep image of successful part of society and to cover their doubts with "she must have really sinned".
Maybe, it has some anti-media context as well.

It doesn't make too much sense, but I guess back then Dexter was young, rebellious and quite impudent :), those were his early lyrics and he could exaggerate at some places.

Anyway, I agree with Tijs' point, I would prefer for Offspring to do just usual touring.

Rutegard
01-05-2009, 12:28 PM
of course NOT!!!

F@ BANKZ
01-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Although I am fervently opposed to the idea, it's their decision. It would be incredibly ironic after Hammerhead's release, but I'd hate to contradict Noodles.

To conclude: *shrug*

bighead384
01-05-2009, 02:22 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say that the lyrics to Hammerhead are partially inspired by the war in Iraq. I'm not going to pretend I know exactly what was going through Dexter's mind when he wrote that song. But it would be pretty hard to imagine that during a time of war, Dexter wrote a song about a gunmen who thinks he's doing right but he's actually doing wrong, yet it has NOTHING to do with that war. I know they've said in interviews that it's not really about the war, but all that means is that the subject matter isn't directly about the war. That doesn't mean it's not inspired by the war, and I personally think it almost certainly is. Maybe he was only thinking about certain aspects of the war, like missions where the soldiers are likely to kill innocent civilians. But I know that song has got something to do with the war.

drummerbecca
01-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Personally, I think it's a fucking awful idea.

the_real_potomek
01-05-2009, 02:53 PM
In my opinion they shouldn't. I don't like that idea at all.

Alex101
01-05-2009, 02:54 PM
That's something Bad Religion should do. The lyrics to some of their songs (including "Los Angeles Is Burning") are related to the war in Iraq.

SK8rocka
01-05-2009, 06:40 PM
CONSPiRACY!!!! ~
DIS IS LIKE DA VINCI CODE VERSION 2!!!

Clever .

Gustavo
01-05-2009, 07:04 PM
I just saw something that got me thinking about this...
Last year, Yellowcard went to the middle east to play some concerts over there, including in Iraq. They said that although they do not actually support the war, they totally the men and women who are serving their countries away from their homes. They diserve to get a little piece of their homes, and a concert would be a great way for the troops to forget for a moment that they're in a different country, facing a war and stuff.
I totally agree with Ryan (from Yellowcard), you can check the post here: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=10560832&blogID=347342788

And also, about the Jennifer Lost The War thing. Jennifer Lost The War isn't quite about war, I see the word "war" in the song as life... The girl who was died in the circus and later was identified as Little Miss 1565 lost her life, she lost her war. Living the life, facing the society... I guess these things are what the word "war" means in that song.

randman21
01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
I think it would be nice (I mean, those guys and gals are fans, too), but I can't really visualize it happening.

RedFox
01-05-2009, 09:24 PM
It seems an excellent idea, not what others think, but I do not like the idea ... I simply thought ^ ^

bighead384
01-06-2009, 12:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz7uNZpVl3Y&feature=related

Here's The Vandals with Byron from Pennywise playing in Iraq. I saw a better video on On Demand before with soldiers moshing and stuff, but I can only find this one for some reason. It's the Vandals covering "America (Fuck Yeah)" from Team America.

danitanev
01-06-2009, 02:37 AM
I think it'll be the greatest shit for The Offspring to play for the troops in Iraq! It'll be like a political support to the one who sent them there. The Offspring are not politics they should never be. And by the way all these troops they are paid by the government for been there - for killing - it's their job - it's not a duty - don't be blind - see it! I think The Offspring could play for the fire-fighters and medics, and police officers - people that are saving your lives everyday in hospitals, in your own homes, on the street, but not for somebody who is in a foreign land killing people and saying - "we are the good guys the rest of the world are the bad guys they have to die, we're gona make the world a better place" - this is not true - nobody wants war even the mussulmen - everybody wants peace instead of US government because they are spending all of your money (the money of the american and british people) for creating bigger army and more weapons. US foreign affairs politics really sucks. I hope your new (US) president would be a real peacemaker not a kid playing the game of soldiers and wars! In the end I have to say that I think The Great Punk than brought us all here to this band and these forums says - "Make peace, not war" - another reason for The Offspring not to be playing for US or even brithish troops!

Kennytar
01-06-2009, 04:12 AM
Soldiers love their jobs, they love new great guns and aircraft, I think for them is just a fun and lots of money. They retire at 35. They maybe miss their families and friends, but they don´t suffer. Ooooooo no.
Soldiers in WWI and WWII were heroes, our soldiers are just working for money.
And I know Dexy is inelligent and he would never mess with them.

ITS FUN???? Are you crazy??
Facing death isnt fun. And when its fun, why do men who return need mental help and some of them go nuts, kill their family and commit suicide, huh?? They maybe love the job but its not an easy job.
I'm not saying that soldiers are heros. Im against Iraq, Afghanistan etc missions. It's kinda pointless to give your life for other country.

findout5
01-06-2009, 05:35 AM
All the soldiers want out of this missions (at least the europeans that go there) is to get a bunch of money on a small amount of time. It's not about peace or saving anyone. And make no mistakes, the american soldiers are all about killing, there is nothing noble about war. I hope The Offspring never make the mistake of participating in this! And considering they were on the Rock Against Bush compilation, I'm sure they would never play for the troops!

And since some of you are teens, aloow me to translate:
"War is like, totally gay! Duh!".

MAXTER
01-06-2009, 05:39 AM
The Offspring never leave for Iraq, They are against the war!
When the troops back from Iraq???:mad:

Gustavo
01-06-2009, 06:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz7uNZpVl3Y&feature=related

Here's The Vandals with Byron from Pennywise playing in Iraq. I saw a better video on On Demand before with soldiers moshing and stuff, but I can only find this one for some reason. It's the Vandals covering "America (Fuck Yeah)" from Team America.

Gee, I know it's a little bit off-topic, but... The crowd doesn't seem to be excited at all. A little bit weird.

randman21
01-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Okay, it is now apparent to me that none of you knows anything about war, the army, or soldiers in general. I don't know anything and I still find this ridiculous.

hangovered
01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
No. It propably would be great for the soldiers, but it would be also supporting american war. I still don't understand why we taking part in it. Forgive me all american members.

mrs_hollandova
01-07-2009, 01:31 AM
ITS FUN???? Are you crazy??
Facing death isnt fun. And when its fun, why do men who return need mental help and some of them go nuts, kill their family and commit suicide, huh?? They maybe love the job but its not an easy job.
I'm not saying that soldiers are heros. Im against Iraq, Afghanistan etc missions. It's kinda pointless to give your life for other country.

Exactly! And it costs a LOTS of money which could be used for education

Offspring-Junkie
01-07-2009, 10:39 AM
I hope The Offspring never make the mistake of participating in this! And considering they were on the Rock Against Bush compilation, I'm sure they would never play for the troops!

AFAIK it was Noodles' effort that put them on that compilation. I'm not sure if Dexter is against either war or Bush, but I do hope so. I wouldn't be surprised to hear him say that there's something like necessary evil, Bush and warfare for instance.

But yeah... I don't think it's a bad idea to play a concert for soldiers. At least if they don't play "Jennifer lost the war", "Conspiracy of One" and "Kill the president".

Hypodermic_89
01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Is there a better way to have fun other than having The Offspring play for you?
A naked model giving you beer while you're enjoying the Offspring show.

DexterWannabe
01-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Support The Troops!

Hooah!!

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to hear him say that there's something like necessary evil, Bush and warfare for instance.

Well I would...

metalmania
01-07-2009, 01:56 PM
sing for war,sing for soldiers ? hey re you ok? :eek: :cool: ;)

MoonTan™
01-07-2009, 06:03 PM
I think i'd rather have a normal tour.

iPunk247
01-08-2009, 12:02 AM
anything is possible. :)

Punkrock1907
01-17-2009, 01:22 PM
whatttttt???????
maybe u forgot about the offspring'S first and second album's lyrics???
how can u say its a great idea?
where is punk,where is against to war???
offspring will never do it
maybe alotof posers are in this forum.
why will offspring go to iraq???
for thanks to soldiers?? ohh thanks soldiers we support u coz u are killing innocent people here so so nice??????????

metalmania
01-17-2009, 01:40 PM
whatttttt???????
maybe u forgot about the offspring'S first and second album's lyrics???
how can u say its a great idea?
where is punk,where is against to war???
offspring will never do it
maybe alotof posers are in this forum.
why will offspring go to iraq???
for thanks to soldiers?? ohh thanks soldiers we support u coz u are killing innocent people here so so nice??????????
wow sometimes you can say rights! so its good for ya! punk and war!hehe we did argue it!so what?can offspring sing a song for 1 million deathbodies in iraq??i guess:no! so fuk da war!!!!

Hammerhead_
09-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I guess if this will be real thats cant be a good concert.

Besides, Maybe you dont wanna this concert be real. But Offspring dont care this. I think you unnecessarily argue :)

Dulce
12-10-2012, 07:24 PM
The Offspring are they really anti? What about the anarchy symbol on dex's jet? Not your regular political punkrock band.

Sarahhoze4
12-10-2012, 11:33 PM
I think this is a very good sort of things for every one so that any get these tips into their own mind.

Rooster
12-11-2012, 01:23 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/2eed5ld.jpg

Please stop raping the corpses of threads that have been dead for aeons.

_Lost_
12-11-2012, 07:01 AM
Please stop raping the corpses of threads that have been dead for aeons.

What he said.