PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for Hammerhead

drake7
01-06-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm a USMC veteran. The Offspring song "Hammerhead" is a song I listened to when I was in the Corps and I still listen to now. It describes musically a lot of the feelings I and other Marines and soldiers experienced. It can be hard to express them and I wanted to thank the Offspring for such an amazing song that captures so much.

Ninty Man
01-06-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm a USMC veteran. The Offspring song "Hammerhead" is a song I listened to when I was in the Corps and I still listen to now. It describes musically a lot of the feelings I and other Marines and soldiers experienced. It can be hard to express them and I wanted to thank the Offspring for such an amazing song that captures so much.

But the song is about school shooting

jacknife737
01-06-2009, 08:50 AM
People are free to interpret songs as they like, i know i relate to some songs outside of their "official" meaning. Plus Hammerhead is deliberately vague.

It's always cool to see how a song by the band has made an impact on someone.

findout5
01-06-2009, 10:17 AM
It was written from a sarcastic pov...not literal...and like said before, it's about high-school shootings!

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
01-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Who gives a shit what it's about, if he feels good with it then that's a good thing

bighead384
01-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Even though it has a dark twist at the end, the lyrics in the beginning of the song definitely explain some of the mentality of someone who fights for the sake of good. "I'll take a life, ten others may live". I think Hammerhead explores the good and bad of fighting.

Free?
01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Old fears about my hammerhead artwork's concept starting to revive again... It will most likely fail to deliver a message to you people.

randman21
01-06-2009, 03:27 PM
^Yes, dude. It was way too deep for anyone to get, haha.

Alex101
01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
I always thought one of the lyrics to "Hammerhead" was like a rip-off or spoof of Fishbone's "Junkie's Prayer". Example: Fishbone sings "Thy rocketh and they pipeth restoreth me 4 I and I fear no man / Yea though I walk through the valleys of Harlem, Bronx, Manhattan / Even Nickerson Gardens, Compton, Watts, Inglewood / Fucked up in Beverly Hills and all those other places" while The Offspring sings "Yea though I walk through the valley of the / shadow of death, I fear no evil: for Thou art with me".

findout5
01-06-2009, 03:51 PM
I always thought one of the lyrics to "Hammerhead" was like a rip-off or spoof of Fishbone's "Junkie's Prayer". Example: Fishbone sings "Thy rocketh and they pipeth restoreth me 4 I and I fear no man / Yea though I walk through the valleys of Harlem, Bronx, Manhattan / Even Nickerson Gardens, Compton, Watts, Inglewood / Fucked up in Beverly Hills and all those other places" while The Offspring sings "Yea though I walk through the valley of the / shadow of death, I fear no evil: for Thou art with me".

The: Through the valley, etc etc part is from the bible!

Alex101
01-06-2009, 04:18 PM
The: Through the valley, etc etc part is from the bible!
Well I know that, but that part reminded me of one of the lyrics off Fishbone's "Junkie's Prayer" (from their Reality of My Surroundings album). Becuase of this, I thought "Hammerhead" was obviously a rip-off or spoof of that song, but I could be wrong.

dff_punk
01-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Well I know that, but that part reminded me of one of the lyrics off Fishbone's "Junkie's Prayer" (from their Reality of My Surroundings album). Becuase of this, I thought "Hammerhead" was obviously a rip-off or spoof of that song, but I could be wrong.

Well it reminded me also of Coolio's "Gangsta Paradise" and Anti-Flag's "Shadow Of The Dead". Quite popular that psalm is.

Free?
01-06-2009, 04:31 PM
I haven't heard that "Junkie's Prayer" song, but I think that "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death" Bible line used in maaaany songs. Anti-Flag (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO12WjAVtl8) and Marylin Manson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkYGkiVdyls&feature=related) comes to mind but there are many more.
Still, I don't deny the possibility of "Junkie's Prayer" influence in HH, I just think it's not probable.

RedFox
01-06-2009, 05:23 PM
The song is about school shooting
Nothing more to say

haha ^^

IamSam
01-07-2009, 12:51 AM

You kneecap. If they copied anyone it would be King David and the 23rd Psalm.

mrs_hollandova
01-07-2009, 02:34 AM
1. music is great
2. lyrics are bad
3. dexters voice is sexy :D
--------------------------
good song :p

Free?
01-07-2009, 06:56 AM
1. music is great
2. lyrics are bad
3. dexters voice is sexy :D
--------------------------
good song :p

I've resisted the temptation few times, but oh well, I'm giving up. I just find you so wrong, so if you'll get bored someday or are interested in what Hammerhead lyrics are about in a deeper way than you can usually see on this forum, I invite you to come here (http://offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34843&page=26), read few pages (starting with post #253) about Hammerhead and hopefully change your opinion about "bad" lyrics.

dff_punk
01-07-2009, 07:00 AM
She doesn't care about the lyrics. All she cares about is Dexter's sexyness :p

dexter85
01-07-2009, 07:59 AM
The song is about school shooting
Nothing more to say

haha ^^

Again: People are free to interpret songs and ascribe new meanings to them. That's what makes music so great and universal.
For Dexter the song may be about a school shooting. For any other member of the band or even a fan, the song could have a completely different meaning.

Just one other thing: I know that Dexter - or was it Noodles - said that it was about school shootings. But the official video clearly illustrates a war with soldiers. So isn't it obvious that the song is more a song of a theme than of an actual event? The theme being people shooting other people and having to deal with either obsessions or direct orders from a superior commander.

Aion
01-07-2009, 10:07 AM
if the song is about school shooting...
why the video (the contest winner)
is about war?
or at least it shows a lot about war...
maybe it's not a video directed by a
recognized music video director...
but it's the official video...
for some reason....

Jojan
01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
To me the song joins the similarites with school shootings and war.

rlplaymaker
01-07-2009, 05:32 PM
It was written from a sarcastic pov...not literal...and like said before, it's about high-school shootings!

Before the whole "you can all hide behind your desks now" part, it doesn't appear to be about a school shooting. Shtoink

Ninty Man
01-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Before the whole "you can all hide behind your desks now" part, it doesn't appear to be about a school shooting. Shtoink

you can build a story about that:

Maybe a paranoic bastard who thinks himself a soldier, and that he'll make a good job at killing some guys...

Well, somebody said that songs are free to interpretation, but that's bullshit.
Not every interpretation is valid

MoonTan™
01-07-2009, 07:07 PM
to me the song joins the similarites with school shootings and war.

Yes, I agree

dexter85
01-08-2009, 11:08 AM
you can build a story about that:

Maybe a paranoic bastard who thinks himself a soldier, and that he'll make a good job at killing some guys...

Well, somebody said that songs are free to interpretation, but that's bullshit.
Not every interpretation is valid

And who are to decide that? How can anyone say that an interpretation I have in my head is wrong?

jacknife737
01-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Well, somebody said that songs are free to interpretation, but that's bullshit. Not every interpretation is valid

The song is intentionally vague, and if i remember correctly, there was much debate on this BBS about the song's meaning, and the official music video does give a distinct impression that it's about war/ military conflict.

If some people react or interpret a song different from you, there is no harm in that.