PDA

View Full Version : Jakebert's State of the Board Address.

Pages : [1] 2

Jakebert
01-06-2009, 05:48 PM
So, as of the past few months, I've been away from the board, mostly due to various computer troubles that left me without a working laptop at college. During the few times I could get on a computer, the board was unfortunatly not a top priority as I was usually working on some sort of homework.

The last time I read the board before my laptop took a shit and died, I saw the board slowly going downhill due to a group of posters who have decided to make the BBS their personal playground, slowly pushing out any sense of reasonable or intelligent debate that used to be the touchestone of this board.

I had assumed that in my absence, the board may have rebounded, as the board goes through cycles of being horribly stupid and boring, then gets better with time. However, to my surprise, I have found the board in much worse shape than it was when I left. The group that had began making the board their playground have all but pushed most of the established members out of the board by constantly taking over every thread and turning it into an orgy of self-love and annoying in-jokes.

The board is not the same interesting place for debate, or even just fun casual conversation. It's like I went away to college, and came back to my hometown to find that all of my friends had been replaced with 13 year olds.

So basically what I want to say is this:

-To the older posters: POST MORE. I know that the younger less mature members are annoying, but you could easily elevate the discussion by trying to make better threads or even participate in discussions more.

-To the younger members: I understand that you want a place to be immature, goof off, and make silly inside jokes. I get that, and I'm glad you've found a place to do it. But taking over every single thread with page after page of irrelevent ass-kissing in your little group is just annoying and does nothing to make the board a better place. Look at it this way, when you guys first got here, you disliked when you read a thread that was nothing but the "l337" talking amongst themselves, correct? Well you're essentially doing the same thing you guys criticized at that point. Just try to look at it from that perspective.

I usually hate making/reading posts like this that treat the board as a serious thing, but at the same time, I have logged in a lot of hours here when bored, and I'd really like to keep this place running strong so that it'll be there in the future when I'm bored.

hangovered
01-06-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm a new member and propably I shouldn't take part in this discussion, but... What you're saying is caused by some sociological fact - -ppl in my age (including me) have inclination to make a cliques. It's a bad thing, it's propably caused by need to be close with other ppl which is imposible in the internet. And forums are extremely wrong place to do this. I'm aware, that I'm the one who do this and I'm not trying to excuse myself, I just looking for the reasons.

Jakebert
01-06-2009, 06:19 PM
It's not really that I think cliques are the ultimate answer of what's going on, because every message board ever has cliques. I just see a general sense of immaturity rising in the newer members of the board (not necessarily including yourself, mind you, so no need to be offended by that statement) that I haven't really seen here before.

jacknife737
01-06-2009, 07:36 PM
This is pretty much what needed to be said.

Al Coholic
01-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Yeah I'm new to this forum but not forums in general. I find myself clicking on a thread that started out decent, but the last 20 some posts are all a bunch of one liners from kids with basically nothing to say and a bunch of smileys.

Then you have your forum games. I personally dont understand why people type something nobody will ever read. In the ____ vs ____, does anyone ever really go through that shit? No, they just scroll to the last post and put in their worthless two cents. I thought 12 year olds used the internet to masturbate, this stuff is ridiculous.

And your politics section is in desperate need of some regulars with higher education. Right now its a bunch of hormonally rebellious kids posting nonsense.

There's a complete lack of original thread topics here...

EDIT: and theres a fuckin happy birthday thread to someone every 12 hours.

Llamas
01-06-2009, 09:56 PM
I'd just like to throw out there that the "your band" section is the most interesting it's ever been.

Otherwise, I agree.

JohnnyNemesis
01-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I generally agree with Jakebert.

I will admit that all this immaturity makes me look at how the "1337" dominated every thread a bit more objectively, but I seriously don't think it was anywhere near as "unfair" as it is now.

So many people have lost the incentive to post. My general stance is that the most important thing is that Offspring fans are happy on the BBS...but I still wish that included everyone and not just people aged 10-15 (or those who act that age).

Llamas
01-06-2009, 10:24 PM
I generally agree with Jakebert.

I will admit that all this immaturity makes me look at how the "1337" dominated every thread a bit more objectively, but I seriously don't think it was anywhere near as "unfair" as it is now.

So many people have lost the incentive to post. My general stance is that the most important thing is that Offspring fans are happy on the BBS...but I still wish that included everyone and not just people aged 10-15 (or those who act that age).

I think it was just as bad- this coming from someone who was an outsider for quite a while.

Jakebert
01-06-2009, 10:50 PM
I would honestly say that the 1337 thing was bullshit and that the board was a lot more open than it is now. I never really felt like I was part of what a lot of people called the 1337, but the thing is that I got along well with all of them and could fit in pretty easily. With these new guys, it seems like if you aren't part of their little clique, your thread need to be derailed. With the 1337, every thread was given a chance in some way.

ForkZ
01-06-2009, 11:29 PM
:mad:FoRK YEW ALL COLOR ISH DA BOMB. UR ALL SO FORKING DULL!!!!!
BRIGHTEN UP THE PLACE!!!!!:mad:

0r4ng3
01-06-2009, 11:33 PM
I can tell you from personal experience that the whole "typing in color" thing will get old soon.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Ok, for this post let's adopt the tone of "Lol I analyze and treat the boards like if it was my whole fucking life and it's so important whether 70% rather than 50% of the total posts are relevant! I make long analytical posts about the boards because I'm a 1337"

I remember not long after I joined, people with fewer posts were getting ignored/disrespected because they were new. They were getting mocked, and some idiots even directly told them they should basically go home because their opinions were worthless, due to the fact that their postcount was lower. There were much fewer new members back then, and the old ones were all comfortably posting, acting like if they're at home [which isn't necessarily unusual or bad, but the new members were struggling to find a place on the boards]. I find the current "gang" to be much less exclusive and arrogant, for one, although its posts are pretty shizznizzle. Any new member can join in on the fun and sex! Although not appreciated by everyone, there really is no solution except to ban all those bastards, including me of course. Would it be justified? No, but the point is that the 1337s ultimately have a lot of power compared to other "groups", and will therefore always remain victorious regardless. I have no idea what I was trying to prove with this post, it's basically a whole bunch of ideas.

end

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2009, 12:47 AM
due to the fact that their postcount was lower.

No. Just...no

That is all.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 01:02 AM
No. Just...no

That is all.

But basically, because they were new [therefore their postcount was lower, and therefore they were automatically excluded from the 1337s], their opinions were less respected in general, and I'm only saying this as it seemed back then to my paranoid self. I remember a dozen 1337s ganging up on me or bighead before even though our opinions were completely plausible in those particular instances. It was always like there was a team of people against you, you probably didn't realize it because you were part of that team but since they always acted together against dissenting/different people it was pretty opressive and shitty.

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2009, 01:11 AM
See, the thing is, you assume I was always part of that team. The "1337" or whatever had been established for years before I ever registered on here. When my post-count was fucking zero and I had only been here a day or two, people in general still welcomed me in.

I argue that I was welcomed in easily because, when I did or said something stupid/wrong/weird, I actually stopped to think about it instead of flying off the handle and making conspiracy theories like so many people do, including, I hate to say it, you and the people you mentioned.

I stopped (took some time to think lol) and from there either stuck to my guns or re-evaluated the situation, but either way I wasn't such a fucking crybaby over it, y'know?

It's not a coincidence that, even among those who don't flood the BBS with immature bullshit, the people are are generally "accepted" here happen to be the ones who don't CONSTANTLY CRY about things.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 01:17 AM
See, the thing is, you assume I was always part of that team. The "1337" or whatever had been established for years before I ever registered on here. When my post-count was fucking zero and I had only been here a day or two, people in general still welcomed me in.

I argue that I was welcomed in easily because, when I did or said something stupid/wrong/weird, I actually stopped to think about it instead of flying off the handle and making conspiracy theories like so many people do, including, I hate to say it, you and the people you mentioned.

I stopped (took some time to think lol) and from there either stuck to my guns or re-evaluated the situation, but either way I wasn't such a fucking crybaby over it, y'know?

It's not a coincidence that, even among those who don't flood the BBS with immature bullshit, the people are are generally "accepted" here happen to be the ones who don't CONSTANTLY CRY about things.

I know Johnny, I didn't mean to classify you as a 1337, because thinking back you've pretty much rarely been unfair to people or teamed with them a lot. There are however those to whom my post was more directed, and that were equally annoying to me and others, as the current gang may be annoying to overly serious "I've got something up my ass" posters. And I am paranoid, I do admit it, but if there's someone who's crying about things it's Jakebert with this nostalgic gayass whiny thread.

Llamas
01-07-2009, 01:27 AM
You know, I'd also like to point out that, when I first registered here, I was not well liked. I remember Tizz telling me that she thought I was a guy because she didn't think it was possible for a girl to be so lame. WCM used to rip on me constantly, and it just wasn't fun for me to post in GC.

But. After just a few weeks, I started carrying on good conversations with Joy in "your band". She is (I think) considered part of the "1337", yet she welcomed me easily, despite my popularity. Then Ricky started IMing me and I even remember being all "wtf I thought you ppl h8 me :(" and he was like "naw". We cool since then. Then Tizz and I bonded over Hanson.

My point being that I wasn't cool... everyone hated me. Yet a few people were nice to me despite my popularity, and over time I became friends with more people. This is how the real world works, too.

Accepting every single person regardless of all things seems nice on the surface, but it's not very intelligent or much of a sign of critical thinking. I, as most people in life, prefer to decide who I'm friends with based on some things.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 01:27 AM
So, as of the past few months, I've been away from the board, mostly due to various computer troubles that left me without a working laptop at college. During the few times I could get on a computer, the board was unfortunatly not a top priority as I was usually working on some sort of homework.

The last time I read the board before my laptop took a shit and died, I saw the board slowly going downhill due to a group of posters who have decided to make the BBS their personal playground, slowly pushing out any sense of reasonable or intelligent debate that used to be the touchestone of this board.

I had assumed that in my absence, the board may have rebounded, as the board goes through cycles of being horribly stupid and boring, then gets better with time. However, to my surprise, I have found the board in much worse shape than it was when I left. The group that had began making the board their playground have all but pushed most of the established members out of the board by constantly taking over every thread and turning it into an orgy of self-love and annoying in-jokes.

The board is not the same interesting place for debate, or even just fun casual conversation. It's like I went away to college, and came back to my hometown to find that all of my friends had been replaced with 13 year olds.

So basically what I want to say is this:

-To the older posters: POST MORE. I know that the younger less mature members are annoying, but you could easily elevate the discussion by trying to make better threads or even participate in discussions more.

-To the younger members: I understand that you want a place to be immature, goof off, and make silly inside jokes. I get that, and I'm glad you've found a place to do it. But taking over every single thread with page after page of irrelevent ass-kissing in your little group is just annoying and does nothing to make the board a better place. Look at it this way, when you guys first got here, you disliked when you read a thread that was nothing but the "l337" talking amongst themselves, correct? Well you're essentially doing the same thing you guys criticized at that point. Just try to look at it from that perspective.

I usually hate making/reading posts like this that treat the board as a serious thing, but at the same time, I have logged in a lot of hours here when bored, and I'd really like to keep this place running strong so that it'll be there in the future when I'm bored.

Ahh... now you know what it was like when you guys came along :)

bighead384
01-07-2009, 01:45 AM
The older members are bored of each other and don't think enough of anyone else to be motivated to post. I've noticed this. But no one wants to admit it or bring it up. They'd rather blame other people.

The Search Button
01-07-2009, 05:33 AM
The older members are bored of each other and don't think enough of anyone else to be motivated to post. I've noticed this. But no one wants to admit it or bring it up. They'd rather blame other people.

That's an interesting point, though it's veracity remains to be proved.

I see you guys around in 6,12,18,24,etc. months in a thread similar to this one.

T-6005
01-07-2009, 05:36 AM
Perhaps those of us who are older no longer find quite as much satisfaction in competing with less mature ´minds for the same space.

That being said, maybe we´re not supposed to. Perhaps we have moved on from this form of public discussion and still hang around in the hopes that the same conversations that first compelled us to contribute resurface, not realizing that even if they did we have already had the discussion and moved on long ago.

Maybe we are too old for forums and havent realized it yet.

holland25
01-07-2009, 05:59 AM
This thread should have been sticky in General Chat.

wheelchairman
01-07-2009, 06:28 AM
Yeah to talk about ourselves, the older generation again, we were the first generation to really use message boards. I mean when many of us started it was just some weird or nerdy thing that we did. Now it seems like everyone posts on forums these days.

There is a shift in user dynamics.

Anyways as you get older, things that seemed important no longer seem that important to you anymore. For example in the politics forums, I no longer really care about the basic ideological arguments. I did that for years and you just realize how futile it is, or repetitive. (Yet I'm still addicted to Solitaire...)

Sure the young kids these days are annoying as shit. But if you go back 6-7 years ago, you'll find us who were posting then, pretty much posting the same annoying shit. (Although I think our English was better.) I mean Tizz was famous for abusing smilies to an extreme extent.

On a side note, I can't stand bipolar bear. He reminds me of Bighead, if bighead were a moron. (that's a compliment to bighead, who is an example of a fairly new member that I now enjoy reading.)

Heh, I had no idea you felt that way Llamas. I mean I know you told me. I just didn't think it felt like all the time, (at least not from me, but then that's the luxury of being the bully as opposed to the bullied.)

Free?
01-07-2009, 06:28 AM
I agree with almost anything that been posted here, there's one thing I'd like to put more attention. Some older members have certainly mean attitude, which can cause conflicts. I can handle them (I even enjoy their posts sometimes), but I think it's very wrong to bash every newbie you can just because he's wrong. Be calm and reasonable instead. Only a small part of people can take sharp critiques with cool head and without feeling of being insulted. Of course, there are many "rebellious" members that need to be criticized, but you shouldn't greet a person who you are talking to for the first time with an attack.

And there are many old members who don't appear in General Offspring Discussion at all. It's a pretty boring and repetitive place, but you could throw a word or two there time after time, just not to scare newcomers that meet you in General Chat when you appear before them with your sharp tongue and postcount.

I vote with my both hands for the intelligent and constructive boards, but there should be a place for simplicity too.

With respect.

EDIT:
This thread should have been sticky in General Chat.

Funny thing, but I usually don't notice sticky threads, almost at all.

hangovered
01-07-2009, 06:58 AM
You know, when I was in polish punk forums, ppl were glad when new members appear. It means that in this generation are ppl who actually think(I can't imagine someone can listen to this music without wondering about lirics). I'm not saying that you're runing us out. Jakabert's post was pointing what he, as an older member expects, but some of older members just saying "you're stupid snots and get fuckin out of here", at least that's the way I understand this. I don't really think that this thread can change anything, it's good that it exists, but the only thing that can change this forums (btw-to be as you,older members, want it...)is your presence in other threads, what you don't want to do, becouse younger members are there...and that's vicious circle...

PS.did anyone noticed, that actually Little_Miss started this "bring back the old times" thing?

ad8
01-07-2009, 07:28 AM
I just wanted to throw in here that it's hard to treat another forum member right. On the one hand, he has nothing to do with your normal life and is totally irrelevant. But on the other hand, you build up a relationship to every member, reading his posts and making yourself an opinion about the content. So I think this clique-thing is pretty right, and also I think that a 4-post-newbie gets less respect than a big daddy, because you haven't had time to watch and rate the newbie in your head.
So it's perfectly normal to ignore the newer member... but that is what the "established" members have to stop. Unless they want to make the newer members to think that they have to post obtrusive things to get attention.
(sorry for the long post)

Little_Miss_1565
01-07-2009, 08:29 AM

Speaking for myself, actually it's your ridiculous vendetta and the ridiculous people you've chosen to align yourself with that has made me completely lose interest in posting. And considering the incredible amount of dick-sucking thread derailments mainly perpetrated by a handful of individuals, can you really blame anyone for not being motivated to post? What is there to reply to? And when someone does make an effort to create a topic, it very quickly goes to (now technicolor) shit.

Ok, for this post let's adopt the tone of "Lol I analyze and treat the boards like if it was my whole fucking life and it's so important whether 70% rather than 50% of the total posts are relevant! I make long analytical posts about the boards because I'm a 1337"

By the by, the '1337' as you and your friends have painted it never really existed -- Yeah, there is a group of us that have been around for 10 years or more, but half of us don't like eachother. This has always been the case. We've known eachother and have some level of respect for eachother for what we've put into the community. Ta-da.

But speaking to your point about "the boards my whole fucking life blah blah," you don't seem to give a fuck that the band cares a lot about this community, which is why they and their 'people' asked me to create some rules and organize some order. Yeah, it's just rock and roll, but the band have put their entire lives into their music. And this is the official community of people who supposedly like that music. Have some fucking respect.

I remember not long after I joined, people with fewer posts were getting ignored/disrespected because they were new. They were getting mocked, and some idiots even directly told them they should basically go home because their opinions were worthless, due to the fact that their postcount was lower.

The only time I've ever seen anyone give anyone any grief over their post count has been in GOD, and I've done everything I can to tell those people to shut up about that.

When you started posting, it was like you were going above and beyond the call of duty to post things that would get you a lot of negative attention. You proved you could occasionally have insightful things to say, but the allure of having loads of people yelling at you seemed to prove too enticing for you not to go back to it. It wasn't because you were new. It was because you were intentionally being disruptive.

Any new member can join in on the fun and sex! Although not appreciated by everyone, there really is no solution except to ban all those bastards, including me of course. Would it be justified? No,

Have you forgotten you were banned for flooding the forums with porn pictures and sending me a death threat? That was entirely justified. And I have regretted believing you when you asked to be allowed back every day since.

And I am paranoid, I do admit it, but if there's someone who's crying about things it's Jakebert with this nostalgic gayass whiny thread.

It's like you really are bipolar sometimes, in that you can get along with others well and contribute lots of things to what other people are discussing, but the second you perceive any sort of affront you flip over to trying to throw out as many disrupting things as possible. There's no incentive to try and be nice to you because it's been the experience of so many people that no matter how much anyone tries, something will make you totally lose it on the forums. I and the "1337"s banned you for excellent reasons, I and the "1337"s allowed you back. We even tried engaging with you as though you were a rational, intelligent person. Yet here we are. Tell me, what's the point?

PS.did anyone noticed, that actually Little_Miss started this "bring back the old times" thing?

Well, it's been the whole idea for the last year to make this place the sort of place it was when I was 14-16 where people could explore a lot of ideas, talk about music, and have a good time. Back then it was pretty self-policing, and there wasn't any need for a moderating staff of 1,000,000. So yeah, I do miss that.

also I think that a 4-post-newbie gets less respect than a big daddy, because you haven't had time to watch and rate the newbie in your head.
So it's perfectly normal to ignore the newer member... but that is what the "established" members have to stop. Unless they want to make the newer members to think that they have to post obtrusive things to get attention.

This is the sort of argument that I don't understand. Newer members DO get attention and respect. Look at JohnnyNemesis and most recently IamSam, and Lizardus for his tagging skills. All you have to do is post things that show some shadow of intelligence, perhaps even wit.

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Yeah, Bipolar Bear...at least own up to your mistakes, dude. You're claiming you got banned just because you're non-1337, but you flooded the board with pornographic images, for fuck's sake.

I'm not even getting into who's wrong or right here, 'cause that's a worthless endeavor. But you flood the BBS with porn and wonder why you got banned?! Come on, buddy.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 09:15 AM
actually it's your ridiculous vendetta and the ridiculous people you've chosen to align yourself with that has made me completely lose interest in posting. And considering the incredible amount of dick-sucking thread derailments mainly perpetrated by a handful of individuals,

You do realize whose lead he's following with that behavior right?

By the by, the '1337' as you and your friends have painted it never really existed -- Yeah, there is a group of us that have been around for 10 years or more, but half of us don't like eachother. This has always been the case. We've known eachother and have some level of respect for eachother for what we've put into the community. Ta-da.

The elite he is talking about exists and you by no means are a part of it.. or seldom. What he means is the bunch of non-offspring fan members, who are the leftovers of the idiocy this board was, who - like some retarded childish high school clique - jump at anyone who dare criticize the point of view of any of their members.

There has never been an elite amongst offspring fans.

But speaking to your point about "the boards my whole fucking life blah blah," you don't seem to give a fuck that the band cares a lot about this community, which is why they and their 'people' asked me to create some rules and organize some order. Yeah, it's just rock and roll, but the band have put their entire lives into their music. And this is the official community of people who supposedly like that music. Have some fucking respect.

The only thing worse then our outdated childish immature elite is people who thrive on antagonizing them.. I myself also hate the fact that the band have to strive for people to behave in a normal civilized way. For the majority of the negativity I hold the core of the bbs responsible. If they weren't so quick to jump on some new shithead trying to prove how tough he is by attacking someone with 10K+ post count, then this shit would fade out. But setting bad examples and feeding their idiocy is fucking stupid.

Well, it's been the whole idea for the last year to make this place the sort of place it was when I was 14-16 where people could explore a lot of ideas, talk about music, and have a good time. Back then it was pretty self-policing, and there wasn't any need for a moderating staff of 1,000,000. So yeah, I do miss that.

When you were 14-16 people had some common ground. If you look at GOD it isn't as fucked up, because it's people discussing mutually interesting things.. it's not a "psychological dick size enhancement rant center", that other parts of the board have become.

This is the sort of argument that I don't understand. Newer members DO get attention and respect. Look at JohnnyNemesis and most recently IamSam, and Lizardus for his tagging skills. All you have to do is post things that show some shadow of intelligence, perhaps even wit.

Yeah as long as they don't criticize anything and shut up about other peoples stupid shit..

All and all these boards are a lot better then they were a few years ago, but the days of like the capsi mailing list are loooong gone :(

One of the reasons the band doesn't post here is because of all this stupid negative shit, about people fighting and bickering. The semi-retarded behavior of the core is fuel for any idiots passing by, and thus they stick around. If only that fire wasn't fueled anymore...

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Maybe I should only speak for myself, but...

Does anyone really look at post-counts? Honestly? Does that shit really fucking matter?! No one looks at that shit. People are shot down for what they say, not what they do.

And anyone, anyone, ANYONE who uses post-count as a measure of anything is fucking stupid. Fucking. STUPID.

ad8
01-07-2009, 09:42 AM
I didn't mean new members like IamSam or JohnnyNemesis. After my first 3-5 months here, it felt like I got used to the forums. But no one registers here and people say: "Hey, it's xxx! He's cool, so let's be nice to him!" Everyone needs his 100-500 posts to earn some respect here. And in my opinion there could be members that give up their hopes after their first 20-30 posts and then turn into spammers, pointless thread creators or just dead accounts. I hope I could express myself better now.

Does anyone really look at post-counts?
I guess yeah. Even if it's totally stupid, people will notice the little number and -consciously or subconsciously- use it to create an image of the user. I don't admire you or so, but I'm sure you wouldn't have the same impact on me if you had 10, 100 or 1000 posts.

Little_Miss_1565
01-07-2009, 09:45 AM
You do realize whose lead he's following with that behavior right?

Yeah, I do, and if they were really so intent on being the anti-them they wouldn't do it even worse then anyone before them has done.

The elite he is talking about exists and you by no means are a part of it.. or seldom. What he means is the bunch of non-offspring fan members, who are the leftovers of the idiocy this board was, who - like some retarded childish high school clique - jump at anyone who dare criticize the point of view of any of their members.

Every forum has its own cliques. It's all in how you respond. If you get all up in arms every time someone says something you don't like, it's going to spiral out of control. If someone says something rude to you, 10 posts trying to snap back at them is probably only going to make it worse.

When you were 14-16 people had some common ground. If you look at GOD it isn't as fucked up, because it's people discussing mutually interesting things.. it's not a "psychological dick size enhancement rant center", that other parts of the board have become.

GOD is the way it is because Tijs, Sam, and I delete a shitton of bullshit every day. It's there, we just kill it.

One of the reasons the band doesn't post here is because of all this stupid negative shit, about people fighting and bickering. The semi-retarded behavior of the core is fuel for any idiots passing by, and thus they stick around. If only that fire wasn't fueled anymore...

I really wish it was that simple.

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2009, 09:49 AM
people will notice the little number and -consciously or subconsciously- use it to create an image of the user. I don't admire you or so, but I'm sure you wouldn't have the same impact on me if you had 10, 100 or 1000 posts.

I don't mean to judge you, so please forgive me if I come off that way, but god, that's just so unbelievably sad to me.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I didn't mean new members like IamSam or JohnnyNemesis. After my first 3-5 months here, it felt like I got used to the forums. But no one registers here and people say: "Hey, it's xxx! He's cool, so let's be nice to him!" Everyone needs his 100-500 posts to earn some respect here. And in my opinion there could be members that give up their hopes after their first 20-30 posts and then turn into spammers, pointless thread creators or just dead accounts. I hope I could express myself better now.

It's got less to do with post count, and how long you've been around, and more to do with a willingness to fall in-line and sucking off and backing the right people when they say something stupid by accident, that they can't own up to. That's what keeps this viscous cycle going.. people can only get attention by either being mindless drones, or attacking one of the dinosaurs, or become one of them. Then everyone gets used to this behavior, and before long, if a band member finally does post something retards will be stomping over each other to tell them how fucking stupid whatever they posted is, which will make them want to participate in these discussions sooooo much.

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2009, 09:52 AM
It's got less to do with post count, and how long you've been around, and more to do with a willingness to fall in-line and sucking off and backing the right people when they say something stupid by accident, that they can't own up to.

That's just plain not true. People liked me because I was witty even when I had 0 posts; people like T-6005, if I remember correctly, partially because he was willing to call the "1337" out on their bullshit in a way that wasn't filled with hypersensitive whining.

I think too many of you are airing out your own insecurities and applying them to the culture of the BBS as a whole.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I do, and if they were really so intent on being the anti-them they wouldn't do it even worse then anyone before them has done.

They're kids, they aren't going to be thinking "gee I don't wanna be like them".. like I said this mindless color texts and pissing each other off bullshit is what bothers me the most, but it's right up there with this completely outlandish elitism, that one has to endure here.

Every forum has its own cliques.

That's just simply not / or at the very least wasn't true. We're all here for the same thing (or should be), we have something very important in common. We choose to be here, cliques are only inevitable in situations where people have to be in a place they cannot choose (school/work/army shit like that)

It's all in how you respond. If you get all up in arms every time someone says something you don't like, it's going to spiral out of control. If someone says something rude to you, 10 posts trying to snap back at them is probably only going to make it worse.

It's definitely going to make it worse, especially if there is a double standard about who is allowed to snap back 10 times and who isn't allowed to snap back even once, because it's just going to entice everyone to snap back to over compensate.

GOD is the way it is because Tijs, Sam, and I delete a shitton of bullshit every day. It's there, we just kill it.

Well shouldn't the shitton of bullshit get deleted everyday from other parts of the forum, even if the majority of it is posted by dear friends? Who here is against that? Looking at GOD I think it's the way forward for the entire board!

I really wish it was that simple.

Well it's no mystery why people behave the way they do.. it is that simple. If you don't have a group of 10-15 regulars basically ignoring everyone but themselves and people who (justifiably or unjustifiably) criticize them, and flood the bbs with a tsunami of "your stoopid" "nobody likes you" "you're an idiot" "I laugh at you" "fuck you" in response, then people aren't going to find antagonizing them fun, and behavior like that won't become the norm. It's not fucking rocket science.

ad8
01-07-2009, 10:06 AM
I don't mean to judge you, so please forgive me if I come off that way, but god, that's just so unbelievably sad to me.

What's sad? Maybe you misunderstood me, I meant the psychological impact of that. The subconscious part. I can't just switch off my entire apperception for the time I read through these forums. Of course I didn't want to say that rate people after their post count.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 10:08 AM
That's just plain not true. People liked me because I was witty even when I had 0 posts; people like T-6005, if I remember correctly, partially because he was willing to call the "1337" out on their bullshit in a way that wasn't filled with hypersensitive whining.

I think too many of you are airing out your own insecurities and applying them to the culture of the BBS as a whole.

Would you mind - without generalizing - informing me as to WHAT THE FUCK do I have to be insecure about? Especially on a goddam offspring bbs?

Please teach me... or better yet take an educated guess.

In the bbs awards topic today I made a remark about how someone was not funny and instantly I got told to go fuck myself or whatever.. I wasn't even being rude or anything. The way that whole thread got started was completely self contradicting and not the least bit funny, it was total bullshit that I didn't even go into detail about, I just made a joke about how it wasn't funny, and I got ridiculed for it. Please tell me how the FUCK is that hypersensitive whining?

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2009, 10:09 AM
a tsunami of "your stoopid" "nobody likes you" "you're an idiot" "I laugh at you" "fuck you"

Oops, I didn't realize that ninth is the only person who posts on the BBS at all anywhere anymore. My bad.

Preemptive request: You'll notice that I didn't agree with you 100% in this post. I ask you beforehand to REMAIN CALM, for the sake of productive discussion.

Maybe you misunderstood me, I meant the psychological impact of that.

I think I misunderstood slightly. I understand more where you're coming from now. Now, I don't think you're sad, I just think the reality of what you're saying is sad.

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2009, 10:15 AM
In the bbs awards topic today I made a remark about how someone was not funny and instantly I got told to go fuck myself or whatever.. I wasn't even being rude or anything.

See, here's the thing. In my opinion, you were right when you said that. In fact, I even implied that you were right in my post, but you went apeshit over the whole sig > quoting thing instead of noticing that bit of support I was giving you; funny how that seems to happen, doesn't it?

Anyway, notice that you were right about that, but when someone said something to you in response, you went nuts. I guess what I'm saying is that, even though I'm not always right, I personally wouldn't have taken what they were saying to you seriously enough to get so upset about it.

Now, I don't always make the right move either. It's easier for me to ignore that kind of stupidity than it is for me to ignore stupid conspiracy theories; I guess everyone just has their triggers. I'm not even sure what my point is anymore, I think I'm just attempting to answer your questions now.

I just made a joke about how it wasn't funny, and I got ridiculed for it. Please tell me how the FUCK is that hypersensitive whining?

It's not, but everything you did after it was. The tone of your posts always seems to be "Wah wah BBS ELITISM!!!" instead of something like "damn, ilovellamas and RickyCrack are being really fucking stupid to me right now". I'd argue that maybe that's what the problem is right there: perception. I might be wrong, I dunno.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 10:34 AM
See, here's the thing. In my opinion, you were right when you said that. In fact, I even implied that you were right in my post, but you went apeshit over the whole sig > quoting thing instead of noticing that bit of support I was giving you; funny how that seems to happen, doesn't it?

Anyway, notice that you were right about that, but when someone said something to you in response, you went nuts. I guess what I'm saying is that, even though I'm not always right, I personally wouldn't have taken what they were saying to you seriously enough to get so upset about it.

Now, I don't always make the right move either. It's easier for me to ignore that kind of stupidity than it is for me to ignore stupid conspiracy theories; I guess everyone just has their triggers. I'm not even sure what my point is anymore, I think I'm just attempting to answer your questions now.

It's not, but everything you did after it was. The tone of your posts always seems to be "Wah wah BBS ELITISM!!!" instead of something like "damn, ilovellamas and RickyCrack are being really fucking stupid to me right now". I'd argue that maybe that's what the problem is right there: perception. I might be wrong, I dunno.

Yeah, um.. the fact that you agreed with me, was very very implicit.. in fact it was probably only in your head. In fact with sig > quote thing you kind of gave the impression that you are going out of your way to show support for your "brothers in arms" and pretend to be soooo stupid that actually equated sigging with quoting. I could've given you the benefit of the doubt and think that you might've misunderstood me, perhaps even out of my own fault, but to be perfectly fair, you didn't give me the benefit of the doubt, and instead just added that you are actively laughing at me.

My problem with BBS elitism isn't that it's a personal inconvenience - because it isn't. Not that this is important, but facts are facts: there is no active member on this board who has been around longer than me or have something offspringy I could envy etc. So if I shared this one dimensional perception of the world I could convince myself that I'm above the elite bla bla bla. So the so-called "hypersensity" you seem to constantly be magically deciphering comes not from an egotistical point of view - it simply can't just like my problem with bbs elitism can't.
My problem with BBS elitism is that it kills the boards, it derails new people it suffocates normal discussion, it does away with mutual respect, and it is in 90% responsible for this board being negative and shitty, and not a real community. The reason I don't say rickycrack and lamas are being fucking stupid to me is because a) I don't state the obvious and b) there is no point anyway.

Thomas
01-07-2009, 10:59 AM
I just wanted to say that when new members post something really worthwhile/smart, the "1337" are usually the first people to jump up and welcome them to the board because quality new members are a hard to find commodity these days.

Also, myself being neither a new member or an "1337" member, I can say that Jakebert is 100% right in what he is saying. The older members of these boards haven't changed their ways at all. If anything, they've been more welcoming than open than they were in previous years. It really is a lot of the newer members who are being really obtrusive in their posts. I'm not saying that the "1337" take absolutely 0% of the blame for the current state of these boards, but hey are just doing exactly what they've been doing all along.

Members like iPunk, Bipolar Bear, Cock Joke (although I will admit he's greatly improved since his time as ZagmenO), and many others are making this BBS dead and lifeless. Most threads are incredibly hard to read because of all the nonsense posting that is happening in threads that actually have potential.

Jakebert
01-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Agreed, and I've never once in my entire time being here seen someone get attacked based soley on postcount. Do a lot of new members here get harassed? Sure, but I think more often than that, new members quietly mix into the group of board regulars and make valuable contributions, and a lot of time, people like myself don't even realize certain members are new based on that fact. From what I've seen, this board is more welcoming to new members than any other board I've ever been on. I've been on boards that do have a clique of older members that want to push out younger ones, and I can say that those boards are nothing like this one.

The problem arises when people get criticized, but they're too self-important to admit to being wrong, then feel the need to lash out onto everyone about how their being persecuted by the old guard. Instead of taking constructive criticism and trying to learn or at least shrug it off with a sense of humor, they have to create this dumb little fake conspiracy that everyone older than them is out to get them.

When I first got here, I butted heads with tons of the so-called elite members, and now most of them either like, respect, or at the very least are able to get along with me. Why? Because I wasn't a whiny little self-important douche about it, and when I got called out for being a dumbass, I admitted it instead of creating thread-long arguments about how unfairly I was being treated when I was the one beign the dumbass. It's not that hard to do.

As for the little crew of new members taking over threads, you can say that in the past the older members took over threads, but honestly, you can't tell me that we disrupted every single thread with pointless "UR 1337 AN IMA EXPOSE U" crap, or even worse this obnoxious self love where every single post is so-and-so IS SO SEXY, I WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH YOOOU LOLOL in-jokes. Maybe we were annoying in that we wanted to have an actual conversation in every thread rather than just a bunch of stupid jokes, but what's worse?

bighead384
01-07-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't think there's any reason to complain about the board as a whole. Jakebert might have a point to ask certain people to try to make better contributions. But honestly, I don't think those people create as much of a problem as people like to act.

Christ, just...I dunno...write something interesting. Who cares if there's a couple posts in the thread that suck? I really don't get that mentality.

Jakebert
01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Personally I think it's more than a couple, and it's gotten to a point where it's hard to post in most threads because of what they turn into.

bighead384
01-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Personally I think it's more than a couple, and it's gotten to a point where it's hard to post in most threads because of what they turn into.
I dunno. Doesn't bother me. Well at least not THAT much.

ad8
01-07-2009, 12:26 PM

If I should name a problem of the current BBS, I'd say that I'm annoyed by the number of pointless threads. But I don't think that the posts destroy the threads. Most threads are doomed to fail when they are created.

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I dunno. Doesn't bother me. Well at least not THAT much.

For me, it's not that they "bother" me as much as they just make it hard to find normal conversation in. You made an awesome thread in "Other Bands" that sparked a lot of interesting discussion. Now imagine there being about 25 posts in between every "normal" one in all these colors and that sorta thing. It wouldn't ruin the thread, but it'd make it a nightmare to navigate through, don't you think? Or am I just lazy?

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't think there's any reason to complain about the board as a whole. Jakebert might have a point to ask certain people to try to make better contributions. But honestly, I don't think those people create as much of a problem as people like to act.

Christ, just...I dunno...write something interesting. Who cares if there's a couple posts in the thread that suck? I really don't get that mentality.

I agree, this thread is really exaggerated. If they don't
like those posts, they can simply ignore them and pursue the conversation.
It's not as if they hurt them in any way, or are offensive. Those posts are in
the very least not demeaning (I think - in the least I personally made a
greater effort not to insult any member anymore since my jim109109 days)
to other people, so I don't really see the problem! The thing is, there are a
lot of members who actually enjoy those posts/have a sense of humor, so
they reply to them and continue in that train of thought. People can easily
ignore those few posts, though, and talk about whatever they want to
again. Also, this thread makes it sound like every single thread is completely
derailed and ridiculous, when they maybe contain one line of colorful
comment each, which can be easily ignored and aren't really a reason to
make a fuss about. Of course, some threads like the say something about
the person who posted before you, hornypope postcount++ and bbs awards
were just predictably made for cliques, it's rather evident as to why. Apart
from those, it's not THAT BAD. Certainly, if you treat the boards as a place
for Offspring fans [which is the right way to think about it, and from what I
read is also Little_miss's opinion, one of the head Nostalgia people], then you
mostly view the general offspring discussion forum, which is still relatively the
same. Also, Johnny, those who are part of the paranoid "I whine about
anything people" are also those that make a weekly thread about the
"deteriorating boards" or about pure nostalgia exaggerated out of proportion,
making making me think, I don't know, that they see a different board than I
because I can tell you it's definitely not as bad as they make it out to be.

And yes, I do realize why I've been banned in the past, and am in fact not
doing those things anymore, such as posting NSFW, and insulting people I
dislike. If anything we're doing is against the rules, or if you make up a new
rule to get rid of us, you can let me know.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 12:32 PM
If I should name a problem of the current BBS, I'd say that I'm annoyed by the number of pointless threads. But I don't think that the posts destroy the threads. Most threads are doomed to fail when they are created.

The daily happy birthday, a thread about getting points for people who die (what the fuck?), this useless spam thread http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35969 about someone who thinks their opinion is worth more so they can start a new thread, mmm nope I don't see what you're talking about.

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2009, 12:33 PM
And yes, I do realize why I've been banned in the past, and am in fact not doing those things anymore, such as posting NSFW, and insulting people I dislike.

Well, then why were you insinuating that you being banned was unjustified? Please be more consistent.

or if you make up a new rule to get rid of us

See, why even go there?

But that reminds me, HUGE FUCKING LOL to people thinking that moderators are actually the ones making the rules. Seriously HUGE LOL.

Oh god.

If only you people knew who was really making the rules on the BBS that we have been chosen to enforce. I actually think there would be a LOT less complaining...

Llamas
01-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Maybe I should only speak for myself, but...

Does anyone really look at post-counts? Honestly? Does that shit really fucking matter?! No one looks at that shit. People are shot down for what they say, not what they do.

And anyone, anyone, ANYONE who uses post-count as a measure of anything is fucking stupid. Fucking. STUPID.

Seriously. I never look at post counts, unless I specifically find myself thinking, "huh, I wonder if this person is new".

Trust her on this one. I don't post in GOD anymore, but I used to... and there is so much shit there. GC is more lenient on shit because the band doesn't read it and because it's general chat; there's no topic to stay under.

In the bbs awards topic today I made a remark about how someone was not funny and instantly I got told to go fuck myself or whatever.. I wasn't even being rude or anything. The way that whole thread got started was completely self contradicting and not the least bit funny, it was total bullshit that I didn't even go into detail about, I just made a joke about how it wasn't funny, and I got ridiculed for it. Please tell me how the FUCK is that hypersensitive whining?
RickyCrack was drunk, hence him making fun of you. I didn't even really reply to you until I said, "Uhh... wasn't exactly trying to be funny. Apparently you don't understand mockery. Either that, or you haven't seen the original "bbs awards 2008" thread..."

I didn't even remotely attack you; I was just explaining that I was never trying to be funny. So you basically freaked out about a drunk guy saying "fuck you oxygene". I'm not really seeing the hypersensitive whining.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Well, then why were you insinuating that you being banned was unjustified? Please be more consistent.

It WAS justified when I posted porn and swore at people. The second time when I got banned for posting robots humping while threads about men fucking horse were deemed acceptable, and I didn't even get my three warnings, I felt that you were still holding a grudge for the first time, and didn't get fair treatment, but I may be wrong.

I even said I'd leave the boards for a while to relax/not get my third strike, and I still got banned. I was making efforts, and got suddenly banned for pictures I personally didn't deem offensive (they were, after all, found on a normal non-nsfw website). In any case, I was told I'd have one more chance then I got banned anyway.

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2009, 12:49 PM
didn't even get my three warnings, I felt that you were still holding a grudge for the first time, and didn't get fair treatment, but I may be wrong.

I believe you are wrong indeed. There might've been a misunderstanding, but I distinctly remember you were only banned once it was confirmed and proved that you had received your three warnings.

I'm not going to publicly talk too much about anything that goes on "behind the scenes", but I can assure ALL of you that bans, even temporary ones, are never EVER handled lightly by the moderators or administrators of the site. There is always much discussion and warnings are kept track of and everything like that.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 12:53 PM
I believe you are wrong indeed. There might've been a misunderstanding, but I distinctly remember you were only banned once it was confirmed and proved that you had received your three warnings.

I'm not going to publicly talk too much about anything that goes on "behind the scenes", but I can assure ALL of you that bans, even temporary ones, are never EVER handled lightly by the moderators or administrators of the site. There is always much discussion and warnings are kept track of and everything like that.

I really want to believe that, so I will.

hangovered
01-07-2009, 12:54 PM
I though this thred is about "how to make ppl feel good in this bbs" not about looking whose fault it is that forums is what it is now. Actually I never feel bad here, but now it appears someone did so maybe it's time to change it. I'm naive, but I always though that common interests are connecting ppl.

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2009, 12:56 PM
I hope so. Btw, it doesn't matter if you personally deem the stuff non-offensive. I hate to say it, but it really doesn't matter, 'cause you're not the one making/enforcing the rules that come from the band/administrators, etc. Sorry to have to be so blunt about it.

bighead384
01-07-2009, 12:59 PM
For me, it's not that they "bother" me as much as they just make it hard to find normal conversation in. You made an awesome thread in "Other Bands" that sparked a lot of interesting discussion. Now imagine there being about 25 posts in between every "normal" one in all these colors and that sorta thing. It wouldn't ruin the thread, but it'd make it a nightmare to navigate through, don't you think? Or am I just lazy?

Blah, I keep writing stuff than deleting it. I guess to sum it up, I agree that "excessive bullshit posts" is a problem that's worth mentioning, but not significant enough to place the bulk of the blame on. It definitely seems like people are acting like such posts are the main culprit. I don't understand that. And I'm not going to lie...I think it's ridiculous.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 01:03 PM
I hope so. Btw, it doesn't matter if you personally deem the stuff non-offensive. I hate to say it, but it really doesn't matter, 'cause you're not the one making/enforcing the rules that come from the band/administrators, etc. Sorry to have to be so blunt about it.

I suppose I just fundamentally disagree with such a system, it pretty much spells dictatorship.

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2009, 01:09 PM
That's a little extreme. In any event, we didn't create the system, and it's been there since long before you or me ever signed up for the BBS. I just have the unenviable job of dealing with the complaints.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 01:57 PM
I suppose I just fundamentally disagree with such a system, it pretty much spells dictatorship.

Well it is somewhat of a dictatorship by nature, it is a private entities board.. posting here is a privilage not a right..

ForkZ
01-07-2009, 02:00 PM
I can tell you from personal experience that the whole "typing in color" thing will get old soon.

i dont forking care!!!!
COLOR WILL NEVER BE BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<[]__(crayon)__[]
<[]__(crayon)__[]
<[]__(crayon)__[]
<[]__(crayon)__[]
<[]__(crayon)__[]
<[]__(crayon)__[]
<[]__(crayon)__[]
<[]__(crayon)__[]

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 02:03 PM

I can tell you from personal experience that the whole "not typing in color" thing will get old soon.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Actually this typing in color shit, should stop.

It's a message board.. keep it old school.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 02:13 PM
who cares if we type in color? I like it

Cock Joke
01-07-2009, 02:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PaHcZUHI00&feature=channel_page

0r4ng3
who cares if we type in color? I like itI didn't say I was annoyed by it. I'm just saying that, as someone who used to post in color, you're probably gonna get bored with it eventually.

Oxygene
who cares if we type in color? I like it

Well it isn't a fucking coloring book. I don't mind if you like the colors, I just don't think it's apropriate here on a constant basis. It bothers most.. you see it's function is to emphasize and make shit unique. If you make it common parctice it takes away it's function, and starts making it annoying.

Be curtious please and stop typing in color, if it's not too much to ask.

Thanks!

Llamas
01-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Personally I've always had a tendency to skip posts that are in color (and avoid websites that don't use a general black/white color scheme for text) because I value my perfect vision and baby my eyes to an extreme extent... and colored text hurtz mah wittow eyezies :(

wheelchairman
01-07-2009, 02:24 PM
I skip bipolar bear's posts because he's intentionally trying to be annoying, so why waste my time reading his posts?

Free?
01-07-2009, 02:26 PM
It seems that no one mentioned it before, but there are times when certain members post their colored "ZOMG"s with the only purpose to grab some attention, not to say something contributing and worth of posting. Now that can't be excused easily.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 02:28 PM
I skip bipolar bear's posts because he's intentionally trying to be annoying, so why waste my time reading his posts?

This man is a smart one, simply do like him and skip my posts if you find them annoying.

And I'll need better reasons than those to stop typing in color.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 02:28 PM

You might actually be surprised what happens, when you treat a fellow human being like... well a fellow human being.

I'm very interested to see if he stops using colors, now that someone has actually asked him politley and gave him a valid reason.

You know, not telling him he's a retard who should get fucked and lost and sucks and shit like that, but just asking nicely.

Cock Joke
01-07-2009, 02:30 PM
You know, not telling him he's a retard who should get fucked and lost and sucks and shit like that, but just asking nicely.

I've been saying that for a long, long time. :)

ForkZ
01-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Well it isn't a fucking coloring book. I don't mind if you like the colors, I just don't think it's apropriate here on a constant basis. It bothers most.. you see it's function is to emphasize and make shit unique. If you make it common parctice it takes away it's function, and starts making it annoying.

Be curtious please and stop typing in color, if it's not too much to ask.

Thanks!

HELL NO!!!!!!!
WE WILL DO WATEVER THE FoRK WE WANT TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0r4ng3
01-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Okay, you need to chill out a bit, before your shift and 1 keys press charges.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 02:34 PM
HELL NO!!!!!!!
WE WILL DO WATEVER THE FoRK WE WANT TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah.. uh.. that's a given.

What I was talking about, is getting you guys to want to not type in color. Was that not clear enough.

I was talking about "live and let live" and be curtious and set an example for the retaded 1337 dinosaurs and show them how mutual respect works.

Is that something we can do?

ForkZ
01-07-2009, 02:37 PM
NOT REALLY...
COLOR ISH THE WORLD
ITS THE MEANING OF LIFE
W/ OUT COLOR I HAVE NO REASON TO LIVE...
AnD NIETHER DO YOU

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah.. uh.. that's a given.

What I was talking about, is getting you guys to want to not type in color. Was that not clear enough.

I was talking about "live and let live" and be curtious and set an example for the retaded 1337 dinosaurs and show them how mutual respect works.

Is that something we can do?

Yeah I do understand that, I've read your posts and thought about it but I still prefer writing in color. You can continue trying to convince me if you really care that much about whether posts are colored or not.

Little_Miss_1565
01-07-2009, 02:38 PM

Not so much a dictatorship than an oligarchy. We don't want to get into the business of telling people what they can and cannot discuss, which is why things like <noun> vs. <noun> proliferate regardless of complaints. We did get to live with a delightfully rule-free environment for years and years and years, but things got pretty out of hand. If people can't self-govern, then there has to be some top-down governance. It would be really, really awesome if it wasn't needed.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 02:42 PM
NOT REALLY...
COLOR ISH THE WORLD
ITS THE MEANING OF LIFE
W/ OUT COLOR I HAVE NO REASON TO LIVE...
AnD NIETHER DO YOU

Yeah I do understand that, I've read your posts and thought about it but I still prefer writing in color. You can continue trying to convince me if you really care that much about whether posts are colored or not.

Well the 1337 was wrong so much, they were bound to be right about something eventually by chance.. didn't think it was you guys, but it looks like I stand corrected.

I feel that common courtesy should be reason enough.. the fact that it's an inconvenience to many of your fellow human beings would - ideally - be motivation enough to stop the practice of something that has no real value to anyone. I thought you guys were worth more than you were given credit for...

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2009, 02:42 PM
be curtious and set an example for the retaded 1337 dinosaurs and show them how mutual respect works.

o rly?

now that someone has actually asked him politley and gave him a valid reason.

o rly?

just asking nicely.

Gotta be fucking kidding me:

Well it isn't a fucking coloring book.

Actually this typing in color shit, should stop.

Yes, profanity laced requests are the ultimate in nice and courteous behavior. We could learn a lot from you.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Not so much a dictatorship than an oligarchy. We don't want to get into the business of telling people what they can and cannot discuss, which is why things like <noun> vs. <noun> proliferate regardless of complaints. We did get to live with a delightfully rule-free environment for years and years and years, but things got pretty out of hand. If people can't self-govern, then there has to be some top-down governance. It would be really, really awesome if it wasn't needed.

Awesome...yes!

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 02:45 PM
o rly?

o rly?

Gotta be fucking kidding me:

Yes, profanity laced requests are the ultimate in nice and courteous behavior. We could learn a lot from you.

Epicaaaaaa

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Also oxygen, you're saying I'm offending fellow human beings as if EVERYONE was offended by color like you are. As far as I can tell, nobody gives a shit as much as you and maybe a couple other people do.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 02:46 PM

Even tho it isn't the typical way to be courteous, I've used profanity amongst peers many times, while being extreemly courteous and nice...

Hello world!

If you don't believe me ask those two if they were asked nicely or not...

Glad to see you learning for a change - hope you enjoy it :)

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Also oxygen, you're saying I'm offending fellow human beings as if EVERYONE was offended by color like you are. As far as I can tell, nobody gives a shit as much as you and maybe a couple other people do.

It's not offensive, it's inconvenient and thus annoying, and I would be ever so greatful if you stopped :)

Little_Miss_1565
01-07-2009, 02:47 PM
You might actually be surprised what happens, when you treat a fellow human being like... well a fellow human being.

I'm very interested to see if he stops using colors, now that someone has actually asked him politley and gave him a valid reason.

Oxy, you seem to have missed out on the months and months before when he first started posting where people did try to reason with him. It ended up being wasted effort. He doesn't care. He is intentionally being irritating.

Awesome...yes!

By the way, you really don't have to take it upon yourself to prove why the forums can't be self-governed anymore. Really.

Ricky, Oxy, just let it go.

ForkZ
01-07-2009, 02:49 PM
:mad:in the words of bipolar bear...
DEATH TO ALL COLORLESS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

bighead384
01-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Fancy thinking the Beast was something you could hunt and kill

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Oxy, you seem to have missed out on the months and months before when he first started posting where people did try to reason with him. It ended up being wasted effort. He doesn't care. He is intentionally being irritating.

By the way, you really don't have to take it upon yourself to prove why the forums can't be self-governed anymore. Really.

Ricky, Oxy, just let it go.

The reason I have caused problems in the past was my dislike for this type of bbs government. It greatly pisses me off but I live with it now.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 02:59 PM
:mad:in the words of bipolar bear...
DEATH TO ALL COLORLESS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Why would it be so terrible to be nice? Can you explain I'd really love to understand.

ForkZ
01-07-2009, 03:08 PM
i feel like being mean...
DUH:mad:

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 03:10 PM

Why? Is it rewarding? Is it OK to be mean?

ForkZ
01-07-2009, 03:10 PM
NEOCON
DEFY YOU
EvER HEARD OF THEM???
WELL???
Y NOT PAYING ATTINTION TO THE FORKING LYRICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0r4ng3
01-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Suddenly the typing in color thing doesn't seem so bad. I guess it's all relative.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 03:12 PM
NEOCON
DEFY YOU
EvER HEARD OF THEM???
WELL???
Y NOT PAYING ATTINTION TO THE FORKING LYRICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I've never heard of them.
What are they?

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 03:16 PM

It's your own retarded problem if you think posting in color is being mean.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 03:18 PM

No, doing something that's an inconvenience to others is a mean thing to do. And it works both ways, we can be nice to eachother, or we can be mean to eachother. I like being nice.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 03:21 PM
No, doing something that's an inconvenience to others is a mean thing to do. And it works both ways, we can be nice to eachother, or we can be mean to eachother. I like being nice.

For the millionth time, most people don't have a problem/find it inconvenient as much as you do. If they do, prove it.

Free?
01-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Mmm...

Why would it be so terrible to be nice? Can you explain I'd really love to understand.

P.S:I adore Oxy's attempt to reach ForkZ' thoughts :).

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 03:23 PM
For the millionth time, most people don't have a problem/find it inconvenient as much as you do. If they do, prove it.

I'm sorry to say - but they do. :(

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Mmm...

P.S:I adore Oxy's attempt to reach ForkZ' thoughts :).

She was kidding, and personally I don't post in color to be mean, that's just retarded.

Oxy> If a lot of people hate color as much as you do, prove it or something, just don't say that as if it was true without any reason.

Superdope
01-07-2009, 03:33 PM
She was kidding, and personally I don't post in color to be mean, that's just retarded.

Oxy> If a lot of people hate color as much as you do, prove it or something, just don't say that as if it was true without any reason.

Would it really matter if it was 10, 20 or just oxy that had a problem with it? When someone asks you politely to stop doing something that would make no difference to you, but would make that person happier, then why not do it?

And I'm a little annoyed by it too.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Would it really matter if it was 10, 20 or just oxy that had a problem with it? When someone asks you politely to stop doing something that would make no difference to you, but would make that person happier, then why not do it?

And I'm a little annoyed by it too.

What if I nicely told you that I'm annoyed by the lack of color in your posts. Would you start typing in color?

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 03:36 PM

It's a reasonable request from your side to ask me to prove it, if however I can, then it would be reasonable for you all to stop.

What would happen is I would prove then you would say "fork everyone" and keep doing.

You know it's bothering everyone as much as I do refusing to admit it isn't going to change anything.

Free?
01-07-2009, 03:36 PM

And Oxygene was just following her argument, kept the conversation going on, it doesn't matter much, was she joking or not, it was her who used "color=mean" statement in the first place. It's obvious, really, there is no need to turn it upside down on Oxy's head.

We have an agreement that posting in color to be mean is retarded, that's a good start.

And I do dislike so many multicolored posts. I don't hate them. Yet...
I don't like the default forums color scheme, it's just not comfortable, and so bright posts make it even less enjoyable. Could you please stop your color revolution now? For humble me? :)

Little_Miss_1565
01-07-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm going to politely and nicely ask that everyone stop giving him exactly what he wants.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm going to politely and nicely ask that everyone stop giving him exactly what he wants.

Haha she's right ;]
so be quiet

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 03:40 PM
What if I nicely told you that I'm annoyed by the lack of color in your posts. Would you start typing in color?

If that was the norm, and I was asked nicely I would do it in a heartbeat. But it's not the norm, the norm is black and white, and it's fine that way for a message board. Because that's what it is.. I'd never ask people to post their pictures in black and white or their videos with 3.4 fps exclusivley 'cause that's not the norm, and it would annoy most.

That's all.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 03:42 PM
If that was the norm, and I was asked nicely I would do it in a heartbeat. But it's not the norm, the norm is black and white, and it's fine that way for a message board. Because that's what it is.. I'd never ask people to post their pictures in black and white or their videos with 3.4 fps exclusivley 'cause that's not the norm, and it would annoy most.

That's all.

I never have been one to like the norm. Why is everyone so desperately afraid of difference? If your post was meant to make me more inclined to quit posting in color, it served the exact opposite purpose.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 03:43 PM

And I'm going to politely ask you to let me do my thing, because I think I can get this color thing resolved and make this place all the better. No one is angry/flaming or anything, so please let us carry on and try and resolve this issue.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 03:44 PM
And I'm going to politely ask you to let me do my thing, because I think I can get this color thing resolved and make this place all the better. No one is angry/flaming or anything, so please let us carry on and try and resolve this issue.

Oxy, how dare you! You must obey your superiors. ;)

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 03:48 PM
I never have been one to like the norm. Why is everyone so desperately afraid of difference? If your post was meant to make me more inclined to quit posting in color, it served the exact opposite purpose.

I've never been one to like the pointless norm. I've always been very keen to critisize and obstruct the norm when it makes no sense to me. Obviously I don't try to feed through my asshole - because even tho that would be against the norm, which is cool - I'd prolly die of hunger pretty soon. Some norms make sense, other don't.

Distinguishing them is important.

Oxy, how dare you! You must obey your superiors. ;)

I have no superiors, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 03:51 PM
I've never been one to like the pointless norm. I've always been very keen to critisize and obstruct the norm when it makes no sense to me. Obviously I don't try to feed through my asshole - because even tho that would be against the norm, which is cool - I'd prolly die of hunger pretty soon. Some norms make sense, other don't.

Distinguishing them is important.

In my opinion, posting in one color instead of another isn't such an important norm. Why is it so annoying? Most people don't really care about it, from what I can see. [I may be wrong, maybe the whole boards are suffering from these colored posts]

I have no superiors, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Mmm excellent ;]

Free?
01-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Bipolar, don't pretend not to understand, it's not that difficult :/. It's not easy on eyes. Black background with white font isn't the best scheme for boards, but when it all brightens with different colors it's just getting much worse. The only worse thing I can imagine is posting every letter in a different color.

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 04:02 PM
In my opinion, posting in one color instead of another isn't such an important norm. Why is it so annoying? Most people don't really care about it, from what I can see. [I may be wrong, maybe the whole boards are suffering from these colored posts]

Mmm excellent ;]

I guess maybe if your signature wasn't in 5 million different colors it wouldn't be that bad, but none the less for me it take extra effort to read the color shit, because I skip it naturally, and I don't like ignoring people without a reason.

It does bother lots and lots of people, and it would be very nice if you comprimised somewhat!

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Bipolar, don't pretend not to understand, it's not that difficult :/. It's not easy on eyes. Black background with white font isn't the best scheme for boards, but when it all brightens with different colors it's just getting much worse. The only worse thing I can imagine is posting every letter in a different color.

I do understand that you personally find it annoying, along with oxy. Is that a reason not to type in color? Not really, unless you can prove that it really offends most people [which it probably doesn't].

ForkZ
01-07-2009, 04:03 PM

GOOD IDEA FREE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i LIKE TO DO THAT TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 04:05 PM
The only worse thing I can imagine is posting every letter in a different color.

Actually if he found the resources to do that, that would mean he is serious about, and not just starving for attention. That I would support :)

Oxygene
01-07-2009, 04:06 PM
I do understand that you personally find it annoying, along with oxy. Is that a reason not to type in color? Not really, unless you can prove that it really offends most people [which it probably doesn't].

I would prove it to you, but only if it would keep you fromwriting in color :)

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 04:06 PM

Hahaha you're funny

Llamas
01-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Oxy, Free?, all bpb is doing here is trying to get people to say they're annoyed by the colored typing. He wants people to be annoyed by it. Getting people to say they're annoyed is just going to make him do it more. He thinks this is amusing because he's got the interests and attention span of a 10 year old. Please stop feeding him.

ForkZ
01-07-2009, 04:07 PM
hello free?

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Oxy, Free?, all bpb is doing here is trying to get people to say they're annoyed by the colored typing. He wants people to be annoyed by it. Getting people to say they're annoyed is just going to make him do it more. He thinks this is amusing because he's got the interests and attention span of a 10 year old. Please stop feeding him.

Maybe I AM 10 years old~

Free?
01-07-2009, 04:09 PM

Okay, at least we've came to conclusion that my personal polite asking isn't good enough for you([edited]).

ForkZ, wanna try to help me figure out what Half-Truism is about? We've tried to do that earlier on this forum, but we didn't end up with something that would everyone could agree on.

ForkZ
01-07-2009, 04:11 PM
he is not t en:D

ForkZ
01-07-2009, 04:13 PM
ForkZ, wanna try to help me figure out what Half-Truism is about? We've tried to do that earlier on this forum, but we didn't end up with something that would everyone could agree on.

FORK YEAH!!!!!!
ive been using it as a breakup song:(

Cock Joke
01-07-2009, 04:21 PM
You people RULE!!!

Al Coholic
01-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Well here I am one whole day after this thread was created. I click on the last page and every reply has fuck all to do with what the thread started with. After the first 20-30 posts thats understandable, but there really doesn't seem to be anything for me to contribute to one way or another. There seems to be some squabbling over an attention whore, something about font color. Jeez, this got lame quick. Almost ironic that a thread that originally began as a polite suggestion to not turn every thread into a pointless conversation between a small group of preteens turned into a pointless conversation between a small group of preteens.

Ima go ahead and block this bipolar bear kid...maybe a few others. These threads look a little more on topic without them.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Well here I am one whole day after this thread was created. I click on the last page and every reply has fuck all to do with what the thread started with. After the first 20-30 posts thats understandable, but there really doesn't seem to be anything for me to contribute to one way or another. There seems to be some squabbling over an attention whore, something about font color. Jeez, this got lame quick. Almost ironic that a thread that originally began as a polite suggestion to not turn every thread into a pointless conversation between a small group of preteens turned into a pointless conversation between a small group of preteens.

Ima go ahead and block this bipolar bear kid...maybe a few others. These threads look a little more on topic without them.

He's right, if you're offended just block me, seriously. And I'm not the one making a big deal about colored posting, I just like posting in colors so I do. Oxy/free are the ones that actually care about it, really.

ForkZ
01-07-2009, 04:35 PM

FORK OFF BETCH!!!!!:eek:

Al Coholic
01-07-2009, 04:50 PM
So right after that last post I put two people on my ignore list. Sure enough:

This message is hidden because Bipolar Bear is on your ignore list.

This message is hidden because ForkZ is on your ignore list.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 04:52 PM
So right after that last post I put two people on my ignore list. Sure enough:

I urge everyone who hates colors so much to block me in the same way, your eyes will be completely unharmed. ;]

jacknife737
01-07-2009, 06:11 PM

Same here; his (her's?) and anyone else who uses stupid fonts/colours, i just skip over. It doesn't bother me, it just indicates that they're not worth reading.

I'd just like to echo the thought, that posters should keep threads on topic and relevant to the subject and stop engaging in idiotic off-topic blathering. Because when i click on a thread, and 2/3's of the posts are stupid inane chit-chat i simply close what could have been an interesting thread.

Also, just fucking stop it with this "1337" bullshit; it pops up every few months, and it's totally unwarranted.

Thomas
01-07-2009, 09:39 PM
FORK OFF BETCH!!!!!:eek:

That whole fork theme is getting kinda old, whoever you are.

I urge everyone who hates colors so much to block me in the same way, your eyes will be completely unharmed. ;]

I'd really rather not block you, but those colors and this black background are literally giving me a headache. I really don't care if you post in colors, but could you at least keep the brighter colors to a minimum, please?

Also, just fucking stop it with this "1337" bullshit; it pops up every few months, and it's totally unwarranted.

I whole-heartedly agree.

Also, I saw this thread had 14 pages, so I was kinda looking forward to some real discussion, but the usual suspects derailed it and basically made me waste several minutes of my life that I will never get back. Ironically, I think this proved Jakebert's original point perfectly.

Jebus
01-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Okay, you need to chill out a bit, before your shift and 1 keys press charges.
I enjoyed this greatly.

Bipolar Bear
01-07-2009, 10:18 PM
I'd really rather not block you, but those colors and this black background are literally giving me a headache. I really don't care if you post in colors, but could you at least keep the brighter colors to a minimum, please?

That's what I'm saying, most people actually don't care enough to block me. I think that the oxy/free case was pretty isolated. Of course, some colors are worse than others, such as lime green. I've already started posting a relatively larger number of posts in more "relaxed" colors if you will since this whole thread started - something that has maybe gone unnoticed but go back a few posts and you'll see.

Also, I hope the color red on black doesn't annoy you because the boards are already basically red on black. I personally find this [almost] equal to lime green, so I'm still confused. Maybe the whole board's layout should be changed. xP

Oxygene
01-08-2009, 01:30 AM

You do know that it's a rule to be nice? If you aren't nice that's grounds for getting banned :D

The Search Button
01-08-2009, 05:48 AM
This thread got way out of hand.

Where are all those "fuck you's", "fuck off's" and "STFU's"?

Gotta hate civilized people.

dff_punk
01-08-2009, 05:56 AM
This thread got way out of hand.

Where are all those "fuck you's", "fuck off's" and "STFU's"?

Gotta hate civilized people.

It's fork you now.

holland25
01-08-2009, 06:11 AM
This is what I meant by threads invaded by Rutegard and company worthless to even open again.

0r4ng3
01-08-2009, 07:04 AM
I think it's a little unfair to name Rutegard as the ringleader of whatever group is accused of derailing threads. I haven't seen many of his/her posts lately, least of all when things get off topic.

ad8
01-08-2009, 07:21 AM

I think that a self-governmental BBS is a utopy. It could be possible if people were either totally ignorant and didn't care about other the opinions of other people, which would make them not communicate any longer.
It would also be possible if people didn't have no pride/feelings at all. Then they wouldn't be bothered by criticism or other opinions.

And in my opinion such a BBS wouldn't be worth visiting. We can take a little bit of humanity. We just have to look out that it doesn't go over the top. And I guess the forum guidelines are a good example for that. In my opinion, it can't get better than people acting like the rules propose it.

ad8
01-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Seriously. I never look at post counts, unless I specifically find myself thinking, "huh, I wonder if this person is new".

Says the guy who's been here since 2004 and has under 600 posts... :P hehe

By the way this is what I was talking about some pages earlier... guess this post is one day late.:D

Thomas
01-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Actually, I'm a member of another board that has a moderator, but doesn't do a whole lot except the removal of an occasional spam bot. That place, you could say, is very much self-governed and it is probably the best message board I've ever seen. Everything goes by extremely smoothly there and everyone, especially new members, always feels very welcome. I'm really not sure what the big difference is between these boards where that can't happen here. The forum rules are practically identical to these, if not more strict, yet somehow everybody willingly abides by them and doesn't find reason to complain.

If someone screws up, they are politely called out on it, and the problem stops there. The person who messed up doesn't get offended and doesn't feel the need to defend himself. He admits his mistake and moves on. I think if everyone here did simply just that, there would be a HUGE rise in how enjoyable this BBS is. In general, the people on the other board are no more interesting than the people here, and they usually end up talking about the same thing every few days (it's a drumming message board) but for this reason, I always find myself going back there instead of here because the whole place isn't flooded by people complaining or people derailing threads.

[/rant]

Bipolar Bear
01-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Actually, I'm a member of another board that has a moderator, but doesn't do a whole lot except the removal of an occasional spam bot. That place, you could say, is very much self-governed and it is probably the best message board I've ever seen. Everything goes by extremely smoothly there and everyone, especially new members, always feels very welcome. I'm really not sure what the big difference is between these boards where that can't happen here. The forum rules are practically identical to these, if not more strict, yet somehow everybody willingly abides by them and doesn't find reason to complain.

If someone screws up, they are politely called out on it, and the problem stops there. The person who messed up doesn't get offended and doesn't feel the need to defend himself. He admits his mistake and moves on. I think if everyone here did simply just that, there would be a HUGE rise in how enjoyable this BBS is. In general, the people on the other board are no more interesting than the people here, and they usually end up talking about the same thing every few days (it's a drumming message board) but for this reason, I always find myself going back there instead of here because the whole place isn't flooded by people complaining or people derailing threads.

[/rant]

If the boards were self-governed, I believe most problems would indeed solve themselves! An example of a self-governed board is Sneedo's, and that board is THE SHIT! <3 [although much too small ;o]

0r4ng3
01-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Thomas, I bet you that other board isn't that of a punk band, who attract users who think it's the coolest thing ever to break the rules, because it's so punx and anarchy 4 lyfe.

Bipolar Bear
01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Thomas, I bet you that other board isn't that of a punk band, who attract users who think it's the coolest thing ever to break the rules, because it's so punx and anarchy 4 lyfe.

But there technically wouldn't be any rules to break ;o The rulebreakers would simply get bored/leave or adopt a new, positive lifestyle/boardstyle! >;o

~(' ')~

Thomas
01-08-2009, 12:06 PM

*sigh*

Your irrefutable logic makes me lose all hope in this place...

JohnnyNemesis
01-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Do you people seriously not remember when this place WAS self-governed, and it got so bad that the administration/band themselves decided that this place absolutely had to have moderators?

Al Coholic
01-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Some boards I've been to have a kind of VIP forum. Basically keeping the riff raff out, the VIP members nominate and bring in new members they've seen and liked on the other forums. Its a way of keeping the community of valued posters that had been there for a while. And believe it or not, it actually gave some of the more immature members something to work towards.

Bipolar Bear
01-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Some boards I've been to have a kind of VIP forum. Basically keeping the riff raff out, the VIP members nominate and bring in new members they've seen and liked on the other forums. Its a way of keeping the community of valued posters that had been there for a while. And believe it or not, it actually gave some of the more immature members something to work towards.

I've seen that. It's pretty shitty/unfair for the non-VIP/non-1337 members. It creates an elite on the boards, which is really unneeded. Where I've seen it, the VIP people even get special privileges and files ;/

Cock Joke
01-08-2009, 05:01 PM

[/rant]
I think if people were called out politely, instead of rudely, then the people called out would just say "Sorry" and move on. I said in that other thread complaining about the state of the board that when you nastily try & force someone to behave his/herself, then that person is gonna act out 5x as much as they have. If you ask nicely, then most people are gonna wanna listen, and try and fix themselves.

So, this board that Thomas posts on has the right idea, and that's what we need to do.

Bipolar Bear
01-08-2009, 05:08 PM
I think if people were called out politely, instead of rudely, then the people called out would just say "Sorry" and move on. I said in that other thread complaining about the state of the board that when you nastily try & force someone to behave his/herself, then that person is gonna act out 5x as much as they have. If you ask nicely, then most people are gonna wanna listen, and try and fix themselves.

So, this board that Thomas posts on has the right idea, and that's what we need to do.

Quoted for truth/wisdom/sex

Thomas
01-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Cock Joke, the thing is, a lot of members have recieved polite warnings and kept on acting the way they were because they thought it ws funny. A lot of people eventually got tired of that, so the politeness will naturally turn into frustration. Don't jump on your high horse there. If you just acted according to the rules in the first place, there would be no need to warnings. If you were even somewhat mature, then it wouldn't matter if you were called out on stupidity politely or not, because there's be no reason for a warning of any sort. That basically goes for everyone who this thread was originally meant for.

Cock Joke
01-08-2009, 05:41 PM
From day 1 I was getting all sorts of death threats & shit for all sorts of trivial things I did. This was before I spammed and made ridiculous jokes. I'd make legitimate posts and people would cuss me out or whatever, when they could have asked nicely for me to stop doing whatever it was I was doing.

Bipolar Bear
01-08-2009, 06:15 PM
From day 1 I was getting all sorts of death threats & shit for all sorts of trivial things I did. This was before I spammed and made ridiculous jokes. I'd make legitimate posts and people would cuss me out or whatever, when they could have asked nicely for me to stop doing whatever it was I was doing.

Yeah me too I was such a victim, I would prove it except that most of my posts on jim109109 were deleted in order for them to bury the evidence. But basically, I think the first warning I got was for quoting an image that 6651. posted that I found funny [since he posted it and I was inexperienced I thought it was ok to post them], but then they all started yelling at me and pissing me off when I was like, only having fun! And I was like, wtf is this shit!

And then this iPunk person had made a suicide thread which worried tons of people, and was evidently bullshit, so I called her out on it for worrying innocent people. I told her, hey, that's unacceptable, just kill yourself already if you're going to, and stop worrying us!. I knew she was just trolling! Was that EVEN a death threat? NOoooo, but they all acted as if it was and I got a warning for "death threat". And they were all hatin'! And I was cryin' and cryin'. Oh dear God, just the thought of it makes me want to cry once again, RIGHT now!

WE ARE THE VICTIMS HERE!!!!

And AFTER I got banned "forever", I was so distressed I might have posted porn because I was sad and distressed and and mad at life! DOES THAT MAKE ME A MONSTER!?! D:

-runs off crying into a nearby forest-

IamSam
01-08-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm sorry, but for Zag and Bipolar to be pretending that they are victims is complete crap.

Cock Joke
01-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm sorry, but for Zag and Bipolar to be pretending that they are victims is complete crap.

You weren't here back when I was new. So, you wouldn't understand. Hopefully those who were would get it.

JohnnyNemesis
01-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Oh please. The people who asked nicely were ignored just as quickly as the people who were being dicks to you guys.

Bipolar Bear
01-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Victims, I tell ya, nothing but victims in this story.

0r4ng3
01-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Guys, do we really have to start this whole argument up again? I figured we were all bored by the end of it yesterday.

jacknife737
01-08-2009, 08:30 PM
This is nothing but trolling now.

IamSam
01-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Guys, do we really have to start this whole argument up again? I figured we were all bored by the end of it yesterday.

That's my bad. Didn't know it was covered yesterday, I've been internetless for a day or so

randman21
01-08-2009, 09:04 PM
You weren't here back when I was new. So, you wouldn't understand. Hopefully those who were would get it.
I can personally attest to this. Heh, remember when you started calling the Offspring "the 'spring" and everybody went total batshit on you? That was a bit outrageous.

Now, your actions since then I can't defend.

Llamas
01-08-2009, 09:17 PM
If we did this, then people would actually be able to complain about there being a "1337". haha.

Yasrs. When I saw this thread was still going on, I was like wtf isn't everyone tired of that?

I can personally attest to this. Heh, remember when you started calling the Offspring "the 'spring" and everybody went total batshit on you? That was a bit outrageous.
haha, myself included. :P

_Lost_
01-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Fancy thinking the Beast was something you could hunt and kill
In the context, that was honestly my favorite post in this thread.

Do you people seriously not remember when this place WAS self-governed, and it got so bad that the administration/band themselves decided that this place absolutely had to have moderators?
Wasn't that back in like late '05 early '06 that we nominated and elected the first four mods? Only like 1/5 of the people posting in this topic have been around long enough to remember that.

Now here's the thing, I see this argument from both perspectives. One thing that I think a lot of people don't realize is that just about anyone who's posts get noticed and respected on a regular basis would basically qualify as 1337 to everyone else. You all may not see it, but until I came back this year, I only had the view point of the "not respected, regularly slammed" members. The few that do remember me from my early days here either remember me as another annoying kid, or as their friend because we were both considered annoying kids. But one thing I do know, is that I was basically a blip on the radar, because i didn't go apeshit every time someone slammed me. And I didn't become EROS or Dain junior.

And right now i'm getting a great look at what everyone on these boards really do think. People haven't taken for granted the efforts that some of you have taken to be worthwhile members.

Bighead, Bipolar Bear, Cock Joke: You guys all occasionally let slip a post that reveals that you really are rational, intelligent human beings. For a while there, I was reading your posts with interest. On the rare occasion that you do let slip something worth reading, it gets missed because two posts later in the same thread, you are TYPING LIKE THIS AND GOING APESHIT OVER SOMETHING. I don't give a flying fuck about the "color revolution" or any of that shit. Just say things that have relevancy to the topic.

ForkZ, your first few posts were decent, then you jumped on the irritating bandwagon. wtf happened there?

I would also like to say that the occasional "lets have teh secks. ubmine4evuh!" comments are perfectly acceptable if its once in a blue moon. If it weren't, I don't think Ricky would have quite as public of a cyber sex life as he does. We are all jealous of his enormous wang.

And Oxygene, the problem most people have with you is that most of the time your posts are in a real assholic-i'm-superior-to-you tone (even if its not intended) or you are talking about your persecution as a member. Other times you can be perfectly pleasant or at the very least tolerable. (I don't really know what my point is by saying this other than to make sure this is understood)

And finally, will you people please stop giving Rutegard shit? She and her crew aren't derailing threads anymore, yet you keep on attacking her and solely her. I know for a fact that shes hurting over all of this, so knock it off! She's a really sweet person and a pleasure to talk to if you give her the chance and she didn't mean any harm, unlike a lot of more recent thread derailings involving people that don't need to be named again.

JohnnyNemesis
01-08-2009, 09:42 PM
I would also like to say that the occasional "lets have teh secks. ubmine4evuh!" comments are perfectly acceptable if its once in a blue moon. If it weren't, I don't think Ricky would have quite as public of a cyber sex life as he does. We are all jealous of his enormous wang.

This right here is what I was talking about in the other thread when I said people still talk to me as if it's still 2006 or some junk. Le siiiigh.

Llamas
01-08-2009, 09:44 PM
I don't get why bighead keeps getting lumped in with bipolar bear and cock joke. He doesn't spam (has he ever?) and doesn't do the stupid color typing or anything. He just used to start arguments and try to pick fights, which he's ACTUALLY gotten way better about. Just because people don't like him as a poster and he USED to troll doesn't mean he has to keep getting bashed as one of the choice people who keep getting singled out. I actually think he's an alright guy.

wheelchairman
01-08-2009, 09:46 PM
This right here is what I was talking about in the other thread when I said people still talk to me as if it's still 2006 or some junk. Le siiiigh.

What? trouble in paradise? Go on....!

_Lost_
01-08-2009, 09:53 PM
I don't get why bighead keeps getting lumped in with bipolar bear and cock joke. He doesn't spam (has he ever?) and doesn't do the stupid color typing or anything. He just used to start arguments and try to pick fights, which he's ACTUALLY gotten way better about. Just because people don't like him as a poster and he USED to troll doesn't mean he has to keep getting bashed as one of the choice people who keep getting singled out. I actually think he's an alright guy.

this is true. i only included him as he is one of the people posting counter points in this thread.

...:( I iz sry 100000x.

Maybe I should have used the example of llamas asking me out in the photo album then...

IamSam
01-08-2009, 09:58 PM
However he would win the "IamSam's-screwdriver-under the fingernail" award for his ability to annoy the piss out of me.

Bighead, you can thank me later.

nieh
01-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention, but isn't Oxygene one of the few people to actually pull the "I've been here longer than you" shtick frequently?

JohnnyNemesis
01-08-2009, 10:18 PM
You are correct.

_Lost_
01-08-2009, 10:23 PM
that among other things.

Bipolar Bear
01-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Mm thanks for your opinions, you've convinced me.

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35991

Oxygene
01-09-2009, 01:50 AM
Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention, but isn't Oxygene one of the few people to actually pull the "I've been here longer than you" shtick frequently?

yeah you're right, you aren't paying enough attention.. thank god it's just a conspiracy theory that you'll have one of the dinosaurs mindlessly agree to whatever non sense one of you blurts out :) oh wait...

And Oxygene, the problem most people have with you is that most of the time your posts are in a real assholic-i'm-superior-to-you tone (even if its not intended) or you are talking about your persecution as a member. Other times you can be perfectly pleasant or at the very least tolerable. (I don't really know what my point is by saying this other than to make sure this is understood)

Actually I think it's the other way around, people project their inferiority complex outwards, and I'm a perfect target to let off steam "zOMG he might've meant something not nice, now I can tell him to go fuck himself"
You are free to ask any of the 10+ board members who've I met in real life in the past 6 months what a huge asshole I really am.. also what might not help my situation in general, is I feel no urge to win anyones approval, I guess that's so different from the norm it might make seem like some stubborn asshole, I grant you that.

Polar Bear: thank you for being courteous and nice, it's appreciated :)

bighead384
01-09-2009, 01:58 AM
In the context, that was honestly my favorite post in this thread.

Hahaha.

Fancy thinking the 1337 was something you could hunt and kill.

bighead384
01-09-2009, 02:53 AM
However he would win the "IamSam's-screwdriver-under the fingernail" award for his ability to annoy the piss out of me.

Bighead, you can thank me later.

Hahaha. I've always noticed that when I'm arguing with people, or just straight up slagging them, they seem to get waayyy more annoyed than whether other people do it. What a useful skill!

_Lost_
01-09-2009, 03:01 AM
Actually I think it's the other way around, people project their inferiority complex outwards, and I'm a perfect target to let off steam "zOMG he might've meant something not nice, now I can tell him to go fuck himself"
You are free to ask any of the 10+ board members who've I met in real life in the past 6 months what a huge asshole I really am.. also what might not help my situation in general, is I feel no urge to win anyones approval, I guess that's so different from the norm it might make seem like some stubborn asshole, I grant you that.

I get what you are saying, and like i said, i never really thought it was intentional... just you come off that way a lot of the time.

other times, i read your posts and i think, "hey, i wouldn't mind having a drink with that guy"

Oxygene
01-09-2009, 03:25 AM
I get what you are saying, and like i said, i never really thought it was intentional... just you come off that way a lot of the time.

other times, i read your posts and i think, "hey, i wouldn't mind having a drink with that guy"

I'd really like to see a post, where I come off an asshole without having been antagonized. I truly would, because to be perfectly honest - I'd like to apologize for any such post!

T-6005
01-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Spoken like a true 1337 lapdog. I'm 95% sure they read my PMs.

I see where you're coming from, but it's an idea that basically screams conspiracy. Especially here, where people love to scream conspiracy.

Would these death threats come in the form of a short two word reply reading "Chug bleach?"

EDIT - Did not mean for it to come out that way. But there was a time when it was a common reply to stupid posts.

yeah you're right, you aren't paying enough attention.. thank god it's just a conspiracy theory that you'll have one of the dinosaurs mindlessly agree to whatever non sense one of you blurts out :) oh wait...
Dinosaurs? Who exactly are you talking about there? People who've been here three years? Four? A half-decade? A full decade? Or just people who happen to come along and agree and who happen to NOT hate the imaginary organization called the i1337minati?

I'd really like to see a post, where I come off an asshole without having been antagonized. I truly would, because to be perfectly honest - I'd like to apologize for any such post!
I present no empirical evidence, but then again no one accusing anyone of anything on this board ever does - I think you're kind of a huge jerk.

Moving on - the cries of favoritism and conspiracy really get to me. I started out here, to steal a line from -Lost-, as a blip on the radar. Took me a while to get the hang of this place and to connect with people. And even with all the posts I've racked up since then, I've never really become one of those instantly-recognizeable BBS juggernaut "dinosaurs." And it's perfectly cool with me. Being around here a while - you realize that there is no such thing as a group of self-serving older members. Sure, some of them might or might not be married, but some of them can't stand each other. No such thing as a united front up there, fellas.

What I'm trying to get at is the idea that people assume that their idea of the older members is as a bunch of withholding, power-hungry (poor venue-choosing, apparently) posters, which couldn't be further from the truth. It's stupid, and it could very quickly be verified by some simple observation, which is a habit more members could benefit from.

And yet - even though some of these people have been antagonizing each other for years, you never see any childish spam arguments crop up between these people. And can anyone tell me why?

Because in ten years they've realized that the best way to coexist is respectful(ish) thought out discussion.

Oxygene
01-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Dinosaurs? Who exactly are you talking about there? People who've been here three years? Four? A half-decade? A full decade? Or just people who happen to come along and agree and who happen to NOT hate the imaginary organization called the i1337minati?

I'm talking about dinosaurs... you know dinosaurs. It's got nothing to do with how long ppl have been here.

I present no empirical evidence, but then again no one accusing anyone of anything on this board ever does

That's an intelligent attitude: I'll do something 'cause other people are doing it too... I can't wait to find out, what someone so smart thinks of me...

I think you're kind of a huge jerk.

Noted ;)

JohnnyNemesis
01-09-2009, 09:21 AM
You've always ignored empirical evidence. I'm guessing at this point people don't really feel like reasoning with you, because reason never works with you. It's like that time you swore people were being serious about the QWERT YUIOP thing ages ago even with blinding proof that it was a joke. You have repeatedly blatantly ignored proof of pretty much anything you disagree with. You're always going to ignore the truth to stick to your guns, so I doubt people even want to try anymore, me included (and with that I sign off from conversation with you)

Oxygene
01-09-2009, 09:26 AM
You've always ignored empirical evidence. I'm guessing at this point people don't really feel like reasoning with you, because reason never works with you. It's like that time you swore people were being serious about the QWERT YUIOP thing ages ago even with blinding proof that it was a joke. You have repeatedly blatantly ignored proof of pretty much anything you disagree with. You're always going to ignore the truth to stick to your guns, so I doubt people even want to try anymore, me included

Oh yeah... the ever evolved "I could show you BUT I WON'T NA NA NA NA NA".. I haven't seen that one in r/l since kindergarden...

And based on what? the "if it turns sour on my ass I'll pretend the whole thing was a joke, and hope the dumbfucks will actually be stupid enough to believe me..."

(and with that I sign off from conversation with you)

It may have taken you nearly 21 000 post, but finally you've arrived :)

Thomas
01-09-2009, 09:29 AM
I'd like to say something.

I think there really should be no need to complain about the way these boards are administered. This isn't a democracy in the slightest bit. If the admins wanted, they could give the mods absolute power and delete EVERYTHING that they even slightly disagreed with. Our admins, however, were kind enough to set some VERY lenient guidelines that are easy to understand, easy to follow, and only require moderator interference when posts get very out of hand. There are other forums where this thread would have been deleted the second anything slightly negative started occurring. If the admins wanted this place to be an absolute dictatorship, they would have every right to do so, as long as this board's community didn't have to pay a fee of some sort. Even if there IS some huge "1337 conspiracy" (which there isn't), then they would have every right to do so. This BBS is NOT protected by the United States bill of rights, and I'm not sure why everyone is acting like it is. Having such an open community as this one and being able to participate in it is nothing more than a privilege; a privilege that can be rightfully taken away without notice if the administrators so chose, but they don't because they are cool like that.

T-6005
01-09-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm talking about dinosaurs... you know dinosaurs. It's got nothing to do with how long ppl have been here.

Yes. Because I didn't say anything else in my post. At all.

Oxygene
01-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Yes. Because I didn't say anything else in my post. At all.

Listen the point is, if you don't know what I'm talking about by now, me explaining it isn't going to help you understand it

JohnnyNemesis
01-09-2009, 09:34 AM
And based on what? the "if it turns sour on my ass I'll pretend the whole thing was a joke, and hope the dumbfucks will actually be stupid enough to believe me..."

Okay wait. Wait. Wait. Wait.

I know I said I would sign off from you, and I swear I will, but holy shit, wait. I swear I will, hopefully after this post, but holy shit I'm in shock.

Someone once said that QWERT YUIOP was the name of the man who invented the keyboard and you thought he was being serious.

Now, no offense, because I really truly mean this on an objective level, but that was stupidity of a special magnitude. On a high, high level. Not only is it maybe the most obvious joke in history, but it was in a post full of nothing but jokes, and YOU STILL BELIEVED IT.

I'm just absolutely shocked, completely floored that even months later you STILL think the dude was serious.

This kinda proves the point I was trying to make all along. I think you might be the first non-spammer I put on Ignore because this is honestly making me want to cry, holy fuck. Haha.

wheelchairman
01-09-2009, 09:51 AM
I went back and looked at the thread in question and realized I was being harsh. He wasn't be retarded or stupid. Just being arrogant enough to believe that we would all need an explanation.

Oxygene
01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Okay wait. Wait. Wait. Wait.

I know I said I would sign off from you, and I swear I will, but holy shit, wait. I swear I will, hopefully after this post, but holy shit I'm in shock.

Someone once said that QWERT YUIOP was the name of the man who invented the keyboard and you thought he was being serious.

Now, no offense, because I really truly mean this on an objective level, but that was stupidity of a special magnitude. On a high, high level. Not only is it maybe the most obvious joke in history, but it was in a post full of nothing but jokes, and YOU STILL BELIEVED IT.

Oh man, where do I begin: I said that that wasn't funny, because it can't even BE a Hungarian name.. I never took it seriously. There were some fun facts posted in there that I rember being true something about 111 * 111 * 111 etc etc equaling 12345678900987654321or whatever... and you think I actually thought someone would think there was a Hungarian dude named qewrt yuiop.. let me draw a picture:
JN-s train of thought:

Someone says qwert yuiop was a hungarian inventor
a hungarian dude says that's bullshit hungarian doesn't even use those letters, so this isn't even remotley funny, except for the most simpleminded ignorant of people
he MUST think that some people think qewrt yuiop is a hungarian name, he believes some people believe it's a hungarian name - there is absolutley no way in HELL he's trying to explain to my highly educated infaliable intellect, why that can't be funny.. the hungarian guy thinks that's a hungarian name.

Good thinking bat man!

I'm just absolutely shocked, completely floored that even months later you STILL think the dude was serious.

This kinda proves the point I was trying to make all along. I think you might be the first non-spammer I put on Ignore because this is honestly making me want to cry, holy fuck. Haha.

yeah yeah yeah, everything always proves the point your always making all along and you're so smart, and you always know what's going on, and I really thought qwert yuiop was a hungarian invetor.. I'll say whatever the fuck it takes for you to get the fuck lost!

Oxygene
01-09-2009, 10:00 AM
I went back and looked at the thread in question and realized I was being harsh. He wasn't be retarded or stupid. Just being arrogant enough to believe that we would all need an explanation.

Thanks.. and if I came off as arrogant I wasn't trying to be and I sincerely apologize. I really wasn't fucking trying to be arrogant OK... if it seemed that way I"M SORRY...

jesus

0r4ng3
01-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Wait, so...if Qwert Yuiop didn't invent the keyboard, what did he invent?

Oxygene
01-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Wait, so...if Qwert Yuiop didn't invent the keyboard, what did he invent?

the mouse...

not the hungarian mouse tho!

_Lost_
01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
I'd also like to add, that you've gone pretty light on the ass hole in recent weeks Oxygene, so I got no real beef with you. :)

Jebus
01-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Seriously, what does dinosaur mean? Does it have something to do with the Godzilla gang?

Oxygene
01-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I'd also like to add, that you've gone pretty light on the ass hole in recent weeks Oxygene, so I got no real beef with you. :)

Look I do act like an asshole when I am antagonized - no doubt about that - but people waiver their right to respect when they approach me with ill will.

But this sums up nicely a lot of what I've been saying. JN is completly wrong, even his peer who hates me admits that he completley misread me. And pooof he disappears, after having accused me 70 million times of not caring about the truth empircal evidence etc etc.. why would I act nice, when I'm disrespected that way? Why?

Seriously, what does dinosaur mean? Does it have something to do with the Godzilla gang?
Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur)

Bipolar Bear
01-09-2009, 11:20 AM

I think he meant "dinosaur" as in ancient. A dinosaur member is an old one, basically.

Jebus
01-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I think he meant "dinosaur" as in ancient. A dinosaur member is an old one, basically.
but Oxygene just said...nevermind.

Cock Joke
01-09-2009, 11:51 AM

Now, your actions since then I can't defend.

Holy shit! That was some fuckin' short-bus-styled battle if I've ever seen one.

JohnnyNemesis
01-09-2009, 12:01 PM
lol 'spring. That was hilarious in retrospect.

Autonomist
01-09-2009, 02:12 PM
This thread was really interesting to me at first, and I managed to make it through 12 pages before I felt the need to contribute. Even with the amount I lurk these boards steadily decreasing I know there's been a lot of complaints about the rules which came into effect late 07 or so, but in my opinion they're still far too lenient. The fact that someone like Bipolar Bear is allowed to continue posting when he doesn't even bother to deny his sole purpose here is annoying other users, and that all 1565 can really do about it is ask people not to play into his hands is pretty fucking ridiculous to me, especially as he's been supposedly banned before.

I hope the discussion hasn't wildly moved on between pages 8 and 21, I just know that if I'd waited to read the entire thread before I posted I'd have forgotten what I wanted to say.

_Lost_
01-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I hope the discussion hasn't wildly moved on between pages 8 and 21, I just know that if I'd waited to read the entire thread before I posted I'd have forgotten what I wanted to say.

the only thing you really missed was Oxygene trying to be reasonable with Bipolar Bear and ForkZ

nieh
01-09-2009, 05:57 PM

I like how you're referring to the supposed 1337 as "dinosaurs" as if you're degrading them for being long-time posters while so many of your posts are you either bragging about how long you've been here (or other various things) or attempting to dismiss someone for not being here quite as long as you have.

Ryder1234
01-09-2009, 09:59 PM
I'd just like to throw out there that the "your band" section is the most interesting it's ever been

I fully agree. That's why I'm dissapointed that it's one of the less active sections. (Compared to GC and GOD, in reality Your Band is more active then it normally is, as it has been for the past few months)

The sad thing is the majority of this group of posters are older than 17
. I may be wrong about that but I'm pretty sure they are. And I'm 14 but haven't heard any complaints about my posts so I think of myself as lucky. I have noticed a decrease in my visits here lately. Haven't got a clue where alot of the projects im in (RAFRAG, Smash covered by us) are at.

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 02:25 AM
I like how you're referring to the supposed 1337 as "dinosaurs" as if you're degrading them for being long-time posters while so many of your posts are you either bragging about how long you've been here (or other various things) or attempting to dismiss someone for not being here quite as long as you have.

Wow, you are like soooo perceptive, shouldn't you be a detective or something?

Why does something objective have to be degrading?
How many of my posts are bragging? And also about what?
When have I dismissed someone for not being here long enough?

Care to elaborate, scooby doo?

Llamas
01-10-2009, 03:14 AM
I fully agree. That's why I'm dissapointed that it's one of the less active sections. (Compared to GC and GOD, in reality Your Band is more active then it normally is, as it has been for the past few months)

The sad thing is the majority of this group of posters are older than 17
. I may be wrong about that but I'm pretty sure they are. And I'm 14 but haven't heard any complaints about my posts so I think of myself as lucky. I have noticed a decrease in my visits here lately. Haven't got a clue where alot of the projects im in (RAFRAG, Smash covered by us) are at.

You definitely grew up quick as far as the bbs goes. I used to find you extremely annoying, but now I rather like you. It didn't take you that long, if I remember correctly. And yeah, you don't really post like you're 14... though it makes me feel ancient that you're 10 years younger than I am... damn. haha.

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 03:57 AM
You definitely grew up quick as far as the bbs goes. I used to find you extremely annoying, but now I rather like you. It didn't take you that long, if I remember correctly. And yeah, you don't really post like you're 14... though it makes me feel ancient that you're 10 years younger than I am... damn. haha.

Doesn't it make you feel like a "dinosaur"? *hint hint* :D

Llamas
01-10-2009, 04:39 AM
Well, ancient and dinosaur do go together, so I guess it's pretty futile to deny it... but I mean, I'm down with it as long as I get to be a cool dinosaur, like a velociraptor. None of that brontosaurus shit.

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 04:40 AM
Well, ancient and dinosaur do go together, so I guess it's pretty futile to deny it... but I mean, I'm down with it as long as I get to be a cool dinosaur, like a velociraptor. None of that brontosaurus shit.

But the brontosaurus was like the biggest creature ever to walk the earth.. doesn't that have some pull?

Llamas
01-10-2009, 04:41 AM
Are you calling me fat??? :mad::mad::mad:

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 04:46 AM
Are you calling me fat??? :mad:

You are on a roll today.. :) When I saw the "you are awesome" post in the cold topic I was like "geeez.. how's she gonna get out of that one" 'cause there was a kind of "I is so awesome about cold" mood to what you posted (although you can tell it wasn't intentional it just kinda came out wrong).. and u came through on that, also with these dinosaurs.. funny.

Have you been particing or something? :)

Llamas
01-10-2009, 04:49 AM
You are on a roll today.. :) When I saw the "you are awesome" post in the cold topic I was like "geeez.. how's she gonna get out of that one" 'cause there was a kind of "I is so awesome about cold" mood to what you posted (although you can tell it wasn't intentional it just kinda came out wrong)
Ha. It was totally intentional. But in a sarcastic way, to counter Maria's super whininess about the cold, I decided to be intentionally badass about it.

.. and u came through on that, also with these dinosaurs.. funny.

Have you been particing or something? :)

I'm not always an asshole. :P Plus I generally love to parctice. ;)

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 05:22 AM
Ha. It was totally intentional. But in a sarcastic way, to counter Maria's super whininess about the cold, I decided to be intentionally badass about it.

I'm not always an asshole. :P Plus I generally love to parctice. ;)

Yeah sometimes it's hard to tell, 'cause being totally honest you were on the line.. I think this board would be a better place if it was a rule to give eachother the benefit of the doubt.

Llamas
01-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Yeah sometimes it's hard to tell, 'cause being totally honest you were on the line.. I think this board would be a better place if it was a rule to give eachother the benefit of the doubt.

No, no... I did it on purpose. I was being a jerk. Because her whininess annoyed me. You should not have given me the benefit of the doubt. lol.

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 05:29 AM
No, no... I did it on purpose. I was being a jerk. Because her whininess annoyed me. You should not have given me the benefit of the doubt. lol.

No gave it a 50-50 that you are 100% serious, or that her whining is pissing you off, and u are intentionally acting the way you are... and I gave u the benefit :)

Llamas
01-10-2009, 05:31 AM
No gave it a 50-50 that you are 100% serious, or that her whining is pissing you off, and u are intentionally acting the way you are... and I gave u the benefit :)

Haha, oh okay. Well thanks I guess. :P

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 10:25 AM
To get back a little on-topic...

For starters I'd like to quote some of shit that has been said by some of us in this post, as a sort of reminder, on how stupid and paranoid everyone is when it comes to the l337..

Even if there IS some huge "1337 conspiracy" (which there isn't)

Instead of taking constructive criticism and trying to learn or at least shrug it off with a sense of humor, they have to create this dumb little fake conspiracy that everyone older than them is out to get them.

It's easier for me to ignore that kind of stupidity than it is for me to ignore stupid conspiracy theories; I guess everyone just has their triggers.

Looking through old posts I found the 06 awards thread, in which our dear dear friend skratch not only nominates some nazis for the best awards, but very graciously distinguishes that I am not part of the "leet consipiracy" people... while establishing the fact that this shit isn't new.

Whiniest member of '06: Whoever all the leet conspiracy people are. Edit: Oxygene is a whining cunt.

Isn't it strange, that after more than 2 years with all the literally thousands of noobs that come and go, people seem to precieve the same thing? I mean I know owning up to stupid childish bullshit behaviour is hard, but how long can you live in denial?

My question is.. if there was never any truth to it, why it shared by generations and generations of members coming and going? There is only one explanation, if there isn't any of that 1337 shit ppl are throwing around: n00bs are out to get you, and they all conspire to fuck with you with fake conspiracy theories.

Anyway, on more upbeat note, I found something I posted that I laughed at so hard... how can I be such a jerk-off....

I don't mind if people like me, but I honestly don't give a shit. Of course I'm not stupid, that's why I don't take part in the mutual dick sucking that goes on in here "oh I think you're the best bbs member" "no I think you are" "oh we both are" isn't that something :)

Flame away!

ad8
01-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Wow. I just stumbled upon this:
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32560

Oxygene doesn't seem so wrong anymore. (I don't really care about the 1337 thing/in my eyes it's a bit ridiculous, but this made me think a bit)

JohnnyNemesis
01-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Me, wheelchairman, and 0r4ng3 were so right in that thread. lol self-congrats.

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Me, wheelchairman, and 0r4ng3 were so right in that thread. lol self-congrats.

Yeah, I kinda noticed that.. you are always right somehow. And of course never wrong :)

Bipolar Bear
01-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Wow. I just stumbled upon this:
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32560

Oxygene doesn't seem so wrong anymore. (I don't really care about the 1337 thing/in my eyes it's a bit ridiculous, but this made me think a bit)

It's pretty amazing how this thread shows exactly how the 1337s were sizing up people / judging them openly as a group. I'm even mentioned in that thread. Yeah anyway, needless to say these were the kinds of things that pissed me off [not to blame my behavior entirely on that, but it didn't help].

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 12:26 PM
It's pretty amazing how this thread shows exactly how the 1337s were sizing up people / judging them openly as a group. I'm even mentioned in that thread. Yeah anyway, needless to say these were the kinds of things that pissed me off [not to blame my behavior entirely on that, but it didn't help].

I mean to be fair, the sizing up makes sense, after all they are an excellent judge of character... they predicted you wouldn't stop using colors, if you were treated as fellow human being, and asked nicely..

JohnnyNemesis
01-10-2009, 12:31 PM
I have Oxy on ignore, but I shudder to think what he just replied to me with. If you notice, I was being completely anti-1337 in that thread, and I fucking guarantee that it's being turned against me somehow in his post. That's how it always goes. I'm not going to click to find out though, fuck that.

Anyway, ad8 is right, and I'm glad wheelchairman stepped in and said something, because that shit was ridiculous. People just pounced on the dude for no fucking reason.

_Lost_
01-10-2009, 12:42 PM
My question is.. if there was never any truth to it, why it shared by generations and generations of members coming and going? There is only one explanation, if there isn't any of that 1337 shit ppl are throwing around: n00bs are out to get you, and they all conspire to fuck with you with fake conspiracy theories.

First off, the reason that this sort of bitching and cries of conspiracies persist, because there are some members who have been screaming it for 4+ years. Then the n00bz see these cries, if it ever happens that they get slammed by the same group, then they start to scream 1337 too. and so on and so fourth because some people just can't give it up and there are n00bz so regularly that there is always one (especially lately) to catch on a follow suit.

Second, ad8, I do see your point with that thread, but i would like to point out that only andy and TUNB were acting 1337ish. the other posts were basically defending you, and those defending you were people who are usually the first on the rip-someone-a-new-one bandwagon.

i think that the reason the perceived 1337 on this board all tend to act the same way by slamming others, is because they've been around each other for so long. not because they are all trying to close people out. me and my friends act a lot alike because we've rubbed off on one-another.

Bipolar Bear
01-10-2009, 12:52 PM
I mean to be fair, the sizing up makes sense, after all they are an excellent judge of character... they predicted you wouldn't stop using colors, if you were treated as fellow human being, and asked nicely..

I just wish they weren't being so pretentious. Every time I've had a serious argument with one, they wouldn't admit they were wrong on certain points and only focused on the weaker points I'd make. They always think they're right about everything, including with people. I've quickly been dismissed as "just another troll" in many of their heads, so whatever I say or do won't change anything. I can say the same about the opinion they have on other people [people which are actually really kind, but their faults always get noticed more than their qualities]. People aren't black & white, and aren't complete idiots only because you dislike them. Ironically, the "good members" were the ones starting the most rude shit I've seen in the past weeks, such as the "death pool" and the "worse people" nominations [which I would never have made, out of respect for others]. Even this thread is pretty pathetic, yet I'm often the one who's accused of whining (along with others).

As to how I got banned the second time..pretty ridiculous. I've acted well for approximately a month before, then made a mistake by posting robot sex, which I personally felt wasn't NSFW, and I've gotten banned immediately. ALL the NSFW images I had posted prior to those were being preceded by "nsfw", following the rule, though, showing I was making an effort with the ones I deemed NSFW. Once they had decided to ban me, though, there was no way for them to admit it was wrong [I still don't expect they'll admit a single of their faults, sadly. Try to find a post with 1337 apologizing about something - good luck]. Also, when I quoted people out of context in my signature to tease them it apparently wasn't appreciated, since I quoted moderators. I've seen MANY people quoted for saying stupid shit, but when you do it to someone with power, you're just 100x more likely to get banned. Fair? Not really.

At least they allowed me back. I wish they wouldn't keep judging me for shit I've done in the past, when I personally would love to forgive their faults and move on. Nobody's perfect. I may not be but you aren't either, 1337s, so cut the crap.

_Lost_
01-10-2009, 01:01 PM
At least they allowed me back. I wish they wouldn't keep judging me for shit I've done in the past, when I personally would love to forgive their faults and move on. Nobody's perfect. I may not be but you aren't either, 1337s, so cut the crap.

If you want people to stop judging you for what you've done in the past, then don't revert to trollish ways. it takes time for people to forget these things, but if you keep acting like the intelligent being you are, then people will get over it. A lot of the members you might consider 1337 now, have their own histories. Posters like Ryder1234 get a decent level of respect anymore. You will too. Just keep it up man. I like you when you act rational.

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 01:07 PM
First off, the reason that this sort of bitching and cries of conspiracies persist, because there are some members who have been screaming it for 4+ years. Then the n00bz see these cries, if it ever happens that they get slammed by the same group, then they start to scream 1337 too. and so on and so fourth because some people just can't give it up and there are n00bz so regularly that there is always one (especially lately) to catch on a follow suit.

Second, ad8, I do see your point with that thread, but i would like to point out that only andy and TUNB were acting 1337ish. the other posts were basically defending you, and those defending you were people who are usually the first on the rip-someone-a-new-one bandwagon.

i think that the reason the perceived 1337 on this board all tend to act the same way by slamming others, is because they've been around each other for so long. not because they are all trying to close people out. me and my friends act a lot alike because we've rubbed off on one-another.

bottom line: it's a conspiracy :)

bighead384
01-10-2009, 01:56 PM
There's no 1337. There's just a few elitist type people on these boards that really have issues but they'll never realize it because they're so good at lying to themselves about their intentions and justifying things. And boy are they pathetic. But at the same time, I really don't think it's a big "conspiracy" and it has nothing to do with post count. Actually, I think people have generally been nicer lately. But to be fair, some people really do post too much off topic shit and deserve to be called out on it.

_Lost_
01-10-2009, 02:08 PM
There's no 1337. There's just a few elitist type people on these boards that really have issues but they'll never realize it because they're so good at lying to themselves about their intentions and justifying things. And boy are they pathetic. But at the same time, I really don't think it's a big "conspiracy" and it has nothing to do with post count. Actually, I think people have generally been nicer lately. But to be fair, some people really do post too much off topic shit.

I wouldn't go so far as to say pathetic, but I honestly think you hit it on the nose there.

bottom line: it's a conspiracy :)

DAM DEM ALLZ TO HELL!

wheelchairman
01-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I kinda noticed that.. you are always right somehow. And of course never wrong :)

You should know that the statistical probability of someone never being wrong, and always being right, is extremely low if not impossible. And that's not taking into account certain ethical issues which some would view as wrong and some would view as right.

You are making another mistake again, in that of course there is a higher chance of someone complying with a request if kindness is used! I know this because I live in a community with other people and am forced to interact with them.

p.s. I don't understand George Carlin. ;)

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 02:48 PM
You should know that the statistical probability of someone never being wrong, and always being right, is extremely low if not impossible. And that's not taking into account certain ethical issues which some would view as wrong and some would view as right.

You are making another mistake again, in that of course there is a higher chance of someone complying with a request if kindness is used! I know this because I live in a community with other people and am forced to interact with them.

p.s. I don't understand George Carlin. ;)

Did you just have a break down of some sort?

JohnnyNemesis
01-10-2009, 02:49 PM
After seeing wheelchairman's quote, it's fucking uncanny that I guessed what Oxy posted so accurately, but not surprising that he overlooked my humor. Or maybe I'm overlooking his? I dunno.

Funnily enough, many people on here often give me flack for admitting too often that I might be wrong (cause it makes me look like a flip-flopper). But, when trying to defend ad8 from people being completely unfair to him, I'm the asshole somehow!

I can't win! The 1337 must be out to get me...

Oh, and fuck George Carlin. lol.

ad8
01-10-2009, 02:53 PM
I just wanted to say that I don't believe that there is a gang of 1337's or something like that. And it's right that many older members did help me / defend me in that thread. Basically I just wanted to prove that postcounts are noticed by many members and that some even use them to consciously rate other people. And in a way, it's logical to do that. If not I, but for example 0r4ng3 had created that thread, no one would have misread it and not seen the irony.

JohnnyNemesis
01-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Basically I just wanted to prove that postcounts are noticed by many members and that some even use them to consciously rate other people. And in a way, it's logical to do that. If not I, but for example 0r4ng3 had created that thread, no one would have misread it and not seen the irony.

I didn't realize that's what you were trying to do. That link was a sobering experience. I think you might be right and I think it's so sad that people do that.

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 02:55 PM
After seeing wheelchairman's quote, it's fucking uncanny that I guessed what Oxy posted so accurately, but not surprising that he overlooked my humor. Or maybe I'm overlooking his? I dunno.

Funnily enough, many people on here often give me flack for admitting too often that I might be wrong (cause it makes me look like a flip-flopper). But, when trying to defend ad8 from people being completely unfair to him, I'm the asshole somehow!

I can't win! The 1337 must be out to get me...

Oh, and fuck George Carlin. lol.

Guys, JN is pretending to ignore, so I'm posting this to piss him off, 'cause he can't reply and it'll drive him crazy. He - again - was right and guessed what I had posted SOOO accuratley.. and also, now he's pretending to admit TOO OFTEN he is wrong.. he however had not done that with the qwert yuiop thing.. and him admitting is kind of like big foot.

Anyway, any guesses on how long he's gonna keep the "I'm ignoring Oxy" sharade up? Anyone care to wager? :)

_Lost_
01-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Oxy, its charade. And I don't think you continuing to complain about that is going to change his opinion on it. I honestly think thats one thing you are just gonna have to let be...

JohnnyNemesis
01-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Holy fuck, so he is still replying to me. If I'm such an asshole, why give me so much shine? Jesus fuck.

Anyway, I forgot to respond to bighead. And dude, I think you're right for the most part, but please tell me you see how you too are implicated in all this. Everyone lies to themselves here and there, but you do, or at the very least, did as well (in a MAJOR way).

I think the problem with the first few pages of this thread was that everyone was pointing fingers, but it looks like now we're at a point where there can be more shared responsibility. Might be a little too optimistic of me because there are plenty of true assholes lurking, but we'll see.

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Oxy, its charade. And I don't think you continuing to complain about that is going to change his opinion on it. I honestly think thats one thing you are just gonna have to let be...

Do you honestly believe I think I'm going to change him? Wouldn't I have to believe that he's capable of learning/evolving for that to be true? :)

Look you and I both saw he was completly off on what he was tlaking about even Mota Boy agreed. Yet he never admitted. Do you think I would believe that someone that stubborn and mindless is going to change because I gnark at him over the interwebs?

_Lost_
01-10-2009, 03:17 PM
No, I don't and thats why its so damned irritating. You're just as stubborn as he is. Ok? So give it a rest already!

0r4ng3
01-10-2009, 03:32 PM
*sigh* I knew this wouldn't end after that first day. Fuck it, I'm out. I realize no one wants to listen to "stop arguing, this is pointless" over and over again.

Bipolar Bear
01-10-2009, 03:57 PM
My verdict:
When the elitist people do something wrong, they often justify themselves and their intentions with lies. They're a bunch of hypocrites who are unable to admit whatever wrong they do. They are always right - disagree with them on an issue and they'll argue until you're bored of it, or they'll even bait you to do something to get banned [I've seen IamSam do this to bighead NUMEROUS times. Too bad most offspring.com talk posts get deleted, because I remember this very clearly, but in this particular argument IamSam's posts were basically "grow some balls like "X", and at least do something to get banned instead of arguing and being an such an asshole"]. I think bighead can justify this. Anyway, the elites are often those who bait and turn the argument much worse by using cussing and by going all person [i.e. going all personal in the BBS award thread, and comments such as "he's a worthless member", which I have been called before, and did indeed get mad after]. In the end, when you're pissed off at them, they'll stand back and point the mods in your direction, so they can see your "misbehavior".

When other members than the elites do something wrong, it's quickly pointed out to them and they have to face the consequences. They often admit they were wrong, and try to move on, except that the elitist people have a long memory and like to bring them down again and again for it.

Basically, both sides are wrong, except that the elite side rarely faces any consequences since they hold more power/respect on these boards, and are generally more liked by the moderators. They're also more devious and hypocritical in their mischief. They like to bring people down and make themselves feel above the rest, never admitting any of their mistakes.

IamSam
01-10-2009, 04:07 PM
However I admitted I was wrong to treat you the way that I had been treating you and so far I have not done so again, correct?

I also have to say that you can be very articulate when you want to be.

T-6005
01-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Do you honestly believe I think I'm going to change him? Wouldn't I have to believe that he's capable of learning/evolving for that to be true? :)

Was.... Did that seem vaguely racist to anyone else aside from me?

0r4ng3
01-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Only if it was meant to be funny. Otherwise I wouldn't read too much into it.

Oxygene
Was.... Did that seem vaguely racist to anyone else aside from me?

Yeah racist against a spoiled rich middle class american white boy...

can anyone spell paranoia? :)

Skinny
This doesn't seem like a justified comment to me.. I haven't ever experienced one of these "baiting" incedents that you're talking about. If you say that you've been attacked personally.. I'm gonna have to believe you. But you call the "elitists" "hypocrites" and you say that they bait people into saying things that could get them banned but isn't that what you're doing here? Because it seems to me that you're trying to get IamSam in trouble with the mods..

IamSam
01-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Yep. Not racist.

Bipolar Bear
01-10-2009, 04:21 PM
However I admitted I was wrong to treat you the way that I had been treating you and so far I have not done so again, correct?

I also have to say that you can be very articulate when you want to be.

This doesn't seem like a justified comment to me.. I haven't ever experienced one of these "baiting" incedents that you're talking about. If you say that you've been attacked personally.. I'm gonna have to believe you. But you call the "elitists" "hypocrites" and you say that they bait people into saying things that could get them banned but isn't that what you're doing here? Because it seems to me that you're trying to get IamSam in trouble with the mods..

I was only using you in my example, IamSam, since it was a very good example, and the first one I thought of. I must admit you're one of the people who actually has changed though, so my post wasn't targeted at you in particular. This is just a very explicit example of baiting, so I used it.

Skinny, the baiting I'm referring to isn't always as easily seen as in my example. It's often done by degrading people's opinion if they're any different than theirs, making the person pissed off, and then making them do something against our beloved rules. I wasn't trying to bait IamSam either here, and if he had been offended by my post (which he thankfully isn't, because there's no reason to be), I wouldn't have pissed him off further, instead explaining in a post such as this one.

I admit IamSam has been respectful to me lately, so please don't use this example against him. I was only proving a point.