PDA

View Full Version : Searching user messages limited to 500. Why?

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Hey, I have a question:

While looking for bbs firsts, like first thread first member first post, I wanted to find my first post ever.. and no matter how I tried there seemed absolutley no way for me to have more than my last 500 posts listed. I tried advanced search with only posts from a year and older but to no avail.

Is there any specific reason this function is missing, where you can't search for old posts by people.

The data is obviously there, so it's not that that's for sure.

Any suggestions

wheelchairman
01-10-2009, 07:26 AM
There's an archive for this bbs somewhere, but I don't remember what the url is. I think one of the other mods knows though.

Tijs
01-10-2009, 07:31 AM
http://www.offspring.com/forums/archive/

Mota Boy
01-10-2009, 07:37 AM
To find your first post on this forum, go to "Advanced Search" and look for all posts under "Oxygene". It may max out at 500 if you show results by post, but if you show it by thread (http://www.offspring.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2090469) it will show you all the posts you've made on this incarnation of the forum.

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 08:07 AM
To find your first post on this forum, go to "Advanced Search" and look for all posts under "Oxygene". It may max out at 500 if you show results by post, but if you show it by thread (http://www.offspring.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2090469) it will show you all the posts you've made on this incarnation of the forum.

Thanks for the tip, it's a workaround. But I think the function should be added non the less.

As for the archive: I know about it, but it isn't searchable from what I gather.

Also the original question remains, is there a reason for this limit?

Endymion
01-10-2009, 04:06 PM
it's a software limitation, it's not like the admins wanted to fuck you over. learn something about large database query optimization and you'll figure out the reasoning.

Oxygene
01-10-2009, 04:09 PM
it's a software limitation, it's not like the admins wanted to fuck you over. learn something about large database query optimization and you'll figure out the reasoning.

If it found the rest the query might take 1.2 insted of .3 seconds... what's the mystery?

Endymion
01-10-2009, 07:05 PM
it doesn't do a linear search through all posts when you do a 'search for all posts by user'. underlying dbs are configured to preindex for 'common queries' -- and that takes a lot of space. by limiting the number to 500 is keeps the board from sucking up a huge amount of space and background index processing all the time. again, try learning something before you naively assume how a complex piece of technology works.

Little_Miss_1565
01-10-2009, 10:49 PM
What Ryan said. In other words, it creates a situation where the servers could grind to a halt just because a handful of people wanted to see all their posts, and it also would provide a way by which people could intentionally overload the servers like in a denial of service attack.