PDA

View Full Version : does anyone of you speak french perfectly?

denialrevisited666
01-14-2009, 02:21 PM
i have a problem...

Duskygrin
01-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Guten Abend, I'm French.

denialrevisited666
01-14-2009, 02:33 PM
j'ai des devoirs en francaise but i have absolute no clue...

Gustavo
01-14-2009, 02:35 PM
I guess most people who are from France do :)
Anyways, I don't see why a thread like this should be done, specially in the GOD session.

Duskygrin
01-14-2009, 02:36 PM
*J'ai des devoirs en français [...]

Well, tell. I stand at the ready and all that.

denialrevisited666
01-14-2009, 02:41 PM
goodness my french is really terrible!

Duskygrin
01-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Send the goodies over, quick, before I go to bed.

Sinister
01-14-2009, 03:12 PM
French is also my mother tongue, and my timezone is I think 5 or 6 hours earlier than Duskygrin's, so I may be able to help even after she's gone.

Duskygrin
01-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Teamwork right there, but if I start on the work I'll need your addy so I can email you what I'll have had sorted out already. She'll explain.

denialrevisited666
01-14-2009, 03:16 PM
guys you are awesome my addy is denialrevisited666@yahoo.de

i knew i can trust offspring fans! :D

denialrevisited666
01-14-2009, 03:19 PM
French is also my mother tongue, and my timezone is I think 5 or 6 hours earlier than Duskygrin's, so I may be able to help even after she's gone.

thanks a lot. i will come back to your help if she goes to bed! thanks i am really thankful!

Duskygrin
01-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Listen carefully. I've just sent you back the application. Your French is good, very good. However, there are a few mistakes - I won't be talking of the way you present the application, but simply about style & substance.

It's not "récemment j'ai fini" but "j'ai fini récemment". I've also changed "de travailler dans l'organisation des congrès" to "de travailler à l'organisation des congrès". I'm not so sure about that, and if you'd rather keep your formulation, you may. The rule is that you say "dans" when you work "in" a particular field, but here "l'organisation des congrès" didn't strike me as a field of work but rather as a task. Now you may help perform this task, which I figured would be best rendered by the preposition "à". But if you figure that "l'organisation des congrès" is indeed a perfectly valid job description, then you're welcome to keep "dans".

Next, I changed the tense: "permettaient" is in the imparfait, I changed that to passé composé.

Then you make a French mistake right in the middle of saying you're fluent in French. I corrected that slip as well.

You don't say "jeu d'équipe de compétence et de créativité" in this context, so I changed that to "tandem" which originally meant a bicycle with two seats but is now readily used to mean two things working in perfect harmony.

I changed the greetings at the end, I don't like the phrase "salutations distinguées" (this is highly personal, mind) because I find that haughty and pedantic. Would you like to receive "distinguished salutations"? Well, I wouldn't, so I changed that to "sincères salutations" (sincere salutations). "Cordialement" is perfectly valid but more in emails (I use that 10,000 times a day at work to be speedy, even abbreviate it to "cdt" at times) or in curt dealings with that fucking administrative system we French hate so viscerally.

And then you sign with your name.

That's it, I fear I've killed the last vestige of Deutsch flavour in that application of yours. Here's hoping you didn't get lost in my explanations.

Kisses from Paris,

Maria

denialrevisited666
01-14-2009, 03:52 PM
that is so awesome! thank you again very much, i really do appreciate that and if i can do anything for you please let me know! kisses from germany and sleep well!!!

Duskygrin
01-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Bitte schön und gute Nacht, Fräulein Lili.

denialrevisited666
01-14-2009, 03:57 PM
danke schlaf du auch gut!!!

Tijs
01-14-2009, 11:36 PM
This has very little to do with the Offspring, doesn't it?