PDA

View Full Version : "Fart" sound in "Kid you're gonna go far?"

dhess
01-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Is there a "fart" sound in "Kid you're gonna go far?"

I swear I hear one at about 1:07-1:09 into the album version of the song. I also hear it in the video at the same point in the song, but the timestamp is later because of the longer intro in the video. It's easier to hear in headphones, but I can hear it over speakers, too. I am not sure if this sound is there on the radio version, because I've not heard the song on the radio since I realized the mysterious sound was there.

Offspring seems like the type of band that would put an odd sound in the middle of a song just for the heck of it, so I was wondering if it is intentional.

I've been searching the internet for any reference to this strange sound in the song and have not found any, so I thought I'd ask here if anyone else has heard it.

Edit:
The song I am referring to is "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid," for those of you that couldn't figure it out from the dislexic way I scrambled the words.

For those that think I have a bad recording or something, the same sound is in the video that is linked right on the front page of this website. It happens around 1:27 in the video...

dff_punk
01-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Are you sure you didn't have chilli beans for breakfast?

Oxygene
01-15-2009, 01:16 PM
I doubt it's a fart sound.. is what you hear "to the beat"? SOmething like that would either have to be left in intentionally... although farting in the recording room is rather stupid, since those rooms don't really have any ventillation so the fart would drift in there for a long time :) It's suicide.. or by accident, but with new recording software is something isn't in the right rythm it sticks out like a soar thumb so it would be removed. :)

holland25
01-15-2009, 01:31 PM
What's Kid You're Gonna Go Far? Is it something like Revisited, Denial?

KHWHD
01-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Yes, I don't recall The Offspring having a song called.....

Kid you're gonna go far

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
01-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Is there a "fart" sound in "Kid you're gonna go far?"

I swear I hear one at about 1:07-1:09 into the album version of the song. I also hear it in the video at the same point in the song, but the timestamp is later because of the longer intro in the video. It's easier to hear in headphones, but I can hear it over speakers, too. I am not sure if this sound is there on the radio version, because I've not heard the song on the radio since I realized the mysterious sound was there.

Offspring seems like the type of band that would put an odd sound in the middle of a song just for the heck of it, so I was wondering if it is intentional.

I've been searching the internet for any reference to this strange sound in the song and have not found any, so I thought I'd ask here if anyone else has heard it.

Get your ears checked, kid

Thomas
01-15-2009, 02:17 PM
I listened to it with headphones, and there definitely is something there. I have no clue what it is.

Dragnet
01-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Someone sliding with his hands along the guitar strings is the only sound i could make out.

E: Wait, now I heard it too! But It's not what you think it is (of course).

Thomas
01-15-2009, 02:20 PM
It's VERY subtle. Try listening with headphones. It sounds like something went wrong for a split second when processing Dexter's voice through the mic.

Cock Joke
01-15-2009, 02:25 PM
I think I know what you're talking about, it's like a sound glitch or something.

dhess
01-15-2009, 02:48 PM
For those of you that didn't figure it out, I was referring to the song "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid."

Others of you seem to have figured that out, and I'm glad to see at least someone out there can hear the funny sound. :-)

I truely thought someone was walking up behind me and farting when I was listening in headphones, until I realized it always happened at the same point of the same song...

Jojan
01-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I hear it. But it's on 1:09 not 1:07-1:09.

http://w1.874.telia.com/~u87430085/yggfk.png

On O.C. Life at 01:56 the bass is very vibrational and makes a nice fart sound. You hear it very well with headphones.

RageAndLov
01-15-2009, 02:57 PM
I can't hear it. No glitch, no fart, no anything

_Lost_
01-15-2009, 03:00 PM
i hear it at 1:09. theres something even more subtle at 1:07 too.

and now i've gotta go listen to oc life.

I pray to god that dexter reads this one. :D

Free?
01-15-2009, 03:04 PM
No I can't hear it even if I pay attention. How unlucky I am. Or lucky?

0r4ng3
01-15-2009, 03:09 PM
This is like the "help" from Gotta Get Away all over again.

I'll check it out next time I have the chance.

Edit: lol, "You're Gonna Go Fart, Kid".

denialrevisited666
01-15-2009, 03:30 PM
lol just imagine one of the guys hold the microphone at his ass and let the feelings go..hahahaha

Budzy
01-15-2009, 05:26 PM
i hear it at 1:09. theres something even more subtle at 1:07 too.

Same, but it took me a few goes to hear it, if it hadn't had been pointed out I would never had noticed it.

Lol but nice thread followed by an awesome first reply :D

Cock Joke
01-15-2009, 09:05 PM
lol just imagine one of the guys hold the microphone at his ass and let the feelings go..hahahaha

YES! I love it.

randman21
01-15-2009, 09:15 PM
What the heck, you guys? I don't hear it! The only thing I hear is at 1:07, where he sings "if you can't get what you want". It's more like "iffffff". That could be mistaken for flatulence.

_Lost_
01-15-2009, 09:49 PM
you're really missing out then...

findout5
01-16-2009, 03:08 AM
As I listened to it, I heard nothig there...and felt no smell, therefore, it's not a fart :P

Ya know, on GD's Geek Stik Breath, the song starts with a burp.

disclaimer_07
01-16-2009, 03:22 AM
Another thread about that? :D

I'm guessing you're talking about the part where Dexter says "well". To me it sounds just like some sound effect.

ad8
01-16-2009, 05:26 AM
Wow. I heard the same thing and thought about creating a thread like this. But then I thought that everyone's gonna laugh at me because that idea is stupid. Nice to see that other people can hear that sound, too.

Edit: LOL at tags:D

shitwalker
01-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Hey, i heard it. But for me this sound is more like when you mock someone and show him your tongue and let the air go out through your lips and tongue. Or when you spit and make this sound with your lips. I don't know :)

randman21
01-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Hey, i heard it. But for me this sound is more like when you mock someone and show him your tongue and let the air go out through your lips and tongue. Or when you spit and make this sound with your lips. I don't know :)
See, this further supports my thought that it's the really strong "f" in "if". It's sounds just like what she's saying (it's called "blowing raspberries" I think).

disclaimer_07
01-16-2009, 09:23 AM
See, this further supports my thought that it's the really strong "f" in "if". It's sounds just like what she's saying (it's called "blowing raspberries" I think).

Ah, now I can hear it too. That makes my previous post invalid. I thought you guys were talking about the other part.

ygokazuki
01-16-2009, 09:02 PM
i think it's just dexter pronouncing the f in "if" really hard

Oxygene
01-17-2009, 12:14 AM
There is a technique which almost everyone uses, where they sing the exact same vocal track 2 or more times... when Dexter starts the "if" part those extra tracks are introduced and there might be some weird dissonance there that could lead to that sound... that's my theory.

dhess
01-17-2009, 10:44 AM
I was listening to it some more, after various folks have posted their ideas.

The sound I am hearing is definitely at the 1:09 timestamp on the album version of the song, as someone pointed out with a nice graphic earlier in the thread. I hadn't really narrowed in on it well enough.

It happens after the word "want," during the brief pause before the next line. I don't think it has anything to do with the word "if." It goes, "if you can't get what you want," <funny sound>, "well it's all because of me."

It really doesn't sound like an integral part of the song. In stereo headphones it sounds like an external noise. This is why my first impression was that it was some kind of joke that was intentionally put there. But, I suppose it could just be some sort of unintentional anomaly. I'd enjoy it more if it were an intentional joke though. ;)

Zee
01-27-2009, 04:44 PM
If you want a true fart sound take "Takes Me Nowhere" at the 1:04. If you can put up an "SRS" sound from your earphones do it.

But in all seriousness, it's more of a sound like someone is calling to your phone and you have it near something electronic... radio/pc screen/amp. Before it starts to ring.

Bradster
01-27-2009, 04:55 PM
I hear it at about 1.07 into the song. It's kinda funny but I would have never noticed it if someone didn't point it out hahaha

Hypodermic_89
01-28-2009, 04:21 AM
I just need to point out that this thread has awesome tags.

randman21
12-06-2009, 04:04 AM
What. The. Fuck. I heard the sound! I've listened to this song hundreds of times, but for some reason, I heard it as clearly as anything else when listening to it on my mp3 player. It blew my mind.

Anyway, it's definitely not an instrument or person making a sound (and not a fart :D). But I do believe it was intentionally put there!

dexter12296566
12-06-2009, 04:12 AM
I didn't hear anything but that might be because I used YouTube instead of a CD.

Outerspaceman21
12-07-2009, 07:15 AM
I think I heard it and it just sounds like dexter made the sound with his mouth when he was saying the next word.

SuperKnux
12-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Like various people here have mentioned it it, I don't think the sound is a "fart", more than it is a glitch.

While I love this album, my major complaint of it was always how the "loudness" recording of it deteriorated the music. There have been a few examples of clipping in past threads and I think this little "glitch" is just another example of such a mistake.

I am willing to bet that this was not intentional.

Llamas
12-07-2009, 12:21 PM
I heard it now (through earbuds on my mp3 player). It doesn't really sound like a fart (more like a glitch), and probably not intentional. Anyway, I find it really odd that people notice crap like this... do people just sit around and listen to songs, trying to find weird stuff? haha.

brothadave79
12-07-2009, 12:34 PM
What's Kid You're Gonna Go Far? Is it something like Revisited, Denial?

Or "Okay, Are You Doing Kristy?"

Little_Miss_1565
12-07-2009, 12:43 PM

Literally LOLing. Out loud.

Llamas
12-07-2009, 01:04 PM

HAHAHA this should've been a song title. I love it!

Outerspaceman21
12-07-2009, 06:41 PM

This wins so bad. Yeah

NoodlesIsTheBomb
12-07-2009, 11:54 PM
omfg how have you people not picked up on it, it is the bass guitar, the bass line is different in the second verse, Greg K goes with the guitar and then follows with the bass drum, so it sounds like fart because he is adding a popping effect to the bass, so yeah, problem solved, seriously if you disagree you are an idiot, becuz i can play it on bass, aswell as guitar..............:)

randman21
12-08-2009, 12:01 AM
I heard it now (through earbuds on my mp3 player). It doesn't really sound like a fart (more like a glitch), and probably not intentional. Anyway, I find it really odd that people notice crap like this... do people just sit around and listen to songs, trying to find weird stuff? haha.
Haha, that's what I said when I finally heard it. But then I realized that it jumped out of nowhere when I wasn't looking for it. I guess it's more obvious, depending on what you're listening with, so I give them a pass this time. ;)

omfg how have you people not picked up on it, it is the bass guitar, the bass line is different in the second verse, Greg K goes with the guitar and then follows with the bass drum, so it sounds like fart because he is adding a popping effect to the bass, so yeah, problem solved, seriously if you disagree you are an idiot, becuz i can play it on bass, aswell as guitar..............:)

Umm, no. Have you thought about the possibility that you haven't heard the thing we're talking about? For those who have, we can say for 100% sure that it's not a bass. Or any instrument. We all know what basses sound like, and this is totally outside of the realm of what a bass can do (without some sort of effect).

offsrx
12-09-2009, 03:49 AM
hahaha this thread is so funny!
So it's when Dexter says "WELL it's all because of me" with "WELL" on fart. Am I right?
If so, I don't think it's a fart. It's just a brain game; if you want 2 hear that sound, you'll hear it, so it's not a fart. It's just a high pronounciation on word "WELL"..

dexter12296566
12-09-2009, 03:50 AM
hahaha this thread is so funny!
So it's when Dexter says "WELL it's all because of me" with "WELL" on fart. Am I right?
If so, I don't think it's a fart. It's just a brain game; if you want 2 hear that sound, you'll hear it, so it's not a fart. It's just a high pronounciation on word "WELL"..

I agree with him about the mind thing. I didn't hear it.

Walfri
12-10-2009, 10:27 AM
It's nothing!
forget it boy..

randy
12-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Off topic maybe:
Has anybody noticed an "ah" at the beginning of Come Out And Play?

Walfri
12-11-2009, 09:19 PM
no, but I'll listen it carefully..

randy
12-13-2009, 09:26 PM
And there´s also a little guitar noodling at the end of "Gotta Get Away".