PDA

View Full Version : Recording Studios?

MoonTan™
01-18-2009, 01:38 AM
Well, There has been alot of talk about the mixing and producing of Rise and fall, Rage and Grace, and well ive been thinking, what about the studios that they recorded in,

Recording Studios make a HUGE Difference in an album.. I mean listen to Splinter and then Rafrag, or Americana and Conspiracy of one,

And most importantly, Smash and ixnay, They all have different Producers and Equipment,
they each have a distinctive sound,

Your thoughts.............

Album Data:

Self Titled: No Data, Sorry

Ignition: Westbeach Recorders, Hollywood, California and Track Record, North Hollywood, California.

Smash: Track Record, North Hollywood, California

Ixnay: Eldorado Recording Studio, Hollywood, California

Americana: Eldorado Recording Studio, Burbank, California.

Co1: NRG Studios, North Hollywood, California

Splinter: Henson Recording Studios, Los Angeles, California and Southern Tracks Recording, Atlanta, Georgia.

Rafrag: Sterling Sound, New York, NY.

Oxygene
01-18-2009, 01:39 AM
I think it's more than producer and less the studio equipment that changes the sound.

kill the president
01-18-2009, 01:51 AM
Well, There has been alot of talk about the mixing and producing of Rise and fall, Rage and Grace, and well ive been thinking, what about the studios that they recorded in,

Recording Studios make a HUGE Difference in an album.. I mean listen to Splinter and then Rafrag, or Americana and Conspiracy of one,

And most importantly, Smash and ixnay, They all have different Producers and Equipment,

Album Data:

Ignition: Westbeach Recorders, Hollywood, California and Track Record, North Hollywood, California.

Splinter: Henson Recording Studios, Los Angeles, California and Southern Tracks Recording, Atlanta, Georgia.

S/t was recorded and mixed in california I belive

jacknife737
01-18-2009, 01:57 AM
I think it's more than producer and less the studio equipment that changes the sound.

This. 10 characters

MoonTan™
01-18-2009, 02:14 AM
There are different microphones and recording techniques and each recording studio.

Think about it, different mics will make guitars, drums sound different, there is so much more to studios than people think....

Oxygene
01-18-2009, 02:19 AM
There are different microphones and recording techniques and each recording studio.

Think about it, different mics will make guitars, drums sound different, there is so much more to studios than people think....

I don't have to think about, I know about it.. I've recorded a proper album, so I am semi-informed :)

The fact of the matter is, they don't make a difference in the overall sound, of course some equipment is better at certain things than others etc.. but they mainly matter for the producer (sound engineer), for the dynamics and shit which he's searching for.

This is silly but, if you were to look at it this way, the instruments (guitar, pickup, amp, cabs) are responsible for like 60 of the sounds the sound engineer for 39 and 1% is shit like the mic the mixer etc.. I mean obviously we're not talking retarded 8track tape recording, but differences between real studio and real studio...

jacknife737
01-18-2009, 02:38 AM
Of course, different equipment will have an effect on the sound; but you can always buy/rent guitars, amps, microphones, wherever you are. The sound you get with a producer, can't be reconstructed, without working with the exact same person again. A producer will have a much larger impact on how an album's sound, then any equipment used during the process.

Tomasisko
01-18-2009, 04:01 AM
the producer is a reason why each album sounds different. I guess...

RobinoZombie
01-18-2009, 05:28 AM
I don't have to think about, I know about it.. I've recorded a proper album, so I am semi-informed :)

The fact of the matter is, they don't make a difference in the overall sound, of course some equipment is better at certain things than others etc.. but they mainly matter for the producer (sound engineer), for the dynamics and shit which he's searching for.

This is silly but, if you were to look at it this way, the instruments (guitar, pickup, amp, cabs) are responsible for like 60 of the sounds the sound engineer for 39 and 1% is shit like the mic the mixer etc.. I mean obviously we're not talking retarded 8track tape recording, but differences between real studio and real studio...

+1 on this,

And when Everythings recorded, and the mixing begins thats when the magic happens, Effects and Guitarsounds are polished and put in its place.

Amiralanal
01-18-2009, 05:41 AM
I heard a interview with Fletcher from Pennywise some time ago.
He said that Westbeach recorders was located in a house, that was later purchased by some filmstudio. The house was used in the Comedy-film ''Bowfinger'', starring Steve Martin and Eddie murphy.
In the movie you can see the small booth that was used to record vocals. In the movie, it appears as some form of closet or something. Pretty cool.

zsk
01-18-2009, 06:24 AM

Album Data:

what about hawai?(maui)
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=BQBXWGDFyn4

Alex101
01-18-2009, 10:49 AM
The self-titled album was recorded at South Coast Recording in Santa Ana, California.

findout5
01-18-2009, 12:09 PM
RAFRAG was recorded in 3 different studios. Some of it was also done in D-13 (AKA Dexter's Studio).

MoonTan™
01-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Yeah i know, i was just lazy and copy and pasted the info from CD Universe.

Little_Miss_1565
01-18-2009, 06:36 PM
The studio itself really doesn't color the sound of the record. A good, reputable studio and similar staff basically makes it easier to accurately reproduce what you're hearing in the control room onto the recording. You're right, though, that some microphones pick up some things more than others.

Whether it's analog or digital, who the producer/engineer/mixer/masterer is, etc. have more to do with what colors the sound.

ZbadhabitZ
01-18-2009, 07:30 PM
As a side note, Sterling Sound is a mastering facility in NY, run (or at least founded by) Dave Sterling. I think they have some recording facilities there, but I've never heard of a band using the place to record, and I have my doubts that The Offspring did. If anything, I think Dexter's studio, and Rock's studio in Hawaii were where everything got done. Maybe someone knows more and can confirm, though.

Little_Miss_1565
01-18-2009, 07:39 PM
As a side note, Sterling Sound is a mastering facility in NY, run (or at least founded by) Dave Sterling. I think they have some recording facilities there, but I've never heard of a band using the place to record, and I have my doubts that The Offspring did. If anything, I think Dexter's studio, and Rock's studio in Hawaii were where everything got done. Maybe someone knows more and can confirm, though.

I think someone's pointed out already that the RFRG credits say it was recorded elsewhere, but you're right, Sterling Sound does mastering.

randman21
01-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Recorded and Mixed at Plantation Mixing and Recording, Haiku, HI
D-13 Studio, Huntington Beach, CA and
Henson Recording Studios

findout5
01-19-2009, 04:52 AM
Recorded and Mixed at Plantation Mixing and Recording, Haiku, HI
D-13 Studio, Huntington Beach, CA and
Henson Recording Studios

All ppl had to do was check out the credits on RAFRAG!
Over 100 days were spent in Hawaii - IT SAYS SO ON THE DVD!