PDA

View Full Version : RaFRaG Sales Update

Omni
01-20-2009, 04:21 PM
218,000. With sources. Since January 15

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAFRAG#Sales

EDIT: Also, according to their discography page, it's marginally outsold Splinter on a worldwide scale, at just slightly over 2,000,000 sold worldwide, to Splinter's 1,800,000. So it's no longer their worst selling album after Ignition, if you want to get technical.

Smash_Returns
01-20-2009, 05:38 PM
And, considering they haven't toured the U.S yet, that's quite good. Once they tour the U.S., the sales will skyrocket.

T_immortal
01-20-2009, 05:40 PM

EDIT: Also, according to their discography page, it's marginally outsold Splinter on a worldwide scale, at just slightly over 2,000,000 sold worldwide, to Splinter's 1,800,000. So it's no longer their worst selling album after Ignition, if you want to get technical.

I don't know about the discography page, but the figure based on january 15th was added to the page by yours truly :), I'll be updating every week as soon as I get my hands on the numbers

EDIT: Checked the sources attached to the discography, and RAFRAG has none of the certifications listed other than gold in Australia, so most likely those numbers are bogus. However, the US sales figure on the main page is accurate, I promise :).

Omni
01-20-2009, 06:42 PM
How do you go about finding world and U.S sales?

And do you mean the fact that every album is like 2x Platinum is Australia, that's false?

EDIT: nevermind, missread. You were talking about just RaFRaG, not every album. However, I'd like for someone to tell me how to track down the sales worldwide and per country. I don't know why it seems to difficult to do. I could entertain myself for days looking up the figures of all my favorite bands.

Cock Joke
01-20-2009, 06:58 PM
And, considering they haven't toured the U.S yet, that's quite good. Once they tour the U.S., the sales will skyrocket.

I concur!!!

bouncingcoles
01-20-2009, 07:52 PM
record sales mean nothing when comparing an album that came out in 2008 or 2009 compared to an album that came out 5 years earlier. i bet if record sales stayed the same since 2003 RAFRG would have sold 500,000 like splinter

jacknife737
01-20-2009, 07:57 PM
record sales mean nothing when comparing an album that came out in 2008 or 2009 compared to an album that came out 5 years earlier. i bet if record sales stayed the same since 2003 RAFRG would have sold 500,000 like splinter

Pretty much, i'd actually think that RAFRAG's would have been higher, considering it debut at #10, while Splinter was #30.

Cock Joke
01-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Yea...RAFRAG woulda been waaaay higher than Splinter during that time period or earlier.

T_immortal
01-20-2009, 08:01 PM
It's not that CD sales are dead (they've definitely declined sharply), albums like Chinese Democracy, Death Magnetic, and Nickelback's latest (dear god...) are seeing more than decent sales. I just think that public interest in the Offspring had generally waned by the time RAFRAG came out, but the US tour should help things. Plus, it's been in steady climb ever since it's re-entry into the billboard 200. Pattern is as follows: (over the last 5 weeks)

Next week, we crack the top 150 :D

jacknife737
01-20-2009, 08:03 PM
It's not that CD sales are dead (they've definitely declined sharply), albums like Chinese Democracy, Death Magnetic, and Nickelback's latest (dear god...) are seeing more than decent sales. I just think that public interest in the Offspring had generally waned by the time RAFRAG came out, but the US tour should help things.

While that is true to an extent; you can bet your life, that if any of those albums had been released 5 years ago, their sales would probably all be double what they are now.

T_immortal
01-20-2009, 08:11 PM
While that is true to an extent; you can bet your life, that if any of those albums had been released 5 years ago, their sales would probably all be double what they are now.

Another thing I think is that RAFRAG was not marketed/promoted properly. I actually thought/hoped that it would have been one of the more hotly anticipated albums of the year, it didn't explode like the other high profile releases this year.

brothadave79
01-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Another thing I think is that RAFRAG was not marketed/promoted properly. I actually thought/hoped that it would have been one of the more hotly anticipated albums of the year, it didn't explode like the other high profile releases this year.

Really? I thought the marketing was all out! Hammerhead featured in Madden '09, Rock Band DLC, the video released on IGN's site, the band headlining some big tours, enjoying extensive radio play (after all, nothing promotes an album like a hit single). The big question, at least in my mind, is why none of this translated into an ability to move RAFRAG off the shelves.

Budzy
01-20-2009, 10:54 PM
2 million albums worldwide sounds pretty decent.

jacknife737
01-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Really? I thought the marketing was all out! Hammerhead featured in Madden '09, Rock Band DLC, the video released on IGN's site, the band headlining some big tours, enjoying extensive radio play (after all, nothing promotes an album like a hit single). The big question, at least in my mind, is why none of this translated into an ability to move RAFRAG off the shelves.

This.

The marketing for RAFRAG has been a lot better then it was for Splinter.

bighead384
01-21-2009, 12:00 AM
That's all they've sold? Wow. It's like they haven't picked up at all.

I'm thinking...
-the general public is just turned off from the idea of an Offspring album after Splinter*, which wasn't a very cohesive album.
-Even the people that want to give them the benefit of the doubt after Splinter just decided to download it instead of paying
-they haven't toured North America yet
-they don't really have a well defined target audience, and the fact that they're getting older makes them even less marketable

Psh, I dunno. I guess a lot of different things factor into this.

*Splinter may have been a worthy effort for hardcore fans, but I don't think it would stand out to the casual listener much

danitanev
01-21-2009, 12:57 AM
It's a nice thread and good info - thanks! I hope RAFRAG is gonna go further and further with the sales! :)

selfDemanDeD
01-21-2009, 01:57 AM
I heard that 95% of the mp3 downloads in 2008 we're "illegal" :) but I think too, that sales will raise up after a U.S. tour.

Omni
01-21-2009, 03:06 AM
That's all they've sold? Wow. It's like they haven't picked up at all.

I'm thinking...
-the general public is just turned off from the idea of an Offspring album after Splinter*, which wasn't a very cohesive album.
-Even the people that want to give them the benefit of the doubt after Splinter just decided to download it instead of paying
-they haven't toured North America yet
-they don't really have a well defined target audience, and the fact that they're getting older makes them even less marketable

Psh, I dunno. I guess a lot of different things factor into this.

*Splinter may have been a worthy effort for hardcore fans, but I don't think it would stand out to the casual listener much

Hasn't picked up? Last month it was at 180,000. The opening week - which is generally the strongest week for an album, especially one of a well-known band - was only 46,000. So it's increased almost 40,000 in a month. You make a good point with the touring, but their audience is the same mainstream audience as it's always been, testified by the fact that YGGF,K spent 11 weeks at the top of the charts, Hammerhead climbed to #2, and KAYDO is at #16 and climbing. It may actually be a possibility that the album will go Gold eventually if they release another single and go on tour. Although it'll just barely crawl to it.

HeadAroundU
01-21-2009, 06:00 AM
2 million albums worldwide sounds pretty decent.
Is this really 2 million??? If not, somebody delete it. Again.

AUS: Gold[52]
FIN: Gold[53]
NZ: Platinum[54]
SWI: Gold[30]
JAP: Platinum[32]

http://www.swisscharts.com/search_certifications.asp?search=The+Offspring Where the fuck does it say that it's gold in Switzerland?

RageAndLov
01-21-2009, 10:20 AM

The world wide sale was 600'000 not long ago, how could it be up to 2 millions already? I highly doubt that.
And the source for the US sales is not very reliable. The source is what some BBS member of another BBS said. And she did not have any sources.

RageAndLov
01-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Is this really 2 million??? If not, somebody delete it. Again.

AUS: Gold[52]
FIN: Gold[53]
NZ: Platinum[54]
SWI: Gold[30]
JAP: Platinum[32]

http://www.swisscharts.com/search_certifications.asp?search=The+Offspring Where the fuck does it say that it's gold in Switzerland?

Remember, Gold and Platinum in the world don't mean the same as Gold and Platinum in the US. For example here in Norway to get Platinum, the album has to be sold 100'000 times, while in other countries that is mere peanuts and gives you no certificate (maybe Bronze?).

Little_Miss_1565
01-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Exactly. Sell 10 copies in some countries, and you're platinum! ;)

RageAndLov
01-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Exactly. Sell 10 copies in some countries, and you're platinum! ;)

Yeah! I bet that if you sell 100 copies of your album in Vatican, you'll get it certified as Diamond :p

T_immortal
01-21-2009, 02:25 PM
The world wide sale was 600'000 not long ago, how could it be up to 2 millions already? I highly doubt that.
And the source for the US sales is not very reliable. The source is what some BBS member of another BBS said. And she did not have any sources.

The BBS from which the US sales figure was taken is actually one of their members posting a full list of the Billboard 200 numbers for the week. That information is available to subscribers only and people make it available for others to look over. I make it a habit of searching up the numbers every week. It's legit, taken right from the source :), just goes through a couple of channels first.

Omni
01-22-2009, 04:13 AM
I think first-week sales are almost as strong today as they were five years ago. Albums like Death Magnetic go nearly platinum the first week. The difference, however, if you look at albums years ago that had such a strong opening, they all go on to be like 4-8x platinum. Death Magentic, according to Wikipedia, is at 1.5 million sold in the U.S now. It'll probably peak at 2,000,000 within the year, and then take years and years of building up finally reach 3x platinum. Sales don't flow like they used to, they explode and then come to a dead halt.

So, in other words, a big-name band will sell an asston in the first week, but everyone who wants to buy their album will be it within the first couple of months, and then it'll be just like every other album.

Alex101
01-22-2009, 02:03 PM
According to the page on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAFRAG#Sales), it sold 218,084 copies, making the sales of the album only better than Splinter, despite no big tour to support it.

T_immortal
01-22-2009, 06:35 PM
According to the page on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAFRAG#Sales), it sold 218,084 copies, making the sales of the album only better than Splinter, despite no big tour to support it.

Actually Splinter went gold two months after it came out, and RAFRAG isnt even halfway there yet after seven months. I'm trying to find the numbers for this week but it seems like no ones posted them yet :( if anyone can find the numbers feel free to update the wikipedia page :).

HeadAroundU
01-23-2009, 06:56 AM
Omni, delete that bullshit about 2 000 000 from the first post and post this:

USA: *** - 218 084
JAP: Gold - 100 000
AUS: Gold - 35 000

I checked JAP and AUS. It looks OK.

Little_Miss_1565
01-23-2009, 07:02 AM
The big question, at least in my mind, is why none of this translated into an ability to move RAFRAG off the shelves.

Tour. Rock bands need a tour to sell records.

Smash_Returns
01-23-2009, 08:24 AM
Yes. At least I know 3 people that are planning on buying the album, rather than downloading, once we get it here unedited. We have a Kmart and Walmart here. Walmart edits, and Kmart has only recieved 1 copy ever since it came out, and that sold like right away.

And a U.S. tour will definately send it gold, possibly platinum. The successful singles will definitely increase the number of people going to see them in concert, and pretty much everyone feels obligated to buy the album the see in concert. (or already has it)

Omni
01-23-2009, 02:24 PM
possibly platinum

No. Just... no.

Cock Joke
01-23-2009, 09:37 PM
No. Just... no.
Why not?

Omni, why don't you delete the false information?
Geeeeeeeez really?

randman21
01-23-2009, 09:47 PM
I swear HeadAboveU posted that.

Anyway, Omni said the info wasn't false.

RageAndLov
01-24-2009, 04:26 AM
And a U.S. tour will definately send it gold, possibly platinum. The successful singles will definitely increase the number of people going to see them in concert, and pretty much everyone feels obligated to buy the album the see in concert. (or already has it)

Gold perhaps, platinum - no way!

bighead384
02-14-2009, 02:46 PM
As of February 6th, 2009 it has sold 218,084 copies in the US[23].

Alex101
02-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Gold perhaps, platinum - no way!
Both gold and platinum perhaps, maybe yes, maybe no...

Cock Joke
02-14-2009, 03:25 PM
It doesn't seem too outrageous to assume the album will go platinum with a US tour. That will really, really boost sales!

bighead384
04-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Anyone have an update?

Outerspaceman21
04-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Well, it's sold almost 400,000 in the U.S., 100,000 short of a gold certification.

It's twice that in Japan and has reached a 3x platinum rating.

bighead384
04-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Well, it's sold almost 400,000 in the U.S., 100,000 short of a gold certification.

It's twice that in Japan and has reached a 3x platinum rating.

Not that I think you'd lie, but do you have a source?

Outerspaceman21
04-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Not that I think you'd lie, but do you have a source?

That link to wikipedia a few post up...

Hey, it's all we got. Internet reliabilty doesn't go very far.

Little_Miss_1565
04-22-2009, 10:00 PM

I wish this was true, but they're about halfway to gold. And in these times, that's really pretty good. What's really, really good is that they're selling a couple thousand every week pretty consistently, and that's before the tour starts. There's like two radio formats playing the band right now, right? Pretty darn good.

Outerspaceman21
04-23-2009, 09:42 AM
I wish this was true, but they're about halfway to gold. And in these times, that's really pretty good. What's really, really good is that they're selling a couple thousand every week pretty consistently, and that's before the tour starts. There's like two radio formats playing the band right now, right? Pretty darn good.

Well, what are we gonna do? Abolish peer to peer file sharing and bring down mainstream radio acts like The Jonas Brothers and Justin Timberlake in favor of lesser known acts like The Offspring.

Theres not much we can do. Shit is fucked up in society

Little_Miss_1565
04-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Well, what are we gonna do? Abolish peer to peer file sharing and bring down mainstream radio acts like The Jonas Brothers and Justin Timberlake in favor of lesser known acts like The Offspring.

Theres not much we can do. Shit is fucked up in society

...everything I said was positive and not complaining about P2P or JT?

Outerspaceman21
04-23-2009, 12:26 PM
...everything I said was positive and not complaining about P2P or JT?

Yeah, I know. Those were just the reasons as to why such a thing as getting a gold certifaction is so hard. Sometimes I feel we are just getting to far ahead of ourselves in technology.

RageAndLov
04-23-2009, 12:49 PM

250'000 records even in this time is not what I would call "really pretty good".
That is very low for Offspring' standard.

jacknife737
04-23-2009, 12:56 PM
250'000 records even in this time is not what I would call "really pretty good".

It's a reality of the current state of the music industry; the album, given the current context is doing relatively well. On the billboard 200, it debut 20 spots higher then Splinter did; unfortunately, not as many people are willing to pay for music as they were in 2003.

I mean, U2 still have yet to hit a million units sold in the US for their last album, and they're one of the biggest bands in the world.

RageAndLov
04-23-2009, 01:20 PM
It's a reality of the current state of the music industry; the album, given the current context is doing relatively well. On the billboard 200, it debut 20 spots higher then Splinter did; unfortunately, not as many people are willing to pay for music as they were in 2003.

I mean, U2 still have yet to hit a million units sold in the US for their last album, and they're one of the biggest bands in the world.

Yeah, I kinda agree with you. I just wouldn't say "really pretty good". More like "not bad".

I also think that the sales numbers will go up during and after world tour, and that it can reach gold in the US and ove a million sold records throughout the world.

Outerspaceman21
04-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Honestly the only people who care how many CDs they sell is their record company. Offspring has always been a supporter of file sharing sites.

randman21
04-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Umm, what did you say about Justin Timberlake? I will cut you, holmes.

Outerspaceman21
04-23-2009, 02:33 PM

I said he was popular and stealing all the attention from the Offspring because of that. YOU GOT A PROBLEM!?!?!

randman21
04-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I said he was popular and stealing all the attention from the Offspring because of that. YOU GOT A PROBLEM!?!?!
I guess that wasn't so bad. But don't be lumping him in with the Jonas Brothers. *puts away box cutter*

I guess I'd better say something on-topic now, heh. (This is to RageAndLov) I guess you can really tell the state of record sales when a song stays at number one for 11 weeks and the album it's on isn't even gold yet. Has anything like that ever happened before a few years ago?

Llamas
04-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Honestly the only people who care how many CDs they sell is their record company. Offspring has always been a supporter of file sharing sites.
That has been proven wrong right here on this very site by the band itself. Shortly before RFRG came out.

lawlz <3

Offspring had their time in the sun... it doesn't bother me that other people are up front now. In general, though, popularity doesn't matter to me that much. I mean, it's not like the Offspring isn't making a lot of money... it's still a band of dudes that have a whole lot of money :P

Little_Miss_1565
04-23-2009, 07:09 PM

Jacknife is 100% right. 250K in a year is something a lot of bands would cut bitches for right now.

I also think that the sales numbers will go up during and after world tour, and that it can reach gold in the US and ove a million sold records throughout the world.

I agree that the sales numbers will likely go up while they're on tour, and that gold is a possibility. But I reserve the right to be surprised as fuck when ANYONE goes platinum anymore.

IamSam
04-23-2009, 07:39 PM
A lot has changed in the (gasp) nine years since Americana.

Ninty Man
04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Jacknife is 100% right. 250K in a year is something a lot of bands would cut bitches for right now.

I agree that the sales numbers will likely go up while they're on tour, and that gold is a possibility. But I reserve the right to be surprised as fuck when ANYONE goes platinum anymore.

MMM...

AC/DC went double platinum

randman21
04-23-2009, 08:05 PM
A lot has changed in the (gasp) nine years since Americana.
More like 10 or 11, making your point even more valid.

MMM...

AC/DC went double platinum
Yeah, but she didn't say it can't happen. It's just a surprise.

IamSam
04-24-2009, 12:26 AM
More like 10 or 11, making your point even more valid.

Crap. You're right. Conspiracy would be 9. Right?

bouncingcoles
04-24-2009, 07:58 AM

comparing the sales of an album that came out in 2003 and an album that came out in 2008 makes no sense considering how much record sales have declined over the years.

bighead384
04-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Dexter was checking this thread out last night when he was online.

bighead384
05-31-2009, 03:15 PM
So...did the tour and fourth single give the album a boost? Anyone have access to statistics?

Omni
05-31-2009, 03:22 PM
That has been proven wrong right here on this very site by the band itself. Shortly before RFRG came out.

True. The Offspring supported file sharing and claimed it didn't hurt album sales (it didn't) in like 2000, when it took 15 minutes to download a single song. However, these days everyone has cranked up Internet, and can download an entire album for free in like 10 minutes.

It's good for the band as artists, because probably more people than ever hear their music since they can get it for free, but you have to remember this is their job, as well.

EDIT: And to bighead, Nielson SoundScan it like a billion dollar subscription, or I'd look it up myself. I really hope they're at about 250,000, but 225,000 to 235,000 seems most likely.

jacknife737
05-31-2009, 03:30 PM
I think we'll have to wait until near the end of the tour to gage whether or not sales were boosted significantly. It's only a few dates in at the moment.

bighead384
06-01-2009, 04:20 PM
If this album doesn't get to at least 400,000 I'll bet you it sets some sort of record for most successful singles on the least selling album.

Little_Miss_1565
06-01-2009, 06:54 PM
The album has been doing about 2K a week for the last couple months, but "You're Gonna Go Far Kid" has more than 500,000 sales! Kristy and YGGFK are doing about the same each week -- just about 6K.

Bighead -- I've seen bands with 150-200K sold and 1,000,000+ track sales. I know how much everyone <3's drama on these forums, but have some perspective y'all!

bighead384
06-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Bighead -- I've seen bands with 150-200K sold and 1,000,000+ track sales. I know how much everyone <3's drama on these forums, but have some perspective y'all!

What do I care about statistics? I was clearly just trying to start drama. I love irony.

Little_Miss_1565
06-01-2009, 08:49 PM
What do I care about statistics? I was clearly just trying to start drama. I love irony.

LOL. Of course you are the only person I care to address in anything I post.

bighead384
06-01-2009, 10:28 PM
LOL. Of course you are the only person I care to address in anything I post.

I love it. It started as a passive aggressive jab (out of nowhere might I add), and now it's being used against me again! I admire the creativity.

randman21
06-02-2009, 03:36 AM
Heh, I didn't realize that gold for singles was also 500k. I'm genuinely psyched about that.