PDA

View Full Version : Is Rick Rubin a sellout factory?

Cbonham5
01-21-2009, 01:03 PM
I've noticed two recent Rick Rubin produced albums have contained a lot of lighter, poppier music than that particular artist is known for. Kid Rock's Rock n' Roll Jesus album contains the two biggest sell out songs i've ever heard in Roll On and All Summer Long, while Linkin Park's Minutes to Midnight album strays away from their traditional Nu-Metal forte. Both of them let their true selves shine through in songs like So Hot and Given Up...your thoughts?

findout5
01-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Rick Rubin is a shit factory!
He either destroys bands (songwritingwise) or the sonics of their records.
He is the...devil!

coke_a_holic
01-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Well, I liked Deloused In The Comatorium more than any of the other Mars Volta albums... And I thought people here were down with System Of A Down and RHCP and that new Metallica cd?

Btw, the fact that you blame Rick Rubin for making Kid Rock and Linkin Park suck is really just... you know, wrong. They suck in their own right.

JohnnyNemesis
01-21-2009, 01:51 PM
You can't sell out by straying from nu-metal. Nu-metal is where bands go to sell out in the first place.

nieh
01-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Fact: Producers don't make bands write shitty songs.

IamSam
01-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Does Subway sell cheeseburgers?

Exactly.

0r4ng3
01-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Also, any change in a band's sound whatsoever doesn't mean they've sold out. It means they wanted to change their sound.

findout5
01-21-2009, 03:21 PM
May I just point out that in order for a band to sell out, they must have integrity first. LP and KR - that's not the case.

jacknife737
01-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Rubin only works with the biggest bands in the world, so i doubt any of them could possible "sell out" anymore then they already have.

That said, i think producers like Rubin, Bob Rock, ect, get a bad rap. I mean, i don't really care for a lot of their productions (some exceptions obviously, ie RAFAG), but in the end, it's the band that writes the songs. Any dislike over a change in sound, should be blamed squarely on them.