PDA

View Full Version : Demons...strange lyrics?

Steff
01-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi,

a couple of days ago I come across the song "demons", and I was surprised about the lyrics, because most of the other Offspring songs are either funny or deal with stuff like relationships. But this one is very dark.

Does anybody know if there is a reason for this lyrics, because I don't understend the message. Or is it supposed to be funny and there no message at all?

mfg

dff_punk
01-22-2009, 09:51 AM
I actually started a thread about this song a long time ago, you can go through it if you want, maybe you will find something interesting:
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31649

Steff
01-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks a lot. Back then you said you think offspring had some experience with satanism and you refered to "Tehran". Are there any other facts you know about this? Because I'm not sure about this "great satan" thing. Maybe he means bush or somebody else...

jacknife737
01-22-2009, 12:15 PM
The term "Great Satan", is reference to what many Iranian leaders call the United States. I believe it was first used by Khomeini.

Hypodermic_89
01-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Hi,

a couple of days ago I come across the song "demons", and I was surprised about the lyrics, because most of the other Offspring songs are either funny or deal with stuff like relationships. But this one is very dark.

Does anybody know if there is a reason for this lyrics, because I don't understend the message. Or is it supposed to be funny and there no message at all?

mfg
Are you familiar with the classic song "Beheaded"?

findout5
01-22-2009, 01:25 PM
To me the strangest lyrics are on Original Prankster - I still have no idea what the hell it's about!

Budzy
01-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Demons is such an awesome song, it's so underated. And it scares the shit out of me that such a nice funny person like what Dexter seems to be came up with lyrics like those.
Kind of Kinky. :D

Ninty Man
01-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Demons is such an awesome song, it's so underated. And it scares the shit out of me that such a nice funny person like what Dexter seems to be came up with lyrics like those.
Kind of Kinky. :D

MMM... I think that Self titled is a weird album. I mean, is like you put everything that came from punk in the 80's and put it on that album. Is something like misfits-dead kennedys-bad religion- thing

Alex101
01-23-2009, 08:04 AM
MMM... I think that Self titled is a weird album. I mean, is like you put everything that came from punk in the 80's and put it on that album. Is something like misfits-dead kennedys-bad religion- thing
Yeah. Not only weird, but somewhat different than all The Offspring's post-1989 albums.

Rutegard
01-23-2009, 10:08 AM
To me the strangest lyrics are on Original Prankster - I still have no idea what the hell it's about!

good point! and blurb....of course :)

actually it's not just demons...it's the whole album i think

Mark Rooster
01-23-2009, 10:21 AM
I agree about the album containing a lot of typical 80s punk themes. I've always thought this album seemed more heavily influenced by TSOL than by any other single band. I'm not saying they bit off TSOL, but that band's influence seems stronger than any of the other bands that likely influenced the album (Social Distortion, Misfits, Dead Kennedys, etc). And TSOL's early stuff was a nice mix of politics and horror, which is what the Offspring S/T album is.

Blitzkrieg Bop
01-23-2009, 11:58 AM
actually it's not just demons...it's the whole album i think

I agree that the album is different to all their other stuff, but Demons definately has a different feel to it when compared to the rest of the album. The song kinda feels like it doesn't really fit on the album, for I find it darker *not the right word* than the rest. I think the band did a 180 on this song. But still ... great song.

Steff
01-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Are you familiar with the classic song "Beheaded"?

You know I heard the whole album once, and I noticed the strange lyrics of the song. Buth honestly I didn't thought about it.

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
01-24-2009, 10:13 AM
I love the songs, the whole album actually. From that song mary got her nickname "duskygrin". But wtf is that? duskygrin

Smash punker
01-27-2009, 05:43 AM
Me just lovin´ the Self-titled shit, cause I think it´s one of the best of Offy´s discography!!! :D Anyone feels the same? :D

dr.vanessa
01-27-2009, 06:10 AM
most of the other Offspring songs are either funny or deal with stuff like relationships.

no in my opinion that's really not true:o:)

Szandi
01-27-2009, 04:20 PM
demons...I very like that lyrics.

renato piquette
01-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Hi,

mfg

no,dude,probably that`s because you`ve just listened to want you bad and wdygaj