PDA

View Full Version : Listen to Offspring on vinyl!

RageAndLov
01-24-2009, 06:05 AM
Some say that vinyl has a better sound than CDs, and someone has made a scientific experiment of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5dCMz4gKLI&playnext=1&playnext_from=QL

So throw your CDs away and buy Offsprings whole discography on vinyl!

findout5
01-24-2009, 06:37 AM
It sounds particularly better when the album is recorded on analogue - which The Offspring haven't done since Ixnay On The Hombre.

Jojan
01-24-2009, 06:51 AM
I have the full dischography on vinyl. Well, I know I don't have this really expensive red vinyl Nitro S/T: http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Offspring-s-t-Self-titled-LP-Red-Vinyl-Record_W0QQitemZ110325875595QQ. But I think I have pretty much everything else.

Tijs
01-24-2009, 07:08 AM
That one's expensive? Wow I didn't know that. I have it still sealed :)

...so I can only assume the person who sold it to me wasn't lying about the vinyl being red...

Jojan
01-24-2009, 07:47 AM
That one's expensive? Wow I didn't know that. I have it still sealed :)

...so I can only assume the person who sold it to me wasn't lying about the vinyl being red...

haha. Does it have a sticker on it, like the one I linked to?

Tijs
01-24-2009, 07:51 AM
It has the warning sticker and the remainings of another sticker on the same place as the red one.

RageAndLov
01-24-2009, 09:40 AM
It's got Kill The President on it!
I only have Ignition, Smash, Ixnay, Splinter and RAFRAG on vinyl so far, but I intend to buy 'em all one day :)

I'm glad so many are having Offspring records on vinyl!

Blackball_
01-24-2009, 10:01 AM
i buy stuff on vinyl because i like vinyl more than cd. its more exciting. its bigger. the artwork looks cooler. and cds are pointless.

I have the full dischography on vinyl. Well, I know I don't have this really expensive red vinyl Nitro S/T: http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Offspring-s-t-Self-titled-LP-Red-Vinyl-Record_W0QQitemZ110325875595QQ. But I think I have pretty much everything else.

"expensive" is relative. im surprised at you jojan :eek:

it didnt used to be so expensive either.

Jojan
01-24-2009, 10:19 AM
its more exciting. its bigger. the artwork looks cooler. and cds are pointless.

True.

"expensive" is relative. im surprised at you jojan :eek:

Yes. It is relative. At the moment I actually have quite alot of money. Maybe I should get it now.

Cock Joke
01-24-2009, 01:57 PM
no .

Bipolar Bear
01-24-2009, 03:34 PM
cd's ARE pointless with mp3 players and such. At least vinyls provide you with a better sound. They're great.

Blackball_
01-24-2009, 04:15 PM
cd's ARE pointless with mp3 players and such. At least vinyls provide you with a better sound. They're great.

yup.

cds were good for 2 things over vinyl, being smaller (somewhat portable) and being less jumpy (for cars, jogging etc).

those two things were bettered with mp3 players.

there are quite a few smaller indie labels in the UK which are stopping CDs in around 18 months.. all new releases will be vinyl or mp3 only. its a great move. :D

RageAndLov
01-24-2009, 05:26 PM
The only reason I actually are buying CDs anymore is that I want the music onto my MP3 player. I know you can do that with a vinyl record player with a USB plug, but that takes hours of editing. CDs uses only like 3 minuts to come from the CD to the MP3 player.

I think everytime you buy a vinyl, a free CD with the same content should come along. NOFX have recently done that and that's brilliant! I'd buy only vinyl if that would be the case for every record. I know RAFRAG comes along with a free code to download the album, but it only works in the US.

Jojan
01-24-2009, 05:29 PM
I think everytime you buy a vinyl, a free CD with the same content should come along.

Or FLAC download.

I know RAFRAG comes along with a free code to download the album, but it only works in the US.

It worked in Sweden.

jacknife737
01-24-2009, 05:39 PM
CD's aren't useless, even in the age of mp3's. They allow fans of bands, to have a physical product of an album, without wasting money collecting vinyl, and they can also be ripped for an mp3 player, they are essentially the best aspects of both worlds. Furthermore, music ripped from cds is better quality than digital downloads. As well, they can be ripped as many times as you want (ie, don't have to worry about a virus/ computer crash). They play in stereos, ect, ect, ect.

there are quite a few smaller indie labels in the UK which are stopping CDs in around 18 months.. all new releases will be vinyl or mp3 only. its a great move. :D

It's not actually. And i think they're going to see a large loss of revenue. There is a significant portion of those who purchase music, who a) don't collect vinyl, and b) also those who refuse to pay for digital media. Those companies have essentially screwed themselves out of a key source of revenue.

What these small indie labels should be doing is reducing the number of cds printed to only reach the demand for the music; only print say 500-1000 cds if you're a really small band. Vinyl sales are indeed up, but comparatively, they're still just a small portion of the market share, also, it's almost cyclical, since every so often vinyl will see a boost in sales, followed of course by a drop.

Blackball_
01-24-2009, 05:54 PM
The only reason I actually are buying CDs anymore is that I want the music onto my MP3 player. I know you can do that with a vinyl record player with a USB plug, but that takes hours of editing. CDs uses only like 3 minuts to come from the CD to the MP3 player.if you buy the vinyl (or indeed the cd) you can then download the mp3 from the internet, legally, due to the fact you own the cd/vinyl. you are allowed to own one spare copy of everything you own, but atleast in the UK, the law doesnt state that the copy must be in the same format, and how you aquire the copy is irrelevent.

CD's aren't useless, even in the age of mp3's. They allow fans of bands, to have a physical product of an album, without wasting money collecting vinyl, and they can also be ripped for an mp3 player, they are essentially the best aspects of both worlds. Furthermore, music ripped from cds is better quality than digital downloads. As well, they can be ripped as many times as you want (ie, don't have to worry about a virus/ computer crash). They play in stereos, ect, ect, ect.

It's not actually. And i think they're going to see a large loss of revenue. There is a significant portion of those who purchase music, who a) don't collect vinyl, and b) also those who refuse to pay for digital media. Those companies have essentially screwed themselves out of a key source of revenue.

What these small indie labels should be doing is reducing the number of cds printed to only reach the demand for the music; only print say 500-1000 cds if you're a really small band. Vinyl sales are indeed up, but comparatively, they're still just a small portion of the market share, also, it's almost cyclical, since every so often vinyl will see a boost in sales, followed of course by a drop.

cds arent the best of both, theyre the worst of both! they CAN still jump, and even the smallest cd walkmen would never fit into a pocket comfortably. mp3 player nails it both times.

wasting money collecting vinyl? what about collecting cds? its the same thing. the vinyl rarely costs more to buy than the cd, plus it has much more jollies. any decent stereo will have ample connections for a turntable anyway.

yes, if any old label stopped making cds, your other point would be valid (for a few years more at least). these are small(ish) indie labels.. its a huge generalisation but these types of labels see more collector nerds than bigger labels (like epitaph). ive seen a lot of their numbers, and they are in no way cutting into profits, i can assure you. printing less cds is a great idea for these places, but the small amount of cds they sell doesnt make them anything like the profits vinyl does.

cds should die already.

RageAndLov
01-24-2009, 06:36 PM
if you buy the vinyl (or indeed the cd) you can then download the mp3 from the internet, legally, due to the fact you own the cd/vinyl. you are allowed to own one spare copy of everything you own, but atleast in the UK, the law doesnt state that the copy must be in the same format, and how you aquire the copy is irrelevent.

Yeah, the same goes for games, you are allowed to ahve one copy, and therefore it's legal to download emulators and ROMs. But the problem is that the quality of the downloaded music may not be as good as the cd. Plus it doesn't cost much to put an extra cd in the vinyl package :)

cds should die already.

I like CDs, they shouldn't die. There is alot more CDs than vinyls in the world, and it would be a shame for everyone with CD players to not be able to buy new music. Why can't both medium excist, then everyone is satisfied? :D

jacknife737
01-25-2009, 12:06 AM
wasting money collecting vinyl? what about collecting cds? its the same thing. the vinyl rarely costs more to buy than the cd, plus it has much more jollies. any decent stereo will have ample connections for a turntable anyway.

Not a lot of people want to switch collecting to vinyl; if it comes to it, they're just going to stop paying for music. It is a significant cost (ie, replacing your entire cd collection with vinyl); people just aren't into vinyl, outside of small niche markets. I've often thought about switching to vinyl, but the cost would be way to high; the day they stop making cds is the day i stop paying for music. The fact is, is that cds give those of us who want to support artists/ lables a way to do so, by giving us both a digital copy of the band's music, and something physical.

yes, if any old label stopped making cds, your other point would be valid (for a few years more at least). these are small(ish) indie labels.. its a huge generalisation but these types of labels see more collector nerds than bigger labels (like epitaph). ive seen a lot of their numbers, and they are in no way cutting into profits, i can assure you. printing less cds is a great idea for these places, but the small amount of cds they sell doesnt make them anything like the profits vinyl does.

cds should die already.

And again, there are still people who want to buy cds; even on smaller indie labels they are essentially cutting that source of revenue off; it's not a smart business plan. Vinyl collecting is a niche market, yes it has lots of enthusiastic members, but if you look at overall sales, vinyl is no where near the amount of cd sales. These small lables are essentially quickening their own deaths. The very small group of enthusiastic vinyl collectors won't be enough to keep these labels profitable; and in a few months, we'll see that this is true. The real solution is to put albums out on multi formats (vinyl, digital, cd) and to maximize profits, pissing off those who won't follow their business plan, isn't helping anyone.

RageAndLov
01-25-2009, 07:00 AM
Not a lot of people want to switch collecting to vinyl; if it comes to it, they're just going to stop paying for music. It is a significant cost (ie, replacing your entire cd collection with vinyl); people just aren't into vinyl, outside of small niche markets. I've often thought about switching to vinyl, but the cost would be way to high; the day they stop making cds is the day i stop paying for music. The fact is, is that cds give those of us who want to support artists/ lables a way to do so, by giving us both a digital copy of the band's music, and something physical.

And again, there are still people who want to buy cds; even on smaller indie labels they are essentially cutting that source of revenue off; it's not a smart business plan. Vinyl collecting is a niche market, yes it has lots of enthusiastic members, but if you look at overall sales, vinyl is no where near the amount of cd sales. These small lables are essentially quickening their own deaths. The very small group of enthusiastic vinyl collectors won't be enough to keep these labels profitable; and in a few months, we'll see that this is true. The real solution is to put albums out on multi formats (vinyl, digital, cd) and to maximize profits, pissing off those who won't follow their business plan, isn't helping anyone.

I agree with everything you said. You are absolutely right.

RageAndLov
01-25-2009, 07:01 AM
It worked in Sweden.

Gotta check that out.

the Mota Boy
01-25-2009, 09:01 AM

I have to agree with jacknife. By all means if you have the money then buy vinyl. I think they're fun too. But there are still a lot of people out there that buy CDs. They're cheaper and they can still satisfy a lot of the little emotional details that come from buying a hard copy of your music. Even if CDs are down, vinyls even smaller. How would all you audiophiles have liked it if companies had stopped making vinyl all together? So don't wish the same on CDs.

Dragnet
01-25-2009, 09:31 AM
It sounds particularly better when the album is recorded on analogue - which The Offspring haven't done since Ixnay On The Hombre.

Why do you know which albums were recorder in what way? Is there any side where I could read about it?

Oxygene
01-25-2009, 10:25 AM
I can't read all this
Vinyl: better quality for the frist 50-60 plays than CDs unless you use like a digital laser vinyl player which I've heard of which costs like $10 000

Copyright laws are different all over the world, but if you have purchased the music in question, you may for personal use own it and copy in into any format you please, as long as it is "reasonable" and not for commercial or distributino. That is pretty much a rule of thumb.

jacknife737
01-25-2009, 12:38 PM
I have to agree with jacknife. By all means if you have the money then buy vinyl. I think they're fun too. But there are still a lot of people out there that buy CDs. They're cheaper and they can still satisfy a lot of the little emotional details that come from buying a hard copy of your music. Even if CDs are down, vinyls even smaller. How would all you audiophiles have liked it if companies had stopped making vinyl all together? So don't wish the same on CDs.

Exactly.

I'm not trying to be "anti-vinyl"; i actually think it's a pretty cool format. I just like cds.

Jesus
01-25-2009, 12:46 PM
What these small indie labels should be doing is reducing the number of cds printed to only reach the demand for the music; only print say 500-1000 cds if you're a really small band.

You're assuming the average costs of making 500 cds is the same as making 5000 cds... costs tend to go down when certain items are made in bulk. So depending on costs it might be profitable to sell 4000 cds (out of 5000 made) at current prices, but they might make a loss if they sell 400 (out of 500 printed) at current prices.

MoonTan™
01-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Vinyls are alot better than CD's, Yesterday i heard the self titled album for the first time,
mind you it was the re-release with kill the president on it.

Has a much warmer sound.

BTW my mate's brother got that record for $5 at some record store.

RageAndLov
01-26-2009, 06:20 AM
Vinyls are alot better than CD's, Yesterday i heard the self titled album for the first time,
mind you it was the re-release with kill the president on it.

Has a much warmer sound.

BTW my mate's brother got that record for $5 at some record store.

I want S/T on vinyl!

Jojan
01-26-2009, 10:52 AM
I want S/T on vinyl!

I have original, Nemisis only, and Nitro version.

Should a complete collection contain Nemisis/Cargo release?

i_am_the_bishop
01-26-2009, 11:48 AM
i think it should be included!
i have it on nemesis, nemesis/cargo, nitro black and nitro red he he he :)

i love collecting vinyl but i like cds too for the convenience!

RODNEYMULLEN
01-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Or FLAC download.

Whats the difference between flac and regular wavs. They're both lossless audio. They both are 1411kbps. So whats the difference?

Jojan
01-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Whats the difference between flac and regular wavs. They're both lossless audio. They both are 1411kbps. So whats the difference?

FLAC is a free (Free Lossless Audio Codec) under the GNU General Public License. You can then freely use the format for your own purpose and make own implementations whithout asking for permissions.

The only you're forced to is that your use must be licensed under the GPL too. A big advantage of that over WAV is that WAV can contain digital rights management. FALC can in theory contain DRM, but since it's open source it probably won't. That would be like shooting yourself in the foot.

FLAC is also, from what I've read, more efficient and have smaller files.

From FLACs own website, http://flac.sourceforge.net/ :

Many lossless comparisons look at only compression ratio and speed. FLAC decoding is the fastest among lossless codecs and it has the fastest encoding mode. FLAC's compression is within 3% of even the most complex codecs. Note that the compression ratios of all lossless codecs fall in a quite narrow range; the difference between the very best and very worst is only around 7%, and only 4% for the practical codecs.

When you Google "flac vs wav" you mostly get forum discussions about the subject. Look on Wikipedia and try it out yourself.

Oxygene
01-28-2009, 04:39 AM
Apple lossless

end of story

RageAndLov
01-30-2009, 03:59 PM
i_am_the_bishop and Jojan, you are both so lucky!

renato piquette
01-30-2009, 06:17 PM
dammit,i only have on vinyl co1 and rafrag,i have stuff from other artists anyways....