PDA

View Full Version : Rise & Fall reviewed

postwar
01-29-2009, 01:05 AM
Just reviewed the new album. Check it out at:

And leave a few comments while you are there.

Hypodermic_89
01-29-2009, 03:05 AM
Album's been out for like seven months, we don't really care about random people's reviews anymore. Atleast I don't.

Also the link doesn't work.

Rutegard
01-29-2009, 05:25 AM
yeah it dosen't work for me either..

Tijs
01-29-2009, 05:39 AM
Sorry, but that blog want to redirect us to another website. How can we know it's a safe website?

Please post your review here, I removed the link from your post.

Hypodermic_89
01-29-2009, 05:52 AM
I removed the link from your post.
PWNage.

lol 10 char.

bighead384
01-29-2009, 12:21 PM
I read the review last night. It was a fairly solid review. Then I scrolled down to see that he reviewed the latest Staind album and gave it a 9/10. Unless Staind COMPLETELY reinvented themselves, I can't trust this guy's taste in music. And that first single "Believe" is fucking HORRIBLE. There's a few songs I passionately hate, and that's one of them.

postwar
01-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Well now you can go directly to the blogger link, no re-direction

postwar-reviews.blogspot.com

postwar
06-02-2009, 01:53 PM
And here's the review:

First the disappointments- The Offspring of old who reveled in snide, bratty but witty songs are on the wane (except on the juvenile but funny Stuff is Messed Up). Instead I heard a few different bands- one dealing with straight up (and sombre) punk/thrash in Hammerhead and Trust In You; Goo Goo Dolls rock in Fix You and Kristy, Are You Doing Ok? and mainstream pop punk in Nothingtown and Let's Hear it for Rock Bottom. Ok, so maybe apart from the sappy stuff, things are pretty solid; however, what really was disconcerting were the South California punk stalwarts sounding like a Green Day cover band on Fix You & Rise & Fall (which sound like When September Ends and American Idiot, respectively).

Conversely, changing their music to a more mainstream format (although one might argue that they have always been mainstream) might not be that bad. Almost every song has a very strong hook and a couple of them have the requisite punk drumming that sound more like tom-toms, quick riffing (reminiscent of Metallica) and scathing lyrics in the vein of "I look in your face and spit in your eye" (Trust in You) and "And you can all hide behind your desks now! And you can cry 'teacher come help me!' Through you all, my aim's true!" (Hammerhead). Also, Dexter Holland continues singing in his now familiar whine while Noodles throws out spitfire quick solos once in a while along with Greg K. Sessions drummer Josh Freese (who has worked with extensively with Wind-Up artists like 12 Stones and Evanescence and with The Offspring previously) doesn't let the departure of Ron Welty affect the music.

In the end, Rise & Fall..., is a solid album that highlights the strong points of The Offspring's style of music. However, although it is a better album than Splinter, it could have been much better with a lot less flab and more ambition. Time for a Punk Rock Opera?

My Picks- Hammerhead, Trust in You, You're Gonna Go Far Kid, Stuff is Messed Up

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
06-02-2009, 03:01 PM
and mainstream pop punk in Nothingtown and Let's Hear it for Rock Bottom. Ok, so maybe apart from the sappy stuff,
they're not sappy. and let's hear it for rock bottom is not pop punk. it's kinda generic with some ska in it

let's hear it for rock bottom used to have a metal riff but dexter didn't feel like using that

Outerspaceman21
06-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Heres my reveiw I posted a long while ago

http://outerspaceman21.blogspot.com/2008/11/rise-and-fall-rage-and-grace-review.html

Free?
06-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Time for a Punk Rock Opera?

Fuck no, fuuuuck noooo!! Are you totally nuts? First of all, Green Day is boring, repetitive and annoying because they chose to do a rock opera album. Two of them. Second, why the hell should Offspring do the same?! That idea is so horrible in so many ways to me. Other than that - quite solid review.