Duskygrin
01-30-2009, 01:44 PM
. .

IamSam
01-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Asian cultures eat dog all the time.

IamSam
01-30-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm not an idiot. True, what he did was wrong and he should be punished, but I think the whole thing of going against dog as food is kinda out there. Kind of a 'don't knock it until you've tried it,' that is unless you've had dog.

WebDudette
01-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Meh, if someone labeled dog on a menu I would probably try it. It is kind of shitty that he mislabeled and sold it as beef. Not sure it is worth 6 years though.

Also, in a lot of cases vegetarians eat a lot more meat then they think

zsk
01-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Restaurant owner just got 6 years for selling DOG to his customers while they were labouring under the misapprehension they were served BEEF.

Sadistic motherfucker. Not ONE day behind bars that he won't fully deserve. And God, I hate to think he can't be the only one. Also, one more reason to start out on a vegetarian diet for life out of sheer paranoia.

Haha dog:D
i would like to eat a horse:D

_Lost_
01-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Also, in a lot of cases vegetarians eat a lot more meat then they think

Don't I know it. ;)

Maria, what IamSam is saying is TOTALLY going right over your head. You're so ready to assume that everyone is just trying to be an ass that you completely missed the point he was trying to make.

And, how the fuck does "they eat dog in asia" translate to "french eat snails so what are you pissing about"??

JohnnyNemesis
01-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Ooooh, I see where you're driving at. "After all, those Frenchies eat snails and frogs, don't they?"

Where the fuck did this come from?

Maria, for once no one is harassing you or messing with you. Please just enjoy it and stop making drama where there is none.

Anyway, back on topic, I would say that it doesn't matter that dog is eaten in other countries; if customers order beef, they should be eating some fucking beef, and nothing else! Dude is sick and deserves the time behind bars.

SweetTatyana
01-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah that is disgusting, I am happy he's going to jail.

WebDudette
01-30-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm really not all that concerned about eating dog. Personally I would probably be almost as disappointed if I found out he was feeding me chicken and not the beef I ordered.

IamSam
01-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Where the fuck did this come from?

Maria, for once no one is harassing you or messing with you. Please just enjoy it and stop making drama where there is none.

Anyway, back on topic, I would say that it doesn't matter that dog is eaten in other countries; if customers order beef, they should be eating some fucking beef, and nothing else! Dude is sick and deserves the time behind bars.

This.

And what I meant is that if you haven't tried it don't get all upset about it. I agree that he shouldn't have done that and needs punished, but I for one would venture out and try dog. I've tried other meats, so why not dog? There was no insulting French people, although wouldn't that be a stretch because you're Greek?

Bipolar Bear
01-30-2009, 04:21 PM
A store owner replaced his beef with human flesh BUT I heard there was a cannibalistic tribe in Africa which used to eat humans. Irrelevant.

Regardless of whether it's gross to eat dogs or not, he shouldn't lie about what he's selling. It's up to the customer to decide what they eat, and I can see why many people are disgusted at eating dogs. It's their choice, so he has no right to feed them that and pretend it's something else.

WebDudette
01-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Right, but if he replaced the beef with tofu, turkey, or something acceptable I don't think it would be a big deal.

Though it is possible that his sentence has something to do with the legality of killing and serving dogs.

Bipolar Bear
01-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Right, but if he replaced the beef with tofu, turkey, or something acceptable I don't think it would be a big deal.

Though it is possible that his sentence has something to do with the legality of killing and serving dogs.

Yeah, replacing it with something that offends the customer [i.e., replacing it with pork for a jewish customer] leads to there being a bigger deal made out of things.

I hadn't considered that serving dogs was illegal in itself. Would a place which actually labeled the dog meat "dog" be allowed to sell it? If not, can this be considered a stupid law? After all, pigs are said to be nearly as intelligent as dogs and yet we eat them.

T-6005
01-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Food industry standard violations.

That's worth 6 years on its own.

WebDudette
01-30-2009, 04:31 PM
L O L @ cannibalism.

I betcha human flesh is tasty, though...

Pilz-E, go try and fool customers who've ordered beef into eating TOFU. Seriously. Enough of this outrage, now, please.

You'd be surprised... tofu will taste like whatever you want it to taste like.

killer_queen
01-30-2009, 04:39 PM
But why, why someone would do such a thing? I'm pretty sure dog meat doesn't cost less than the meat of cow or another animal. And if he did it for fun because he was a sadistic bastard why didn't he use something like mad cow meat or something like that?

JohnnyNemesis
01-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Tofu on its own is tasteless, and it's supposed to be. It's made to taste like whatever you want depending on how you choose to prepare it; it's lke an empty canvas or untouched mold.

WebDudette
01-30-2009, 04:43 PM
I want to clarify that I think the guy should be punished and should not be able to work in the food industry again. I just don't think dog is a huge deal and 6 years seems like a long time.

nieh
01-30-2009, 04:46 PM
But why, why someone would do such a thing? I'm pretty sure dog meat doesn't cost less than the meat of cow or another animal. And if he did it for fun because he was a sadistic bastard why didn't he use something like mad cow meat or something like that?

She said he had people track dogs down and kill them, so I'm assuming the dog meat was basically free.

p.s. welcome back.

JohnnyNemesis
01-30-2009, 04:53 PM
You're welcome!

And I agree, this is fucking sadistic. It's not like the dude imported cheap dog meat to cut corners (which would be awful in itself), but he actually had his people hunt and slaughter them. Yuck x 1000.

_Lost_
01-30-2009, 04:53 PM
You'd be surprised... tofu will taste like whatever you want it to taste like.

Tofu on its own is tasteless, and it's supposed to be. It's made to taste like whatever you want depending on how you choose to prepare it; it's lke an empty canvas or untouched mold.

There's this fake chicken sandwich that my sister likes to buy and I'll be damned if I could tell the difference between it and a chicken fillet sandwich.

That would be the main reason for his being sentenced. Its a violation of animal cruelty laws to kill and eat a dog. (I know, makes sense right?) Such violations are pretty much an automatic 6 years. There was a guy on one of the animal cop shows on Animal Planet that got 6 years for breeding and killing dogs for his own consumption. I don't think he knew it was illegal. He was an immigrant from a canine consuming nation, but ignorance of the law is not exactly a valid argument. If it were pig or something instead, he might've just lost his permit to have a restaurant and been sued by the customers who ate it. Now he gets the pleasure of having violated a pretty serious law and being sued.

I'm also incredibly biased in the dog's favor since mine is basically an extension of me.

Budzy
01-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Too bad my dog died two months ago cos I'm fucking hungry.

Bipolar Bear
01-30-2009, 08:53 PM
6 years is way too much for such a crime..
Who cares about a dog dying seriously, as I've said before, pigs are basically equal in terms of intelligence to dogs and we eat them.

The more serious part of the crime is selling the food and pretending it's something else.

IamSam
01-30-2009, 09:04 PM
The more serious part of the crime is selling the food and pretending it's something else.

I'd think that this is more of a reason as to why it would be such a long sentence. But then again, I agree with you. Vick gets 1 year and this guy gets 6...it wouldn't be right.

Mota Boy
01-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Sadistic motherfucker. Not ONE day behind bars that he won't fully deserve. And God, I hate to think he can't be the only one. Also, one more reason to start out on a vegetarian diet for life out of sheer paranoia.I ate dog once. I've only had it on a stick, and I only learned what it was after I bought it. And it was in the middle of an outdoor market, where the seller began saying something in a thick dialect and gesturing behind me towards one of the areas where they were selling pets. I didn't really want to inquire any further (though I had not seen any dogs for sale, only smaller animals like birds and turtles and beetles). It was delicious.

Six years seems like a lot. And come to think of it, if we were a totally practical culture, rather than merely gassing strays we'd kill 'em and give their meat to the poor. Not promoting the idea, just tossing it out there. Supposedly in Beijing there was a steamed bun proprietor who was cooking industrial cardboard in chemicals and pork fat and selling it to customers. Mmm-mmm good.

Jebus
01-30-2009, 09:30 PM
As much as I love dogs, I would totally want to try dog meat. I don't think I've ever eaten any meat more exotic than duck.

Supposedly in Beijing there was a steamed bun proprietor who was cooking industrial cardboard in chemicals and pork fat and selling it to customers. Mmm-mmm good.
That story was ended up being a hoax. Guy who did it was fired I think.

PS: Gulsah!

Mota Boy
01-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Yes yes, the story ended up being a hoax, but it was called out as a hoax by the government, just a few months before thousands of foreign journalists flooded into Beijing as the world spotlight swung to the city.

The Chinese didn't entirely trust the "hoax" story. I prefaced the story with "supposedly" because it had been called out, but I trust the Chinese government even less than I trust the Chinese media, particularly when the government has a clear motivation to suppress such a story.

Omni
01-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Are dog meat and cow meat really that hard to tell apart? If I had dined at a restaurant for six years and I couldn't tell the difference, then what the fuck ever, cook me up a dalmation and be done with it.

_Lost_
01-30-2009, 10:34 PM
And come to think of it, if we were a totally practical culture, rather than merely gassing strays we'd kill 'em and give their meat to the poor.

Theres nothing like the stringy meat of a half starved, diseased mutt. I think here in the states, most euthanizations(sp?) are done only if the animal is ill or dangerous. The shelter in my area is that way.

Mota Boy
01-30-2009, 11:02 PM
There are a few no-kill shelters out there, which may only euthanize animals that "need" to be put down, but the vast majority will euthanize animals if nobody picks them up after a given period of time, often a week. There's just not enough space.

Spay and neuter your pets. (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080303183547AAR4KRx)