PDA

View Full Version : Let's Cover Each Other's Songs

T-6005
01-31-2009, 07:46 PM
So I love how busy the Your Band forum is. If I could, I'd have it even more busy. It almost depresses me how good some of the music is, too - it makes me feel like less of a unique snowflake when so many people put out such great stuff.

In any case, I've been thinking that we could have a group of us all covering each other's songs.

Is there a board member's song you wish you'd written? Cover it. Obviously, things like chords would have to be provided, and if you covered a lady's song and you are high-range challenged, you'd have to adapt it a bit, but I still think it could be a fun idea.

Question's how to do it - should the artists themselves say "someone can cover this song but not this one?" Or should members choose what songs they want and then ask the artist for the chords?

OR waitforit

Everyone who joins this idea submits a song and its tab/lyric complement, and randomly(ish) gets paired up with someone else. No one knows who's covering their songs, just who's song they're covering. Then after a week or two, it's the grand unveiling!

It could be Tribute To the Offspring BBS's Your Band Section by The Offspring BBS's Your Band Section!

EDIT - Here's what we've got going so far.

ad8 has Homer's Secrets.

Lost is doing Big As Life.

T-6005 is doing Lost's I See.

Homer is doing Mature.

Randman is torn between Mature.

llamas is hitting up coke_a_holic's Green Eyes.

Static_Martyr
01-31-2009, 09:05 PM
I'd be fine if anyone wanted to cover anything my band has done~ Although there aren't really many "tabs" to speak of; most of the solos are improvised and the keyboard parts are pretty obvious if you play keyboards or guitar. Lyrics are in the band topic for the most part (although I could provide any that aren't up there by request).

I'd actually be interested in hearing someone else do a different version of one of our songs....if nothing else it would certainly be flattering :D

T-6005
01-31-2009, 09:18 PM
I'd be fine if anyone wanted to cover anything my band has done~ Although there aren't really many "tabs" to speak of; most of the solos are improvised and the keyboard parts are pretty obvious if you play keyboards or guitar. Lyrics are in the band topic for the most part (although I could provide any that aren't up there by request).

I'd actually be interested in hearing someone else do a different version of one of our songs....if nothing else it would certainly be flattering :D

That's what I'm saying.

Earlier today I realized I wanted to sound like Homer. And Randman. And your guys. And Lost and llamas and pretty much everyone that hangs out in here, but we all bring our own things. So what would happen if we switched and played songs that someone else has written?

I have to admit to being extremely excited about this idea, and will be so disappointed if no one reflects this excitement.

Static_Martyr
01-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Well, I think the idea has a lot of potential. The only problem for me would be that I haven't heard much of what everyone else has contributed here, outside of the RAFRAG project....but once I'm familiar with the material, I could try and do a weird cover of it, maybe twist the genre or something~

Llamas
01-31-2009, 10:15 PM
I think this is a cool idea, and I would be okay if someone wanted to do one of my songs, but I don't think I'll be making much music in the next few months due to lack of time. It'd be really fun to take a twist on some of the music I've heard on here... but I just don't see it likely that I'd finish anything before summer.

T-6005
01-31-2009, 10:18 PM
That's the idea. To be honest, I've already got my eyes on Lost's I See track or that Beach Boysy one by Randman.

It was either proposing this or the BBS rap album, where each member gave in a track and a theme and other members wrote and recorded their raps.

I'm pretty sure that one would have been funnier in a pathetic way.

_Lost_
01-31-2009, 10:59 PM
That's the idea. To be honest, I've already got my eyes on Lost's I See track or that Beach Boysy one by Randman.

It was either proposing this or the BBS rap album, where each member gave in a track and a theme and other members wrote and recorded their raps.

I'm pretty sure that one would have been funnier in a pathetic way.

I'm totally flattered.

And OMG! It'll be the Paptown Playas all over again!

ad8
02-01-2009, 01:46 AM
So I love how busy the Your Band forum is. If I could, I'd have it even more busier. It almost depresses me how good some of the music is, too - it makes me feel like less of a unique snowflake when so many people put out such great stuff.

In any case, I've been thinking that we could have a group of us all covering each other's songs.

Is there a board member's song you wish you'd written? Cover it. Obviously, things like chords would have to be provided, and if you covered a lady's song and you are high-range challenged, you'd have to adapt it a bit, but I still think it could be a fun idea.

Question's how to do it - should the artists themselves say "someone can cover this song but not this one?" Or should members choose what songs they want and then ask the artist for the chords?

OR waitforit

Everyone who joins this idea submits a song and its tab/lyric complement, and randomly(ish) gets paired up with someone else. No one knows who's covering their songs, just who's song they're covering. Then after a week or two, it's the grand unveiling!

It could be Tribute To the Offspring BBS's Your Band Section by The Offspring BBS's Your Band Section!
First of all, I love the idea. I'd like to participate for sure. I'd suggest that those who take part choose a song and then ask the artist who wrote it if it's ok to cover it.

Well, I think the idea has a lot of potential. The only problem for me would be that I haven't heard much of what everyone else has contributed here, outside of the RAFRAG project....
Umm... [ad mode]check these guys... they're really good:
http://myspace.com/ricetigers :D[/ad mode]
...:rolleyes:

T-6005
02-01-2009, 02:04 AM
First of all, I love the idea. I'd like to participate for sure. I'd suggest that those who take part choose a song and then ask the artist who wrote it if it's ok to cover it.

Here's my thing - I'd like everyone who participates to get a song of theirs covered, so even if say 2 people have written the top 3 songs on the forums, we get a cover of each person so no one feels left out and hurt.

That's why I was thinking everyone would sign up to get a song of theirs covered, then it would be mixed up (unless everyone had a clearly-stated preference that went perfectly) and we'd all get to cover others' songs.

coke_a_holic
02-01-2009, 02:19 AM
I'm totally in on this. I want to butcher someone's music and I want to hear my songs butchered in return.

Also, a rap album would be so sick. Maybe I'll just cover their song AS a rap song.

WebDudette
02-01-2009, 02:32 AM
I think it is a fantastic idea. Unfortunately, I have no musical background to speak of. But still, interested in seeing how it turns out.

ad8
02-01-2009, 03:04 AM
Here's my thing - I'd like everyone who participates to get a song of theirs covered, so even if say 2 people have written the top 3 songs on the forums, we get a cover of each person so no one feels left out and hurt.

That's why I was thinking everyone would sign up to get a song of theirs covered, then it would be mixed up (unless everyone had a clearly-stated preference that went perfectly) and we'd all get to cover others' songs.

All right, I get it now.

Edit: Homer, what's your opinion on this? 'Cause I'd love to cover Secrets;)

Free?
02-01-2009, 03:47 AM
Great, great idea.

randman21
02-01-2009, 05:14 AM
I'm in lust with this idea. My eyes lit up when I read the thread title. And thanks for the luv, Thib. No problem if you--or anyone--want to cover it. I'm so confused on how the process will work , though (lack of sleep). Do I say what song I want to cover? Although it would be right in my comfort zone, I wanna take a stab at Ricetiger's "Mature" (No tabs needed; I've been practicing :D). I also had my eye on The Way it Used to Be and I See. I'd willingly give those up if anyone wanted them, though.

ad8
02-01-2009, 05:30 AM
Although it would be right in my comfort zone, I wanna take a stab at Ricetiger's "Mature" (No tabs needed; I've been practicing :D)
That's kind of a double honor for me:D

By the way: I just finished my first cover (Secrets by Against Belief). Homer, am I allowed to upload it?

I think the next song is going to be a Fisticuffs cover, but I don't know if I'll pick 51st In Line or Wavering.
I'd love to cover some Static Martyr as well, but I think I need tabs/chords for their songs since I can't figure out the guitar parts.

darea
02-01-2009, 05:40 AM
I'm in lust with this idea. My eyes lit up when I read the thread title. And thanks for the luv, Thib. No problem if you--or anyone--want to cover it. I'm so confused on how the process will work , though (lack of sleep). Do I say what song I want to cover? Although it would be right in my comfort zone, I wanna take a stab at Ricetiger's "Mature" (No tabs needed; I've been practicing :D). I also had my eye on The Way it Used to Be and I See. I'd willingly give those up if anyone wanted them, though.

Hehe I was waiting to see what you thought about this! I'd also want to hear what you sound like singing "I see" or "Nothing in this world". Can't say any of the other artists songs cause I haven't listened to any other...:o

And I'd also be interested in hearing Karin or anyone recording Randy's stuff! whatever, might be cool.

and Ad8, I'd be interested to hear a cover of wavering!

Superdope
02-01-2009, 06:15 AM
I want in on this amazing idea. I'm seriously getting all excited right now!

_Lost_
02-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Hey Randy, you wouldn't happen to still have the drum track for Big as Life would you?

EDIT: I can't decide between Big As Life or Fifty-First In Line... I think Big As Life, because I see that somebody already wants the other.

EDIT: How on earth did I end up with three versions of Fifty-First In Line??? Its really confusing when one of the earlier mixes comes on cause they are missing things... I think I may have to remove them just to save my sanity. :p

drummerbecca
02-01-2009, 09:59 AM
I'd love to give something like this a go but I don't have any of my own songs for anyone else to sing :(

Edit - If I can try something without having to submit a song for someone else, I get dibs on Randy's *do not watch this youtube video* song :p

Llamas
02-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I thought about this some more, and I'd really like to try playing Mike's "Green Eyes", if that's cool with him. And if I have time.

Static_Martyr
02-01-2009, 12:05 PM
I'd love to cover some Static Martyr as well, but I think I need tabs/chords for their songs since I can't figure out the guitar parts.

If you decide you want to do some SM or GANM, just drop me a PM with the titles you need and I'll try and tab them out for ya when I have an hour or two free :D Most of them are easy (just power chords, except for solos), with the exception of the hardcore ones (barre chords, Ramones style).

T-6005
02-01-2009, 12:55 PM
We should probably lock down some songs so there aren't too many overlaps.

ad8 has Homer's Secrets.

I'd like to do Lost's I See, unless randman21 really wants it.

Randman is torn between I See, Mature, or The Way It Used to Be.

So if that works so far, keep signing up! And unless someone else REALLY wants it, Lost, could you send me the chords and lyrics for I See?

_Lost_
02-01-2009, 01:00 PM
I'll send 'em to you in a bit. Put me down for Big As Life. I've got to relisten to everyone else's stuff including yours to see what else I might be interested in doing.

Free?
02-01-2009, 01:20 PM
We should probably lock down some songs so there aren't too many overlaps.

ad8 has Homer's Secrets.

I'd like to do Lost's I See, unless randman21 really wants it.

Randman is torn between I See, Mature, or The Way It Used to Be.

So if that works so far, keep signing up! And unless someone else REALLY wants it, Lost, could you send me the chords and lyrics for I See?

I suggest you to post a list of who's covering who in the first post of this thread and update it. Like we did in rafrag covering thread.

Rooster
02-01-2009, 01:25 PM
This is a good idea. Unfortunately i'm a bit busy right now with studying for an exam and also practicing songs for my own band. I might participate when i have more time.

Llamas
02-01-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about making sure everyone who covers a song gets one of their songs covered.

When I first saw this thread, I felt kinda sad because I knew nobody would want to cover one of my songs. But then I thought about it, and if nobody wants to cover a song from someone, it's not going to sound good or well done anyway if they "have to" do it. It might not be good to make sure everyone who covers a song gets one of their songs covered.

Then again, I don't know if I want to hear three covers of the same song, either... I don't know.

edit: I'm not actually sure if I wanna do Green Eyes, or Sleep is for the Rich. Also, can we team up on a song? Coneman and I might wanna cover a song together... does that count?

T-6005
02-01-2009, 02:33 PM
It's an open project. I'm not making any rules to really stick to - I just don't like the idea of 8 covers of the same song floating around.

Cover it however you want. That's what makes this great.

_Lost_
02-01-2009, 02:45 PM
i don't think it matters what songs get covered, just that there is only like one per song, unless they are very very different takes on the song.

Homer
02-01-2009, 03:26 PM
By the way: I just finished my first cover (Secrets by Against Belief). Homer, am I allowed to upload it?

Shit, that was quick! Upload, upload, UPLOAD!

Seriously, though. If anyone wants to cover my music, go right ahead! Don't bother asking me, and I'll even give you tabs! In fact, I'll get a tab for Secrets up in the very near future.

randman21
02-01-2009, 04:38 PM
T, you can go right ahead with I See. I will stick with Mature.

Hey Randy, you wouldn't happen to still have the drum track for Big as Life would you?

I do. In fact, I just made a new, nicer one. Haha, and if you have three versions of 51st, that's amazing, seeing as I thought I only made two.:p

Edit - If I can try something without having to submit a song for someone else, I get dibs on Randy's *do not watch this youtube video* song :p
rofl, if the song were complete, I'd give you the green light. I'll give you yellow, though: proceed with caution :P

_Lost_
02-01-2009, 05:31 PM
apparently there were three.

ad8
02-02-2009, 01:27 AM
All right, here's the first cover:
http://rapidshare.com/files/192811313/Secrets__Against_Belief_Cover_.mp3

Edit: I would start Fifty-First In Line now if there's no one else who'd like to do it. If there was someone who'd like to do this, I could cover Wavering.

T-6005
02-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Wow, that was fast.

I'm still just trying to get a feel for Lost's song. I'm days away from a full cover.

drummerbecca
02-02-2009, 01:50 PM
rofl, if the song were complete, I'd give you the green light. I'll give you yellow, though: proceed with caution :P

I'll take it with the yellow light then. No harm in giving it a go. Can I have lyrics please? :)

coke_a_holic
02-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Brianna: If you can't figure out/don't feel like figuring out either song by ear (which I'm pretty much positive you'd be able to), I'd be happy to provide tablature and/or sheet music for any of the parts on Sleep Is For The Rich or Green Eyes; I'm pretty excited to hear how you'd do either song, actually.

I haven't picked what song I want to cover yet, but I have a couple ideas. Possibly Body Count by Against Belief or maybe one of T's or Brianna's songs.

I want to take something fairly challenging and turn it into something completely different, basically.

_Lost_
02-02-2009, 02:40 PM
I've been playing with Big As Life today. Its gonna be cool. I'm having fun just trying to learn it the way he does it so I can change it to fit how i want to do it.

I need the lyrics btw Randy. I know most of them but I can't understand everything you say.

Llamas
02-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Brianna: If you can't figure out/don't feel like figuring out either song by ear (which I'm pretty much positive you'd be able to), I'd be happy to provide tablature and/or sheet music for any of the parts on Sleep Is For The Rich or Green Eyes; I'm pretty excited to hear how you'd do either song, actually.

I haven't picked what song I want to cover yet, but I have a couple ideas. Possibly Body Count by Against Belief or maybe one of T's or Brianna's songs.

I want to take something fairly challenging and turn it into something completely different, basically.

I'll definitely let you know if they'd come in handy. Chances are, it can't hurt.

And if you did end up going with one of mine, I'd be equally as excited to hear what you did with it.

Homer
02-02-2009, 10:59 PM
All right, here's the first cover:
http://rapidshare.com/files/192811313/Secrets__Against_Belief_Cover_.mp3

Amazing. That's all I've got to say.

ANYWAYS, so I've decided I'll be doing a cover of Mature.

darea
02-03-2009, 12:49 AM
I've been playing with Big As Life today. Its gonna be cool. I'm having fun just trying to learn it the way he does it so I can change it to fit how i want to do it.

I need the lyrics btw Randy. I know most of them but I can't understand everything you say.

The lyrics should be on his myspace, on the music player thing. I'll check it out. Otherwise, I don't know he might have given them to you by now! And I can't wait to hear your cover of Big as life, it's always been my favourite song of Randy's (before he started recording loads of awesome songs) so it'll be fun to hear you singing it!

ad8
02-03-2009, 02:48 AM
Amazing. That's all I've got to say.

Thank you:) I'm curious on how the two Mature covers will turn out.

randman21
02-03-2009, 04:57 AM
That was awesome, ad8! Sounds almost like a Ricetigers song.

Are you challenging me to a duel? Let's do dis!

ad8
02-03-2009, 06:10 AM
That was awesome, ad8! Sounds almost like a Ricetigers song.

And lol about the cover duel... Against Belief vs. The Fisticuffs... IT'S ON!!!:D

_Lost_
02-03-2009, 07:51 AM
ad8 i thoroughly enjoyed your cover. I've listened to it several times.

And I've just gotta thank Thi for this awesome idea. I've never had so much fun mutilating a song. There is just something so much more exciting about destroying your friends hardwork.

randman21
02-03-2009, 08:13 AM
And I've just gotta thank Thi for this awesome idea. I've never had so much fun mutilating a song. There is just something so much more exciting about destroying your friends hardwork.
Haha. If I were a sig-quoting man, this would be great fodder. I'm excited to see how much you've mangled it.

ad8
02-03-2009, 09:15 AM
ad8 i thoroughly enjoyed your cover. I've listened to it several times.
Thank you:)

Btw I now finished my second cover (Forget Me by Static Martyr) and I just need to work a bit on Fifty-First In Line.

_Lost_
02-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Big As Life as interpreted by KD Shelton (http://www.savefile.com/files/1993588)

There is no bass... *shrug*

It sounds very much like the original, cept I changed some parts.

EDIT: I was having some trouble with the link, so I reuploaded it in case you guys were having the same trouble.

JohnnyNemesis
02-03-2009, 04:08 PM
I don't come through here often, but I just have to say that I think this is a wonderful and inspiring idea.

I'm always shocked by the awesome amount of talent we have on the BBS (I'm thinking of Brianna, mrconeman, and Homer in particular, but it doesn't stop there), so this kind of community based project is super exciting. Soooo gonna enjoy this.

Now, someone do a banjo acoustic version of my song "Nightlife" NAO! (lolz sooo jk. but if someone pulled it off I would die of laughter)

Llamas
02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
I don't come through here often, but I just have to say that I think this is a wonderful and inspiring idea.

I'm always shocked by the awesome amount of talent we have on the BBS (I'm thinking of Brianna, mrconeman, and Homer in particular, but it doesn't stop there), so this kind of community based project is super exciting. Soooo gonna enjoy this.

Now, someone do a banjo acoustic version of my song "Nightlife" NAO! (lolz sooo jk. but if someone pulled it off I would die of laughter)

lol that'd be super fun if I found the time... definitely would be a huge challenge. Though I don't have a banjo... but I do have a mandolin! It'd probably sound like shit. ;)

PS: *blushes*

_Lost_
02-03-2009, 04:37 PM
It has occurred to me that I am totally lame at guitar... no matter how many takes i did, I always botched the very beginning.

EDIT: I didn't even bother learning the original solo for Big As Life either.

Homer
02-03-2009, 04:39 PM

What, I didn't know you were also doing a cover! Well, shit.... . .. .

JohnnyNemesis
02-03-2009, 04:42 PM
It'd probably sound like shit. ;)

So it would be faithful to the original version, you mean? :P

_Lost_
02-03-2009, 04:45 PM
I call the surge!

randman21
02-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Hehe, no pressure. I don't think I wanna battle Against Belief anyway.

For the record, I immediately thought of your jazz "Beheaded" when I read this. Ha.

Big As Life as interpreted by KD Shelton (http://www.savefile.com/files/1993588)

Wow, I'm having a completely different reaction to this than I expected. I thought I'd just be like "kewl" and move on. This was very surreal to me. Almost a spiritual experience. The fact that it's awesome adds to that. I feel like crying.

Haha, and I would have sent you the "bass" part if I had thought about it. Still sounds great.

_Lost_
02-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Wow, I'm having a completely different reaction to this than I expected. I thought I'd just be like "kewl" and move on. This was very surreal to me. Almost a spiritual experience. The fact that it's awesome adds to that. I feel like crying.

really?!?!?!?!?! :eek:

randman21
02-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Yes, but I'm dehydrated, so I can't. I want to give some props for the little backing vox in the chorus. Gave me some good ideas. :D

Llamas
02-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Mike, I've decided that, when I have time, I'm gonna do Green Eyes. I think I'd like to have the tabs if you've got them handy. :)

mrconeman
02-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Just wanted to say that this is a really awesome idea, good job, Thi.

I'll be listening, but unlikely contributing. I can only really decently record a vocal and acoustic track, and I'm not even fond of singing, it's why all of my own stuff is instrumental. And in that my stuff is all acoustic instrumental fiddley stuff I doubt anyones gunna cover me either.

Still, I'll be listening. The Big As Life cover was good.

Llamas
02-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Mike, I figured out the chord progression (G C Em D C, right?) but what I'd definitely like are the tabs for parts like the intro. :)

Coneman, you're about as easy to cover as Ricky. Maybe one day I'll be feeling really creative. ;)

Homer
02-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Hehe, no pressure. I don't think I wanna battle Against Belief anyway.

I think it will be interesting to hear the differences between our covers.

That being said, I just finished up recording everything but the vocals, and damn, I am positive everyone will be pleased.

darea
02-04-2009, 03:32 AM
Karin I really like your cover of Big as life. And the solo was nice too. I Loooove Randy's solo but yours was good too. And as it's been my favourite Randy song ever since I first heard it, like 2 years ago now? well you did a good job!!

_Lost_
02-04-2009, 05:50 AM
Still, I'll be listening. The Big As Life cover was good.

Karin I really like your cover of Big as life. And the solo was nice too. I Loooove Randy's solo but yours was good too. And as it's been my favourite Randy song ever since I first heard it, like 2 years ago now? well you did a good job!!

Yay !

ad8
02-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Well, there are still many other songs by the Ricetigers you could cover:D Other than that, I'm also curious about how the two versions of the same song would sound.

ad8
02-04-2009, 09:37 AM
All right, folks... here are Fifty-First In Line (The Fisticuffs cover) and Forget Me (Static Martyr cover). Enjoy (or not;))!

Edit: LOL, here's the link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/193864277/BBS_Covers.rar

Btw: Lost, your Big As Life cover is great as well:)

randman21
02-04-2009, 10:13 AM
All right, folks... here are Fifty-First In Line (The Fisticuffs cover) and Forget Me (Static Martyr cover). Enjoy (or not;))!

Man, I was so giggly the whole time it was on. The guitar in the beginning is so frickin dirty and I love it. Do play guitar and bass? If not, I'd like to extend a special thanks to the guitarist. Also, I now realize that this song is nothing without a German accent. Very well done. *listens again*

ad8
02-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Man, I was so giggly the whole time it was on. The guitar in the beginning is so frickin dirty and I love it. Do play guitar and bass? If not, I'd like to extend a special thanks to the guitarist. Also, I now realize that this song is nothing without a German accent. Very well done. *listens again*

lol... are the vocals VERY ridiculous?:o Anyway, it's nice to hear that you like it. And yeah, I play guitar and bass.

randman21
02-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Haha, no man. It's great.

T-6005
02-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Wow, I'm having a lot more trouble with this song than I expected. Not only the vocal range - I expected that trouble, but just getting my head around all the little things. Not easy for me.

I'm glad people are actually making these covers. I won't listen to any of them until I'm done with mine, though. Don't want to get all distracted.

_Lost_
02-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Thi, what is it that you're having trouble with?

_Lost_
02-04-2009, 12:00 PM

I can't stop grinning at this. LOVE IT! Its so weird hearing it sung an octave lower, but awesome at the same time. :D

ad8
02-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I can't stop grinning at this. LOVE IT! Its so weird hearing it sung an octave lower, but awesome at the same time. :D

Awesome:) First I thought I would totally mess it up with my voice and it took me some courage to upload... nice to hear that it can be liked nevertheless.

T-6005
02-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Lost, nothing major. Just dissatisfaction with the way everything is sounding.

Some days I get bad buzz on the microphone coming from nowhere so I can't record acoustic. It was one of those days, and the electric tone just wasn't sounding good enough.

I was going to try a cover a la Amy McDonald, but that didn't work out so I think I might try a straight rock cover.

_Lost_
02-04-2009, 02:59 PM
I am familiar with such a buzz. Acoustic can be a real bitch that way.

Regardless, I'm excited to hear what you come up with. :)

Static_Martyr
02-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Oh my freakin' God I love it! Especially the chorus vocals. Bravo, my friend :D Also, the accent is a nice twist.

I sent it to Steve because I think he absolutely has to hear this~

Homer
02-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Okay! I'm done my cover of Ricetiger's Mature.

I hope everyone enjoys it. (http://www.geoffmendicino.com/AgainstBelief/Mature.mp3)

Anyways, I shall cover more in the future... maybe.

_Lost_
02-04-2009, 10:34 PM
*is impressed*

AMAZING!!!

darea
02-05-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm pissed off cause I don't manage to listen to any of ad8's covers! even when I finally managed to download the thing, it didn't come up as a music file but some weird paint type thing:mad:

And I really wanna listen to the 51st in line cover:(

ad8
02-05-2009, 02:29 AM
Oh my freakin' God I love it! Especially the chorus vocals. Bravo, my friend :D Also, the accent is a nice twist.

I sent it to Steve because I think he absolutely has to hear this~
That's an honour to hear:) I'm glad you like it.

Okay! I'm done my cover of Ricetiger's Mature.

I hope everyone enjoys it. (http://www.geoffmendicino.com/AgainstBelief/Mature.mp3)

Anyways, I shall cover more in the future... maybe.
OMFG. That is awesome. I love the guitar solo and especially the chorus. I'm happy now:)

I'm pissed off cause I don't manage to listen to any of ad8's covers! even when I finally managed to download the thing, it didn't come up as a music file but some weird paint type thing
And I really wanna listen to the 51st in line cover:(
I could reupload both files as separate mp3 uploads. I uploaded them as a .rar archive because I thought it'd be more comfortable to have two songs in one download. You can extract the files from the .rar archive with a program like winrar.

darea
02-05-2009, 02:46 AM
I could reupload both files as separate mp3 uploads. I uploaded them as a .rar archive because I thought it'd be more comfortable to have two songs in one download. You can extract the files from the .rar archive with a program like winrar.

If you could reupload it as a separate mp3 upload it might work. I manage to download things from the place where Lost and randman put their files, I don't know if you can do that, or I'll just ask someone to send me the file or whatever. I don't know.

ad8
02-05-2009, 03:40 AM
All right, here's Fifty-First In Line:
http://www.savefile.com/files/1995720
Side question: Is it possible to search files on savefile? Cause I didn't copy the link for Forget Me and now I would have to upload it again...

randman21
02-05-2009, 03:52 AM
Hehe, don't worry. I sent it to her.

ad8
02-05-2009, 03:57 AM
Ah, thank you:)

darea
02-05-2009, 03:59 AM
All right, here's Fifty-First In Line:
http://www.savefile.com/files/1995720
Side question: Is it possible to search files on savefile? Cause I didn't copy the link for Forget Me and now I would have to upload it again...

Randy was right! this is funny. It's like there's your German accent, and it sounds english at times! But I like it! It's cool to hear a different version.

randman21
02-05-2009, 04:16 AM
Randy was right! this is funny. It's like there's your German accent, and it sounds english at times! But I like it! It's cool to hear a different version.
Haha, I didn't mean it was funny. I meant exactly what Lost said. Maybe I should have said "giddy," as I was going to.:D

darea
02-05-2009, 04:18 AM
Haha, I didn't mean it was funny. I meant exactly what Lost said. Maybe I should have said "giddy," as I was going to.:D

Well I thought giggly was similar enough to funny. Anyway the main thing is : I liked it!

ad8
02-05-2009, 04:25 AM
That's cool:)
But now I'm a bit confused... do I have an accent which is really german?
Or is it something else? Cause I usually try not to sound too german.

Static_Martyr
02-05-2009, 04:41 AM
I uploaded Forget Me when I sent it to Steve. Here's the link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7knzqu

darea
02-05-2009, 04:44 AM
That's cool:)
But now I'm a bit confused... do I have an accent which is really german?
Or is it something else? Cause I usually try not to sound too german.

Well I'd have to hear you speak to know how your accent really is. In the music when you pronnounce some things you've got a bit of an english accent (english from england) and you have a slight german accent, but it's not bad. So not VERY german, just it's there. I guess it's like you're eating food and you can taste a certain herb in the recipe and you recognise it for what it is, but it doesn't disturb you.

Heh I don't wanna confuse you! Talking about food because I'm hungry. Basically you don't sound too german, just a bit, and mixed with an english accent sometimes.;)

ad8
02-05-2009, 07:14 AM
Well I'd have to hear you speak to know how your accent really is. In the music when you pronnounce some things you've got a bit of an english accent (english from england) and you have a slight german accent, but it's not bad. So not VERY german, just it's there. I guess it's like you're eating food and you can taste a certain herb in the recipe and you recognise it for what it is, but it doesn't disturb you.

Heh I don't wanna confuse you! Talking about food because I'm hungry. Basically you don't sound too german, just a bit, and mixed with an english accent sometimes.;)
Ah, I get it now:)

Llamas
02-05-2009, 11:44 AM
I listened to ad8's cover of 51st in line... and I honestly don't hear a German accent. You definitely sound fairly native when singing this. You pronounce your "I" kind of strange (like in "find), and like most Europeans, your "r"s are pretty non-constricted. There are things here and there, but I wouldn't be able to tell you were German from listening to this. :)

PS I like the cover!

To everyone else who's submitted a cover... I haven't listened to any of them cause I'm trying to wait til they're all in. Oddly enough, the only two I've listened to are covers of Randy's songs. haha.

coke_a_holic
02-05-2009, 02:20 PM
So, I started learning both The Surge and Body Count.

Maybe I'll do a medley, they seemed to be in similar keys, if not the same key (though I only learned the beginnings of both songs).

Also, llamas, I'll transcribe the intro in word and I'll PM it to you :).

randman21
02-05-2009, 02:36 PM
The two songs I'm doing are in the same key, too. A medley would be fun, but I'd only planned to submit one of the songs.

Homer, the problem with words is that they can only describe one's feelings to a certain point. "Love" doesn't quite capture what's going on between me and that cover. I'm tempted to make up a word. Anyway, I probably shouldn't have listened to it before I even began to plan mine.

coke_a_holic
02-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Eh, decided just to post it here if that's cool with everyone.

I ad-lib most of it using those figures as my basis. It can be finger picked or pick-picked; the recording uses a pick, but when I play around on it, I finger pick it, usually.

e|-----3-----------------0-------3p2-3p2-0----------|
B|------0-------3p1-3p1----0—0---3-3-3-3-1—3p1--3p1-|
G|-------0-0----0-0-0-0----------2-2-2-2-0----------|
D|---0----0--2----------2---2---0~~~~~~~-2----------|
A|--2-2------3-----3---------------------3----3-----|
E|-3-------------------0~~~~~~~---------------------|

Llamas
02-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks, haha. Just so you know, my cover is not going to sound a whole lot like the original... I probably won't make the intro exactly the same as yours, but I definitely wanted to sort out what you did and go from there.

I hope you don't hate it... lol.

coke_a_holic
02-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Psh, if it sounded the same, I was gonna be bummed out.

I like when covers are entirely different from the originals, I think it shows initiative and creativity. Believe me, I've arranged that intro piano part on The Surge for bass. It's going to be entirely different.

Llamas
02-05-2009, 08:15 PM
That's awesome!! I'm excited.

I've got the vocals and guitar rhythm worked out for your song... I'm gonna see if I get time to do more with it this weekend.

_Lost_
02-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Just for the sake of posting, I'm nearly satisfied with The Surge. ... At least as satisfied as I am probably going to get. I just have to record one last part and then adjust the mixing to compensate for the clipping I seem to be getting on some tracks. I'm really excited about this because the original was so different from anything else you hear on these boards.

_Lost_
02-06-2009, 01:06 PM
ZOMG! IZ FINISHED!! (http://www.sendspace.com/file/19dhg3)

Once it gets to where the lyrics start, it basically goes steadily downhill, but I've been working on this all week and this is the best I can do without self harm.

ad8
02-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Respect! I think I would be helpless without guitar, bass and drums. Nice and innovative cover!

_Lost_
02-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Haha! Thanks.

Homer
02-06-2009, 03:36 PM
I'd just like to say this to Mr. ad8: I enjoyed immensely your covers of Fifty-First In-Line and Forget Me. Good job! (I do notice an accent, but don't worry too much about it)

Now, for Lost's cover of The Surge. I didn't expect an A Capella version, but damn, you nailed it. Really playing on your strengths.

So, I started learning both The Surge and Body Count.

If you want, I can send you a quick tab. Though, I'm sure the song's not complex enough to justify a tab.

Homer, the problem with words is that they can only describe one's feelings to a certain point. "Love" doesn't quite capture what's going on between me and that cover. I'm tempted to make up a word. Anyway, I probably shouldn't have listened to it before I even began to plan mine.

Haha, thanks. It definitely was a fun song to play and sing. I hope you have the same fun I did.

_Lost_
02-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Now, for Lost's cover of The Surge. I didn't expect an A Capella version, but damn, you nailed it. Really playing on your strengths.

It twas a surprise. :D now you've done gone and ruined it. :p

EDIT: Oh yeah! Thanks!

T-6005
02-06-2009, 04:27 PM
I thought it would take me longer, honestly, but I've finished my cover of Lost's I See.

I decided to make the first part sort of Amy McDonald like I mentioned (mostly the guitars, basically it just means having acoustic guitars in the background). The second part I essentially decided to take that pop-rock idea I felt in Lost's song and make it into a beach-surfy Jack-Johnson ska-ish song. Honestly, I think it works fairly well. I cut out the end, though. Going back to the whole picking minor didn't feel right after beachiness.

I think it worked well. Holy shit am I an awful singer, though. I moved it down a tone because lower the guitar became annoying to play and it just sounded too low, but I still struggled to get it right. And I had to restrain myself from putting arpeggiated synth and distorted guitar fills in.

Without further ado, here's Thibault Kervarech - I See (Lost Cover) (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OMGID1K4)

I called it the Lost Cover because of a great double entendre between Lost's name and (in my head) the idea of being lost on a beach, and how the way I did this song kind of put that in my head.

Homer
02-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Holy shit am I an awful singer, though.

What in the fuck are you talking about? You're too self-conscious, man!

Anyways, I really enjoyed the cover. Good job!

T-6005
02-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks, Homer. Soon I'll check out everyone else's.

In other news, this was one of my neatest recordings ever, visually (audio has a little hiss I couldn't cut). Everything was where it was supposed to be. Although I did, overall, end up with over 130 takes. That's a little more than is usual for me.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/thibaultk/ISeeCover.jpg

Llamas
02-06-2009, 04:44 PM
omg. I've listened to four covers so far: Lost's cover of Big as Life, and of The Surge... ad8's cover of 51st in Line, and Thibault's cover of I See. I'm very impressed so far.

Thibault, I absolutely love your cover of I See. This might be my favorite cover so far, though I'm partial to Lost's cover of The Surge (possibly cause it's my song, haha). I really enjoyed your interpretation, though... it barely sounds like the same song, in a great way (and I do like the original). The beginning is my favorite part.

You may not be the best singer here, but everyone's got their strengths and weaknesses. And your voice is certainly good enough to work.

:)

T-6005
02-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I've now listened to all of the covers.

I think my favorite is Homer's cover of Mature. It's just sweet.

But I think I'm a little surprised that all of these covers are awesome. Like, really good.

Homer
02-06-2009, 05:40 PM
i think my favorite is homer's cover of mature. It's just sweet.

<3 .

_Lost_
02-06-2009, 07:17 PM
sounds great Thi. I can hardly believe its the same song!

I reduced the static. http://www.sendspace.com/file/dw4sa3

sorry, it sounds a little compressed.

EDIT: I've listened to it at least 10 times now. :)

Llamas
02-06-2009, 11:24 PM
I finally got my trumpet and trombone back from my friend tonight. I opted against going out tonight... so I'm sitting around, realizing that my embouchure is completely gone for this. BUT I'm having tons of fun with this song (Green Eyes), and once I get decent at playing the synth part on trumpet (omg spoiler), the song will pretty much be done. :)

coke_a_holic
02-06-2009, 11:51 PM
BUT I'm having tons of fun with this song (Green Eyes)

You should've seen me recording the original! I would dance around the room in between vocal parts because I was just having a blast with it, which may account for my being out of tune, but either way, it's just a fun song to do. I'm glad you're enjoying recording it, too.

Also, Homer, maybe not a full tab but if you could just throw in, like, the chord names? I get that it's pretty much just in B minor, but haven't taken the time to transcribe the entire song.

Speaking of recording... my microphone is officially broken. As in, it won't record anything (it's been held together with duct tape since... uh, last March? It's really no surprise that it finally stopped working). So, this is gonna be put on hold until I get my hands on a new (actually good) one.

T-6005
02-06-2009, 11:58 PM
sounds great Thi. I can hardly believe its the same song!

I reduced the static. http://www.sendspace.com/file/dw4sa3

sorry, it sounds a little compressed.

EDIT: I've listened to it at least 10 times now. :)

Although it makes me sound better than when you can hear every nuance of my voice, it just takes away the natural beachy tone a little bit, and I'm not really willing to sacrifice that. I actually applied 3 separate pass EQs to the original file and cut out quite a bit of the noise, which gives you a bit of an idea of how bad it was at first.

Also - You added an Offspring bit at the end. What's that all about?

Homer
02-07-2009, 01:59 AM
Also, Homer, maybe not a full tab but if you could just throw in, like, the chord names? I get that it's pretty much just in B minor, but haven't taken the time to transcribe the entire song.

Alright, well, I have the rhythm written down, so I'm assuming the lead shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Interlude
E......... C B
Verse
E......... G# G
Chorus
G A G G#
C B G.....

ad8
02-07-2009, 02:04 AM
I'd just like to say this to Mr. ad8: I enjoyed immensely your covers of Fifty-First In-Line and Forget Me. Good job! (I do notice an accent, but don't worry too much about it)
*is happy*:)

I thought it would take me longer, honestly, but I've finished my cover of Lost's I See.

I decided to make the first part sort of Amy McDonald like I mentioned (mostly the guitars, basically it just means having acoustic guitars in the background). The second part I essentially decided to take that pop-rock idea I felt in Lost's song and make it into a beach-surfy Jack-Johnson ska-ish song. Honestly, I think it works fairly well. I cut out the end, though. Going back to the whole picking minor didn't feel right after beachiness.

I think it worked well. Holy shit am I an awful singer, though. I moved it down a tone because lower the guitar became annoying to play and it just sounded too low, but I still struggled to get it right. And I had to restrain myself from putting arpeggiated synth and distorted guitar fills in.

Without further ado, here's Thibault Kervarech - I See (Lost Cover) (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OMGID1K4)

I called it the Lost Cover because of a great double entendre between Lost's name and (in my head) the idea of being lost on a beach, and how the way I did this song kind of put that in my head.
I really like it. I don't think you are an awful singer. Actually your vocals suit the song very well. And I like your instrumental interpretation of the song(the nice ska-ish guitar).

Llamas
02-07-2009, 04:13 AM
I started messing around with it and I finished the song tonight.

Uhh, apologies for... really bad recording quality (lots of noise and stuff). Unbalanced (drums are too loud I think). Trumpets aren't really in tune. And I think the rhythm might be off.

But otherwise, it sounds great!! hahaha...

Llamas on coke - Green Eyes (http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=O1ACUFV6)

_Lost_
02-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Although it makes me sound better than when you can hear every nuance of my voice, it just takes away the natural beachy tone a little bit, and I'm not really willing to sacrifice that. I actually applied 3 separate pass EQs to the original file and cut out quite a bit of the noise, which gives you a bit of an idea of how bad it was at first.

Also - You added an Offspring bit at the end. What's that all about?
yeah... haha. i was just bored. it definitely loses so spark...

lol... that happened cause rather than start a new file i just went in and pasted over an old track...

i thought I reuploaded it when i realized that was there.

EDIT: I've listened to Green Eyes now and it sounds great Brianna!

Llamas
02-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks. :)

ad8
02-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah, Green Eyes is pretty sweet.

coke_a_holic
02-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Whoa! The Green Eyes cover is really cool! I didn't see it until just now, but it was pretty much really excellent. The instrumentation sounded really cool with the song and I liked the fact that you could hit notes that I... uh, definitely can't. I could definitely tell you had fun covering it.

Man, this is such a cool idea. The cover of Mature sounded pretty badass as well, but I haven't had time to listen to the rest yet.

Llamas
02-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Whoa! The Green Eyes cover is really cool! I didn't see it until just now, but it was pretty much really excellent. The instrumentation sounded really cool with the song and I liked the fact that you could hit notes that I... uh, definitely can't. I could definitely tell you had fun covering it.

Man, this is such a cool idea. The cover of Mature sounded pretty badass as well, but I haven't had time to listen to the rest yet.

:) I'm incredibly glad you liked it! I had a ton of fun with it, and then had this overwhelming feeling that I destroyed it. I also felt like it was the cover that killed the thread, lol. So yeah, totally stoked that you liked it. :) :)

_Lost_
02-08-2009, 09:04 PM
I also felt like it was the cover that killed the thread, lol.

lol. you crazy.

darea
02-11-2009, 02:23 AM
I hadn't realised that there was you'd put Thib's version without the static, thanks! It's really nice to listen to. I couldn't imagine a guy singing I see and you've done a good job! And stop saying you don't sing well Thib! lol You're being like Randy , all this saying you can't sing when you can! lol

JoY
02-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Thi, I swear, if you get your voice more under control, so you can keep it more steady, you'd be an awesome singer. the sound of your voice is immensely pleasant for the ear. you hang into the rhythm & use the beat to relax to, instead of being rushed by it. your singing is so layed back & relaxed. it reminds me of something, of someone. I just can't remember who.