PDA

View Full Version : Chris Cornell's new sound.

Omni
02-07-2009, 03:30 PM
For those who don't know, Chris Cornell's new much-delayed solo album is due next month. And he's changed his style to R&B. Everyone who's ever heard Soundgarden hates him now, it seems, but I've been listening to the album on Youtube, and so far I've heard "Scream," "Ground Zero," "Watch Out," and "Part of Me," and I've liked every song so far. I've tried listening to Euphoria Morning, and Carry On (his previous two solo albums), and I can honestly say I didn't like a single song on either. The only song I could even remotely stand on Euphoria Morning was "Can't Change Me." Maybe I'm just weird, or ultra acceptant to an artist's tendency to change, but then again, I also prefer Audioslave to Soundgarden, which no one else seems to do. What do you guys think?

Outerspaceman21
02-07-2009, 03:55 PM
I miss Soundgarden. I didn't really like Audioslave the much, mostly because I prefered RATM and Soundgarden.

But hey, R&B's cool. I like R&B.

ofsmurfsandpixies
02-07-2009, 04:13 PM
i heard his single with timbaland and wasn't impressed. audioslave were amazing though (:
not that soundgarden and rage werent.

Omni
02-07-2009, 06:33 PM
For me, the thing that made Audioslave the best was the thing that everyone else critisized it for. "Oh, it sounds EXACTLY like if you replaced Zack de la Rocha with Chris Cornell. It's just a Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine mashup. That's all it is." Um, yeah? What could possibly be more awesome than that?

Autonomist
02-07-2009, 09:06 PM
I didn't like neither Soundgarden nor Audioslave as a whole, but both bands had some surprisingly amazing songs. I've never particularly liked Chris Cornell as a singer though, and after hearing that horrible shit he did with Timbaland I'm not open to the idea of him making an R&B album at all.

findout5
02-08-2009, 05:54 AM
Chris was a God in the 90's. Soundgarden rules. Temple of the dog is beautifull. Euphoria Morning is fucking brilliant!
Then came the year 2000...Audioslave doesn't necessarily suck, but it doesn't rule. Carry On is a sub-par record. A few good songs, a few bad. I can say I own every single recod he has put out...but I can't see myself buying or listening to the new one.

HIS NEW RECORD IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIT EVER!!!!
HE HAS OFFICIALY SOLD OUT. HE SOLD HIS INTEGRITY TO MAKE MONEY.
HE WORKED WITH TIMBALAND! JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE IS A GUEST ON THE RECORD. OH MY GOD...he must be desperate for money.
Don't believe me? Get it, and DELETE IT afterwards.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T0I3E23F

Superdope
02-08-2009, 05:59 AM
I have respect for artists wanting to experiment and do new things, but damn... This sounds like everything else.

Omni
02-09-2009, 05:43 AM
HE HAS OFFICIALY SOLD OUT

He's been on a major label for the past 15 years. If anything he "sold out" in the mid-90s along with half the other grunge bands. I genuienly believe he may be trying this just because he wants to.

findout5
02-09-2009, 06:56 AM
He's been on a major label for the past 15 years. If anything he "sold out" in the mid-90s along with half the other grunge bands. I genuienly believe he may be trying this just because he wants to.

Selling out has nothing to do with labels.
When an artist changes his music with the purpose of making more money or become popular, that's when he's sold out.
And UNFORTUNATELY, this is the case here.

Superdope
02-09-2009, 12:18 PM
When an artist changes his music with the purpose of making more money or become popular, that's when he's sold out.

I don't think alienating your entire fanbase = getting teh monz.

And I agree with Omni, I think Cornell really wanted to take it in this direction. It sure as hell took balls to do it. My opinion is the same though.

findout5
02-10-2009, 04:47 AM
A) It's not R&B. It's pop. RnB would be something like...track 4 out of Carry On - and that would be OK. What he made is pop, electro pop.
And, his career for 20 years has been great, but this is just inadmissible.
The truth is, he's been selling less and less for a while, and he thinks that if he's the new Justin timberlake, he will sell a lot. And that is sad.

Smash_Returns
02-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Uhhh... I used to like Chris Cornell.

His grunge stuff with Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog was great. Audioslave was amazing, simply for the Self-Titled album (the rest were kinda meh).

But fuckin' R&B?

Well, at least Alice In Chains is coming back. And we still got Pearl Jam.

Omni
02-10-2009, 02:11 PM

Well, no one will ever be able to prove it was motivated for money, so I'm just going to go with he finally got tired of playing the same kind of music. I honestly don't understand how so many bands can like the same kind of music for 30+ years anyway.

findout5
02-10-2009, 03:23 PM
That's the kind of mentality that will get a dick in your butt at some point! lol
"I don't get how guys can have sex the same way with girls for 30 years...and POW, a dick goes up your ass!!"lol
Just messing with you!

I know it can't be proven that he's doing it for the money, but I'll explain you my "investigation". After Chris released his Euphoria Morning he went through a fucking bitter divorce with his wife/former manager - she even got HIS grammy out of the deal. She really took a lot of money from the guy!
Audioslave came and the first record did realy good, but from there (as far as sales go) it really went downhill. They split up due to money issues. Members of bands don't get the same amount of money - in case ya didn't know. Chris wanted more, they wouldn't do it so he left. Carry On was put out...and it tanked! He's gagging for money. He went to the "go-to guy" to make a hit record - Timbaland! So, I'm assuming he's doing it for the money.

It really saddens me, because I held him in such a high regard. I'm not gonna sell the cds I have where he sings/plays, but this one I will not buy!

offsrx
12-04-2009, 05:15 AM
That's the kind of mentality that will get a dick in your butt at some point! lol
"I don't get how guys can have sex the same way with girls for 30 years...and POW, a dick goes up your ass!!"lol
Just messing with you!

I know it can't be proven that he's doing it for the money, but I'll explain you my "investigation". After Chris released his Euphoria Morning he went through a fucking bitter divorce with his wife/former manager - she even got HIS grammy out of the deal. She really took a lot of money from the guy!
Audioslave came and the first record did realy good, but from there (as far as sales go) it really went downhill. They split up due to money issues. Members of bands don't get the same amount of money - in case ya didn't know. Chris wanted more, they wouldn't do it so he left. Carry On was put out...and it tanked! He's gagging for money. He went to the "go-to guy" to make a hit record - Timbaland! So, I'm assuming he's doing it for the money.

It really saddens me, because I held him in such a high regard. I'm not gonna sell the cds I have where he sings/plays, but this one I will not buy!

Unfortunantley, but I have 2 agree with you. Chris was the one who left the band.. such a shame, cause audioslave was a really great band. There's a group on facebook wich wants 2 gather everyone who thinks audioslave should get back. I've putted it in my signature, and I have joined it :)

Omni
12-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Well, Scream is being remade into a rock album. I wonder what the motivation for that was.

And Audioslave isn't coming back, sadly. I much preferred their music to both Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine, but it suffered from the same problem many supergroups did (Including the recent Velvet Revolver): a lead singer that didn't fit in with the band members from the other band. Supergroups don't reform.

XYlophonetreeZ
12-05-2009, 01:54 AM
Apparently I'm a little late on hearing about this.

I just listened to his song with Timbaland. It's... really, really bad. My God. It sounds like Marc Anthony or something, but it sounds so out of place. Granted, I'm used to hearing him in a totally different context, but it sounds so ungodly incongruous that I'm pretty sure that even if I had no idea who Chris Cornell was prior to hearing that, I'd still think that, and probably conclude that he'd be better off singing rock.

Rooster
12-05-2009, 03:09 AM
I have a tiny bit of hope for Soundgarden reunion. All 4 members are saying "you never know" in their interviews, Cornell said he wished he was with them on the stage when they did one-off reunion with Tad (ala Tadgarden), and (probably you know this already) on 6th october they appeared TOGETHER on a Pearl jam concert for the first time since 1997. So it looks like they're in good terms again. Plus, Cornell's voice is getting better again, looks like he's getting it back (the motherfucker had 4 octave vocal range, that's insane), at least as you can hear from his live performance with Temple of The Dog (reunited in October after a very long time, Cornell came on stage and performed the song with other Pearl Jam members), Hunger Strike sounded fantastic.

There are a lot of rumours circulating the internet, maybe it could really happen...

But yeah, his latest solo album is bullshit. Maybe he just went through some crazy-mind phase and had to spew it out of his head.

offsrx
12-05-2009, 03:55 AM
I have a tiny bit of hope for Soundgarden reunion. All 4 members are saying "you never know" in their interviews, Cornell said he wished he was with them on the stage when they did one-off reunion with Tad (ala Tadgarden), and (probably you know this already) on 6th october they appeared TOGETHER on a Pearl jam concert for the first time since 1997. So it looks like they're in good terms again. Plus, Cornell's voice is getting better again, looks like he's getting it back (the motherfucker had 4 octave vocal range, that's insane), at least as you can hear from his live performance with Temple of The Dog (reunited in October after a very long time, Cornell came on stage and performed the song with other Pearl Jam members), Hunger Strike sounded fantastic.

There are a lot of rumours circulating the internet, maybe it could really happen...

But yeah, his latest solo album is bullshit. Maybe he just went through some crazy-mind phase and had to spew it out of his head.

When that happend? October THIS year, or when? Is there any pic or video of soundgarden & pearl jam on stage?
That would be really cool. If soundgarden comes back again.
But I was just hoping for a Audioslave comeback tour, I mean there are a lot of fans of Audioslave, and a lot of great songs, so if Cornell needs money, he can make it with Audioslave ;)

holland25
12-05-2009, 04:22 AM
Audioslave sucked. There's nothing better than the good old RATM and Soundgarden.

Rooster
12-05-2009, 06:01 AM
When that happend? October THIS year, or when? Is there any pic or video of soundgarden & pearl jam on stage?
That would be really cool. If soundgarden comes back again.
But I was just hoping for a Audioslave comeback tour, I mean there are a lot of fans of Audioslave, and a lot of great songs, so if Cornell needs money, he can make it with Audioslave ;)

Yep, it happened this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLo5miR0dJY

Cornell just came on stage to perform an encore with Pearl Jam, Which resulted in one-off Temple Of The Dog reunion with all original band members. Other Soundgarden members were also present at the gig, they were together in the crowd.

Omni
01-03-2010, 02:21 PM
This album is now being re-recorded into rock format. I've heard two or three of the songs, and they sound much better with rock instruments. I actually liked it the best of his three solo albums, even before this, because there were a lot more hooks. Do you think the re-working means he acknowledges this album was a failure and/or a bad idea?

Long Gone - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veT_fGznbM0

I guess now that Soundgarden is back, no more solo stuff. That's fine with me, for the most part.

Rooster
01-03-2010, 02:32 PM
I kind of like this one, much better than original version.

And no matter what people are saying about his voice not being in the best shape anymore, he's still a great singer, and their new album (i'm sure there will be one) could still be awesome!

I bashed Cornell when i heard Scream, but i felt bad about it later. I mean, yes it sucked, but still, what this guy did with Soundgarden. I rather started to hope for a reunion. My wish came true.

findout5
01-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Long Gone like that is lesser gay than previously.

The olde version was like...two dudes making out.
The new one is like...the sauna room.

:p

coke_a_holic
01-08-2010, 06:49 PM
SELLOUUUTTTTZZZZZ

Chris Cornell is just trying to change his style to make more money. It's like when they introduced Coke 2 and it tasted like piss, so they brought back Chris Cornell Classic to make more money as some great return from an old friend/drank/boring grunge singer turned terrible R&B singer turned boring grunge singer.

WHATTA SELLOUTZ

Sidewinder
01-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Outzels.!!