PDA

View Full Version : 21st Century Breakdown

Camilamazed
02-08-2009, 06:35 PM
It's just been announced at the Idiot fan club the name of the brand-new Cd by Green day that comes out on May 2009.

=)

jacknife737
02-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Confirmed by http://greenday.net/!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited for this. 2009 is going to be a great year for new music.

Also, I quite like the title. And May is a lot sooner then I had expected; i was predicting a July/August release.

randman21
02-08-2009, 06:57 PM
lolz @ jacknife.

While I'm not real big on the title (not really the title itself, but its implications) and I've grown rather tired of Green Day, I'm most definitely interested. If they decided to continue the direction of American Idiot, I'll be happy.

Outerspaceman21
02-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Lets hope that this wont be as much of a disappointment then American Idiot (I hate new Green Day. 1997 and down is the best Green Day)

Cock Joke
02-08-2009, 08:05 PM
That is two pieces of good news in one fuckin' night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cool 2 hate 681
02-08-2009, 08:07 PM
hope it's nothing like american idiot

0r4ng3
02-08-2009, 09:41 PM
People still hate American Idiot? It's not even that popular anymore, which is what I thought to be the only reason.

Anyway, excited for the new album, etc.

RageAndLov
02-09-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm so excited! This is gonna be really great! And because my username is what it is, I guess I'm obligated to get that album :p

I wonder how the cover will look like.

Outerspaceman21
02-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Fuck, it is gonna suck. I just read that it's gonna sound more power pop than punk rock.

FUCK, AND IT'S IN ACTS???

Thomas
02-09-2009, 01:19 AM
It's in acts? My oh my, they certainly getting full of themselves. I predict it's gonna flop, and then the album following it will be released shortly after this one, and it will go back to their "roots" and people will love them again.

randman21
02-09-2009, 02:41 AM
People still hate American Idiot? It's not even that popular anymore, which is what I thought to be the only reason.

I'm sure it had little to do with its popularity, although I can't really put my finger on it either. I'm not a huge Green Day fan, so I'm not totally sure, but didn't they have a couple more successful albums?

Anyway, apart from Dookie (one of my favorite albums ever), the only album of theirs I find remotely listenable is American Idiot. As a whole, that is. There are awesome songs on every album, but I normally find myself thinking that I pressed the repeat button by mistake. I just get bored.

P.S.
FUCK, AND IT'S IN ACTS???

It's in acts?
Am I missing something?

Jakebert
02-09-2009, 07:33 AM
I'm curious to see what this is going to sound like, but at the same time, I doubt I'll buy it.

Although, I love everyone freaking out that they split it up into acts, when this is a fairly common thing in rock music. If Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, or the Who does it, it's amazing, but if any other band tries it, how dare them! Seriously guys, it's not that big of a deal and I'm sure it's not going to affect the overall album that much. So they want to try something ambitious, who cares? I'm sure if the Offspring had done the same thing, everyone here would be creaming their pants over it.

mrconeman
02-09-2009, 07:46 AM
The difference is for the most part, Pink Floyd and The Who have proven themselves and done it well, the one time Greenday released something close to a concept album (American Idiot) some of the songs were good sure, but it just reeked of try-hard and those songs that were ages long were literally just 4 greenday songs saved on the one track on the cd. Hardly comparable to when Pink Floyd do a long track, or a concept album, and I know obviously you'd agree.

I certaintly wouldn't enjoy the idea of Offspring or Greenday seperating albums into acts. I'll still listen to this anyway, out of curiosity.

Outerspaceman21
02-09-2009, 10:53 AM
It's not going to ruin the album, but the overall idea seems like they are trying to be an epic band of some sort.

As for what I read, it is looking to be another concept album, which means if they didn't fix the problem from the last record, a lot of the songs will be weak individually and will only work on the whole concept album. A good concept album is one that works as a concept album all togther and each individual song works by itself as a song. THat was my biggest complaint for their last record. I only liked a couple of songs, really. My favorite was Letterbomb because it sounded a lot like older green day. This was ironically Billie Joe's favorite too.

0r4ng3
02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
This was ironically Billie Joe's favorite too.
That's not ironic, it's just coincidental!

/futurama

But anyway, yeah, that was one of my favorites from AI also. Another one I liked was Holiday, despite massive airplay.

Jakebert
02-09-2009, 11:54 AM
The difference is for the most part, Pink Floyd and The Who have proven themselves and done it well, the one time Greenday released something close to a concept album (American Idiot) some of the songs were good sure, but it just reeked of try-hard and those songs that were ages long were literally just 4 greenday songs saved on the one track on the cd. Hardly comparable to when Pink Floyd do a long track, or a concept album, and I know obviously you'd agree.

I certaintly wouldn't enjoy the idea of Offspring or Greenday seperating albums into acts. I'll still listen to this anyway, out of curiosity.

And The Wall or Tommy don't sound incredibly try-hard and weak?

IamSam
02-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Oh god...we've awoken the sleeping music critic inside Jakebert!

Actually...I'm very interested in this now that we are debating The Wall.

I'll wait on this album until Jacknife listens to it. Normally he steers me right in all things music.

randman21
02-09-2009, 02:59 PM
That's not ironic, it's just coincidental!

/futurama

But anyway, yeah, that was one of my favorites from AI also. Another one I liked was Holiday, despite massive airplay.
Yeah, Holiday is my favorite from AI. And, now separated from it by five years, I highly, highly enjoy Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Cock Joke
02-09-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm gonna say it again: THIS FUCKIN' RULEZ!!!

mrconeman
02-09-2009, 04:39 PM
And The Wall or Tommy don't sound incredibly try-hard and weak?
No, actually. The music on The Wall doesn't show the talents of Pink Floyd to the full by any means at all, but lyrically, I think it's brilliant, no matter how 'mainstream' of an opinion that may be, The Wall's a great album.

I'm alot less familiar with Tommy's general story and lyrics, I've only seen bits here and there of the film too, but the music is good enough for me not to care that the narrative may or may not be crap/try-hard.

What I'm saying is, at least in my opinion, these bands can do that well. Greenday should stop trying to be anything but what they are - a bunch of extremely mediocre musicians, in a pop-punk band who occasionally wrote very good songs with the classic 3 chord punk formula, and there was nothing wrong with that.

jacknife737
02-09-2009, 05:28 PM
What I'm saying is, at least in my opinion, these bands can do that well. Greenday should stop trying to be anything but what they are - a bunch of extremely mediocre musicians, in a pop-punk band who occasionally wrote very good songs with the classic 3 chord punk formula, and there was nothing wrong with that.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Warning is by far their best work, and that steps well beyond the 3 chord formula; the band can try something new, without the illusions of grandeur, and it can be brilliant.

mrconeman
02-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Warning is by far my favourite Greenday album. It has that little folk influence, and they put a few more acoustic guitars in the mix, but it really doesn't exactly stray from the 3 chord punk formula. They just slowed some of it down, added a few extra instruments, and wrote some brilliant songs.

to clarify: I'm all for bands expanding their horizons and trying new things, but when they try something and fall way short of the mark, I'm not so sure they should try it again.

Outerspaceman21
02-09-2009, 06:45 PM
My favorite Green Day album was Insomniac. I enjoyed a lot of the songs on that CD. Next to that is Dookie, then Nimrod, Kerplunk, 39/Smooth, Then Warning and American Idiot. I only liked two songs on American Idiot: Letterbomb and Holiday.

I hope this next album wont suck.

RageAndLov
02-09-2009, 11:01 PM
I found American Idiot to be a great album! It's got a history through it all, with makes the album more cohensive than an album filled with 13 different songs with no connection between them. And that is more interesting I think.

Musically this album is great! I like all the songs very much except for Extraordinary Girl. They tried something new, and apperantly it was very successful. I know that older people thought this album was good, people in their 30s and 40s how never had heard about Green Day before.

I don't know if they should try to do the same thing again, or if they should go another direction musically, but it was a great album!

I think it's my fav Green Day album :)

jacknife737
02-10-2009, 12:31 AM
And we have an album cover! Legit, posted on the official site!

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/jacknife737/GreenDay21stCenturyBreakdownL-1.jpg

I'm not exactly sure how i feel about it. I think, it's something that i'll appreciate more once i've read the lyrics.

Jesus
02-10-2009, 02:25 AM
Cooties!

Then again the right one could also be female. I get a better initial reaction from it than I got from the rafrag cover.
I hope they'll surprise me as much as they did with the change from nimrod to warning and warning to AI. Then again they have always progressed nicely, the only album that I thought was pretty generic was Insomniac which has probably something to do with it being a quick follow up to Dookie.

Free?
02-10-2009, 02:43 AM
I like the cover, looks smooth. The only thing that I'm aware of is the upcoming album could be a power pop mainly about feelings. That would be sad.

the right one could also be female.

That would be fantastic!

RageAndLov
02-10-2009, 10:42 AM
A preview of one song is now on www.greenday.com. Sounds just like some waiting music, not like a real song from the album.

I like the cover, looks smooth. The only thing that I'm aware of is the upcoming album could be a power pop mainly about feelings. That would be sad.

What are all the albums from 39/Smooth to Nimrod about then?

IamSam
02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
That cover has me all sorts of skittish now.

Free?
02-10-2009, 03:17 PM
A preview of one song is now on www.greenday.com. Sounds just like some waiting music, not like a real song from the album.
Sounds like a part of a song, probably the first from the album.

What are all the albums from 39/Smooth to Nimrod about then?

Definitely not power pop because it's a child of 00's. I must confess that I wasn't looking deeply into Green Day lyrics tho.

bouncingcoles
02-10-2009, 04:03 PM
im interested to hear this and see if it even has a chance to living up to its hype. which is doesnt im sure

Alex101
02-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Ah, life feels good again. 2009 is gonna be a rockin' year, with Green Day having a new album, Blink-182 back together and The Offspring planning their own tour (if it ever does happen).

chicapowerpunk
02-10-2009, 04:57 PM
:DGeen Day and lost his honor, and I do not like (if I ever liked), what they should do is get her own brand of clothing or underwear and autograph them and be role models.

jacknife737
02-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Well the riff is nothing incredible, it almost seems to drag on for a bit too long but it does sound as if right when it cuts off, the song really kicks in, so i can't really be too harsh. Stuff like this is just making me even more excited for it to come out.

based on these descriptions http://www.greendayauthority.com/articles/Alternative%20Press/scan6.jpg

the clip may be from the album's title track.

I can't wait to get the full tracklisting. I've heard it's going to clock in at 16 songs, in three acts, although i can't quite remember where so i could be wrong.

randman21
02-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Well the riff is nothing incredible, it almost seems to drag on for a bit too long

haha, yeah. But listening closer, I think it may just be looped. I notice some fret buzz on the second note of the riff every time. It's probably not that long on the album.

Outerspaceman21
02-10-2009, 09:57 PM
haha, yeah. But listening closer, I think it may just be looped. I notice some fret buzz on the second note of the riff every time. It's probably not that long on the album.

God, lets hope not. WTF, what do I care? Why am I even posting?

Oh, yeah, I have nothing better to do with my life.

IamSam
02-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Well the riff is nothing incredible, it almost seems to drag on for a bit too long but it does sound as if right when it cuts off, the song really kicks in, so i can't really be too harsh. Stuff like this is just making me even more excited for it to come out.

based on these descriptions http://www.greendayauthority.com/articles/Alternative%20Press/scan6.jpg

the clip may be from the album's title track.

I can't wait to get the full tracklisting. I've heard it's going to clock in at 16 songs, in three acts, although i can't quite remember where so i could be wrong.

March of the Dogs sounds interesting...although I find it kinda interesting that Sum 41 has a song of the same name.

Jesus
02-11-2009, 11:55 AM
ooh that was one of the few songs I liked on that sum 41 album, so not a bad sign... although I first thought of march of the pigs by NIN, which made me feel even better about it.

Outerspaceman21
02-11-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm gonna listen to it before I buy because I made the same mistake with American Idiot, which is a buy I regret.

Cbonham5
02-12-2009, 07:19 AM
I loved American Idiot, it was the right way for them to go at the time, but i think they should skip the Power Pop and go straight to their roots NOW, we need less forced political stuff and more of what comes naturally to them...songs about masturbation

zsk
02-12-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm a 21 Cetury digital boy,
i don't know how to learn,
but i got a lot of toys...

0r4ng3
02-12-2009, 09:22 AM
It's "I don't know how to read".

Oh, wait, I see what you did there.

bighead384
02-12-2009, 09:24 AM
What a Greendayish album title. It's amazing how some bands manage to have songs and album titles that are so...them.

jacknife737
02-12-2009, 09:26 AM
What a Greendayish album title. It's amazing how some bands manage to have songs and album titles that are so...them.

I get the same impression.

Camilamazed
02-13-2009, 07:38 PM
All I know is that I am very scared of what comes next.

RageAndLov
02-14-2009, 02:20 AM
I loved American Idiot, it was the right way for them to go at the time, but i think they should skip the Power Pop and go straight to their roots NOW, we need less forced political stuff and more of what comes naturally to them...songs about masturbation

Their roots ARE power pop! That's what they've been playing all the way up to Warning.

jacknife737
02-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Three articles that discuss specific songs on the album,

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1604950/20090212/green_day.jhtml

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/02/11/first-listen-green-day-revive-dramatic-political-punk-on-21st-century-breakdown/

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/green-day-roars-back-with-breakdown-1003941697.story

Free?
02-15-2009, 02:22 AM
Their roots ARE power pop! That's what they've been playing all the way up to Warning.

I was under strong impression that power pop is a really young genre which started somewhere in late 90's and 00's. Poppy lyrics with catchy guitars, pop meets powerchords. Like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte and All-American Rejects. That's what power pop is to me. Labeling music can be quite awkward today, everything is influenced by something, genres get mixed, so I'm gonna stop here.
After a little research I must admit that I was wrong and power pop started in 60's with Beatles (oh why aren't you surprised...?). Still, I wouldn't call early Green Day power pop. Early Green Day = something good, power pop = "meh" imo, that's why. :)

Al Coholic
02-15-2009, 05:41 AM
And we have an album cover! Legit, posted on the official site!

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/jacknife737/GreenDay21stCenturyBreakdownL-1.jpg

I'm not exactly sure how i feel about it. I think, it's something that i'll appreciate more once i've read the lyrics.

Oh god this looks so emo. Take off Green Day, put on My Chamical Romance, and we'd all be scoffing at this. You notice that a lot of old, popular punk bands are moving further away from punk and more to generic rock? This look like it could be generic with a hint of pussy.

Free?
02-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Oh god this looks so emo. Take off Green Day, put on My Chamical Romance, and we'd all be scoffing at this. You notice that a lot of old, popular punk bands are moving further away from punk and more to generic rock? This look like it could be generic with a hint of pussy.

I definitely see your point, but it has been in punk rock long before emo plague appeared and overused it so much, that makes many of us sick. We shouldn't reject the emotional/love stuff just because some rockstar wannabe posers use it too much. Take a look from this perspective.

Al Coholic
02-15-2009, 10:17 AM
I definitely see your point, but it has been in punk rock long before emo plague appeared and overused it so much, that makes many of us sick. We shouldn't reject the emotional/love stuff just because some rockstar wannabe posers use it too much. Take a look from this perspective.

I'll let the music decide.

Jesus
02-15-2009, 10:49 AM

Except for the fact that you're wrong, it would be a logical evolution though. Old punk rockers were beaten up and picked on by metalheads for being pussies, now punk rock fans are doing the same thing to emos... so in a response to their punk rock fans being dumbasses like metalheads were the old punk rockers (remembering their own past) did the punk thing and turned into supporting the picked upon emo group. Would make sense, except for the fact that it isn't happening.

Superdope
02-15-2009, 12:40 PM
This look like it could be generic with a hint of pussy.

But I like my generic with a hint of pussy... :(

and that album cover is at least ten shades of gay.

RODNEYMULLEN
02-15-2009, 01:58 PM
There is gonna be a political song on the new album called March Of The Dogs, much like the political song called March Of The Dogs on Sum 41's Underclass Hero album from 2 years ago.

IamSam
02-15-2009, 02:01 PM
There is gonna be a political song on the new album called March Of The Dogs, much like the political song called March Of The Dogs on Sum 41's Underclass Hero album from 2 years ago.

It's not political, it's a song based off of religion. An indictment of organized religion is how the article put it.

Al Coholic
02-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Except for the fact that you're wrong, it would be a logical evolution though. Old punk rockers were beaten up and picked on by metalheads for being pussies, now punk rock fans are doing the same thing to emos... so in a response to their punk rock fans being dumbasses like metalheads were the old punk rockers (remembering their own past) did the punk thing and turned into supporting the picked upon emo group. Would make sense, except for the fact that it isn't happening.

The dumbass scenes and labels aside, I have a point. When talking about the genre of punk rock, however you want to classify that, I'm seeing less and less of it. I do see a lot of punk bands from the 90s going in a generally dislikable, sensitive, teenage-angsty direction. Or a generic direction. I haven't heard RAFRAG but the single they came out with could have just as easily been done by Nickelback, except their version would be more popular.

Now, I'm fine with a band that started out great, became millionairs, and got 20 years older losing a little of that gritty authenticity. It's the natural order of things, and maybe it'd be a little juvenile for Green Day to pretend like they're still touring out of a van and record music that reflects that, now that they're what, in their 40s? Just seems like punk rock came to the radio in the 90s, morphed into several worse genres, but is now just about gone. Any tru punx rockerz should be thrilled that their scene is no longer mainstream.

And no matter what you listen to, emo is pretty gay. I'm not saying that as a punk rocker of any kind. Its been like atleast 6 or 7 years since I wore a wallet chain and the fucked up clothes that represented my inner sense of rebellion. What with not wanting to have nice clothes like all the other conformists. When I'm in my 90s, if I remember what emo was, I'll be telling my great grand kids how gay it was.

bighead384
02-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Only 3rd generation emo, as they call it, seems to be vastly different from punk musically and lyrically. Earlier emo had a lot of similarities with melodic punk/hardcore, and there was a lot of crossover.

jacknife737
02-15-2009, 02:23 PM
The dumbass scenes and labels aside, I have a point. When talking about the genre of punk rock, however you want to classify that, I'm seeing less and less of it. I do see a lot of punk bands from the 90s going in a generally dislikable, sensitive, teenage-angsty direction. Or a generic direction. I haven't heard RAFRAG but the single they came out with could have just as easily been done by Nickelback, except their version would be more popular.

Well punk in the "mainstream" has been in decline since like 2001, save for the odd flair up (Green Day, 2004, ect). But can you name any bands outside of say Green Day and the Offspring, that are going " generally dislikable, sensitive direction" because i can't. Other standard 90s punk bands like Nofx, Bad Religion, et al are still making the same kind of stuff as they were in 94. And that's not even touching on the sort of Renaissance that the independent punk scene is currently undergoing.

Concerning RAFRAG, I can only assume the single you heard was "Kristy Are You Doing Ok", if so, i can understand your criticism. But i take it you have not heard Hammerhead (the first single of the album)? That song is as "hard" as anything they did during the 90s; youtube it.

RageAndLov
02-16-2009, 12:12 AM
I haven't heard RAFRAG

Uhm... What?

Ninty Man
02-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Uhm... What?

I smell a dumbfuck, don't you rage and lov?

0r4ng3
02-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Just because he hasn't heard an album that means he's a dumbfuck? Seriously?

dff_punk
02-16-2009, 12:07 PM
It's kinda strange though, that he registered a while ago and hasn't heard the new album... new people here tend to be enthusiastic about Offspring... perhaps he has other reasons?

IamSam
02-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Just because he hasn't heard an album that means he's a dumbfuck? Seriously?

Apparently the definition of dumbfuck has broadened significantly in recent times.

Jesus
02-16-2009, 12:22 PM
When I'm in my 90s, if I remember what emo was, I'll be telling my great grand kids how gay it was.
Don't forget to mention that the jews were responsible for it! ;)

I wonder how songs like Self Esteem and Gotta Get Away would be received if they would be released now.

IamSam
02-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Don't forget to mention that the jews were responsible for it! ;)

I wonder how songs like Self Esteem and Gotta Get Away would be received if they would be released now.

Oh emo. By far. Apparently bands with guys in them aren't allowed to sing about anything other than how horrible society. Of course with gratuitous uses of the word "fuck."

0r4ng3
02-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I think it mostly depends on the band. If Pennywise released "Dance, Dance", no one would think it was ever emo.

Cock Joke
02-16-2009, 02:41 PM
I lol'd when he said Nickelback could have done Hammerhead.

IamSam
02-16-2009, 02:59 PM
I lol'd when he said Nickelback could have done Hammerhead.

I think he was talking about Kristy oh late one.

RageAndLov
02-16-2009, 04:00 PM
He doesn't have to be a dumbfuck just because he hasn't heard RAFRAG (yet?). I just was very shocked that a person that involved within these boards, hasn't heard the new album. And even not all the singles(?).

Al Cholic, you should reeeeeealy listen to it. I believe you could listen to it for free under the MUSIC section.

Cock Joke
02-16-2009, 05:18 PM
I think he was talking about Kristy oh late one.

I especially can't imagine them doing that.

Al Coholic
02-17-2009, 12:02 AM
He doesn't have to be a dumbfuck just because he hasn't heard RAFRAG (yet?). I just was very shocked that a person that involved within these boards, hasn't heard the new album. And even not all the singles(?).

Al Cholic, you should reeeeeealy listen to it. I believe you could listen to it for free under the MUSIC section.

I tried once and it didn't work. I'll get around to it at some point. There was a time when the Offspring was like, totally the best band eveeeeeeerrrrrrr to me. I was a preteen then. I owned self titled through americana, didn't much care for CO1, and actually, come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've even listened to Splinter.

I like punk rock message boards because they're kind of nostalgic of that simple time in my life when I'd pay four dollars to see some terrible band play at the local venues, became semi-rebellious and in a really immature way, matured on a sort of 'think for yourself' message thats the basis of all punk rock back then. Got into politics because of Jello Biafra and the Dead Kennedys, and I'm a better person because of it. If it wasn't for punk rock I think I would've turned out a lot douchier than I am now.

And I'm not too into classifying things. Maybe the new Green Day album will be allright. If you don't judge a book by its cover, why an album? There's a lot of line blurring between genres, moreso than ever as new subgenres are always popping up. I just have a general distaste for the emo stereotype, who has creeped into the mainstream so much so that the essentials of their 'look' and demeanor has become a part of mainstream society, and I hate that. It's everywhere now, kids wearing a lot of black, bitch haircuts, angsty music. Used to be if they did that they were gothic, and did so to be weird and ironically nonconformist. Now they do it to be cool, like everyone else. I guess that's society for you, a generation ago I'd be bashing new wavers.

RageAndLov
02-17-2009, 02:15 AM
I tried once and it didn't work. I'll get around to it at some point. There was a time when the Offspring was like, totally the best band eveeeeeeerrrrrrr to me. I was a preteen then. I owned self titled through americana, didn't much care for CO1, and actually, come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've even listened to Splinter.

I like punk rock message boards because they're kind of nostalgic of that simple time in my life when I'd pay four dollars to see some terrible band play at the local venues, became semi-rebellious and in a really immature way, matured on a sort of 'think for yourself' message thats the basis of all punk rock back then. Got into politics because of Jello Biafra and the Dead Kennedys, and I'm a better person because of it. If it wasn't for punk rock I think I would've turned out a lot douchier than I am now.

And I'm not too into classifying things. Maybe the new Green Day album will be allright. If you don't judge a book by its cover, why an album? There's a lot of line blurring between genres, moreso than ever as new subgenres are always popping up. I just have a general distaste for the emo stereotype, who has creeped into the mainstream so much so that the essentials of their 'look' and demeanor has become a part of mainstream society, and I hate that. It's everywhere now, kids wearing a lot of black, bitch haircuts, angsty music. Used to be if they did that they were gothic, and did so to be weird and ironically nonconformist. Now they do it to be cool, like everyone else. I guess that's society for you, a generation ago I'd be bashing new wavers.

Wow, cool! I think it's great that you kinda keep touch with the scene of your old favourite band, if you could call them like that. I'm glad music have played a so important role in your life.

jacknife737
02-18-2009, 11:09 PM
So, word has it, that there is a 53 second clip from the demo of the title track, floating around on the internet. The site greendayauthority had it posted, but had to take it down. I haven't had a chance to hear it yet, anyone have it?

EDIT

Found it!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYcAm_xKNac

It'll probably be taken down quickly, but i'll upload an mp3 of it sometime later if nobody does before me.

To excited to comment, will review it later!!!!!!

RageAndLov
02-18-2009, 11:20 PM
So, word has it, that there is a 53 second clip from the demo of the title track, floating around on the internet. The site greendayauthority had it posted, but had to take it down. I haven't had a chance to hear it yet, anyone have it?

It's still up on GDA. Well, if you mean the song that can be heard on the official Green Day site. Download it here (http://www.greendayauthority.com/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1234285257&archive=).

jacknife737
02-18-2009, 11:22 PM
It's still up on GDA. Well, if you mean the song that can be heard on the official Green Day site. Download it here (http://www.greendayauthority.com/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1234285257&archive=).

No, that's the old one. This new one is 53 seconds long, Click my link!!!!!

IamSam
02-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Well that's...Green Dayish...sounds like them...obviously. Glad you're pumped jacknife! I'm just a little iffy still...

RageAndLov
02-19-2009, 12:14 AM
I don't know if I want to hear it, or if I want to wait for the album. Don't want to ruin the experience ;p

IamSam
02-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Ok Jacknife...I've listened to the entire song and I like it. Good stuff!

medi01
02-19-2009, 09:28 AM
21st Century Breakdown download (full song):

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dynjjzt4gjg

Free?
02-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Breaking news (http://offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36583)

Thomas
02-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Granted, I am a big hater of Green Day, so my opinion is probably (definitely) biased, but to me, this song sounds like it'll be a hit for one or two, maybe three weeks, and then will just fade into obscurity. It's not BAD, there's just nothing that really separates it from everything I've heard before.

jacknife737
02-19-2009, 10:47 AM
So the first song sets the tone for the first album, and this seems pretty telling. People hoping for “back to basics” 3 chord punk stuff aren’t going to be happy, I on the other hand am relatively pleased. The official album version is supposed to be somewhat different, so I can’t get too excited.

When I first heard the 53 second clip, I’ll admit that I didn’t fall in love with it straight away (despite the excitement of discovering it/ novelty of it being new), but after a few listens I began to change my mind. And after finally listening to the full version (thanks Camilla!!!!!!), I’m quite pleased. The only thing that worries me is that it seems as if they put “too much” into the song, ie with the piano, ect. Still, I really like the lyrics and Armstrong’s vocals especially. The overall, this sounds like a mix of American Idiot and Warning, which couldn't make me any happier. I also doubt that this will be the first single; I think they’ll go with something a little faster, along the lines of American Idiot.

0r4ng3
02-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Granted, I am a big hater of Green Day, so my opinion is probably (definitely) biased, but to me, this song sounds like it'll be a hit for one or two, maybe three weeks, and then will just fade into obscurity. It's not BAD, there's just nothing that really separates it from everything I've heard before.
Isn't that the case with almost every hit ever?

Thomas
02-19-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't think so. I still hear songs from American Idiot on the radio these days.

dff_punk
02-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Not to mention Basket Case.

Free?
02-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Both song and album are going to be big, I can't see how latest Green Day's album will be overlooked. Impossible.

Camilamazed
02-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Exactly. Even if the album turns out to be not so good, it will be a huge succes because people will make a fuzz out fo it.

Ninty Man
02-20-2009, 09:00 PM
MMMM, to clear it out: I called him a dumbfuck for criticize the album for a song...

And now:

I don't know what to think about the song... it was so generic to me...

RobinoZombie
02-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Both song and album are going to be big, I can't see how latest Green Day's album will be overlooked. Impossible.

Co1 syndrome?

Free?
02-24-2009, 07:07 AM
Co1 syndrome?

I don't think it'll be so. Besides that, Americana didn't have an army of emo fans like American Idiot does :].

Ninty Man
02-25-2009, 07:53 AM
Co1 syndrome?

Co1 is the third best offspring album

jacknife737
03-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Bump like Donald Trump!

I also doubt that this will be the first single; I think they’ll go with something a little faster, along the lines of American Idiot.

Looks like my prediction came true; they're going with the song Know Your Enemy for the first single, and from what i've read from the various song descriptions out there, it's a faster, more "punk" song then the album's title track.

IamSam
03-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Bump like Donald Trump!

Looks like my prediction came true; they're going with the song Know Your Enemy for the first single, and from what i've read from the various song descriptions out there, it's a faster, more "punk" song then the album's title track.

When are they gonna release it? Any ideas good sir?

jacknife737
03-08-2009, 02:47 PM
When are they gonna release it? Any ideas good sir?

A couple sites are claiming that around sometime in April is when it will hit the radio.