PDA

View Full Version : TV theme song cover challenge/contest!

Vera
02-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Well, here it is! The one you've all been waiting for ...or not.

So, what do we cover?
A British teen show called Press Gang and it's guitarriffic theme tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-uOKWWYl1I

I don't have an mp3 of it right now but if you guys think you'll need it, I can try getting one.

You can listen to both the opening theme tune and closing theme song here: http://www.yoyo.org/pressgang/sounds/

But why?
Because
a) I love the show and that intro.
b) it's a challenge!
c) there's a prize, but no winner.

re: c) - WTF?!
Well, I have a Huck It DVD but I realize that even if I choose a winner, it might somebody who already has said DVD or doesn't want it or whatever. I also have an Offspring cueball I can send over to somebody with a pool/snooker table (as I probably will never own one!).

So yeah, basically how this will work is that I'm willing to send the DVD to somebody who wants it! ...if they take part in this. So when submitting tracks, mention if you would like the DVD.

As a bonus, each participant gets my total adoration and incessant fangirling if they at all pull off covering that intro.

Deadline?

March 20th. That should give you a little over a month, which is surely doable?

The friend who introduced me to this show has her birthday on the 21st and with your permission I'd like to burn a CD of the cover mp3's for her (or alternatively just zip the files and send it to her) and share the results with her. She'd probably love it insane amounts. :]

So what now?

Make your cover, PM with a download link when you're done (mp3 format preferred!), and mention the following:

Your artist/bands name you'd like to be credited with.
Whether you want the prize.
Whether you want to end up on the birthday present.

BONUS!!!

If you want brownie points in the books of Vera, try also covering the closing theme song, which you can listen to & download here: http://www.yoyo.org/pressgang/sounds/

I have complaints!!
Hey, voice 'em, I'm all ears. :]

randman21
02-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Nice! I was wondering when this was coming, although I'm saddened that the theme didn't turn out to be from Perfect Strangers. I wasn't so sure about doing it at first, but two things changed my mind: That we have a over a month to do it, and that it's going to be a present for someone. A sweet gesture I definitely want to be a part of (mind you, this is before I actually listened to the song). :)

Vera
02-11-2009, 02:24 PM
I just hope it's doable for you guys. I don't play so I don't know how easy or tough the song is, how easy the chord progression is to play by ear etc. And the song is sort of cheesy! But I love it.

And yes, I like making creative birthday presents .. of course, this time I'm mainly organizing something, not actually making it myself. But I'll be sure the credit you folks, obviously, and direct her to this thread and your myspaces etc. (She knows I mod here but I don't think she cares enough to check the forum.)

I should also say I initially got the idea when we talked about the theme song and I said, "I wish some rockband would cover that" and she replied, "if some rockband was to cover it, I'd go to their show and buy their CD".

Homer
02-11-2009, 02:47 PM
WHAT

THE

FUCK

Sign me up.

Vera
02-25-2009, 11:28 PM
More of youse need to get on this bizness.

We accept covers of all varities. Jazz, electronica, whatev. :]

Llamas
02-26-2009, 12:16 AM
oman if I find time, I'm totally doing this.

JohnnyNemesis
02-26-2009, 05:40 AM
Weird, we're actually doing a compilation of TV theme song covers at another forum I frequent (I signed up for "Quantum Leap"). If I'm inspired, I'll get down on this.

Homer
02-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Sorry, I haven't had the time to sit down and work on this.

I will, though, when I do.

Vera
03-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Anybody???? :[

Outerspaceman21
03-19-2009, 12:07 AM
I'll pass. Sorry, but I'm bust with other stuff (namely school and writing the closer of our musical...)

randman21
03-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Sorry this didn't turn out the way you'd hoped, Vera, but I managed to scrounge something together at the last minute. It's the music from the ending credits. It's simple, but it's somethin'. :\

Press Gang-closing.mp3 - 0.61MB (http://www.zshare.net/audio/57316339303bbdc2/)

EDIT 1: lolz, whoops. I didn't follow any of the rules regarding submitting the song. Not one.
EDIT 2: Holy...I could have sworn the person's birthday was today. It's tomorrow. I may just work on that opener tonight.

Homer
03-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Oh, shit. I completely forgot about this.

I'm very sorry.

Vera
03-20-2009, 02:23 AM
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH RANDMAN!!! My friend is visiting relatives this weekend but when she gets back I'll hit her with a download link and whatnot.

Anybody else, no worries. :]