PDA

View Full Version : Gun Control

bighead384
02-14-2009, 12:42 PM
I can't seem to remember a thread about gun control on these boards. What's your take on it? A lot of pro gun people say "guns don't kill people, people kill people". I guess that's basically true. Although I personally think citizens should have access to guns, I think we should regulate who can get guns and whatnot.

What do you think?

ad8
02-14-2009, 12:55 PM
From what I've heard there are many many people in America who have a gun. Over here, few people have guns and these people shouldn't have them because they're mostly idiotic fetishists who could easily get stupid thoughts and hurt/kill other people. I don't think that there would be less crimes if everyone had a gun at his house. The crimes would just change a bit, for example from mugging to shooting. So it's right that people kill people. But guns make it way easier to kill a person compared with fists/whatever.

wheelchairman
02-14-2009, 01:59 PM
I've heard that Germany has a surprising number of school shootings for a country with no legal guns.

I think gun laws should be taken in the context of the nation (obviously) there is no moral imperative, what is good in Denmark is not good in America is not good in Somalia is not good in China.

Although I think in the US there needs to be stricter control over who has access and ability to buy a gun.

Llamas
02-14-2009, 02:00 PM
I think gun laws should be taken in the context of the nation (obviously) there is no moral imperative, what is good in Denmark is not good in America is not good in Somalia is not good in China.

Although I think in the US there needs to be stricter control over who has access and ability to buy a gun.

This.

I'm mostly just glad I don't know anyone who has a handgun.

WebDudette
02-14-2009, 02:03 PM
I have two shotguns. I've had various other firearms. But I'm also not a fucking idiot.

Llamas
02-14-2009, 02:08 PM
I think if there was gonna be a gun ban, I'd only support the banning of handguns.

I don't really understand gun laws, though. In countries with gun bans, are people allowed things like hunting guns? How does that work? What kinds of guns can you have? Or are all guns illegal?

ad8
02-14-2009, 02:10 PM
I've heard that Germany has a surprising number of school shootings for a country with no legal guns.

I wouldn't say that there are that much school shootings, but in the last seven years (2002 and 2006) there were two cases of fetishists planning their riot/posing in military outfits. These people didn't have friends/social contacts and such and hated their envrionment as much as they loved guns and weapons. These are rather extremists than normal people and when I thought about the gun laws I thought of more common people. I hope you get my point now.

bighead384
02-14-2009, 02:14 PM
I think if there was gonna be a gun ban, I'd only support the banning of handguns.

Hand guns are especially dangerous. They're so easy to carry and conceal. So I would tend to think that banning them would be good, although I'm not an expert.

IamSam
02-14-2009, 02:15 PM
This reminds me of a bumper sticker I once saw:

Guns don't kill people, postal workers do.

That being said, I agree with WCM and PilZ-E. I own fire arms, but I'm not an idiot.

Unless it's an executive order, I'm pretty sure handguns in the US cannot be banned due to the Supreme Court recently ruling that it was Washington DC resident's right to own them, nixing the handgun ban. Which in turn opens up another cans of worms..

bighead384
02-14-2009, 02:20 PM
From what I've heard there are many many people in America who have a gun. Over here, few people have guns and these people shouldn't have them because they're mostly idiotic fetishists who could easily get stupid thoughts and hurt/kill other people.

I don't know much about what it's like in other countries, but I've heard America being described as having a "gun culture" before.

I definitely think law enforcement should always have guns, though. I was shocked when I discovered that in many countries, law enforcement doesn't carry guns.

wheelchairman
02-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Having no guns doesn't mean they are unarmed.

There is a whole range of non-lethal weaponry out there.

ad8
02-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I think people should also discuss the weapon laws in general. I could imagine that more people get hurt with knives than with guns here in Germany(and probably in other countries).

bighead384
02-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Having no guns doesn't mean they are unarmed.

There is a whole range of non-lethal weaponry out there.

True, but would alternative weaponry be as effective as a deterrent, or as effective as a weapon if used?

0r4ng3
02-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

(unless you count pistol whipping, in which case you're strong enough to not need to own a gun in the first place)

T-6005
02-14-2009, 02:43 PM
The idea that people less intelligent than myself are allowed to own guns anywhere in the world is terrifying.

jacknife737
02-14-2009, 02:52 PM
I don't think i can add anything new to this thread; i essentially agree with everything that WCM wrote. What works in Canada, may not work in the US, ect. Even the difference between rural and urban areas is astounding; i can see having stricter gun laws in inner city areas, but you can't really apply the same to some rural areas where your closest neighbor is literally miles away.

I'm against any sort of gun ban, but i'd love to see increased restrictions of fire arms ownership. I'm quite happy with Canada's gun laws, you are free to own guns (long arms and handguns) but can't go around carrying a handgun on your person (i'm completely against any sort of conceal and carry legislation).

metalmania
02-14-2009, 03:34 PM
what do you think about cluster bombs and rockeyes bombs?what do you think about diego garcia island?anyway this thread is very good thread and questions-answers re so long ;)

bighead384
02-15-2009, 03:03 PM
I just don't understand the gun control debate at all. I recently talked to a guy from southern USA, and he was asking me if it's true that northerners really want to get rid of the second amendment. Is there really a significant amount of people that want to completely outlaw the ownership of guns for citizens? Right now in the USA, you can own a gun, but there are regulations as far as who can get guns, and what you can do with a gun once you own one. What's the problem with that? What policy changes are liberals and conservatives fighting for?

IamSam
02-15-2009, 04:26 PM
I just don't understand the gun control debate at all. I recently talked to a guy from southern USA, and he was asking me if it's true that northerners really want to get rid of the second amendment. Is there really a significant amount of people that want to completely outlaw the ownership of guns for citizens? Right now in the USA, you can own a gun, but there are regulations as far as who can get guns, and what you can do with a gun once you own one. What's the problem with that? What policy changes are liberals and conservatives fighting for?

It would be rather hard to do away with the 2nd amendment seeing that the Supreme Court ruled in the case District of Columbia v. Heller that because of the 2nd amendment, Washington DC residents have the right to own handguns. Because of this ruling, it gives credence to "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

batfish
02-15-2009, 04:32 PM
I definitely think law enforcement should always have guns, though. I was shocked when I discovered that in many countries, law enforcement doesn't carry guns.

I immediately thought of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwDZjS2BT08

Though I think way more British police carry guns now than they did in 1997, so it's not really a culture shock.

I'm really glad Britain has the gun laws it has. Though I barely know enough about the situation over here, let alone that in America, so if I took part in this debate (my immediate reaction being guns = bad) I'd just be being a preachy britfag so I won't bother...
I guess WCM's right, different rules for different countries.

Bipolar Bear
02-15-2009, 09:14 PM
The fewer laws, the better.

chicapowerpunk
02-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Well guess weapons are good or bad at the same time.
Are bad, because it destroys a lot of people just jalr a trigger, or a big shed.
Are good for arms dealers, because they make money because of vindictive people.

metalmania
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Well guess weapons are good or bad at the same time.
Are bad, because it destroys a lot of people just jalr a trigger, or a big shed.
Are good for arms dealers, because they make money because of vindictive people.
what do you think about zapatista?

0r4ng3
02-17-2009, 12:54 PM
what do you think about zapatista?
I'm not really into Pokemon.

metalmania
02-17-2009, 12:55 PM
can you explain it please?

Bipolar Bear
02-17-2009, 12:56 PM
can you explain it please?

lmao it does sounds like a pokemon name or something

ad8
02-17-2009, 12:56 PM

Nooooooooouuuuuuh Zapatista's a fucking Yu-Gi-Oh trap card, idiot!

:rolleyes:

metalmania
02-17-2009, 01:00 PM
hm thanx you re very learned person and i guess you re full with information abour this organization !:eek: anyway i have asked this question to punk cause chikapunk is from mexico ;) and re you from there? hehe

metalmania
02-17-2009, 01:06 PM
lmao it does sounds like a pokemon name or something
ahahha yes dude,i know that to deal with ignorants is difficult! but it doesnt matter ,its not shame!so dont be embarrassed.time will be your best teacher ;)

JoY
02-17-2009, 02:28 PM
what I find an interesting point in this discussion, is that about 70% of all suicide attempts are done impulsively. not that these people don't mean it & aren't deeply unhappy, not that after a single bad day they suddenly decide to end their life, but the thought lingers & the act of the suicide attempt is in the large majority of cases out of impulse. most people come around. they've taken pills, or cut their wrists, tried to hang themselves, but after winding up in the hospital, it appears after various researchresults, that while the thought of suicide was most often lingering for quite some time, the decision was taken in a single moment, impulsively.

then there's a large percentage of the patients who've commited a suicide attempt, that is mentally ill & would be helped with treatment.

my point is, that there's not one Western country in the world with so many successful impulsive suicide attempts, as America. positive as you may look at it, I find that a reason for gun control. because not only aggressive suicide attempts sometimes happen in a moment of utter impulsivity. the aggression doesn't always go in the direction of the aggressor himself.

ps. I mostly agree with Per. allowing guns in a society, especially one that's became accustomed to their presence, is a-okay with me. seeing I have no problems with hunting (with licence & motives that run a hell of a lot deeper than "let's kill stuff"), I have no problems a priori with guns. the point is, there are quite a few idiots, retards & angry people on the face of the earth. I don't trust the majority of people, let alone with a gun. I don't assume everyone sucks, of course I hope everyone rules, but I wouldn't just trust anyone for the mere reason that not everyone on this planet can be trusted. so yeah, some control would be pleasant, I believe for everyone.

metalmania
02-17-2009, 03:16 PM
guns!its a big problem and in same time;its a big way of gain for people(mean of weapon merchants and their servants) and governments.this endustry is monopoly endustry for governments .murders,suicides,massacres.....who cares?the only important thing is the wealth for them!

chicapowerpunk
02-17-2009, 05:07 PM
HEY METALMANIA, that if it is a business, but you're forgetting something important .... mu PERON TO NOT care about the LIVES BECAUSE NOT WANT THE FUND TO THE HUMAN RACE:cool:

metalmania
02-18-2009, 04:32 PM
i just said that gun is perfect sector for monopolist mind.

Hypno Toad
02-20-2009, 01:21 AM
It's really a fuzzy area for me, personally. Regardless of gun laws, bad people will get their hands on them. There are a few kids in my school that own unlicensed guns (though they paid a shitload of money)

The particular people I am referring to are so dense that it just goes to show how easy guns are to get in Canada, despite tough gun laws. If I made the rules, i would ban anything other than pump action shotguns, and bolt action rifles, because they are used primarily for hunting, and cannot really be used for mugging more than something like a chainsaw can be used to mug somebody. They are about the same size, and make the same amount of noise.