I would like to sound like the Kooks.
Any ideas???
Anything is greatly appreciated.

randman21
02-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Start a Kooks cover band.

drummerbecca
02-18-2009, 10:54 AM
No offense, but if you start out wanting to sound exactly like someone else then you're best just being a covers band. Especially if it's the Kooks.
All you need to sound like them is a Tele, a singer with a strong English accent and zero talent.
Oops! Was I thinking out loud again?
Ok, seriously, why not just start a band and try and get your own sound? If it ends up sounding like someone else then so be it, but just don't start out trying to sound like whats in at the time. That's exactly what's wrong with music these days.

ad8
02-18-2009, 11:06 AM
What drummerbecca said.
I don't want to make you leave but isn't there a Kooks homepage with a forum like this where you could ask? I think fans of the Kooks might give you better advice than we can. I mean, I don't even know what they sound like since I don't know the Kooks.

OffbeatTeenageManiac
02-19-2009, 10:00 AM
No offense, but if you start out wanting to sound exactly like someone else then you're best just being a covers band. Especially if it's the Kooks.
All you need to sound like them is a Tele, a singer with a strong English accent and zero talent.
Oops! Was I thinking out loud again?
Ok, seriously, why not just start a band and try and get your own sound? If it ends up sounding like someone else then so be it, but just don't start out trying to sound like whats in at the time. That's exactly what's wrong with music these days.

I guess i don't wana sound JUST like them....i would like to write lyrics similar to them...

Static_Martyr
02-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Since you seem to be heavily influenced by this one band, I'd say that a good place to start would be to form a cover band or something, and write your own material just for fun on the side; at first you can play shows as a cover band (to make up for how few original songs you'll have at first), and as you start amassing more material of your own, you can start working them into sets and eventually make the leap from "cover band that plays originals" to "original band that plays covers." As I recall, that's how Sum 41 did it (I heard they were a NOFX cover band for some time before they made their label debut....?).

Whatever you do, it's ultimately up to you. Just remember to have fun, and not make work out of it. That's the most important thing, if you ask me~

chicapowerpunk
02-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Well if you want to sound Kooks, you better listen bnadas more brit-pop, I give you some extra bands, Artic Monkeys, Baby Shambles, Kasabian, Dirty Pretty Things, Long Blondes, Keane, Kaiser Chiefs.
but if you want to sound more punk Art Brut.;)

OffbeatTeenageManiac
02-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Since you seem to be heavily influenced by this one band, I'd say that a good place to start would be to form a cover band or something, and write your own material just for fun on the side; at first you can play shows as a cover band (to make up for how few original songs you'll have at first), and as you start amassing more material of your own, you can start working them into sets and eventually make the leap from "cover band that plays originals" to "original band that plays covers." As I recall, that's how Sum 41 did it (I heard they were a NOFX cover band for some time before they made their label debut....?).

Whatever you do, it's ultimately up to you. Just remember to have fun, and not make work out of it. That's the most important thing, if you ask me~

Really? i never thought about that...Blink-182 sounds alot different than NOFX for having started like that. Thats though.

Static_Martyr
02-20-2009, 03:53 PM
^Well, the way I heard it it was Sum 41, not Blink-182. I actually don't know much about B182 at all 0_0

T-6005
02-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Man, everyone's jumping on this guy. So what if he's so heavily inspired by one band that he wants to sound like that?

His choice, dudes.

randman21
02-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Yeah, my reply was a bit flippant, taking a jab at his wording. I knew what he meant, though.

OTM, Static_Martyr gave the perfect advice.

OffbeatTeenageManiac
02-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Yeah, my reply was a bit flippant, taking a jab at his wording. I knew what he meant, though.

OTM, Static_Martyr gave the perfect advice.

he did....

Cbonham5
03-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Yea, being influenced by a band and wanting to be just like them are two different things, just about every band can say that they were influenced by the likes of The Who, Led Zeppelin and Van Halen (the latter more for guitar players), and newer bands were influenced by The Ramones and AC/DC. Who knows, maybe you'll end up influencing a band and we'll start the cycle over again...