PDA

View Full Version : Thursday

Little_Miss_1565
02-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Cannot believe no one's made a dedicated Thursday thread yet. "Common Existence" came out yesterday and it's fucking rad. And there's a number you can call to reach them. I can't let this number get anywhere near my phone or I might end up drunk dialing them. That would be bad.

So uh, what'd you guys think of the new record?

coke_a_holic
02-18-2009, 09:11 PM
I haven't listened to it yet, but I'm excited to. My friend's really into Thursday, so I plan on listening to Common Existence as well as Full Collapse as soon as I get my harddrive plugged in.

nieh
02-18-2009, 09:22 PM
I had a copy of War all the Time at some point which would've been a much better album if the singer wasn't so awful. Didn't they go more metalcore/screamo after that or something? I think I heard a couple of their more recent songs at the cd store around here at some point and they seemed alright.

0r4ng3
02-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Thursday, huh? I always lumped them together with other modern "emo" bands (i.e. terrible and/or forgettable). I might take another listen.

(I'll probably never get around to it)

Little_Miss_1565
02-18-2009, 09:29 PM
myspace.com/thursday

cry moar.

nieh
02-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Just listened to Signals over the Air for the first time in forever. That's still such a fucking awesome song. I love that riff so much.

Llamas
02-18-2009, 09:41 PM
I have War All the Time, Full Collapse and Waiting. I used to be quite into the first two, but I kind of grew out of them I guess? A good band, but I don't really listen to this style of music anymore.

They are easy to lump in with the emo crap, but they're one of the good ones. I was never too big on the singer's voice, but they write some pretty decent songs.

I think I'm gonna listen to War All the Time. :)

Little_Miss_1565
02-19-2009, 07:59 AM
So you 'grew out of them' but are going back to listen to that record now? Lame.

Everyone quit whingeing and check this freaking album out.

Free?
02-19-2009, 08:46 AM
They kinda reminded me of AFI. Technical and energetic, I didn't quite like vocalist's voice. They must be explosive live.
AMBULAAANCE!

0r4ng3
02-19-2009, 09:02 AM
So you 'grew out of them' but are going back to listen to that record now? Lame.
I don't see a problem with this. I have some bands that I've deleted and re-downloaded to my iTunes quite a few times.

Anyway, I downloaded the album, I'll listen to it when I have the time.

Llamas
02-19-2009, 12:18 PM

Everyone quit whingeing and check this freaking album out.

I don't see a problem with this. I have some bands that I've deleted and re-downloaded to my iTunes quite a few times.

Exactly what Orange said.

Like I don't ever put on Backstreet Boys or Blink 182 (which I just did a couple days ago, actually) for nostalgia/old time's sake. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.

bighead384
02-19-2009, 12:21 PM
I think "Understanding in a Car Crash" is such an amazing song. Maybe the best emo song of the 2000's. But I've never been able to get into Thursday, although I haven't really ever given them a fair chance.

Llamas
02-19-2009, 12:49 PM
I'd like to clarify... I shouldn't compare Thursday to Blink or BSB, because I don't really genuinely enjoy either of those bands on a musical level anymore; I just listen to them occasionally for nostalgia. I'd compare Thursday more to how I listen to Taking Back Sunday, or The Used, or really most of the punk/emo I've got. I very rarely delete music because every once in a while, I'll be like, "Man, I haven't listened to _____ in a couple years... I should put them on." And then I'll proceed to enjoy listening to the album, but it'll be another year or two before I listen to it again. I fail to see how this is whining or anything... my tastes just constantly shift, and I don't have enough time to frequently listen to everything I have. Plus I love having a ton of options/diversity to suit any mood.

So do you delete music you don't regularly listen to anymore? Or do you just not shift tastes that often?

RickyCrack
02-19-2009, 04:45 PM
i listened to full collapse in highschool. it's a pretty good album. i like them, but i really don't listen to them anymore since where I'm from only scenesters and hipster faggots listen to thursday.

Omni
02-19-2009, 08:41 PM
With the way everyone is going on, I feel deprived for never having heard of them.

Llamas
02-19-2009, 08:58 PM
With the way everyone is going on, I feel deprived for never having heard of them.

Well, if you're into well written "emo" rock music, definitely check them out. I think 1565 posted a link to their myspace.

Budzy
02-19-2009, 11:06 PM
They kinda reminded me of AFI. Technical and energetic, I didn't quite like vocalist's voice. They must be explosive live.
AMBULAAANCE!

I saw them live at Soundwave, besides that I hadn't heard of them, so I guess I was never going to enjoy them that much, but I thought they were absolutely horrible. Their wall of death was cool though, nearly fucking died.

SK8rocka
02-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Thursday, That's such a good day for me, It's the day that i have P.E and Sport.

And, I've found thursday to be the day when everything goes just right, It's Great.

Little_Miss_1565
02-20-2009, 08:21 AM
So do you delete music you don't regularly listen to anymore? Or do you just not shift tastes that often?

No, I don't delete things I don't listen to on a regular basis anymore, unless I honestly can't remember why it's in my library in the first place. I don't think it's fair to say you've outgrown anything that you still listen to for nostalgia or whatever other purpose ever. Like, Bad Religion. I may not check their website every day, but I still throw "Generator" on every now and again, and if someone were to tell me they had a new record out and it didn't suck, I'd check it out instead of talking about "Against the Grain" and saying I don't care about them anymore.

bighead384
02-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Their wall of death was cool though, nearly fucking died.

A wall of death at a Thursday show? Wow, that's kind of a surprise.

Llamas
02-20-2009, 11:26 AM
No, I don't delete things I don't listen to on a regular basis anymore, unless I honestly can't remember why it's in my library in the first place. I don't think it's fair to say you've outgrown anything that you still listen to for nostalgia or whatever other purpose ever. Like, Bad Religion. I may not check their website every day, but I still throw "Generator" on every now and again, and if someone were to tell me they had a new record out and it didn't suck, I'd check it out instead of talking about "Against the Grain" and saying I don't care about them anymore.

Hmm, if I don't include anything I throw on for nostalgia, then I never grow out of any music. I consider growing out of something meaning that I'm not really particularly interested in it anymore. There are many, many musicians, bands, singers, etc whom I don't keep up on, don't check out their new music, and don't truly honestly care if they're still together. However, every once in a couple years, I'll put on that one album that I used to really dig. I know if I were to check out Thursday's new album, I'd listen to it once and then it'd take up space on my hard drive til I deleted it in a few months. Not saying the record isn't great, but I wouldn't be into it. I know you made the thread about the new album, but I felt inspired to post about the fact that I'd totally forgotten about this band and how this thread reminded me of how much I used to like the one album... so I put it on for a few songs. I wasn't slagging the band or its fans... I guess I just have a different definition for "growing out of" something?

bighead384
02-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Music can "grow on you" and you can "grow out of" music as well. It's kind of strange in a way. It happens to me, but I don't fully understand it. I mean, you can "get tired" of a band or a song, but when you "grow out of it" it seems to mean something different. Although I couldn't really define it if you asked me too.

Llamas
02-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Music can "grow on you" and you can "grow out of" music as well. It's kind of strange in a way. It happens to me, but I don't fully understand it. I mean, you can "get tired" of a band or a song, but when you "grow out of it" it seems to mean something different. Although I couldn't really define it if you asked me too.

Right. It's not like I used to think the band was great and now I think they suck... and it's not like I really just got sick of them or something. It's mostly just that, most of the music I get into, I'm really into for a year or a few, but then I find new stuff that grows on me and stop listening to the old.

I still love the Offspring, even though I consider myself to have grown out of them. Since they were my favorite band from 1998 until 2004, I still get excited for their new albums and such... but I've grown out of them as far as listening to them (I listen to them probably twice a year unless there's a new album), as far as relating to their lyrics, and as far as considering them a favorite band. My tastes constantly change and evolve, which causes me to grow away from, or out of, previous stuff.

bighead384
02-20-2009, 12:14 PM
True. I think lyrics can have a lot to do with it now that you mention it. Since a lot of punk lyrics are geared towards a younger crowd, a lot of people "grow out" of punk.

I'm not a trendy asshole!

Free?
02-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Right. It's not like I used to think the band was great and now I think they suck... and it's not like I really just got sick of them or something. It's mostly just that, most of the music I get into, I'm really into for a year or a few, but then I find new stuff that grows on me and stop listening to the old.

I still love the Offspring, even though I consider myself to have grown out of them. Since they were my favorite band from 1998 until 2004, I still get excited for their new albums and such... but I've grown out of them as far as listening to them (I listen to them probably twice a year unless there's a new album), as far as relating to their lyrics, and as far as considering them a favorite band. My tastes constantly change and evolve, which causes me to grow away from, or out of, previous stuff.

It's not what I'd call growing out. Speaking from my own experience, I've certainly have grown out of power metal for several years. I did respect that genre back then, it was fun to listen those naive idealistic songs, I liked their true appearance, to sum it up - I didn't have any problems with enjoying them. Now it all just seems extremely silly and cheesy. I don't hate it, I still would listen a song or two, I would scream along those cheesy lyrics if I'll happen to be drunk enough, but I don't consider power metal as serious music anymore.

Budzy
02-20-2009, 05:21 PM
A wall of death at a Thursday show? Wow, that's kind of a surprise.

I don't know if that's sarcastic or not lol but:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT16UJeRM6Y

bighead384
02-20-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't know if that's sarcastic or not lol but:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT16UJeRM6Y

That's cool, I just wouldn't expect a wall of death from an emo band. That's more of something I'd expect to see at a Devil Driver or Hatebreed show.

jacknife737
02-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Thursday, huh? I always lumped them together with other modern "emo" bands (i.e. terrible and/or forgettable). I might take another listen.

(I'll probably never get around to it)

This.

I caught their set at the 04 warped tour. They were energetic, and i somewhat enjoyed it, but i didn't feel the need to check out any of their albums. Still, maybe i'll give the new album a chance.

Edit: Talk about out of place, the last time i saw Less Than Jake play, there was a "wall of death"; it was weird and really fun at the same time.

0r4ng3
02-20-2009, 07:46 PM
I listened to the new album. I think it needs to grow on me, because I don't remember much of it. Except for the last song, I think it's called You Were The Cancer. That one's really good.