PDA

View Full Version : Millencolin

Bipolar Bear
02-18-2009, 08:50 PM
It's one of my favorite bands, and one of the bands that got me into punkrock, along with sum 41 and some others. Is it just me, or has their music gone downhill with the last two albums? Especially the last one - I can barely make myself listen to it.

One more thing, is it just me or are they kind of mediocre live? I can't stand the vocals when live, they make me feel uneasy in the stomach and shit. Not that I wouldn't kill to see them live anyway :cool:

What are your favorite albums? I love all albums up to and including home from home. I guess my favorite is For Monkeys though, I like the ska twist. The song Lozin Must is my favorite, it's AWESOME. Other favorites are twenty-two & boring planet. You gotta love them.

The album home from home got me into them a few years back with the catchy songs Kemp & Man or Mouse. The album pennybridge pioneers, considered their best by many, then solidified the love I had for that band.

Fuck, and do I even have to mention their first albums? Bullion, story of my life, Mr. Clean...great songs!

A great band going downhill, it sucks but it happens. I'm kind of disappointed though. The pop element they added to their new album makes them sound kind of like +44, except much, much worse. They should have kept their style. Of course, some of you may like that album so that's why I'm asking about your opinions.

renato piquette
02-18-2009, 09:36 PM
You know,dude?i was about to make a thread about machine 15,the reason? I like it,i loove the song "machine 15",but i feel it lost the punk sound,it is a good album,though.
Yes!lozin must is greaat!!!!,fRom "for monkeys" i also love "twenty-two",i love all their albums,specially songs like "friends til the end"(it´s a very special song for me),"penguins and polarbears","the ballad,"queen´s gambit","mooseman´s jukebox",etc.
No,i don´t think they´re going downhill,they just sound different,i don´t know ifit´s just me,or they jumped from the punk scene to the indie scene.
Goddamn poll,i can´t decide from "pennybridge pionners" or "life on a plate",but i guess it´ll be p.pionners

jacknife737
02-18-2009, 09:45 PM
I’m not sure if I’d say that they were on a constant downward spiral. Personally I feel as if Pennybridge Pioneers is probably their strongest album, and I haven’t been overly disappointed by their last three efforts. While Home From Home wasn’t quite on par with Pennybridge, it still had some great tracks, and it was in no way a bad album. I thought that Kingwood was a huge step up for the band musically; it moved away from the more “rock” orientated sound that they introduced in Home From Home, back towards their earlier traditional pop-punk stuff.

I was however slightly disappointed with their latest release. The Plus 44 comparison is a pretty accurate way of describing the sound for that one. It started off strong with the title track sounding as if it could have been on Pennybridge, but then, it was downhill from there. Not to say it was a “bad” album, it certainly had its fair share of catchy tracks, and I still listen to it (coincidently it’s playing on my mp3 player as I type this). I was quite surprised by this, since I read an article around the time of Kingwood’s release where some of the members (not Nikola) were saying how cool it was to be back playing faster, punkish stuff again. I think it’s pretty obvious that the band’s current direction is being spearheaded by Nikola, I just hope by the time it comes to record the follow up, the writing process is more spread out amongst all the members.

I’ve also seen them live, (while supporting Kingwood) and I had a fun time. They all seemed pretty laid back, and were just having fun playing. Mediocre isn’t really a term I’d use to describe my experience.

Outerspaceman21
02-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Voted for Kingwood because thats the only album beside Machine 15 and Pennybridge Pioneers that i heard. i like that song Ray. A buddy of mine likes Millencolin alot. He's a dick, though. in fact, he's not even my buddy. Never mind...

RageAndLov
02-18-2009, 11:10 PM
I don't care much for Millencolin. Their cover of the Operation Ivy song is not very good.

findout5
02-19-2009, 02:27 AM
This is shaping up like the BR thread...everyone has a different fave!

Offspring-Junkie
02-19-2009, 03:13 AM
I had the Pennybridge and home from home album. My favourite songs are no cigar, right about now and greener gras.

dff_punk
02-19-2009, 05:33 AM
Home From Home, cause it includes my most favorite song ever by this band, Fingers Crossed. Plus it has plenty of other energetic great songs. Not that the others are bad, though. The one I enjoyed the least was their last one, even after a couple of listens.

Bipolar Bear
02-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Nice signature dff ;o

Yes, home from home is awesome (it's my second fave). Fingers crossed, greener grass, man or mouse, kemp, and botanic mistress are awesome!

I don't think their performance is mediocre per se, I just think the vocals are musically crappy live [ie. a live album would kinda suck]. The band is fun and the shows are awesome though, wish I could see them.

As for going downward, I just meant kingwood and machine 15. Kingwood is great though, it's just not my style of music as much. I still think it's a great album. Machine 15 is underwhelming, no matter what your style is. As I said, if you like that sort of music listen to +44, it's similar and way better, lol. Fans of millencolin will appreciate it, or people looking to listen to something new and poppy sounding, but I don't think many people were blown away by that album.

If I could rate the albums it would go something like:
1. for monkeys
2. home from home
3. pennybridge pioneers
4. life on a plate
5. same old tunes
6. melancholy collection
7. kingwood
8. machine 15
and #3, 4 and 5 are really close.

WerGee
02-22-2009, 02:52 AM
hmm..quite good band

renato piquette
02-22-2009, 12:54 PM
yeah,they`re great,i`d love them to come and play in mexico,like,does anybody knows if it`s true or not that steve caballero played bass for them at some warped tour gig?

zsk
02-22-2009, 01:00 PM
i like kingwood,especially "Ray"

renato piquette
02-22-2009, 01:04 PM
i like kingwood,especially "Ray"

yeah,me too,and "mooseman`s jukebox"

Bipolar Bear
02-23-2009, 11:34 AM
The best songs on Kingwood are "Ray" and "Farewell my Hell"

bighead384
02-23-2009, 11:41 AM
What's a good album if I want to get into Millencolin?

jacknife737
02-23-2009, 02:00 PM
What's a good album if I want to get into Millencolin?

Pennybridge Pioneers. It seems to be the record that most people first listen to (including myself).

renato piquette
02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Pennybridge Pioneers. It seems to be the record that most people first listen to (including myself).

right,not my favourite one,but it is the best one

RODNEYMULLEN
02-28-2009, 11:34 AM
right,not my favourite one,but it is the best one

i haven't listened to machine 15 yet, but i really liked kingwood.

renato piquette
02-28-2009, 12:01 PM
i haven't listened to machine 15 yet, but i really liked kingwood.

they´re really similar,so you´ll like machine 15

dff_punk
02-28-2009, 12:03 PM
they´re really similar,so you´ll like machine 15

I disagree.

RODNEYMULLEN
03-01-2009, 09:34 AM
well can someone upload machine 15, cause the torrents are REALLY slow.

renato piquette
03-02-2009, 08:21 PM

come on,dude!buy it!!!!

Bipolar Bear
03-02-2009, 08:25 PM

This one is very fast for me:
http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/36337546/millencolin?tab=summary

randman21
03-03-2009, 03:09 AM
This thread has given me a lot to think about. I'm not the hugest pop/punk fan, but I had already heard and really liked what I came across of theirs.

Has...anyone heard that Millencolin like to swim naked with guinea pigs?

Bipolar Bear
03-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Fuck! They are coming to my city but when I found out about it, the tickets were sold out!

renato piquette
03-05-2009, 09:46 PM
has...anyone heard that millencolin like to swim naked with guinea pigs?

really?they´ve become my fav band now :d

zsk
03-30-2009, 06:53 AM
so great! They're coming to my hometown!
http://www.mach1-festival.de/ that'll be a great festival!!!

bouncingcoles
03-30-2009, 08:37 AM
i like pennybridge and machine 15 the best

Tijs
04-01-2011, 09:44 AM
*bump*
So I wondered what was up with Millencolin, but apparently nothing much is going on with them right now.
Though I did find out they released a single called Örebro, which is in Swedish. Have they done more things in Swedish because it sounds pretty cool.

If not, any other good Swedish (or other Scandinavian-language) bands?

Jojan
04-01-2011, 12:44 PM
I prefer their Swedish lyrics more, but I can not say that I have heard them alot.

Your should listen to No Fun At All (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT4qWp0EVOs), Tijs. They opened for The Offspring the first time I saw them. Then there's Satanic Surfers.

Unless you meant singing in a Scadinavian. Maybe Cosa Nostra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nih4sKG42lM), Strebers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyK-Qrcn4eM) or maybe Mimikry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVheSfTC0nM). I think the more Millencolin like bands sing in English.

Tijs
04-01-2011, 03:39 PM
I prefer their Swedish lyrics more, but I can not say that I have heard them alot.So far Örebro is the only Swedish song I've heard by them. What else did they do, and can you upload it or email them to me? :)

Yeah I actually meant Scandinavian singing. Strebers and Mimikry sound pretty cool, thanks for that!

Jojan
04-02-2011, 11:07 AM
So far Örebro is the only Swedish song I've heard by them. What else did they do, and can you upload it or email them to me? :)

Haha. Maybe that was the only one. Can't find anyone in Swedish on Wikipedia. That shows how much I've listened to Millencolin.

Yeah I actually meant Scandinavian singing. Strebers and Mimikry sound pretty cool, thanks for that!

There are some related artist with a similar sound.

bouncingcoles
04-03-2011, 09:00 AM
pennybridge pioneers is my favorite. the first millencolin cd i ever heard. I heard no cigar on tony hawk pro skater 2 and loved it. i love kingwood and machine 15 too. i wish they would play again here in the U.S.

Offspring-Junkie
04-04-2011, 01:50 AM
I heard no cigar on tony hawk pro skater 2 and loved it.

Me too, awesome game, great song.

Tijs
04-09-2011, 03:37 PM
They're playing in Amsterdam on the 23rd, definitely going there! They're among the greatest live bands out there. Kind of like an The Offspring live shows, obviously not that cool, but still fantastic!

And from what I've heard and read, they played Pennybride Pioneer in it's entirety on the last tours in Canada and Australia. Can't go wrong with that!

dff_punk
04-09-2011, 04:28 PM
If they are really playing so much Pennybridge, maybe that is a sign that the new album will not be as "experimental" and slow like Machine 15? :)
Anyhoo, they are playing in Prague on the 16th, unfortunately I probably cannot go, no money for the trip :/

Tijs
04-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Yeah that was my first thought too, they hardly play any post-Pennybridge songs. Only real exceptions are "Man Or Mouse", "Black Eye" and "Farewell My Hell". Nothing really from Machine 15.

There were some very decent songs on the last three albums, especially Home From Home has grown to one of my personal favorites.

I strongly disagree about Machine 15 being really that slow though. Songs like Detox, Danger For Stranger, Come On, Done Is Done, Turnkey Paradise, Route One, Who's Laughing Now, and even the title song isn't slow at all if you ask me.

dff_punk
04-09-2011, 04:59 PM
That might be a pity, Home From Home is one of my biggest favorites by them, Fingers Crossed might be the best song they have ever written.

Yeah I have not heard Machine 15 for years, so my comment might not have been that objective. But the impression I remember getting from it that it was the slowest Millencolin album, despite of having fast songs on there. And for me, it lacked strong songs, some of them really seemed like filler to me. E.g. I remember "Come On" being really boring, imho.

jacknife737
04-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Nice to see Home From Home getting some love: it's my favorite from these dudes.

Machine 15 was sort of hit and miss for me.