PDA

View Full Version : Lars Ulrich - Mediocre?

Blastero
02-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Am I the only one who, after getting back into Metallica after a breif phase, thinks Lars Ulrich is a profoundly okay drummer? He can hit the drums really fast, but that's about it. I've never heard him do anything really impressive at low volumes, and his timing is pretty bad at some times.

Thomas
02-20-2009, 03:21 PM
No, he really is mediocre. He's not even that fast, too.

He's an entertaining drummer, but he doesn't even stay on tempo well and, well, look for yourselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avgd-i9QGU

chicapowerpunk
02-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Well who said that the returns are always good, "may expire artists and their capabilities.:confused:

Need a bit of practice, no?:D

bighead384
02-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Lars Ulrich's playing ability is VERY mediocre. He writes good drum parts though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFlnXeo4mKQ

If you watch this video and don't agree with the previous statement, you suck at drums and don't know what you're talking about. There's mistakes everywhere.

randman21
02-20-2009, 03:30 PM
EDIT: ^First off, I'm not a drummer, but how do you make mistakes in a drum solo when you're improvising?

"The Day That Never Comes" is the first Metallica song I really heard, and I noticed right away that he has some trouble with timing. And I've heard it other songs, though, for some reason, I kinda enjoy it.

bighead384
02-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl2qocBpM1U&feature=related

Lars Ulrich: Tries too hard to have lists of three things.

"Youtube world...country...land."

metalmania
02-20-2009, 03:33 PM
hehe im sorry but he was the best batterist in trash metal until black album of MetallicA but i have to say that he loves the popularism.
lars was perfect in kill em all,ride the lightning ,in garage,master of puppets,justice for all albums

Thomas
02-20-2009, 03:37 PM
hehe im sorry but he was the best batterist in trash metal until black album of MetallicA but i have to say that he loves the popularism.
lars was perfect in kill em all,ride the lightning ,in garage,master of puppets,justice for all albums

No he wasn't. He certainly hasn't gotten worse than before, and he's pretty bad now.

metalmania
02-20-2009, 03:40 PM
No he wasn't. He certainly hasn't gotten worse than before, and he's pretty bad now.
oh thomas please gimme a prrof about lars;)

Thomas
02-20-2009, 03:43 PM
We did. Two videos. Watch them.

bighead384
02-20-2009, 03:47 PM

Actually, it's the same one only mine's longer. I didn't notice you posted that.

metalmania
02-20-2009, 03:50 PM
hehe ok dude you believe to your belief.what can i do?my view is:lars was perfect until black album or load album ;) so im fan of MetallicA ;) and i can say the realities about Lars and MetallicA.Lars is a part of Metallica and lar's performance did fall with load album.i can accept it;)

bighead384
02-20-2009, 03:51 PM
EDIT: ^First off, I'm not a drummer, but how do you make mistakes in a drum solo when you're improvising?

You can still hear that he established a tempo and fucked up the fills because he couldn't keep up with it. There's also a lot of mishits and inconsistencies.

But either way, I think he writes pretty good drum parts. Sometimes even great. So there you go metalmania.

metalmania
02-20-2009, 04:06 PM
You can still hear that he established a tempo and fucked up the fills because he couldn't keep up with it. There's also a lot of mishits and inconsistencies.

But either way, I think he writes pretty good drum parts. Sometimes even great. So there you go metalmania.
i accept to bighead's views really.i must say it:lets think about 1980's and 1990's years.lets think about trash metal bands and drumers.lars is a leader about trash metal drumers(anthrax,sepultura,pantera,fear factory.....) but his fame lost with metallicA with Load album.
note:remember the napster-MetallicA fights (Lars was keeping the rights of 'tallicA) MetallicA have won the suit but ...........

Free?
02-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Tre Cool - mediocre?

Thomas
02-20-2009, 04:09 PM
drumers(anthrax,sepultura,pantera,fear factory.....)

whoa whoa whoa whoa... Did you just claim that Lars is better than Vinnie Paul?

metalmania
02-20-2009, 04:16 PM
whoa whoa whoa whoa... Did you just claim that Lars is better than Vinnie Paul?
hey thomas!i really like your ideas about music or politic so i dont want ro argue with you.If you like Vinnie's styleİ;what can i say??i cant change your mind and i remind:im a member of 'TallicA so Lars is my fav. ;)
note:the perfect drummers re playing in DEATH METAL!!!!

Thomas
02-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, Lars Ulrich can't keep steady time. Vinnie Paul is one of the greatest metal drummers who ever lived. There's no comparison, no matter who you are.

metalmania
02-20-2009, 04:32 PM
İ accept that he loves fame but its not barrier for his style ;)

Thomas
02-20-2009, 04:34 PM
What does fame have to do with anything?

metalmania
02-20-2009, 04:45 PM
What does fame have to do with anything?
hm.its a good question really but i dont care about to be famous.If you be curious about it;you ask it to famous people in offspring's other threads;) they can answer.and i think: to be famous is not good ;)

Thomas
02-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Well that was....irrelevant...

metalmania
02-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Well that was....irrelevant...
yeah thomas!absolutelly yeah ;) and i just play electro-classic guitar hehe and im not famous,its irrevelant like you said;)
hey thomas whats your fav. bands?

MoonTan™
02-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Lars was a good drummer, he's drumming in the Justice album was Amazing, He was a double Kick king, But these days there are just better drummers, and becides, Lars ulrick is like 40 somthing right?

I could imagine sombody like ron welty or josh freese to be better than lars these days.

metalmania
02-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Lars was a good drummer, he's drumming in the Justice album was Amazing, He was a double Kick king, But these days there are just better drummers, and becides, Lars ulrick is like 40 somthing right?

I could imagine sombody like ron welty or josh freese to be better than lars these days.
AND YOU RE OK DUDE.lars was so good until load album ;) but its not fate of lars.it was fate of MetallicA.lars is gone with MetallicA but trash metal's best drummer was Lars(until 1995)

Cock Joke
02-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Metallica fuckin' ownz!!!

metalmania
02-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Metallica fuckin' ownz!!!
ahahha you re learning the true ;):D

Blastero
02-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Metalmania, it sounds like you're judging Lars based on how much you like Metallica, which is fine, but the issue I raised was with his playing ability, independent of the music he's playing.

metalmania
02-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Metalmania, it sounds like you're judging Lars based on how much you like Metallica, which is fine, but the issue I raised was with his playing ability, independent of the music he's playing.
NO DUDE İM NOT JUDGING HIM cause he doesnt need him ;) yeah he is still playing and i know that he is still loving music(metal derivatives) and i told about MetallicA in other thread ;) i said that MetallicA is the king of trash meTal!but this thread about lars.Lars was perfect 1983-1995 but Metallica's Load -reload albums were not ok so lars was not ok indirectly!is it ok?i say again:Lars were perfect in trash Metal until 1990's ;)

renato piquette
02-20-2009, 08:26 PM
he is mediocre,those videos proved it,plus,he messed with Blur!!what a twat.
metalmania,no offense,but you`re an asshole,you didn`t proved he wasn`t mediocre,plus,you also proved you`re an asshole

Ninty Man
02-20-2009, 09:10 PM
WOW... he's mediocre -just like Dave Grohl-

Josh Freese is GOOD to infinite if you compare him with Lars "I only know my snare" Ulrich

Thomas
02-20-2009, 09:36 PM
As you probably know, I am NOT a fan of Dave Grohl as a drummer. I would say, though, that he's much better than Lars only for the fact that he can keep good time.

Ninty Man
02-21-2009, 12:49 AM
As you probably know, I am NOT a fan of Dave Grohl as a drummer. I would say, though, that he's much better than Lars only for the fact that he can keep good time.

Yeah, I know, well yes he has a good beat... but well, to good and intense beats I keep myself with Nicko McBrain, the drummer of Iron FUCKING Maiden

Grimesy da Offspringfan
02-21-2009, 02:02 AM
He's a dick too often, but as a drummer i think he's pretty good. He lost a lot of reputation as drummer after the shitty snare sound of St. Anger (by the way, the album sounds awesome live, no snare drum, and Kirk always adds some cool solos too). It depends on the drumkit, too. His current drumkit sounds shit compared to the one he used on the ...And justice.. tour, but this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk5s1YqmzmA sounds better than the '89 version of this song

Superdope
02-21-2009, 02:19 AM
I know absolutely nothing about drumming. I do know, however, that I enjoy Lars' drumming. Mediocrity or not.

And Dave too. :o

randman21
02-21-2009, 02:23 AM
i know absolutely nothing about drumming. I do know, however, that i enjoy lars' drumming. Mediocrity or not.

And dave too. :o
+1

findout5
02-21-2009, 02:41 AM
If anything, Lars is an OK drummer. He's not Danny Carey, or Josh Freese - granted! But he does play pretty well. Load and Reload are his best records drummingwise. He plays with a lot of feel, and does those Bonham fills.
So...mediocre?? No fuckin' Way.

Whoever said shit about Ghrol, knows shit about drums!

Offspring-Junkie
02-21-2009, 03:52 AM
I know absolutely nothing about drumming. I do know, however, that I enjoy Lars' drumming. Mediocrity or not.

And Dave too.

I have to admit that's absolutely my point as well.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
02-21-2009, 03:54 AM
He's not Josh Freese...Load and Reload are his best records drummingwise!
I think he's way better than Josh Freese. Any metaldrummer is better than him, just like any real (not Slipknot or Korn) metal guitar player is better than any punk guitarist

Free?
02-21-2009, 04:05 AM
Just because punk does not focus so much on technical complexity as metal, it doesn't make any metal drummer/guitarist automatically better than any punk drummer/guitarist. Bullshit.

renato piquette
02-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Just because punk does not focus so much on technical complexity as metal, it doesn't make any metal drummer/guitarist automatically better than any punk drummer/guitarist. Bullshit.

right,(i`m not keen on drums,but i do play guitar)not for being an offspring fan,but dexter is a great guitsarist,and i`m sure that he`s better than a lot of metal players,also,steve jones from the sex pistols,he may play only 3 chords with the band,but he`s much more than that,i`ve seen him play with other bands and he`s great,also brett gurweitz from bad religion,erik ohlsson from millencolin and/or greg bergdorf from zebrahead are great,there`s specially one man that was jusy a stunning one:john mcgeoch

Gustavo
02-21-2009, 06:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eue2Ev4Nl1k

Have fun! ;)

randman21
02-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Ahh, I remember looking up videos of this kid a few years ago, but I'd forgotten his name. He's awesome.

Blastero
02-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Josh Freese, I think, is exponentially better than Ulrich. If you've ever listened to Hitler Bad Vandals Good by the Vandals, or the last two Offspring records, you'd hear his drumming time is as close to flawless as you can get, and he can not only go fast, but he can do clean rolls and play soft.

Ulrich may be able to overwhelm you with lots of volume and drum sounds with the double pedal, but it's really just a cheap trick. There's nothing special about his drumming ability.

Rooster
02-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Poor Lar$$$$$$. I can't imagine why people hate him *cough-napster-cough*.

His drumming is nothing special, but it can be enjoyable.

mrconeman
02-21-2009, 09:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nuijx8xWdo

Tommy Aldridge. That's a good metal drummer. Lars Ulrich?...that's an average metal drummer.

Thomas
02-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Ulrich may be able to overwhelm you with lots of volume and drum sounds with the double pedal, but it's really just a cheap trick. There's nothing special about his drumming ability.

+1

Even for fast double pedal stuff, he's pretty bad. It's out of time wankery that he does behind his kit and I think it's just the studio magic that really makes the albums sound good.

bighead384
02-21-2009, 10:05 AM
I never understood how he was able to play Dyers Eve so well though. That song aint no cakewalk to play.

LOL. I got my answer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6kb5fvv6_A STUDIO-crazy double bass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qbii6cBz-c&feature=related LIVE- NO double bass!

IamSam
02-21-2009, 10:15 AM
And then there is this guy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3vLQ7iCz94)

bighead384
02-21-2009, 10:26 AM
And then there is this guy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3vLQ7iCz94)

That guy is a master of doing shit that's not really all that hard (for the most part), but sounds really complex. And just really good as well, I'm not trying to knock him.

IamSam
02-21-2009, 10:47 AM
That guy is a master of doing shit that's not really all that hard (for the most part), but sounds really complex. And just really good as well, I'm not trying to knock him.

I know. I'm just saying it looks like fun shit.

m.offspring.r
02-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Remember: Lars is not a drummer, is a tennis player :D

m.offspring.r
02-21-2009, 02:37 PM
I never understood how he was able to play Dyers Eve so well though. That song aint no cakewalk to play.

LOL. I got my answer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6kb5fvv6_A STUDIO-crazy double bass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qbii6cBz-c&feature=related LIVE- NO double bass!

In the past, Lars be sought quickly. Currently is seeking a groove :P

Sorry my english... Google translation :D

MoonTan™
02-21-2009, 03:54 PM
right,(i`m not keen on drums,but i do play guitar)not for being an offspring fan,but dexter is a great guitsarist,and i`m sure that he`s better than a lot of metal players,also,steve jones from the sex pistols,he may play only 3 chords with the band,but he`s much more than that,i`ve seen him play with other bands and he`s great,also brett gurweitz from bad religion,erik ohlsson from millencolin and/or greg bergdorf from zebrahead are great,there`s specially one man that was jusy a stunning one:john mcgeoch

Gawd i'd SOOO love to see The Offspring do a cover of Master of puppets, With dexter on lead, but then again they'd probaly just do another slide guitar solo...

Thomas
02-21-2009, 08:52 PM
In the past, Lars be sought quickly. Currently is seeking a groove :P

Then he failed massively.

Outerspaceman21
02-21-2009, 09:28 PM
I don't mind his drumming style, but I agree with Thomas. He is pretty mediocre compared to the drummers I like and admire. I'm not a drummer and I think I would be terrible if I tried, but I can see a drummer when I see them. it's because of all the years I spent in marching band.

Ninty Man
02-22-2009, 06:29 PM
I think he's way better than Josh Freese. Any metaldrummer is better than him, just like any real (not Slipknot or Korn) metal guitar player is better than any punk guitarist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHUhEmp38ks

Just a fact: RAMONES -punk- RAPE DRAGONFORCE ASS