PDA

View Full Version : Best Song of "Appeal to reason"

zsk
02-22-2009, 01:05 PM
what's the best song of the new album "Appeal to reason" by Rise Against
-and which song should be the next single?

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-22-2009, 01:54 PM
"Savior" because it's so damn catchy. "Hero Of War" is 4 years too late. Just another typical run-of-the-mill anti-war song.

0r4ng3
02-22-2009, 02:00 PM
My two favorites at the moment are actually both Historia Calamitatum and Elective Amnesia. Looks like I can't participate in the poll.

I predict the next single will be the next worst song on the album that already isn't a single. Probably Hero Of War or The Strength To Go On.

Free?
02-22-2009, 02:08 PM
He said, ďSon,
Have you see the world?
Well, what would you say
If I said that you could?
Just carry this gun and youíll even get paid.Ē
I said, ďThat sounds pretty good.Ē

Black leather boots
Spit-shined so bright
They cut off my hair but it looked alright
We marched and we sang
We all became friends
As we learned how to fight

A hero of war
Yeah thatís what Iíll be
And when I come home
Theyíll be damn proud of me
Iíll carry this flag
To the grave if I must
Because itís flag that I love
And a flag that I trust

I kicked in the door
I yelled my commands
The children, they cried
But I got my man
We took him away
A bag over his face
From his family and his friends

They took off his clothes
They pissed in his hands
I told them to stop
But then I joined in
We beat him with guns
And batons not just once
But again and again

A hero of war
Yeah thatís what Iíll be
And when I come home
Theyíll be damn proud of me
Iíll carry this flag
To the grave if I must
Because itís flag that I love
And a flag that I trust

She walked through bullets and haze
I asked her to stop
I begged her to stay
But she pressed on
So I lifted my gun
And I fired away

The shells jumped through the smoke
And into the sand
That the blood now had soaked
She collapsed with a flag in her hand
A flag white as snow

A hero of war
Is that what the see
Just medals and scars
So damn proud of me
And I brought home that flag
Now it gathers dust
But itís a flag that I love
Itís the only flag I trust

He said, ďSon, have you seen the world? Well what would you say, if I said that you could?Ē

It's not an anti-war song, it's more like a story of a soldier, his bitter experience and recognizing what mistakes he went through while serving, how he changed his mind. I can't see how it's a one of the worst, really :/

Outerspaceman21
02-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Hands down Whereabouts Unknown, but I also really like Entertainment, The Dirt Whispered and Savior. I love the CD, as a matter of fact.

I like Whereabouts Unknown because it's just awesome. I love the riff, the lyrics and is the perfect closer.

Alison
02-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Fuck! i meant to pick Re-Education through labour, but it clicked The dirt whispered i think...

And yeah, it was between Re-Education, Hero of War, and Whereabouts Unknown for me.

Alison
02-22-2009, 02:23 PM
It's not an anti-war song, it's more like a story of a soldier, his bitter experience and recognizing what mistakes he went through while serving, how he changed his mind. I can't see how it's a one of the worst, really :/

I would defo have thought it's anti-war...seen as besides Rise Against being against war and all that, the last chorus refers to the white flag for peace...and how now it's the only flag he trusts?
And the description of the whole insensitivity of war to peoples friends, family, dignity.
Yes? No?

0r4ng3
02-22-2009, 02:32 PM
I can't see how it's a one of the worst, really :/
I know I worded that wrong. Hero Of War actually is one of my favorites, but that's definitely the song that would get the biggest "OMG SELLOUTZ" response from the crowd at large. It's one of the likely singles, because it sounds the most like one.

Free?
02-22-2009, 02:56 PM
I would defo have thought it's anti-war...seen as besides Rise Against being against war and all that, the last chorus refers to the white flag for peace...and how now it's the only flag he trusts?
And the description of the whole insensitivity of war to peoples friends, family, dignity.
Yes? No?
It doesn't focus on anti-war, but on wrong things you have to deal with while you're a soldier. I can't even call it anti-army, but it would be the closest definition imo. I didn't mean it like it's totally not anti-war. It's not anti-war in the first place. He trusted [let's say American] flag, in the end he trusts the white flag. He regrets about what he went through, status of hero of war doesn't make him feel any better.

I know I worded that wrong. Hero Of War actually is one of my favorites, but that's definitely the song that would get the biggest "OMG SELLOUTZ" response from the crowd at large. It's one of the likely singles, because it sounds the most like one.

Yeah, it most definitely will be a single if you're asking me. I'm not sure about SELLOUTZ part, they had Swing Life Away and Roadside and they did fine.

Alison
02-22-2009, 03:15 PM
It doesn't focus on anti-war, but on wrong things you have to deal with while you're a soldier. I can't even call it anti-army, but it would be the closest definition imo. I didn't mean it like it's totally not anti-war. It's not anti-war in the first place. He trusted [let's say American] flag, in the end he trusts the white flag. He regrets about what he went through, status of hero of war doesn't make him feel any better.

I agree with you with all of that. But i still do think overall, it's a bit of an anti-war song. He regrets what he went through as you said...doubting his previous view of war? It may not directly be anti-war, but it's not very neutral either.

Alex101
02-22-2009, 03:59 PM
I want either "Collapse (Post-Amerika)" or "Long Forgotten Sons" to be the next single.

Ninty Man
02-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Well... best song??? I guess is between the first half of the album (collapse, lost, re education, the dirt, kotov) and well... I really like the strength, entertainment, from heads unworthy.

MMM... Savior is awesome, and I think it should be the next single. Audience of one I tought it was lame, but it has growth on me, but I think that the last two are meh, and hero of war is the worst.

cool 2 hate 681
02-22-2009, 07:20 PM
i voted for the dirt whispered

Free?
02-23-2009, 02:29 AM
I agree with you with all of that. But i still do think overall, it's a bit of an anti-war song. He regrets what he went through as you said...doubting his previous view of war? It may not directly be anti-war, but it's not very neutral either.

Yep, I agree. It definitely has some anti-war context, it's not just the main and the only thing the song is about. It's more like a "medals that burden" song.

zsk
02-23-2009, 09:29 AM
i voted for the dirt whispered

wow i,too,i didn't think that it's as that liked
maybe it'll be the next single

Alison
02-24-2009, 03:50 AM
wow i,too,i didn't think that it's as that liked
maybe it'll be the next single

i accidentally voted for it...so don't get too excited :p

MaF
02-25-2009, 12:05 PM
i voted for Collapse... "of the world to proud to admit our mistakes..."

Saviour is realy very catchy, but there's no that cool moment of "...crashin into the ground as we all fall from grace" =) Read my mind...

hero of war's very emotional-yara-yara-yara and touches the soul, but sttil it came too late, we've alreday got Tehran =)

Kotov syndrom just make me laugh

One of the other memorable songs is Entertainment...

Outerspaceman21
02-25-2009, 12:39 PM
I think the next single should be Entertainment, Savior or Whereabouts Unknown. My favorites of the album, of course.

Budzy
02-26-2009, 12:36 AM
It kills me not to know this but I've all but just forgotten, what the color of her eyes were, and her scars or how she got them. As the tellnig signs of age rains down a single tear is droppin', to the valleys of an aging face that this world has forgotteeeeeeeeeeeeennnnn.

That's my vote anyways.

But From Heads Unworthy comes very close.

Also, did I mention I'm seeing them in a months time?
Yeah, thought I'd just remind you all :D

dff_punk
02-26-2009, 05:53 AM
hero of war's very emotional-yara-yara-yara and touches the soul, but sttil it came too late, we've alreday got Tehran =)

Lolololol!!! :D I think I love you!