PDA

View Full Version : Forever And A Day cover with Little_Miss_1565 on vocals

Pages : [1] 2

Free?
02-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Who wants to perform Forever And A Day with Little_Miss_1565 on vocals?
How it all started [post #47]. (http://offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36600&page=5)

What do we need? A recorded, mixed and prepared instrumental track of the song.
More specifically: Drums, bass, guitar and guitar solo. Also someone who's good at mixing separate tracks into composition.

Please be professional and responsible, don't take the work if you aren't sure that you can make it.
Also, it would be great if the tracks recording process won't take too long. It's a bad manner to make a lady wait.

So if you're interested, let us know, what instrument can you play and let's get the stuff done!

Don't miss your chance! And don't waste our chance to hear Sarah singing!

Static_Martyr
02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Listening to it right now (that's not one I'm really familiar with); it seems pretty easy on guitar. If you guys can set up a drum track first, I'd be glad to do the rhythm and/or solo, but it might be a couple of days (maybe as long as a week) before I'm free to do it (got band practice the next couple of days).

If you're cool with that, then sign me up (and make sure to PM me or something once you have the drums set up). I'd offer to do drums, but (A) I suck at playing Offspring songs on drums, and (B) my drums are really low-quality because I don't have the right equipment to directly sample them into my computer.

Outerspaceman21
02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm down too, but I got school as my first priority, so I wouldn't be as committed to it as I want to be. I have a mic, a recording program and I could probably pull off rhthym guitar. I would need to learn the song, though, and I do need a drum track to play along. I can't do it without a set tempo of something to play along with.

randman21
02-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Put me down as an alternate. I've been highly unmotivated to produce any kind of music for the few weeks, but I'll definitely do it if anyone else is taking too long. Rhythm guitar, that is. It is literally the easiest Offspring song to play, so anyone trying to learn it shouldn't have too much trouble. Give it a try!

Little_Miss_1565
02-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Hahaha! This will be fun. And interesting -- the song is a little high for me. ;) Bring it on, guys!

jacknife737
02-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Ha! This seems like a really cool idea; i can't wait to hear the final result!

Homer
02-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Basically, I can do ALL of the instruments. Drums, Bass, and Guitar.

I could also use my mixin' skills to mix it all down.

randman21
02-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Hahaha! This will be fun. And interesting -- the song is a little high for me. ;) Bring it on, guys!
Haha, I was wondering if it would a little high. I would suggest having a few drinks before recording.

Little_Miss_1565
02-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Haha, I was wondering if it would a little high. I would suggest having a few drinks before recording.

I feel like my voice gets lower the more whiskey I drink. :(

SK8rocka
02-23-2009, 10:31 PM
I know the solo perfectly, I'll be happy to work on that.....

Free?
02-24-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm glad to see the responses :].
So we have some guitarists and Homer that can do ALL the instruments and mixing. Great!

How will we choose whose guitar is going to be used? Simple.
Homer, can you record drums+bass track as the base for the song and upload it, so anyone who's willing to contribute can use it to record their guitars? Of course, feel free to record your own guitar as well if you want. We'll end up with several instrumental versions (that probably will require some final mixing), then we let 1565 to decide, which one she prefers to work with. How do you like it like that?

Also, if any other guitarist/bassist/drummer is interested to participate, say it!

And feel free to comment and suggest!

Little_Miss_1565
02-24-2009, 10:50 AM
How about you guys decide amongst yourselves what version is more awesome and I'll sing over whatever you decide? :)

Chances are my vocals are going to sound pretty hilariously bad since the song is towards the higher end of my range, so don't break yo'self. ;)

bighead384
02-24-2009, 10:53 AM
How are so many of you able to produce high quality recordings? I was always under the impression that you had to fork out all this money for software and equipment. Is there a cheap way to get decent recordings?

Outerspaceman21
02-24-2009, 11:22 AM
How are so many of you able to produce high quality recordings? I was always under the impression that you had to fork out all this money for software and equipment. Is there a cheap way to get decent recordings?

I got this program that is alright if you are a cheap DIY. It's called Audacity.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It's what I use to record the stuff on my music profile.

myspace.com/thenoose0621

Free?
02-24-2009, 12:52 PM
How about you guys decide amongst yourselves what version is more awesome and I'll sing over whatever you decide? :)

Chances are my vocals are going to sound pretty hilariously bad since the song is towards the higher end of my range, so don't break yo'self. ;)

Okay, let's see how it all turns out. I don't wanna be the one who decides tho :P. (I have a feeling that we'll end up with asking your decision anyway ;P)

MoonTan™
02-24-2009, 01:11 PM

I Spent $150 On Recording Software, MAGIX Music Maker 14.

Static_Martyr
02-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Really, all I would need to do is the solo. That, I could record in probably 10-15 minutes counting retakes. No trouble at all~

So if someone else wants to do rhythm or something, I can solo over it. Also, solos aren't as important fidelity-wise (in my experience, they're WAY easier to fit into the mix than multiple rhythm guitars), so as long as I clean out the fuzz and hiss and whatnot, my solo will be fairly easy to mix in regardless of the settings I use.

I mean, unless someone else really wanted to do the solo. I do already have a lot of work on covers as is, so I wouldn't have a beef if someone else wanted a turn.

Outerspaceman21
02-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Really, all I would need to do is the solo. That, I could record in probably 10-15 minutes counting retakes. No trouble at all~

So if someone else wants to do rhythm or something, I can solo over it. Also, solos aren't as important fidelity-wise (in my experience, they're WAY easier to fit into the mix than multiple rhythm guitars), so as long as I clean out the fuzz and hiss and whatnot, my solo will be fairly easy to mix in regardless of the settings I use.

I mean, unless someone else really wanted to do the solo. I do already have a lot of work on covers as is, so I wouldn't have a beef if someone else wanted a turn.

Alright, I'll get started on the rhythm section on friday. I got school until 10. I start learning and practing until I get the drum and bass tracks. Then we'll see which version sounds better (whether or not there are multiple versions)

JohnnyNemesis
02-25-2009, 10:28 AM
I've been using Audacity for years since it's all I can afford (it costs $0), and even though it gets the job done, it's really not a high quality program at all...I love it, but the ultimate quality of the recordings is pretty danged low...

I can't fucking wait to hear this cover, hehehe

_Lost_
02-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Ricky, personally I've had much better luck with the quality of Garageband. I figured out how to increase the bit rate for recording and since I got my new mic its great. I dislike audacity and only have it so Brianna could send me in progress stuff for me to work on. What I really want is Logic... but thats a $500 program... one of these days...

Llamas
02-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Audacity is really not a very great program for recording music. I actually have it because of its uses as a language and pronunciation tool for teaching. I also use it for recording music just because it's so damn easy to use. I used to have a much better quality program, but I can't seem to find it again ever since I got my laptop. I think a friend had given it to me and it's not actually available for free anymore... so I'm sort of stuck using what I've got.

JohnnyNemesis
02-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Yeah, it's really just a barebones thing, not high quality at all. I used to use GarageBand, but never bothered using it for recording from outside sources...but now I wanna...

And Karin, don't buy Logic. I can help you.

mrconeman
02-25-2009, 01:25 PM
What the fuck is with Audacity's recording delay too, I mean really.

coke_a_holic
02-25-2009, 02:31 PM

Whoa there, how's this? I was considering getting Logic, myself because I currently do everything over garageband and it kinda really sucks.

_Lost_
02-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Whoa there, how's this? I was considering getting Logic, myself because I currently do everything over garageband and it kinda really sucks.
It does, but its sooo much better than a lot of the other stuff I've used. Its just a little too limited for me.

Yeah, it's really just a barebones thing, not high quality at all. I used to use GarageBand, but never bothered using it for recording from outside sources...but now I wanna...

It really isn't too bad for recording overall. And thanks Ricky. :)

JohnnyNemesis
02-25-2009, 03:02 PM
I might be able to help you as well!

drummerbecca
02-25-2009, 03:10 PM
I feel like my voice gets lower the more whiskey I drink. :(

I feel your pain....

Not the whisky part, just the low voice part.

bighead384
02-25-2009, 03:10 PM
What about microphones? How much is a decent microphone?

Homer
02-25-2009, 03:12 PM
My mic cost me about 80 bucks.

But anyways, yeah, I'll probably get a bass and drum track by the end of the week. Don't rush me, I'm busy!

bighead384
02-25-2009, 03:14 PM
I wish I had a mic and I could record drums, but I can't due to living in an apartment. It sucks, cause I know I could play this song perfect. Actually, probably better than the recording. Ron does okay but he sounds a little tired or something on the recording.

Homer
02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Well, I plan on using a drum machine...

drummerbecca
02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
What about microphones? How much is a decent microphone?

This is such a typical answer but for a good all-round mic, go for SM57 or SM58. Everyone says that, but there's a reason for it. They cost about £90 here so I'm guessing they're maybe about $120. Totally worth it though.

_Lost_
02-25-2009, 03:16 PM
I've got a cheap $30 mice, but it does a decent job. Its not like I'm trying to sound like I'm in a studio or anything.

randman21
02-25-2009, 05:42 PM
This is such a typical answer but for a good all-round mic, go for SM57 or SM58. Everyone says that, but there's a reason for it. They cost about £90 here so I'm guessing they're maybe about $120. Totally worth it though.
I've got an SM57, and it costs $100, if you already have an XLR cable.

disclaimer_07
02-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Audacity is really not a very great program for recording music. I actually have it because of its uses as a language and pronunciation tool for teaching. I also use it for recording music just because it's so damn easy to use. I used to have a much better quality program, but I can't seem to find it again ever since I got my laptop. I think a friend had given it to me and it's not actually available for free anymore... so I'm sort of stuck using what I've got.

It really doesn't matter what program you use for recording. Everything depends on your sound card and recording equipment. If you have a crappy mic and a lousy sound card, then even Cakewalk Sonar is not going to help.

Llamas
02-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Cakewalk Sonar
OMG that's the program I had. :( :( It honestly gave me better recordings than I get now...

disclaimer_07
02-25-2009, 06:17 PM
OMG that's the program I had. :( :( It honestly gave me better recordings than I get now...

Go download it then. :P

But seriously I doubt that recording has anything to do with the program you're using. Sure you can apply a variety of filters afterwards, and that's exactly when Cakewalk Sonar and similar programs come into play.

Llamas
02-25-2009, 06:20 PM
It's expensive. Audacity is free.

Also I looked it up, and it was a version of Cakewalk, but not Sonar.

disclaimer_07
02-25-2009, 06:31 PM
But we're on the friggin' Internet, aren't we? :P

Seriously though, Audacity is not as bad as it may seem if handled with care.

_Lost_
02-25-2009, 06:35 PM
It really doesn't matter what program you use for recording. Everything depends on your sound card and recording equipment. If you have a crappy mic and a lousy sound card, then even Cakewalk Sonar is not going to help.

D, I know this kind of thing is one of your fun time interests and you know a hell of a lot more about it than I will ever know, but this is wrong. With a lot of programs, you are really limited with how high you can set the bit rate. I have Garageband on the highest setting and for recording, its only 24 bits. Its literally impossible for me to make a track more than a couple mb unless its like a 30 minute track.

disclaimer_07
02-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Are you sure you're not confusing bitrate with bit-depth?

_Lost_
02-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Are you sure you're not confusing bitrate with bit-depth?

its bit-depth not bit rate, but also bit rate is really low. final mixing can't be set higher than 320 recordings aren't even that high.

disclaimer_07
02-26-2009, 01:48 AM
Well, maybe I wasn't precise. I was talking about the process of sound-mapping, you're talking about the output format limitations in Garageband. As long as you can export your recording as a wave file, there should be no difference at all.

Ryder1234
02-27-2009, 05:08 PM
You know what? I might take a shot at the rhythm guitar. It probably wont be very good but I'll try and you guys can judge it. This won't be happening any time soon though, maybe like next month if this isn't done.

Outerspaceman21
02-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Sorry, guys, I have to withdraw my name from the rhthym guitar list. I can't do it.

randman21
02-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Sorry, guys, I have to withdraw my name from the rhthym guitar list. I can't do it.
You mean you can't or you won't? Not trying to be dick. Based on some of your stuff, I know you can play that.

Static_Martyr
02-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Today 07:23 PM
Outerspaceman21

Today 06:08 PM
Ryder1234 You know what? I might take a shot at the rhythm guitar. It probably wont be very good but I'll try and you guys can judge it. This won't be happening any time soon though, maybe like next month if this isn't done.

Wow, that was mighty convenient timing! Touche.

Outerspaceman21
02-27-2009, 07:56 PM
You mean you can't or you won't? Not trying to be dick. Based on some of your stuff, I know you can play that.

I can play it, but A) I got my time devoted to school right now, B) I really want to concentrate on my short stories, C) and eveyone hates Audacity, and thats my program that I use, so... yeah...

randman21
02-27-2009, 08:02 PM
In my experience, a great majority of people loves Audacity, but yeah, I gotcha.

_Lost_
02-27-2009, 08:26 PM
C) and eveyone hates Audacity, and thats my program that I use, so... yeah...

hahahahaha! a lot of people that i've done the track sharing type thing with use audacity. theres nothing wrong with its use...

Outerspaceman21
02-27-2009, 10:36 PM
hahahahaha! a lot of people that i've done the track sharing type thing with use audacity. theres nothing wrong with its use...

Yeah, I know. And according to my friend, he's impressed with the quality that I pull off. He used it with his old band and was the reason why I picked it up.

So yeah, sorry I can't participate. I'll be a back-up, but I have other stuff going on. Just ask me if things go wrong and i'll do what I can.

MoonTan™
02-28-2009, 08:25 PM
My mate has a full miced pearl drumkit, i have a $180 microphone, AKR.

Free?
03-20-2009, 04:42 AM
Bump *cough*.

Rutegard
03-20-2009, 05:09 AM
hello. my name is not rutegard, im an outsider, and how is this project going so far?

edit: okay....probably not that much going on.....

Free?
06-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Since we went nowhere waiting for Homer's drums and bass, I dare some of you to make another drum track for Forever And A Day (Tim, Adriann, Randy, Becca, Markku, Thibault, Mike... anyone(!), I'm looking at you!), so we could make the further progress.

Just imagine how awesome it will be when after XX years you could brag to your grandchildren how once upon a time you've made a cover with Sarah. Isn't it worth a little effort? ;P

Come on, ladies and gentlemen, let's make the head mod sing to our(!!!) song! She's still up for that!

:)

ad8
06-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Since we went nowhere waiting for Homer's drums and bass, I dare some of you to make another drum track for Forever And A Day (Tim, Adriann, Randy, Becca, Markku, Thibault, Mike... anyone(!), I'm looking at you!), so we could make the further progress.

Just imagine how awesome it will be when after XX years you could brag to your grandchildren how once upon a time you've made a cover with Sarah. Isn't it worth a little effort? ;P

Come on, ladies and gentlemen, let's make the head mod sing to our(!!!) song! She's still up for that!

:)
I could do the drum track, but... cough... I suppose you meant Adrian when you said Adriann, didn't you?;)

Free?
06-01-2009, 11:35 AM
I could do the drum track, but... cough... I suppose you meant Adrian when you said Adriann, didn't you?;)

Ahh fantasticc! Pleasee do that!

P.S.: Somethingg wrongg withh mah keyboardd!!! :rolleyes:

Outerspaceman21
06-01-2009, 12:24 PM
My schedule is going to free itself up in a week or so. I can participate.

Homer
06-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Ok, I'll admit, I completely forgot about this.

I'll get a drumtrack going, in fact I've already started one. Just, next time PM me or something if you're waiting, because I don't browse through the hundreds of pages that make up these forums anymore.

But yeah, I'll get it done, don't worry!

ad8
06-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Ok, I'll admit, I completely forgot about this.

I'll get a drumtrack going, in fact I've already started one. Just, next time PM me or something if you're waiting, because I don't browse through the hundreds of pages that make up these forums anymore.

But yeah, I'll get it done, don't worry!

My drumtrack is finished already, so we can use mine in case you aren't done with yours yet.

ad8
06-01-2009, 03:30 PM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CY0A58PD
This is my drum track. I guess Homers will have a better quality, but in case he hasn't finished yet you can try this one out and say if it's good enough or not.

Outerspaceman21
06-01-2009, 05:42 PM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CY0A58PD
This is my drum track. I guess Homers will have a better quality, but in case he hasn't finished yet you can try this one out and say if it's good enough or not.

Thats actually not bad.

Ryder1234
06-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Static, are you going to be doing the rhythm or is it all mine?

EDIT: ad8's drums are really good! I think it's just my headphones, but it sounds like all the cymbals (hi-hats, ride, and crash) are too quiet

Free?
06-02-2009, 01:51 AM
Adrian, you're a fucking machine (c)!

Bass and guitars now plix.

Also, guyses, don't hesitate or wait if want to contribute ANYTHING (small donations on my bank account are welcome ;P) if you're really interested, say it!

Feel free to use the drumtrack our German friend made.

ad8
06-02-2009, 03:02 AM
fruity loops, you're a fucking machine (c)!
fixed :D

Rutegard
06-02-2009, 04:37 AM
heeyy

nice to know this one is moving :)

randman21
06-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Adrian, you're a fucking machine (c)!

Haha, nice. :)

If no one else has done a rhythm guitar (as I believe there should be two) part in a couple of days, I'll go ahead and do one.

Ryder1234
06-02-2009, 11:45 AM
I should be able do the rythm today, once I get home from school.

Homer
06-02-2009, 03:22 PM
So... should I make a drum track?

ad8
06-02-2009, 03:30 PM
So... should I make a drum track?
I uploaded one and it seems to be ok for the song, so I don't think you need to do another one.

Static_Martyr
06-02-2009, 03:38 PM
I can do any guitars/bass that you need, if you'd like, but if you'd rather do them yoursel(f)(ves), that's cool, too. Just let me know what needs doing.

Although I'd really, really like to do the solo~

Free?
06-02-2009, 04:47 PM
I can do any guitars/bass that you need, if you'd like, but if you'd rather do them yoursel(f)(ves), that's cool, too. Just let me know what needs doing.

Although I'd really, really like to do the solo~

Solo is yours. :)

I think we should stick with the previous plan which was about making a drum-bass track so anyone who wants could record their guitars using it.

So, who's gonna do bass?

Homer
06-02-2009, 06:11 PM
I can do bass.

Outerspaceman21
06-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Anyone tell Little Miss this thread is alive again?

Static_Martyr
06-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Solo is yours.

:D

P.S. Just let me know when the drums are done. I don't need a rhythm track, I just need a drum track (don't even really need a bass track, although if you plan on doing anything weird on the strum pattern, it might be good to stick a bass track on there).

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot I need a bass track so I can tell where the solo goes 0.0 Don't know the song itself that well. I just know the solo 'cause it is freaking sweet (and I deliberately learned it when you guys first started this thread, whenever that was).

Little_Miss_1565
06-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Anyone tell Little Miss this thread is alive again?

Yes and I'm watching it. :)

Ryder1234
06-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Sorry no guitar today, had company over. Tomorrow though.

Homer
06-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Okay, so my guitarist's bass that I had been borrowing for months now has been taken back.

No bass from me, though I can still do guitar, backing vocals, and mixing easily.

ad8
06-03-2009, 01:44 AM
All right, so I'll do the bass and upload it with the (new) drum track, ok?

Free?
06-03-2009, 02:53 AM
All right, so I'll do the bass and upload it with the (new) drum track, ok?

Yes, please do so. Then we'll see what will happen with guitar tracks and everything else. Btw, shouldn't there be 2 rhythm guitars for "thicker" sound?

Also, no one wanted to take the mixing job so far, I guess it's yours, Homer!

ad8
06-03-2009, 04:11 AM
Yes, please do so. Then we'll see what will happen with guitar tracks and everything else. Btw, shouldn't there be 2 rhythm guitars for "thicker" sound?

Also, no one wanted to take the mixing job so far, I guess it's yours, Homer!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PPYYDIQO

...yes, I have absolutely no life:rolleyes::D

Free?
06-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Okay, in case someone haven't noticed, this is the drums+bass track from our uber robot.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PPYYDIQO
Guitarists, your turn now.

Ryder1234
06-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Oh, it's drums and bass? I was under the impression it was just the bass and was waiting for a mix. I'll see what I can do today I'm going skimboarding in like an hour so if I have anytime, I will try, but I probably wont be able to today, I'll do it tomorrow for sure. Then you can do the solo static (or today if you want).

Static_Martyr
06-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Ah, I just now saw this. I gotta go to bed now (work early tomorrow), but I'll try to do it tomorrow. Worst case scenario, it shouldn't be any later than Saturday; the damn thing is like 20 seconds, so if I can just get like thirty minutes to myself between now and then, I'll be able to do it for sure :)

Ryder1234
06-03-2009, 09:42 PM
i can do it today it'll take a bit

Homer
06-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Someone send me both the drum and bass tracks, I'll begin the mixing!

Also, two rhythms is ideal, but they should be made with the same guitar.

Ryder1234
06-03-2009, 11:16 PM
I can do 2 rythms, don't know how good it'll come out but i'll do my best

couldnt tonight my father was working on renovations in my room

ad8
06-04-2009, 02:28 AM
Someone send me both the drum and bass tracks, I'll begin the mixing!

Also, two rhythms is ideal, but they should be made with the same guitar.

I recorded the bass over the drum track, so there is one track with drums and bass. I mixed it already but if you want to have separate drum and bass tracks, just post it here.

Homer
06-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah, it'd be easier if I had both separate tracks.

Ryder1234
06-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I've just finished the rhythm, uploading now. Unfortunately I couldn't get two separate guitar tracks to match up. It's only one rhythm.

http://rapidshare.com/files/240930472/Forever_and_a_day_rythym.mp3.html

randman21
06-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Doesn't the original use two different guitars for the rhythm tracks anyway?

Ryder1234
06-04-2009, 10:19 PM
yeah it does. it'll be fine though

randman21
06-04-2009, 10:23 PM
yeah it does. it'll be fine though
Hehe, that wasn't a reply to you. My bad.

Ryder1234
06-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Oh haha. It's cool

Static_Martyr
06-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Alright, here's yer solo:

Forever And A Day (solo) = http://www.sendspace.com/file/qsr6t3

I left the silence at the beginning of the track (before the solo) because I had it perfectly synced with the drum track. I didn't know if you'd want it that way for mixing, but I figured it's easier this way. And if you don't like it, you can always chop off the silent portion~

Anyways, sorry it took so long. Recording dragged on longer than normal on Friday, and I ended up getting to bed late, the getting up late Saturday, and by the time I got all my shit together it was time to go to bed again :mad: But I got up first thing and did it this morning, so yah!

ad8
06-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Sorry, I totally forgot about this! Here's the first part of my contribution:
Forever and a Day bass line: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QL6BVEEV
Forever and a Day drums: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O0442WY0

Static_Martyr
06-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Is that you on the bass track, ad8? Because it's kickass~

ad8
06-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Is that you on the bass track, ad8? Because it's kickass~

Yeah, it's me. Thank you:)

Homer
06-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Alright, so I'm in the process of mixing it all, and it's all coming together nicely, except for Ryder's guitar. The problem is that the recording is clipping insanely as it was recorded too loudly, and there's only one track when there should be too.

The playing's good, don't get me wrong, but I might just take the time to record the guitar tracks myself.

Static_Martyr
06-09-2009, 03:11 PM
I could try to use CoolEdit's clip reduction feature; that's what I used when I recorded the solo to keep the rhythm from overwhelming the rest of the mix in the background of the solo track. It'll reduce the quality some, but with some clever mixing nobody will notice (and I'm sure you're a better mixer than I am 0.0).

Here's a sample: http://www.sendspace.com/file/8gaa9j

Ryder1234
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
I could also re-record them.

I couldn't get 2 tracks to match when i tried. Should I record one track, then mix it with the drums and record the second one to that? I was just trying to record the second rhythm track along to the first by itself, but it didn't work.

Static_Martyr
06-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Or that 0.0

Ryder1234
06-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Haha :)

Homer, if I'm not mistaken you have the same amp as me (Line 6 Spider II), right? If I can't get 2 rhythm tracks lined up properly, do you think you'd be able to get a similar enough tone to what I'll have if I tell you my setup (Drive, Treble etc.), and record a second rhythm?

Static_Martyr
06-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Well, actually, I just have a little tiny 40-watt Marshall practice amp without many settings....just "gain," "volume," and "countour."

Getting them to sound similar enough wouldn't be too bad....it's the recording quality that distinguishes them, I think. Yours comes in rather crisp and clear, I've noticed, whereas mine sounds a bit distant due to my mixer (it's actually not made for this precise level of mixing, so it's very difficult to get it to a setting that doesn't either overload the signal or drop it out completely). Also, I'd need to learn the rhythm to this song, which I haven't done yet.

But I mean, if it becomes necessary, yeah, I'd be glad to give it a shot. Just lemme know what you need me to do and I'll get on it the next day when I have some time.

Ryder1234
06-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Well, actually, I just have a little tiny 40-watt Marshall practice amp without many settings....just "gain," "volume," and "countour.".....

Haha, I was talking to Homer, but you could try too :)

Also, about it being clear, I could understand now with my new mic, but my old one was only $20, and I didn't even have a mixer or preamp then. Now I've got a $155 mic and a fairly good preamp.

Static_Martyr
06-09-2009, 05:59 PM
OH SNAP! I missed that part. I see it now. My bad :eek:

Ryder1234
06-09-2009, 06:23 PM
hehe .

Homer
06-09-2009, 06:37 PM
I could try to match your sound, but even then, the track you recorded clips a ton. It's pretty much just a brick if you were to import it into Audacity, or something similar.

Basically, if you want to re-record it, then turn your volume down. You don't have to, though, since I could just record two guitars. I'd still give you much credit for the guitar tracks, as I've kinda learned a new way of playing the riff through your recording.

Ryder1234
06-09-2009, 07:49 PM
I do want to play the guitar, or at least one of the tracks. I can easily turn down the volume, I was aware of he loudness when I uploaded it but I was hoping something could be done about it. I'll still record at least one track either way.

I'll ask again though, since it's caused me touble in the past. To get the two tracks to match up, should I mix the first track in with the drums and bass when i record the second, so that i have a better idea of the timing, or does it not matter if i record along to the first track alone? Or, is it just about how well i can get it to match when i record? (I'd imagine that's gonna be a part of it, but does the other two things make any difference?)

Homer
06-09-2009, 07:53 PM
You want to take the raw drum and bass track, and record with those. It doesn't matter if you record the second guitar with the first playing.

Ryder1234
06-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I knew to record the first on with the drums and bass, just wasn't sure about the second. I'll go start now.

EDIT: If you have an Ibanez Tube Screamer, then that would make it a bit easier to match my sound if it comes to that. Although you could get pretty close on the clean channel with the distortion boost feature.

Ryder1234
06-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm done the guitars. I only did end up doing one rhythm, so I guess Homer you can do a second one. The fills are separate files this time, and there's two of them, so you shouldn't need to do those.

Rhythm:
http://rapidshare.com/files/242852434/forever_rhythm.mp3.html

Distorted Fills:
http://rapidshare.com/files/242851526/forever_fills_dist.mp3.html

Clean Fills:
http://rapidshare.com/files/242849995/forever_fills_clean.mp3.html

Ryder1234
06-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Hey let's finish this

Homer
06-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I need to know what the knobs should be at for the guitar.

Ryder1234
06-12-2009, 04:00 PM
http://offspring.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=426&pictureid=3768

These are the settings I used. Just so you know I have distortion boost turned on on the amp. If you have any overdrive pedal you might be able to get close but I used a Ibanez Tubescreamer.

On the guitar itself the knobs are at full.

Homer
06-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Alright, I pretty much have everything set for recording vocals.

But, ad8, can you re-upload the drums and bass without the fade-out?

ad8
06-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Edit: Here is the bass track: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7QHJ8989
I think I can't remove the fade-out from the drum track, though. Is this very bad?

Homer
06-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Edit: Here is the bass track: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7QHJ8989
I think I can't remove the fade-out from the drum track, though. Is this very bad?

Wellllllll, I can work around it. I'll just have to do some clever editing.

Homer
06-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Alright, well, it's all mixed and ready for vocals!

www.geoffmendicino.com/AgainstBelief/Forever%20and%20a%20Day%20192.mp3

So, it's up to you, Sara(?).
It's been awhile; can't remember names.

Also, I can probably do some backup vocals, if needed.

Little_Miss_1565
06-13-2009, 04:48 PM
allright! I'm trying to take a first shot at it now. Gotta figure out how to import the MP3 into Garage Band, haha. Thanks, guys! This is fun!

Free?
06-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Alright, well, it's all mixed and ready for vocals!

www.geoffmendicino.com/AgainstBelief/Forever%20and%20a%20Day%20192.mp3

So, it's up to you, Sara(?).
It's been awhile; can't remember names.

Also, I can probably do some backup vocals, if needed.

Fuck it's a really moving track, totally makes me want to sing! Leaving it in my playlist.

ad8
06-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Awesome mixing work, Homer! What did you do with the drum track? It sounds at least twice as powerful as before:eek::D The rest is awesome as well; great work everyone!

Homer
06-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Awesome mixing work, Homer! What did you do with the drum track? It sounds at least twice as powerful as before:eek::D The rest is awesome as well; great work everyone!

Compression, compression, and compression.

I also lowered the low EQ of the drums to make the bass drum 'pop' more.

Ryder1234
06-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Shit, it's really good! Although my headphones are blown so it's making it sound bad, but it sounds like its pretty powerful.

Little_Miss_1565
06-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Srsly, you guys did a damntastic job on this track. The distortion sounds so old skool punk rock too! I love it. I can't record a proper mic and this song is a little high for my voice anyway so you guys are going to make me look bad! Haha

Ryder1234
06-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Haha, don't worry! You'll do just fine, I'm sure, :)

Homer
06-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Srsly, you guys did a damntastic job on this track. The distortion sounds so old skool punk rock too! I love it. I can't record a proper mic and this song is a little high for my voice anyway so you guys are going to make me look bad! Haha

Antares Auto-Tune to the rescue!

But seriously, I'm the same way. Usually, though, I just wait until a good day comes along and I nail the vocals by some miracle.

SMASHedTHEignition
06-15-2009, 05:22 AM
theres this program where you can remove the basss/vocals/guitar/drums, or wateva if u want i culd remove the vocals of th album version n post it to u, and u can edit the vocals in, send it to me and ill adjust it n all. itl take about 10 mins, to do if u like?

SMASHedTHEignition
06-15-2009, 05:24 AM
dw, i didnt c tht ud alredy dun it, good job tho!

Little_Miss_1565
06-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Antares Auto-Tune to the rescue!

But seriously, I'm the same way. Usually, though, I just wait until a good day comes along and I nail the vocals by some miracle.

Manual tuning SAVED MY LIFE when my old band was recording our album. Do they make a tuning extension for Garage Band?

Homer
06-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Manual tuning SAVED MY LIFE when my old band was recording our album. Do they make a tuning extension for Garage Band?

Well, what I have is a VST plug-in, and if I'm correct, VST isn't Mac compatible.

THOUGH, I'm quite sure Antares most likely has something for Mac. But, I got mine for free by ways unknown. I don't know how lucky you'll be in finding one for Mac the same way.

You can always record them the best to your ability, and I'll use my editing magic on them if you want.

Ryder1234
06-24-2009, 11:35 PM

ad8
06-25-2009, 12:51 AM

hm...:D

Ryder1234
06-25-2009, 10:55 AM
hmm...

Little_Miss_1565
06-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Sorry, got distracted by personal bullshit. :(

Ryder1234
06-26-2009, 08:21 PM
It's ok. :) dont worry about it.

Ryder1234
07-21-2009, 02:21 PM
buuump .

Outerspaceman21
07-21-2009, 10:34 PM
...I knew I forgot about something...

Ryder1234
07-29-2009, 01:21 PM
we should, like, get it done

SMASHedTHEignition
07-30-2009, 05:53 AM
yeh i wanna hear it..

Free?
07-30-2009, 07:04 AM
Okay people, shshhh now! We all can't wait to hear it, but twenty posts saying that isn't really necessary.

Rutegard
07-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Okay people, shshhh now! We all can't wait to hear it, but twenty posts saying that isn't really necessary.

saying wut?

eh j/k :P

Little_Miss_1565
07-31-2009, 08:42 AM
Sorry, I'm a slacker. :( I forgot! I want to get this done like ASAP.

Ryder1234
09-02-2009, 11:07 PM
bump again... i wanna hear this done soon

Rutegard
09-30-2009, 02:17 PM
bump again... i wanna hear this done soon

sorry, i just had too :P

Ryder1234
10-10-2009, 03:59 PM
me too

come on sarah, you can do it!

Ryder1234
11-04-2009, 07:46 PM
:( dgfhjtfreawetgdfhyr

mrconeman
11-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Christ, can you do this already, so this thread fucks off.

Llamas
11-05-2009, 12:29 PM
I rather concur with Coneman...

Ryder1234
11-06-2009, 10:40 PM
I really wanna hear it, but it does need to get done soon.

Ryder1234
11-25-2009, 10:39 PM
So... should someone else just do the vocals then? Or do we keep waiting?

Homer
11-25-2009, 10:40 PM
I tried doing them once, and then I passed out.

Ryder1234
11-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Haha, I could see that happening. Seems like if you aren't Dexter (who probably couldn't even sing it all the way through anymore), you've gotta do it part by part or something.

Wait, do we have anyone capable of singing it?

_Lost_
12-05-2009, 04:04 PM
lol. i could do them. *shrug*

Ryder1234
12-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Alrighty, go ahead :) Well actually, ask Sarah first. But yeah, if she's cool with it :)

_Lost_
12-05-2009, 04:34 PM
mmk... well i'll need a link for download. homer's doesn't work.

Ryder1234
12-05-2009, 04:41 PM
One moment...

EDIT: http://rapidshare.com/files/316857313/Forever_and_a_Day_192.mp3.html

Have fun :)

_Lost_
12-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Sounds pretty hardcore. I like it.

Ryder1234
12-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks, the secret is that there's 2 guitar tracks :p.

That's what our RAFRAG covers were lacking. For example when I was talking about Rock Bottom lacking bass, when there actually was, it is missing something and it's a second guitar track.

_Lost_
12-05-2009, 05:38 PM
lol yeah i know what you mean. I had like 3 or four tracks for stuff is messed up so thats why that one sounded so full

Static_Martyr
12-05-2009, 06:57 PM
originally posted by Lost

lol. i could do them. *shrug*

I support this. But not the shrug :D

_Lost_
12-05-2009, 07:40 PM
<3 U Tim.

I've realized how many Offspring lyrics I've forgotten in the last couple years. It's gonna take me a bit to get the hang of this song and not sound stupid.

Ryder1234
12-05-2009, 10:28 PM
lol yeah i know what you mean. I had like 3 or four tracks for stuff is messed up so thats why that one sounded so full

That's what that was! :p I was like, that's a unique sound :p. Jeez, lots though haha.

I actually only did one of the tracks for this though, I still wasn't confident enough to do two cause I thought I couldn't get it matched up. Homer did the other. I only did the two for COAP and it sounds great. Shows what we could have done on RAFRAG, because if you listen to my COAP with just one hedphone (so only one of the tracks), it's the same sound as on RAFRAG, but with both it's much better. Of course the mixing means something but it coulda been better. Oh wells, we learned something :p

_Lost_
12-06-2009, 10:40 AM
yeah, exactly. well i recorded one track on top of the other etc, in one file on garageband, so they synced themselves. You have no idea how long it took me. There are a couple of moments where you can hear my playing get slightly off.

Little_Miss_1565
12-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Every time I've tried to record vocals for this they came out sounding like shite. :( The instrumental part sounds so badass I want the vocals to be perfect!

_Lost_
12-06-2009, 10:44 AM
It really is super hard core. You really oughtta post whatever you record here Sarah. I'm sure people here would hold a different opinion about the quality than you do.

Superdope
12-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I want to help with the whoa's and the waoh's

Little_Miss_1565
12-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Y'know, at this point it might be better if someone else does the vocals. I can't salvage what I've got here into anything I'd want to post. :( I'm also kind of a public figure here and already get a bit of abuse, and I need to protect the part of me that's still a fan. I don't want people following me around reminding me of what a shit job I did on this otherwise awesome track. Boo.

_Lost_
12-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Oh that wouldn't happen. People will follow you around and tell you how awesome it was. The people who don't like it will pout and say that girl's shouldn't sing Offspring tunes and leave it at that. Half the tracks that I did on the RAFRAG covers make me shudder but people liked 'em.

Plus, you might get some new people in support of your epic awesomeness since you're a participant in stupid bbs group projects. Makes them realize you don't have the power hungry ego they think you have and that you're just a fan like them.

Llamas
12-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Y'know, at this point it might be better if someone else does the vocals. I can't salvage what I've got here into anything I'd want to post. :( I'm also kind of a public figure here and already get a bit of abuse, and I need to protect the part of me that's still a fan. I don't want people following me around reminding me of what a shit job I did on this otherwise awesome track. Boo.

That's kind of a mean let down after all these people put in all this effort to record the track *just* to hear you sing it. I recall you saying you *would* do it with no problem and such... what happened? It's just a punk song; Dexter's not exactly Luciano Pavarotti... people put in all this effort to record it, and it's been put off so long, it's just kind of a cruel thing to do just because you don't want the risk that people might make fun of you?

_Lost_
12-06-2009, 11:37 AM
If you really and truly hate it once the final mix is put together, then you can get them to take it down and ask someone else to do it. I wants ta hearz it.

Little_Miss_1565
12-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Oh that wouldn't happen. People will follow you around and tell you how awesome it was. The people who don't like it will pout and say that girl's shouldn't sing Offspring tunes and leave it at that. Half the tracks that I did on the RAFRAG covers make me shudder but people liked 'em.

Plus, you might get some new people in support of your epic awesomeness since you're a participant in stupid bbs group projects. Makes them realize you don't have the power hungry ego they think you have and that you're just a fan like them.

Hey, no credit for sending the RAFRAG covers project to Dexter? ;) I'll give it another shot, but it's sometimes already hard for me to listen to the band because all I think about are the nasty PMs and posts in GC.

That's kind of a mean let down after all these people put in all this effort to record the track *just* to hear you sing it. I recall you saying you *would* do it with no problem and such... what happened? It's just a punk song; Dexter's not exactly Luciano Pavarotti... people put in all this effort to record it, and it's been put off so long, it's just kind of a cruel thing to do just because you don't want the risk that people might make fun of you?

And it's not cruel at all to try and imagine how the amount of abuse I get here negatively affects my ability to still be a fan of the band? What happened is that I tried recording my vocals and they sound like shit. Thanks for the empathy. Much appreciated.

_Lost_
12-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Well you definitely get some props for that! I think everyone that had a hand in that project jizzed themselves when he posted in the thread. hahahaha! I know it made my week.

If you are that worried it'll get bad reviews, PM it to me and I'll 'screen' it, preposting. :)

Homer
12-06-2009, 01:59 PM
I just want to let everyone know this: We didn't spend any fucking time on this cover. I spent the most time, and that was about an hour. So, I could really care less if you don't feel comfortable doing the vocals, because I wouldn't feel comfortable doing them either.

So, stop giving Sarah shit (that better be her name otherwise I'll just look like an ass).

Free?
12-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Aww, I'm sure that it will get solely positive feedback... I mean, how many hating asses are here? 5? And how many are anticipating for this cover? I bet that number is at least 10 times bigger.
It's sad that being a moderator here left such remnant on you :(. I think you're taking it a bit too serious than you should as responsibility for quality should've never become big enough for not getting it done.
What I would hate the most if the whole thing would turn into forced instead of fun, eh...
So don't force yourself, I can't say that I don't care, but I can see your point and I do understand. :)

Ryder1234
12-06-2009, 10:01 PM
What I would hate the most if the whole thing would turn into forced instead of fun, eh...

This. It's all about having fun, we're all amateurs, or at the very least not celebrities, so no one's gonna worry if it's not amazing-jizz-in-my-pants-awesome. Don't be so hard on yourself, because we all get the feeling that when we record something it sounds shitty, but everyone else loves it. Haters are just trying to piss you off, and if you don't end up, well at least posting up a mix, they're getting what they want. I think if anything, that by going through with this, even if it sounds like crap (but we all know it won't :)), that people would see it as "I'm not going to take your shit" kind of thing (sorry, couldn't word it any better :p), and as said, you wouldn't be viewed as "the big bad wolf" anymore. Well, some people probably still would, but I think it'll show most people that it isn't just a job to you.

The funny part is, is that all the haters (not in general, but people who don't want a girl singing), are people that were exiled by us for being douche bags in the RAFRAG/Smash cover threads (ANDiTKO comes to mind although he isn't in this... but if he was he'd be one of them)

_Lost_
12-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Ha! For truths! There were some anyway. ANDITKO hasn't really posted much of anything at all since.

Ryder1234
12-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Ha yeah I know. I couldn't really remember anyone else although I know there is some more haha.

Wait, didn't ZSK say something along those lines about the COAP cover? Not as harsh though just a subtle remark.

_Lost_
12-06-2009, 10:54 PM
He's a big pouter. "Females don't sound right singing the Offspring." or whatever he said... several times.

Ryder1234
12-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Yeah, he's so wrong though.

_Lost_
12-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Well, obviously.

Llamas
12-07-2009, 02:10 AM
"Females don't sound right singing the Offspring."

gay. it's straight up uncool to say something like that. And it's also really uncool when people are mean to amateur artists at a place like this. I remember anditko or whatever saying something like "how can you people actually think this sounds good?" regarding the rfrg covers. Some people are just jealous that they have no capability of creating music, I guess.

Anyway, I think Sarah should do it and just PM the file to people that aren't douches. I've never been instrumental in this whole thing, so it doesn't matter terribly much if *I* hear it, but I know there are some people here who'd really like to... and I can't see those people being assholes and posting it in GOD against Sarah's wishes or something. I only remember two people being hateful toward the rfrg covers, and some of those were really low quality... I doubt there'd be much heat against this even if it WAS in GOD. Anyway, do what y'all want and if she doesn't wanna do it, Karin do it, and then this thread can go away. :)

Homer
12-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Actually, if anything, she should PM me the vocals. Since, you know, I'm mixing it. I would never release something without consent, and with the right mixing you can make something bad sound better. So, yeah.

ad8
12-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Actually, if anything, she should PM me the vocals. Since, you know, I'm mixing it. I would never release something without consent, and with the right mixing you can make something bad sound better. So, yeah.

I also support this idea plus the "pm it to the people who definitely won't criticise it" thing. But if this is not going to work, I could also do the vocals...

...about 3 octaves lower than Dexter :D :D :D

Little_Miss_1565
12-07-2009, 01:35 PM
I'll give it another shot and send it over to Lost and Homer to get it out of my own head.

...about 3 octaves lower than Dexter :D :D :D

Hah, yeah. That's the problem. I sing tenor in choir. I don't understand Dexter's range!

_Lost_
12-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Kuhrazy thing is this is one of the less high songs.

Little_Miss_1565
12-07-2009, 02:17 PM

I think my problem is that I'm still trying to belt that high. And it just can't be done (if you're not Dexter).

_Lost_
12-07-2009, 02:22 PM
It can be done, it just takes lots of practicing in one's shower or car. I've done offspring tunes both ways. :eek: I'm sure you can hit the notes if you can support them well with your diaphragm and abdominal muscles. A big part of the learning process for me to increase my range has been learning to use my abs for those incredibly difficult higher notes.

Little_Miss_1565
12-07-2009, 02:24 PM
It can be done, it just takes lots of practicing in one's shower or car. I've done offspring tunes both ways. :eek: I'm sure you can hit the notes if you can support them well with your diaphragm and abdominal muscles. A big part of the learning process for me to increase my range has been learning to use my abs for those incredibly difficult higher notes.

You should be using your abs for all notes. :P

Llamas
12-07-2009, 02:25 PM
It can be done, it just takes lots of practicing in one's shower or car. I've done offspring tunes both ways.

Dirty. Especially to the bolded part...

_Lost_
12-07-2009, 02:25 PM
well i mean... you know what i mean.

I'm a theater student. Half my classes are about speaking "on your breath"

and ;) llamas

Homer
12-07-2009, 05:57 PM

Actually... this is probably one of the highest.

Little_Miss_1565
12-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Actually... this is probably one of the highest.

HA. Thanks. Maybe I'll just try changing the way I sing it. About to give it another shot if I can stop my computer from being retarded. The cat is crying so hard outside my door because he wouldn't stop being an asshole so I kicked him out. Wonder if you'll be able to hear him. Lawl.

BTW, does Garage Band format work for you?

EDIT: This round was going better by telling myself that Homer could do magic and Lost wouldn't let me embarass myself, but the neighbor just told me to shut up. Waaah.

EDIT EDIT: LOLOLOL NOT EVEN DEXTER CAN SING THIS LIVE AS HIGH AS IT IS ON IGNITION. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQIRyyfKdLM. I mean it sounds like it's only a half step or so down but still, I lol.

_Lost_
12-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Everyone knows Dexter can't sing the songs he writes in a live setting. :p Studio magic ftw!

When you send the tracks to iTunes, it makes them mp3.

Lol last year when I was trying to record the vocals for Half Truism (took about a thousand tries) at my dorm, people left messages on the board on my door to remind me that they weren't sound proof.

I only got that when I was recording Half-Truism. Never for the other songs.

Little_Miss_1565
12-08-2009, 10:59 AM
should i put reverb and ish on this or leave it just the dry track?

Llamas
12-08-2009, 11:39 AM
EDIT EDIT: LOLOLOL NOT EVEN DEXTER CAN SING THIS LIVE AS HIGH AS IT IS ON IGNITION. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQIRyyfKdLM. I mean it sounds like it's only a half step or so down but still, I lol.

Haha, well most bands tune ALL their live stuff down a half step. I've never been entirely certain why that is - why not just record it the same as you play it live? But all of the Offspring's songs are tuned a half step down live.

Also, lol Karin + Half Truism :P I lived in a basement apartment and sometimes my upstairs neighbor would comment on my singing... I'd always turn red and be like ofux you can hear that :(

mrconeman
12-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Haha, well most bands tune ALL their live stuff down a half step. I've never been entirely certain why that is - why not just record it the same as you play it live? But all of the Offspring's songs are tuned a half step down live.

The reason bands do this is the singer. And it's not that the singer can't hit the notes that he recorded, it's to save the singers voice over a touring schedual. Over like a few years of touring, singing most nights, at the highest of your register is a sure fire way to fuck your voice right up, especially if you don't have that great a voice in the first place.

Notable exception is Iron Maiden, who never tune down, and Bruce still wails. But that's because he's some kind of vocal demi-God.

1565: One of the very few nice things I have left to say about this board is that when it comes to the other bands section, I don't think I've ever seen anyone flat out slated, it's always constructive here, so dont worry about posting it.

_Lost_
12-08-2009, 02:57 PM
should i put reverb and ish on this or leave it just the dry track?

You should just leave it dry most likely. Homer can do that stuff when he mixes it in and it'll be easier to make it mesh with the rest of the song if its just straight and unaltered.

randman21
12-08-2009, 03:00 PM

What coneman said, plus I'd add that when a singer is in the studio, he doesn't sing 20 songs back-to-back as he might at a concert, so he can sing a song at pretty much any key he wants if he can get it right before his voice goes.

Oh, and Dexter's reasoning in particular (http://www.skratchmagazine.com/interviews/int-offspring.php):

SKRATCH: Well, it was Blink 182, but The Offspring was soon after that. I wrote an article that was in part critical of how many guitars you use during the live performance. Somebody told me later that each guitar is set to a different key.
DEXTER: [Laughs] Yeah, that's true. Actually, a little secret is that we tune some of our songs down because it's hard for me to sing that stuff. It's a little bit lower, but not low enough to be really noticeable. All of the songs I write are at the top of my range, so I have to yell as hard as I can.
SKRATCH: Are you getting nodules on your vocal chords?
DEXTER: I've never had anything like that. I have always written songs like that because I like it to have the most energy and urgency.

I don't agree with that approach, but there you go.

Little_Miss_1565
12-08-2009, 03:28 PM
The reason bands do this is the singer. And it's not that the singer can't hit the notes that he recorded, it's to save the singers voice over a touring schedual. Over like a few years of touring, singing most nights, at the highest of your register is a sure fire way to fuck your voice right up, especially if you don't have that great a voice in the first place.

Notable exception is Iron Maiden, who never tune down, and Bruce still wails. But that's because he's some kind of vocal demi-God.

1565: One of the very few nice things I have left to say about this board is that when it comes to the other bands section, I don't think I've ever seen anyone flat out slated, it's always constructive here, so dont worry about posting it.

I know why bands do it, I was just LOLing at my difficulty. :) I could totally rock it like Dexter does a third or so down. LOL.

And thanks, I know everyone in this forum is awesome and positive and constructive. But you know it wouldn't just be people from this forum listening and commenting. I mean, someone stalked through four or five years of my posting history to find super personal info about me to try and use against me. Of course there are going to be people who slam it just because it's me, but I'd rather they not be right. ;)

Static_Martyr
12-08-2009, 03:40 PM
I mean, someone stalked through four or five years of my posting history to find super personal info about me to try and use against me.

That would be kind of sad and funny, if it weren't even more disturbing :( That someone would actually take the time to do that, I mean.

EDIT: Oh, and totally looking forward to this! It's thanks to this topic that I actually know the song now. Before, I had only listened to it a couple times and I couldn't even remember how it went :D

_Lost_
12-08-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't agree with that approach, but there you go.

This coming from the guy who has written songs that are so high that he can't even really record them.

Llamas
12-08-2009, 04:25 PM
This coming from the guy who has written songs that are so high that he can't even really record them.

I <3 Randy's lower register. And everyone knows it.

...that also sounded dirty. What is it with this thread and me?

_Lost_
12-08-2009, 05:29 PM
ooooh the enuendo.

randman21
12-09-2009, 02:21 AM
Sarah, did you manage to get a whole track before the neighbor shut you down?

lol, got me there. With my band, I had to beg the guys to practice tuned down a step. For the record, the part of Dexter's comment I disagree with is that highest key possible = most intensity.

I <3 Randy's lower register. And everyone knows it.

And I <3 yours. We should duet. ;)

Rutegard
12-09-2009, 05:37 AM
we r here to protect u sarah

Little_Miss_1565
12-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks Ruty :)

Sarah, did you manage to get a whole track before the neighbor shut you down?

Nah, got through the first verse. My mic blows but I thought it sounded aight despite that. Another take will have to wait til this week when my roommate isn't home. :(

Blackball_
12-09-2009, 11:03 AM
i vote for farid for backup emergency vocalist.

randman21
12-09-2009, 01:42 PM
i vote for farid for backup emergency vocalist.
+1

dddddddddddddd

Free?
12-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Is Farid her cat's name?

Little_Miss_1565
12-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Roommate wasn't home tonight!!!!! You guys, I THINK I FOUND THE SECRET -- get drunk! It's not entirely dry -- had to put some compression on it or I couldn't bear listening to it at all, but no reverb or anything. I hope I stayed more or less on pitch and more or less on beat. I just wish my mic blew fewer goats.

It's uploading now and soon after on the way to Homer and Lost.

Ryder1234
12-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Yaaaaaay.

I'm gonna miss this thread, even though it was just collecting dust for a while. Always a bit of down time after a project :p

Homer
12-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Well, I got the track, and it sounds great! The only problem is that I only received the file that contains the entire song, as opposed to just the vocal track. Just gotta wait until Sarah re-uploads it.

I'll probably also do some backing vocals for it as well, but if anyone wants to record some, go right ahead. The only thing I ask for you to do is do two tracks of the same harmony, so I can pan them.

_Lost_
12-10-2009, 01:18 AM
yeah, she might have miscompressed. it happens.

But anyway, THIS SOUNDS SO AWESOME! I can't wait to hear the final mix. Like, 2srs.

Superdope
12-10-2009, 02:33 AM
Well, I got the track, and it sounds great! The only problem is that I only received the file that contains the entire song, as opposed to just the vocal track. Just gotta wait until Sarah re-uploads it.

I'll probably also do some backing vocals for it as well, but if anyone wants to record some, go right ahead. The only thing I ask for you to do is do two tracks of the same harmony, so I can pan them.

I'm all over this.

Little_Miss_1565
12-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Sry Homer and Lost...drunklez. :( But I am so, so glad you like it. SO RELIEVED.

For reference on the backing vocals, I recorded the lead whoaaaa on the first chorus and then for the others did the "if you've got the answer..." bits with no whoas. Figured y'all would be good for the others. :)

EDIT: Listened to it again on the subway this morning. Found a few things I wish I'd fixed. But something tells me I will always think that about everything I do.

Ryder1234
12-15-2009, 08:48 PM
So is there a finished product yet?

Superdope
12-16-2009, 05:05 AM
So is there a finished product yet?

I haven't submitted backing vocals yet, been sick.

Homer
12-16-2009, 07:29 PM
I haven't found the time to do them, either. So... another week.

Ryder1234
12-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Ohk, I was under the impression it was only Homer doing backing vocals, so I thought they'd be done by now. No problem :)

Sidewinder
12-17-2009, 12:02 PM
This was really interesting to look through having never seen this thread before now.

I have a new idea. We should try to get a bunch of vocal tracks from people put together for an acapella piece. Probably with a new song since you guys worked the shit out of this one.

On a side note, what would be the best recording program that I could get for free?

Superdope
12-17-2009, 12:04 PM
I used Audacity for a very long time. It's pretty stripped, but it gets the job done, and it's free.

Ryder1234
12-17-2009, 04:31 PM
This was really interesting to look through having never seen this thread before now.

I have a new idea. We should try to get a bunch of vocal tracks from people put together for an acapella piece. Probably with a new song since you guys worked the shit out of this one.

On a side note, what would be the best recording program that I could get for free?

We should probably pick one of the lower songs, because it seems like most people here can't hit Dexter's highest notes. But a good idea.

I use NCH Swift Sound's RecordPad, nifty little program, simple to use and makes quite good quality recordings. I'm only using the demo version though, which is fine if you keep the setup file and uninstall-reinstall every 15 days or however long until it expires.

Little_Miss_1565
12-17-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm much better with backing vocals, harmonies, etc than I am singing lead. :)

Sidewinder
12-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Doesn't have to be an Offspring song and I will go ahead and say if I participate it will be on a lower octave from me. That's what I think will be fun - hearing everyone's ranges put together.

_Lost_
12-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Did anyone ever hear the version of half-truism that we did for the RAFRAG covers without the backing track? I put the like 20 tracks me, randy, brianna, and becca did together and took away the back track. it was schweet. i don't have it anymore. unfortunately.

offspring acapella pwns.

Llamas
12-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Did anyone ever hear the version of half-truism that we did for the RAFRAG covers without the backing track? I put the like 20 tracks me, randy, brianna, and becca did together and took away the back track. it was schweet. i don't have it anymore. unfortunately.

offspring acapella pwns.

I might still have that. That shit was so ace.

SåS
12-21-2009, 08:07 AM
I used Audacity for a very long time. It's pretty stripped, but it gets the job done, and it's free.

i find audacity good for some things, and completley useless for others, ive been using it latley to record (i cant install shit on my laptop, we got them free from the school) and it isnt a bad program but sometimes it makes me so angry becuase the easiest things are so complicated.

ive always used and enjoyed Magix music programs, ive used sonar and cubase etc and i find magix to be the best, and its fairly cheap to(around $150) or you can hack it, which is easier (i brought it, lent the cd, got lost, had to hack etc).
but its seriously a great program.

Homer
12-26-2009, 05:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP3A5m6XPSs

Oh, it's happening.

Little_Miss_1565
12-26-2009, 05:56 PM
YEAAAAH! And I'm over here all "OMG HE'S LISTENING TO ME SINGING."

Ryder1234
12-26-2009, 06:07 PM
omg lol I think that wuz Dexter no lies. Hah Yeeuh.

Free?
12-27-2009, 10:49 AM
This song is in my letter to Santa.
On top of the list.

Homer
12-27-2009, 05:21 PM
HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS IT'S FINISHED!

http://www.servercrashers.com/music/Forever%20and%20a%20Day.mp3

So, I pretty much broke my vocal chords doing backup vocals. But other than that, if you notice anything wrong with it, or have any criticism about the mixing, feel free to let me know!

Ryder1234
12-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Oh man. OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN. holy shit.

Absolutely amazing. Sarah, I found nothing wrong with your voice there, great job! Only thing was the mic overloads but no problem with that because you did great! I'm also digging Static's solo alot.

Great job to everyone involved :) Sarah, you should consider doing some vocals on our "... coverd by us" projects ;)

Tijs
12-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Sarah, is there anything you can't do? Not to disrespect anything else, but this is by far one of the best covers I've heard from any of the BBS projects.
Your voice is very clear and solid. And the backup vocals, great stuff too!

Free?
12-27-2009, 06:04 PM
I don't remember a time when I was smiling with my mouth so wide open while sitting in front of pc. Literally. Like a little kid. I'm amazed and blown away. It's beyond awesome. I don't know why I'm so overexcited, but I truly am.
Vocals are faaaaaaaaaaaaantastic, I can't believe that you've had hard times with them, they are just so in-place. Backing vox fit so fucking good. And everything blends perfectly with instruments. Perfection.
God, my holidays just got a lot better.

WAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH WHOOOOOOOAAAAA!!!

I'm so happy for it finally being done, I'd like to thank everyone who's been around, especially those who participated!

P.S.: Sooo gooood! Dexter HAS to hear it.

Little_Miss_1565
12-27-2009, 06:09 PM
If you could see me right now, I'd be turning about 50 shades of red. Homer, the backing vocals are fucking ACE. Holy shit!! I guess you can't hear my cat in the background after all :D

So, when I finally get around to getting my next band together I am never ever ever going to get drunk before going onstage! Certainly not my cleanest, best work but my part could have turned out a lot worse (and did on several occasions, haha). I'm the most happy with my vocals in the last half of the song. But I had to get crunk to get over my nerves since everything else had come out so horribly and it made me feel like everything I tried to record would end up having to get fixed in the control room like on my old band's album, before I had sinus surgery. But you guys seem to like it (thanks, Tijs :) ) so I'm just going to keep telling myself I'm insane and maybe eventually I'll believe it! Ryder, I've wanted to do vocals on one of the covers projects but by the time I get over my shit enough to raise my hand to do something it's taken. Free, you made ME smile!

Homer, you really really kicked ass on this. All of you did. Thanks for kicking my ass, too.

Ryder1234
12-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Well, no problem, as the Ignition thread has just been made! :p. Stuffs going fast, but there's lots left :) Go check it out.

randman21
12-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Yes! As others have said, I didn't find a damn thing wrong with those vocals. I think I remember that this is one of your favorites and you did it justice. I was a bit tentative at first, but you could front any band! Nicely done, everyone. And the solo is awesome.

Static_Martyr
12-27-2009, 09:01 PM

Yes. Just....yes.

dff_punk
12-28-2009, 05:09 AM
I was always just checking out this thread and never replying, and now I can't believe it's already done. Well and it was worth the wait, wonderful poweful vocals (as powerful as a mod can be), and the backing vocals are even better than in the original song, they give it a bit of a Bad Religion - vibe(and I guess that's a good thing). Nice work you did! Love it and hope this is not the last collaboration of Sarah & the guys :p

Superdope
12-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Huh. You guys could have told me it was done. :( Guess I dont have to feel like a jerk for not getting my part done.

Anyways, great job all of you :)

mrconeman
12-28-2009, 08:33 AM
On a purely constructive note, your voice is just a tad shakey, but that's understandable with the vocals in this song being so high/strong at the same time.

Other than that, fucking ace job, Sarah. And everyone else.

I fucking LOVE the backing vocals, absolutely brilliant.

Little_Miss_1565
12-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Yeah, my vibrato got a little out of control. I blame being drunk. But at least it was in key. :)

And yes, the backing vocals are fucking mindblowing. MINDBLOWING.

Homer
12-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Well, I personally don't think the backing vocals are good! But, nevertheless, I made this:

Forever and a Day Acapella (http://www.servercrashers.com/music/Forever%20and%20a%20Day%20Acapella.mp3)

Llamas
12-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Hey, cool, this was actually completed. :) I didn't think it would be.

I did listen, and I dig it. Are the vocals really really quiet, or is it just my computer? I can barely hear Sarah.

What a good song. I love Forever and a Day! What are the credits for this cover? Obviously Sarah on melody, Homer on harmony... what else? Who played what instruments and stuff?

Edit: listening to the a capella version now. I gotta say, the background vocals sound really good in the full band version, but not so good in this version - they're super brash which is great for Offspring, but not so good for a capella. :)

Ryder1234
12-29-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm having the quiet vocals problem too.

Credits:
Vocals: Sarah, Homer (backing)
Guitars: myself and Homer, and Static_martyr did the solo
Bass: ad8
Drums: ad8

Homer
12-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Edit: listening to the a capella version now. I gotta say, the background vocals sound really good in the full band version, but not so good in this version - they're super brash which is great for Offspring, but not so good for a capella. :)

That's pretty much a good summary of my vocal skills: good with a band; bad on their own.

Also, as for the 'quiet vocals' issue: I tried to match the same mix of the original version, which also have very quiet vocals. I could try and get the vocals to be louder without having to drown out anything else, though.

ad8
12-31-2009, 05:17 AM
Alright, I finally listened to the finished song and I can't help but saying: FUCKING AWESOME!
Good job, Sarah and everyone else; also thanks to everyone who kept this thread alive!

lucys_bad_habit
12-31-2009, 06:13 AM
Alright, I finally listened to the finished song and I can't help but saying: FUCKING AWESOME!
Good job, Sarah and everyone else

agreed