PDA

View Full Version : Best Band of The Grunge Era

Creeco
02-25-2009, 02:18 AM
Now, who is your favourite band of the grunge era? I know that "Pearl Jam" were not fully musically considered grunge, but most people connect them with that. Also.. Stone Temple Pilots were (more or less) a copy of Pearl Jam and should therefore be considered post-grunge. Oh, if you haven't listened to all of theese bands, go do it!

Bipolar Bear
02-25-2009, 01:09 PM
My favorites:
Nirvana / Smashing Pumpkins

JohnnyNemesis
02-25-2009, 01:23 PM
I can't really choose between Nirvana and Pearl Jam...but I think you should have some lesser known bands included in the poll as well.

Furthermore, STP being a ripoff of Pearl Jam doesn't make them "post-grunge". They're just grunge. And I thikn they grew out of that imitator stuff and eventually became their own pretty good band.

IamSam
02-25-2009, 01:26 PM
I can't really choose between Nirvana and Pearl Jam...but I think you should have some lesser known bands included in the poll as well.

I'm in the same boat. I just can't seem to decide against those two.

mrconeman
02-25-2009, 01:29 PM
I never understood Pearl Jam's connection to the grunge scene. Of course when that scene was happening, I wasn't paying attention, and afterwards when I checked it out, I only liked a few select bands, so I'm no authority on the matter.

But seriously, Pearl Jam are so far musically ahead of any other band considered Grunge that it's ridiculous. I'd rather liken them to a less blues oriented Led Zeppelin, than anything to do with Alice in Chains or Nirvana.

Of the grunge bands I do like though, I really like them, for what they are. Pearl Jam are just so much better, if you ask me anyway.

Outerspaceman21
02-25-2009, 01:34 PM
I love alot of the bands. I chose Nirvana, but I also dig Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Screaming Trees, and Soundgarden.

I also want to throw Soul Asylum in to the pot.

Alex101
02-25-2009, 03:51 PM
I like all the bands in the poll, but I chose Pearl Jam. Ten, Vs. and Vitalogy are awesome!

Thomas
02-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Alice in Chains or STP for me. I have a hard time listening to Pearl Jam.

Cock Joke
02-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Everyoen shoudl bote for niveran

FUCK I hatre my keybard.

randman21
02-25-2009, 05:56 PM
I guess Nirvana would be my choice, though I see their stock falling at the same time STP's is rising.

I don't see Pearl Jam as better at all, just not really grungy. Too much of a southern rock thing for me.

Llamas
02-25-2009, 06:05 PM
I always considered early Bush and Collective Soul to be part of the grunge scene, and I like them much more than the bands listed.

Of those bands, though, I'd definitely go with Soundgarden.

jacknife737
02-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Nirvana, easily.

The only other band that i like from the grunge scene would be Smashing Pumpkins. I've tried a couple times to get into Pearl Jam, but I find them just a bit too boring. I also, oddly enough like a few Stone Temple Pilot tracks, but only their really poppy stuff (ie Days of the Week, Sour Girl, ect).

renato piquette
02-25-2009, 06:36 PM
does the smashing pumpkins and/or sonic youth count?
i donīt know if itīs just me,but i consider "ignition" as a grunge album

iPunk247
02-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Nirvana (Hands Down) I Voted For 'Em. :D :D :cool: :cool:

Autonomist
02-25-2009, 09:09 PM
I may be a little bias in my choice of Alice in Chains having just seen them do an amazing live show, though regardless I still put them miles ahead of all the other bands. Screaming Trees and Mad Season are also acceptable choices.

MoonTan™
02-26-2009, 04:24 AM
I Chose Soundgarden, But Nirvana and Pearl jam are definatly Up there.

Creeco
02-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Smashing Pumpkins weren't grunge, the only similarity they have with other grunge acts is the heavy distorted guitar and angst filled lyrics. They were only labeled grunge by the media trying to pigeonhole every alternative rock act of the 90's.

Also, STP weren't part of the first grunge wave since they were influenced by the first grunge wave and not the so much the first wave's primary influences (black flag, black sabbath, melvins etc.)

Also.. I suspect some people voting for Nirvana (which was a great band) without having any or much knowledge to the other bands ^^

renato piquette
02-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Am i the only dumbass who thinks that nirvana was a great but overrated band?

Outerspaceman21
02-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Am i the only dumbass who thinks that nirvana was a great but overrated band?

Yes, you are.

JUST KIDDING!

It's music, man. Who cares? Nirvana rocks, and I would love them even if no one knew their name. It's all about the music. No rating, underrating, overrating. None of that bullshit. Just music.

renato piquette
02-28-2009, 10:49 PM
yes, you are.

Just kidding!

It's music, man. Who cares? Nirvana rocks, and i would love them even if no one knew their name. It's all about the music. No rating, underrating, overrating. None of that bullshit. Just music.

well,i like the way you think,maybe thatīs why i love the offspring

Outerspaceman21
02-28-2009, 10:59 PM
well,i like the way you think,maybe thatīs why i love the offspring

That my philosophy on music. Don't think about it, man. Just groove.

Smash_Returns
03-02-2009, 06:53 PM
does the smashing pumpkins and/or sonic youth count?
i donīt know if itīs just me,but i consider "ignition" as a grunge album

Smashing Pumpkins is arguably grunge, and I consider it BS that STP isn't on the list, but I'd classify Sonic Youth similar to how I'd classify Pixies: Pre-Alternative; A precursor to grunge and alternative.

BTW, everyone should listen to the album Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth.