PDA

View Full Version : Protect your work!

JohnnyNemesis
02-25-2009, 12:14 PM
While looking through this section of the forum and the covers project and etc etc etc, it occurred to me that none of your work seems to be protected at all.

I think we should make it a rule that, before sharing stuff here, users have to get a Creative Commons license (http://creativecommons.org/).

Thoughts?

Free?
02-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Lol, I don't know, is it a joke, or you're honestly worrying about that stuff, but apparently that link gives me nothing but an error-page and that protecting procedure will be another pain in ass to deal with. Unless it's a one-minute thing. Otherwise, people will be just too lazy and ignore that "opportunity".

JohnnyNemesis
02-25-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm actually quite serious. The link should be working, as it's working for me; if you can get it to work, read up and learn about what the license is all about...you might find it very helpful :)

ad8
02-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Technically I did protect some of my songs, but I don't know if they are protected outside Germany, indeed. I'll read through the Creative Commons thing and decide, then. First of all thanks JN for reminding us of the security thing.

Outerspaceman21
02-25-2009, 12:43 PM
I usually put my own copyright infringment on my work.

"Warning: All rights reserved. Any unauthorized duplication is a violation of the copyright infringment law and will result in me kicking your ass."

IamSam
02-25-2009, 01:10 PM
There has been a history of a BBS member stealing things from people, such as drawings, so I would heed his warning.

mrconeman
02-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I'd probably worry about this if I stood to earn any money off my music at the minute, which of course I don't. So someone impersonating me as the creator of said music and getting absolutely nothing from it really wouldn't bother me that much.

Vera
02-25-2009, 01:30 PM
There was a dude who posted some other band's songs as his own. For the lulz or whatever.

The same could technically happen to you.

Also, I know the e-label thing is a great opportunity and all, but do practise caution -- it pays to be a little suspicious of people online.

_Lost_
02-25-2009, 01:59 PM
good point! Hadn't even occurred to me to be honest.

Homer
02-25-2009, 02:14 PM
I could care less.

WebDudette
02-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Well even if you care a little you should do it then.

JohnnyNemesis
02-25-2009, 02:45 PM
You guys really wouldn't care if someone claimed your songs as their own?

mrconeman
02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't care if they literally weren't getting anything from it other than critical (positive and/or negative) responses.

Maybe I'd make a point to step in and say something, but until I or anyone else stands to make money or something out of my music, I'd probably not go to the effort of actually copywriting it.

edit: actually depending on how far it goes. I mean if it's just some idiot on the internet posting some of my stuff on websites and forums, no I really wouldn't care. Say if it was a band re-recording something I'd wrote, or gigging and playing something I'd written live, then yes, I'd definitely care. But it's totally safe to say that isn't going to happen, not with anything I have up at the moment.

Free?
02-25-2009, 02:58 PM
That website is working for me now, I've checked it a bit. I must admit reading those licenses http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/ made me feel quite comfortable and pretty interested.

edit: coneman, check my link, it's exactly what you're talking about :).

Homer
02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that the site won't stop anybody from using my music if they were already going to.

And if I'm not famous from my music, then noone else will be.

Free?
02-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I doubt that licensing could do much to "save" your music, that site specializes on internet sharing tho, I think it has some mechanisms that work.

What about somebody claiming to be an author of your work? Like he'll put a video clip on youtube with your song in it and suddenly becomes famous.

Homer
02-25-2009, 03:32 PM
What about somebody claiming to be an author of your work? Like he'll put a video clip on youtube with your song in it and suddenly becomes famous.

Well, I'd be pissed, but then again, I've got proof that I made it.

Free?
02-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Fair enough :).
I'm not gonna promise anything, but maybe I'll try to put some sort of copyright on one of my works and then I'll post what was the experience like.

JohnnyNemesis
02-25-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that the site won't stop anybody from using my music if they were already going to.

Actually, it would (is anyone actually clicking the link and reading the site?). And if it didn't, obtaining the license would provide you with some course of action if someone did take your shit.

Static_Martyr
02-25-2009, 06:05 PM
First off, I'd like to thank JohnnyNemesis for thinking of us and our work :D Make no mistake, the effort is appreciated....that's something I wouldn't have worried much about in the local area (given that everyone would know us if we played clubs often), because anybody would recognize stuff as ours if someone else tried to steal it ("Hey, those guys from the other day were playing that same thing....what's with that?"). But on the internet, that kind of accountability isn't present, so it's something that's been in the back of my mind for awhile

On the other hand....am I the only one who could immediately imagine someone reading some of the responses here (or even the topic title) and thinking, "Hey, this stuff is less protected than I thought. Maybe I could swipe some and go record/use it somewhere else!"?

Outerspaceman21
02-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Personally, I don't think the stuff I make up is any good so I don't usually worry too much about it.

randman21
02-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks, JN! I worry about having my stuff stolen quite frequently. Well, I used to, but I find this a more beneficial alternative to putting it out of my mind.

And I lol'd at the Nike swoosh. What's up with that?

WebDudette
02-25-2009, 06:29 PM
I just want to point out that talent and quality of music has nothing to do with whether or not it will be popular. Are you guys really this apathetic about your creative output? I know I would be pissed if someone received recognition for my work, or duplicated it and sold it. It would be difficult since all of my art is physical and sitting in my room though.

mrconeman
02-25-2009, 07:03 PM
It's not that I'm apathetic about my music either, I'm quite proud of some of it. I just know how extremely unlikely it is that anyone is going to try to pass it off as their own work. The only places my music goes, is to my friends, and two fairly small internet forums, and then a very small percentage of the userbase of those forums will actually listen.

I know you're thinking forum = internet = everyone in the world can listen/steal it, but I've been putting music online for years and nothing even close to this has ever happened. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying that it's extremely unlikely, and combined with the fact that it really won't bother me *that* much if it's just an internet thing I don't see the point.

Besides, say random guy takes my music from internets, passes it off as his own on the internets. All I have to do is disprove it, which will be extremely easy.

Again, if I ever stood to make any money from my music, and therefore actually lose out on something if someone steals my work, then yes, I'll take somekind of copyright action.

Llamas
02-25-2009, 07:12 PM
If I wrote stuff that people would actually want to steal, I might care. But I don't. Plus I never intend to make money off of music. I changed my mind about doing that 6 years ago. I do appreciate Ricky bringing it up and posting the link, though.

Rooster
02-26-2009, 02:16 PM
This looks interesting, i'll think about it. I feel more comfortable now that i know i could somehow protect my music.

T-6005
02-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks, JN.

It seems unlikely that most of us will ever see a dime for the work we put in on our songs, but it's a pretty simple mental leap to still want to safeguard yourself against someone else using your stuff while we simmer in impotent rage.

I will look into it and consider using it.

Les Paul Girl
02-26-2009, 05:42 PM
This is really worth giving a thought! I haven't shared any original music on the Internet, but I've seen my photos on sites that have not asked my permission. Even though they (probably) don't earn anything from their sites (mostly blogs) it feels weired seeing someone else stating that your photo is actually theirs...