PDA

View Full Version : Guitar String Gauge

T-6005
03-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Everyone's got a favorite even if they don't know they do.

Until today I played with Daddario Regular light gauge (.10-.46, I think) and then today I switched to what I used to play back in high school, which was Daddario Super Light Gauge (.09-.42) which is easier for bends and learning new techniques.

I played with heavy gauge once, and came away with the impression that it's really not worth it unless you're a drop-Cb kind of person or someone with a finished fretboard that's looking for something really warm sounding.

randman21
03-12-2009, 09:40 PM
(Note: This is copied and pasted from the Soundclick forum, exactly one month ago. Lazy, sure, but I couldn't say it better than I did then.)

Back when I had an acoustic, I just bought the cheapest strings and called it a day.

When I first started on electric, I had a strat copy and put Ernie Balls on it (slinky, then super slinky, if I recall correctly). On my SG, I believe I did the same thing, mainly because that's the only brand the little store near my house has. The first strings I tried on my LP were D'Addario Super Ridiculously Thins, or at least that's what I call them, as they snapped in a week. They were fun, though. Both guitarists from my favorite band use them, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Wasn't for me.

Then, being my usual cheap self, I looked in the clearance section of another music store and found Paul Markley/Nuno Bettencourt Signature strings for 5 dollars. I tried them, not expecting much, but oh my, they became my favorites. They are hybrids (9, 11, 16, 26, 36, 46).

Five months later (yesterday), I went back hoping they still had some. They did. 7 sets, this time for 4 dollars! I bought 'em all.

Ryder1234
03-13-2009, 02:18 PM
On my electrics, I use Diadarrio Super light gauge. Although the last time I bought strings I didn't have much money, so I bought the most expensive set of strings I could get for $5. They're Rotosound Pinks (the lightest gauge they had of rotosounds) They're actually working out good but they're a bit on the old side now.

On my acoustic I'm using some sort of Diadarrios. I dont like them because theyre pretty heavy gauge, and my acoustic isnt the best so I already have to press down on the strings pretty hard.

Superdope
03-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Heavy. Gauge.

I used to play with .012-.052's, but just recently switched to .011-.050's because I find them to be a great compromise when you regularly play in C but sometimes want to tune up a couple of steps.

T-6005
03-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Then, being my usual cheap self, I looked in the clearance section of another music store and found Paul Markley/Nuno Bettencourt Signature strings for 5 dollars. I tried them, not expecting much, but oh my, they became my favorites. They are hybrids (9, 11, 16, 26, 36, 46).

Yay. It's always good to have a favorite. Sometimes I just feel the need to bend like a fucker, though.

On my acoustic I'm using some sort of Diadarrios. I dont like them because theyre pretty heavy gauge, and my acoustic isnt the best so I already have to press down on the strings pretty hard.
Ryder, I hope you've been playing less than two years or that your gear sucks. Your tone is quite nice, honestly. Very nice. But your timing is shit.

Heavy. Gauge.

I used to play with .012-.052's, but just recently switched to .011-.050's because I find them to be a great compromise when you regularly play in C but sometimes want to tune up a couple of steps.
The fuck man. I guess some people play that low. Tomorrow I still need to buy some super Lights. BTW check out my new song - it uses regular lights. PLZ.

Superdope
03-15-2009, 02:49 AM
The fuck man. I guess some people play that low. Tomorrow I still need to buy some super Lights. BTW check out my new song - it uses regular lights. PLZ.

I don't play low, I play looooooooow

I have no time for no regular light nonsense!

jk.

I checked out monochrome the other day, and really liked it, although I have no idea how I could implement lyrics in that song... maybe it's better suited as an instrumental?

I JUST downloaded slow hello and I love the way it slowly builds. It's hypnotic

mrconeman
03-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Gauge .10 d'addario. I used to use Rotosound because A. They were awesome and B.You got an extra high E string, which I tend to sometimes break, so that was very useful. But none of the guitar shops here stock them anymore, so I moved to d'addario.

Playing any lighter than .10 to me is absolute insanity, I'd probably snap strings all over the place, there's no way a .09, or a .08 string set would hold up for me with the sort of stuff I play. I've used .11's before, you get a really nice fat tone out of them, but they just werent that comfortable to me. It's pretty much .11's or nothing for blues guitar players though, it's not just Drop C heavy metallers that use heavy strings, guys.

So .10's have that perfect balance of thick warm tone, but also comfort and reliability.

On my acoustic I use .12 D'addarios, always have.

Jebus
03-15-2009, 11:00 PM
I forgot the brand (probably Blue Steel), but back when I played guitar on a regular basis, I bought these "customs" that had light gauges (9s) on the high strings strings and heavy gauges on the low strings. Easy bends and chunky chuggah chuggahs was my reasoning. I bought slightly more expensive than usual strings (earnie ball coated slinkey) a few weeks ago that said TITANIUM REINFORCED TECHNOLOGY because I'm easily swayed by marketing gimmicks along with shinny packaging.

T-6005
03-17-2009, 05:53 AM
I checked out monochrome the other day, and really liked it, although I have no idea how I could implement lyrics in that song... maybe it's better suited as an instrumental?

I JUST downloaded slow hello and I love the way it slowly builds. It's hypnotic
Maybe it is better as an instrumental, but if so it needs more instrumental melody. And glad you liked the other.

I forgot the brand (probably Blue Steel), but back when I played guitar on a regular basis, I bought these "customs" that had light gauges (9s) on the high strings strings and heavy gauges on the low strings. Easy bends and chunky chuggah chuggahs was my reasoning. I bought slightly more expensive than usual strings (earnie ball coated slinkey) a few weeks ago that said TITANIUM REINFORCED TECHNOLOGY because I'm easily swayed by marketing gimmicks along with shinny packaging.
Oh man I'm totally a sucker for that, although generally I manage to avoid giving in. I still need to buy new strings because I bought super lights and accidentally bent one pre-stringing, and then when I tried to draw it tight it snapped like a fucker.

Ryder1234
03-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Ryder, I hope you've been playing less than two years or that your gear sucks. Your tone is quite nice, honestly. Very nice. But your timing is shit.

Well, neither of these are true. I've been playing for 3 and a half years, and my gear is pretty good. I think the reason for the timing issues on my song was because of the setup I had. When I was recording the guitar I didnt listen to the drums with headphones, and couldn't really hear them well enough to get it right.

T-6005
03-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Well, neither of these are true. I've been playing for 3 and a half years, and my gear is pretty good. I think the reason for the timing issues on my song was because of the setup I had. When I was recording the guitar I didnt listen to the drums with headphones, and couldn't really hear them well enough to get it right.

Well in that case I apologize. Your timing did seem pretty awful and it's good to know there's a logical explanation.

Ryder1234
03-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks. Looking back at it the recording job I did was a comedy of errors, besides the drums (which is the funniest part, because I dont even play drums and had to rent an electric kit to record with). I would like to re do it, but A dont have the drums and B the original drum track disappeared. So im kinda stuck.

So on the subject of favorite guitar things, favorite picks? For me its just anything made by dunlop, and in the .71 - .74 range

mrconeman
03-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Gay. I went to go buy new strings the other day, because I broke a string the day before, I didn't get into town until way late, and the guitar shops were all closing in about 5 minutes, I went to the nearest one and made it just on time, to see they didn't have the D'addarios I liked. I had to settle for Ernie Ball, last time I used Ernie Ball they sucked.

Hopefully a better experience this time...

Picks? Dunlop Tortex, greens or purples.