PDA

View Full Version : John Stewart vs Jim Cramer

nevo
03-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Did anyone get to see it? If not here's your chance.

http://blog.indecisionforever.com/2009/03/13/jon-stewart-and-jim-cramer-the-extended-daily-show-interview/

Jon Stewart absolutely destroyed Cramer and CNBC. I hope the executives at CNBC were paying attention, and act accordingly. It's time we have a financial news network that holds Wall Street's feet to the fire instead of being complicit in their crimes.

What do guys think?

Outerspaceman21
03-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Did anyone get to see it? If not here's your chance.

http://blog.indecisionforever.com/2009/03/13/jon-stewart-and-jim-cramer-the-extended-daily-show-interview/

Jon Stewart absolutely destroyed Cramer and CNBC. I hope the executives at CNBC were paying attention, and act accordingly. It's time we have a financial news network that holds Wall Street's feet to the fire instead of being complicit in their crimes.

What do guys think?

Damn, John Stewart pwned. I love that show

Omni
03-13-2009, 08:47 PM
The comments below the video are pretty varied. Some think he did a great job in putting the guilty in their place, ala Tucker/Crossfire, and a lot of people seem to think he made a douche out of himself.

RonWelty
03-14-2009, 08:00 AM
All financial web forums are heavily talking about this video.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
03-14-2009, 07:16 PM
This was absolutely fantastic. I don't think Jon Stewart made a douche out of himself at all. He's just a guy who's tired of the bullshit. Because of the platform he has, he can pretty much get away with being honest with calling people out on their shit. When someone criticizes him, he simply pulls the "I'm just a comedian" card. Gold.

bighead384
03-15-2009, 12:08 PM
I respected Stewart more after I watched that. I watched the uncensored version.

Jakebert
03-15-2009, 05:45 PM
I think Stewart did a good job, but I disagree that the "I'm a comedian" card is valid. If you're going to hold some people to the fire and then let others go because you like them, you're being just as hypocritical as anyone else that does it. That's the only problem I had with the Crossfire thing.

bighead384
03-15-2009, 06:15 PM
I think Stewart did a good job, but I disagree that the "I'm a comedian" card is valid. If you're going to hold some people to the fire and then let others go because you like them, you're being just as hypocritical as anyone else that does it. That's the only problem I had with the Crossfire thing.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I disagree with this. No one bases any of their actions or opinions on anything Stewart says because of the fact that he's a comedian.

Thomas
03-15-2009, 08:35 PM
I thought Cramer handled himself very well in that interview. He took a beating from Stewart and maintained his poise while being respectful and trying to state things from his own perspective. I know absolutely nothing about economics, so I have no idea what exactly is going on in this huge mess, but I do have some more respect for him because of that interview.

Jakebert
03-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I disagree with this. No one bases any of their actions or opinions on anything Stewart says because of the fact that he's a comedian.

You do misunderstand me. What I mean is that Stewart likes to go rough on some of his guests and pull this "I'm going to criticize you for this and this" and then when someone criticizes something he says in an interview or whatever, he uses the defense of "I'm a comedian, I'm held to different standards", especially when it comes to other media figures, which is an attitude I don't get. If he's going to hold people to certain standards, he has to hold himself to the same or at least similar standards.

Not saying I don't like Stewart, because I do, but he's kind of an overhyped figure by a lot of people my age.

jacknife737
03-15-2009, 08:55 PM

It might be hypocritical, but his point was that he is upfront with what he is, and that nobody (or at least nobody should) look to him to give serious interviews. He's not a real journalist and shouldn't be held to the same standards as they are.

That_Guy91
03-15-2009, 08:56 PM

His point is that, as a comedian, he doesn't have the responsibility that the real media has, and he doesn't have to be bipartisan.

Jakebert
03-15-2009, 08:59 PM
But regardless of what he says he is, he IS looked to by a lot of people as someone to get serious information from, and he basically picks and chooses who he wants to hold to the fire and who he wants to let off the hook based on who he likes and who he doesn't. I'm not asking him to pretend he isn't biased, but I would like to see him go after hypocrisy in both parties rather than give a pass to the guys he supports, because a lot of them are just as bad, if not worse, than the people he attacks.

wheelchairman
03-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Saying that Jon Stewart should be held to the standards of a journalist just because his audience likes the Daily Show as a news source doesn't make any sense.

Jon Stewart is a satirist and a commentator, that is what he does.