PDA

View Full Version : Why is Trent Reznor considered a genius

Cbonham5
03-16-2009, 11:55 AM
First of all, i'm not bashing the man, i like the few NIN songs i've heard, but i dont see why everybody claims he's this genius that is the most creative man on the planet. Please tell me what is special about Reznor, educate me

Jakebert
03-16-2009, 12:24 PM
I couldn't agree more.

NIN have some decent songs, but as a whole Trent is really just an average musician. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he took a fairly underground genre of music and made it poppy and palatable to a larger audience, but that alone, in my eyes, does not make a genius musician. Plus, this whole "BUT HE PLAYS ALL HIS OWN INSTRUMENTS AND RECORDS ALL BY HIMSELF" bullshit pisses me off. It's okay if he does, but he's not even close to the only musician that does this.

Alex101
03-16-2009, 02:26 PM
It doesn't matter whether or not he's a genius to me...

bighead384
03-16-2009, 02:29 PM
how'd you get so big?
how'd you get so strong?
how'd it get so hard?
how'd it get so long?

Outerspaceman21
03-16-2009, 02:38 PM
I don't know why either. Closer is a good song and thats the only song I like. I hated With Teeth and Year Zero. I didn't like any songs on them, but I haven't heard the new one yet, so I'm not making decisions yet.

I just don't dig his music.

Cock Joke
03-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Because he rules!!!

http://www.perfectporridge.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/nin-logo.jpg

findout5
03-16-2009, 04:30 PM
He's OK...not THAT great :P

Olive
03-16-2009, 04:40 PM
He can make anything sound GOOD.

Little_Miss_1565
03-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Trent Reznor's genius has nothing to do with being a good musician (which he is, but whatev). He has a vision, and unique ideas of how to make that vision happen.

Thomas
03-16-2009, 10:37 PM
I kinda always thought of him as a watered-down, less interesting version of Maynard, really.

holy crap, I can't type two words tonight without having to delete a letter or two...

bouncingcoles
03-17-2009, 08:14 AM
I kinda always thought of him as a watered-down, less interesting version of Maynard, really.

holy crap, I can't type two words tonight without having to delete a letter or two...

every tool album sounds exactly the same. and trents music is far different from anything tool has made. the only reason the bands are compared is because they both have cult followings and many of the fans happen to like both bands. im a huge nin fan and i wouldnt say Trent is an overrall genious but he is far more innovative and talented than most of the music out there these days.

bighead384
03-17-2009, 10:58 AM
every tool album sounds exactly the same.

No way man. Undertow, for example, sounds way different than Lateralus. They've gotten significantly more intricate and the production quality is very high. A song from Lateralus wouldn't even fit on any of their older albums. You probably just haven't heard their older stuff.

Free?
03-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Nin happens to have a huge fanbase, it's not a rare thing when fans consider their idols are geniuses. I don't think Trent is really one, but he definitely stands out of majority musicians with his attitude, artistic vision, doing only something that he wants to and, of course, his music which influenced zillions.
When I'm experiencing a musical orgasm from some song, I don't see any problem with calling its author genius.
I'm a big nin fan as well.

Thomas
03-17-2009, 02:42 PM
No way man. Undertow, for example, sounds way different than Lateralus. They've gotten significantly more intricate and the production quality is very high. A song from Lateralus wouldn't even fit on any of their older albums. You probably just haven't heard their older stuff.

Or their newer stuff. Their two most similar albums were Lateralus and AEnima, and even those weren't very similar.

Smash_Returns
03-17-2009, 07:41 PM
It's because of what he does with the music industry. He completely changes the way music is brought to the public, offering individual instrument tracks, etc.. for fans to remix, allowing listeners to pretty much do what they want with his music, and he actually has GREAT technical skill with all instruments. The thing is, you may not like it, but his music is AMAZING for the experimental industrial genre. (Also, name one more band with only one official member, excluding tour musicians.)

He has a vision. THAT is why hes considered a genius.

Thomas
03-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Also, name one more band with only one official member, excluding tour musicians.

Off the top of my head,

Billy Joel
Elton John
Alice Cooper
The Foo Fighters (for a period of time)
Paul McCartney (after the Beatles)
John Lennon (after the Beatles)
George Harrison (after the Beatles
Ringo Starr (after the Beatles)
Bruce Springsteen
Eric Clapton
Rod Stewart
Bob Dylan
David Bowie
Bob Seger
Ted Nugent
Peter Frampton
Tom Petty
etc.etc.etc...

Outerspaceman21
03-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Off the top of my head,

Billy Joel
Elton John
Alice Cooper
The Foo Fighters (for a period of time)
Paul McCartney (after the Beatles)
John Lennon (after the Beatles)
George Harrison (after the Beatles
Ringo Starr (after the Beatles)
Bruce Springsteen
Eric Clapton
Rod Stewart
Bob Dylan
David Bowie
Bob Seger
Ted Nugent
Peter Frampton
Tom Petty
etc.etc.etc...

I think what he means is that Trent Reznor is NIN and the band is just his back up band.

And those are just solo musicians. I don't think Nine Inch Nail and Trent Reznor would apply to that.

ThunderPX
03-19-2009, 02:44 PM
This (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/nin_frontman_discusses_ticket_scalping.html) is a recent example of Trent Reznor being awesome.

RageAndLov
03-23-2009, 02:09 PM
I thought he was a genius because he was a member of MENSA. J/K

Mellow Chaos
03-31-2009, 12:21 AM
Trent Reznor is a total Skinny Puppy rip-off. Look into it.

That being said, NIN had some really good stuff back in the day.

[nevermind about that last part, when he said it it was funnier]

Free?
03-31-2009, 01:26 AM

Some examples (songs) please.

coke_a_holic
03-31-2009, 01:32 AM
And it has been scientifically proven that it is impossible for human beings to dislike (or even be apathetic about) TOOL.

I don't like Tool. Science is wrong.

Mellow Chaos
03-31-2009, 02:04 AM
I don't like Tool. Science is wrong.

No, you're just not human.

Mellow Chaos
03-31-2009, 02:13 AM
Some examples (songs) please.

Both Marlilyn Manson and Trent Reznor have ripped off Skinny Puppy's live show. (like Manson walking on stilts, Nivek Ogre of Skinny Puppy was doing that back in the 80's, for example)

Listen to Skinny Puppy's "Dig It", and then listen to NIN's "Down in It".

Free?
03-31-2009, 02:32 AM
Wouldn't you prefer to call it a huge influence instead of rip-off? I think it was quite a usual "beat" for many electronic/industrial songs for a long time.

Fractal
03-31-2009, 08:15 AM
Just like The Offspring can be considered a genius, NIN can be too. Huge and successful bands. You'll never have a band like them.

Well, if what I said was laughable, then check out The Hand That Feeds, for example. Listen from 1:37 to 2:30. THAT'S GENIUS. When I heard it for the first time, it made me imagine a cool structure with cyan/light green colour. Also, that sound like a siren is orange.

Free?
03-31-2009, 10:55 AM
What are your thoughts on this summer tour with Janes?

I'm not well familiar with Jane's Addiction, but I think it's a good thing that they came up with some sort of cooperative tour. NINJA is an absolutely awesome acronym!

delboy
03-31-2009, 11:21 AM

That being said, NIN had some really good stuff back in the day.

And it has been scientifically proven that it is impossible for human beings to dislike (or even be apathetic about) TOOL.Actually I think they're horrible...

Cbonham5
03-31-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't necessarily think Tool is horrible, just not much variety in the songs that get played on the radio. I love Schism but all the other stuff sounds just like it...not in a good way

Smash_Returns
03-31-2009, 05:32 PM
What are your thoughts on this summer tour with Janes?

The NIN/JA tour will be amazing. Jane's Addiction is another of my favorite bands.

That_Guy91
03-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Science is wrong.

You bastard.

leo3375
03-31-2009, 06:02 PM
This (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/nin_frontman_discusses_ticket_scalping.html) is a recent example of Trent Reznor being awesome.

You couldn't link to the statement directly?
http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?9,548515,548515#msg-548515

But I digress…

Trent is considered a "genius" because he finds ways to incorporate several unique sounds under the "NIN" umbrella. That is, whether it's a slow, quiet piano piece or a fast, guitar-laden punch in the face, it still has a distinct sound that identifies Trent. In addition, he isn't afraid to take on the record labels and try out new means of distribution. He's trying to become more accessible to his fans and it's paying off in a big way.

Mellow Chaos
03-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Actually I think they're horrible...
Congratulations, you're human. Hint: by saying you think they are "horrible", you are obviously not apathetic about thier music.

And it was a joke.

Count Orlok
04-01-2009, 09:42 AM
I wouldntīt classify in general too many people a genius, but i love Nine Inch Nails, and itīs apparent that Reznor has and had many new ideas.

SuperKnux
04-01-2009, 05:45 PM
I can't stop playing "Pussygrinder" and "Still Hurts" (feat. Alicia Keys) on my Zune. Dave Navarro was right, I think Strobe Light might be be TR's strongest material to date. Once again: GENIUS!

leo3375
04-01-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm stoked that "I Like Dudes" finally saw the light of day!

That_Guy91
04-01-2009, 07:55 PM
the nin/ja tour

? .

jacknife737
04-01-2009, 08:07 PM
? .

Nine Inch Nails/ Janes Addiction, i'm assuming.

Little_Miss_1565
04-01-2009, 08:09 PM
I can't stop playing "Pussygrinder" and "Still Hurts" (feat. Alicia Keys) on my Zune. Dave Navarro was right, I think Strobe Light might be be TR's strongest material to date. Once again: GENIUS!

u r soooooooooooo rite!

Only a genius could have put something like this together.

0r4ng3
04-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Nine Inch Nails/ Janes Addiction, i'm assuming.
That's disappointing, I expected to be a ninja tour.

Mellow Chaos
04-02-2009, 12:25 AM
On the note of Reznor being a "ripoff", I don't really care either way, just so we're clear.

I actually don't feel very strongly about it one way or another, I like music from NIN, MM, and Skinny Puppy. It's whatever, really. So Manson stole the idea to walk on stilts at his concerts from Skinny Puppy. Lots of artists borrow stuff from other artists, and lots of artists also flat out steal shit.

I was just pointing it out. I'm probably desentisized to it because there are so few original artists anymore (not that many of them aren't talented), and it's been like that for a minute now.

Superdope
04-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Strobe Light is amazing! Everybody's doing it (Chris Martin, Jay-Z AND BONO!!! how the hell did he do it?) is amazing.

I actually kinda wish he had made Strobe Light :( Still, amazingly funny dig at Cornell. major lulz.

Mellow Chaos
04-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Wouldn't you prefer to call it a huge influence instead of rip-off? I think it was quite a usual "beat" for many electronic/industrial songs for a long time.

Trent Reznor has claimed his "first song" "Down In It" is a "total rip-off" of Skinny Puppy's 1986 single "Dig It" in a radio interview. The two do bear a bit of resemblance.

from here (http://www.ninwiki.com/Skinny_Puppy)

Also, there's actually a song Ogre [of SP] wrote for his solo project OhGr that openly mocks Reznor.. along with Eminem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQu8A_Wjbbc

Watch it, its actually a really good song, too.

nieh
04-02-2009, 09:57 AM
So because Trent Reznor openly admits his *first song* was a rip-off of someone else, that means his entire career is a rip-off of them? EVERYONE'S first song is a ripoff of someone else. Also, the fact that Marilyn Manson and NIN are not completley interchangeable with each other means that at least one of them is not a complete rip-off of Skinny Puppy, otherwise they would sound identical.

Free?
04-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Okay, I didn't know about that. Million hours of internet left a deep trauma in me - when I see term "rip-off", in like 99.999% of times, it's used as something negative. In this case it's quite funny that Trent openly stated about it, both Nin and SP seem to be cool about each other which is great.

Mellow Chaos
04-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Like I said, I don't really care too much one way or the other. Though there are lots of hardcore SP fans who will never let you hear the end of it. Now, if you ever encounter one of those people, you can't say you were never warned.

Like I said, I like music from all of those artists, so whatever.

But just fwi I'm not only basing the "rip-off" comment on that one song, but I don't care enough to really disect it. MM's persona, his live act, his gimick, he's stolen from A LOT of other bands (this is fairly common knowledge though)

Ironically enough, Marilyn Manson recently dissed My Chemical Romance for "stealing his act": http://www.metalunderground.com/news/detai...fm?newsid=26714 (http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=26714)

(well, relatively "recently")

wheelchairman
04-02-2009, 11:08 AM
I think what it really comes down to is that fans are hardcore faggots. The more hardcore the fan, the harder the hardcore faggotry.

I met a fan once. He told me he was a fan, so I broke his arm.

I guess you could say, he no longer had a favorite band.

EXCEPT HIS ARM BAND

HAHAHAHAHHAHAH

nieh
04-02-2009, 12:12 PM
I love this post, SO MUCH!!!!!?