PDA

View Full Version : indie sucks

renato piquette
03-17-2009, 08:31 PM
yeah,i was a big indie boy about 2 years ago,but,it has become such a sold out move,don´t know if this only happens in mexico,but the "indie" magazines here now have mtv as a sponsor (or viceversa),including tons of other global trademarks,most indie bands still give the finger to major labels,so the one to blame is the indie media,plus,it has become so trendy,now the kiss the ass of hip-hop artists,or stuff like justice,does it offend you,yeah? and other shit that is just dance music,fuck those fags

Outerspaceman21
03-17-2009, 08:51 PM
I don't like much indie rock. I hate a lot of it, to be exact, but I do find some pretty good bands that blend other styles with indie and make a good sound.

I like Silversun Pickups, Brand New, Feist, Interpol, Kings of Leon, and The Shins

renato piquette
03-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah,i also like the shins

Thomas
03-18-2009, 01:35 AM
So you don't like indie music because it's popular now?

0r4ng3
03-18-2009, 04:23 AM
So you don't like indie music because it's popular now?
How very indie.

Anyway, I don't have any negative opinions about indie, but I could never follow it. All the name-dropping makes my head spin sometimes.

Free?
03-18-2009, 04:32 AM
Dover is heavily indie-influenced and I love them. At least what they were...ugh...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjuSpXtwffo

Other than that - I don't have any problems with indie, it's not quite my thing though.

randman21
03-18-2009, 04:51 AM
Dang, y'all. He's not talking about indie music. He's mainly talking about the institution of "indie". Like labels, magazines, radio stations, etc. I think he does have a point. And anyway, I'm guessing the music he was talking about wasn't the likes of the Shins :P

findout5
03-18-2009, 05:01 AM
It's tough to label something as indie! What is it even? The label? The garage sound?

Not liking something because it's trendy is just as bad as liking something because it is trendy. Being Anti somethting is going out of your way.

One to the right
03-18-2009, 10:03 AM
So many bands are labeled indie now it would be hard for me to disown the whole genre. I'm sure many of the bands I listen to are considered indie on some level though probably not by the current standards of that genre.

renato piquette
03-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Dover is heavily indie-influenced and I love them. At least what they were...ugh...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjuSpXtwffo

Other than that - I don't have any problems with indie, it's not quite my thing though.

is that the spanish band dover?i like them

renato piquette
03-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Dang, y'all. He's not talking about indie music. He's mainly talking about the institution of "indie". Like labels, magazines, radio stations, etc. I think he does have a point. And anyway, I'm guessing the music he was talking about wasn't the likes of the Shins :P

he´s right,i´m not talking about music,i like some indie bands,it is the industry that makes me sick for getting tons of money from sponsors and calling thmselves "indie"

RageAndLov
03-19-2009, 06:16 AM
I disagree with you OP.
There are of course some labels/radio stations/magazines/scenes that were indie but went more and moar "major" or fame/money wanting.
I don't know how it works down in México, but lots of indie stuff (labels/radio stations/magazines/scenes) are still indie. For instance, most punk labels are still holding to the D.I.Y. mindset, and the poeple in them would rather be dead than publish through a major label or sending videos to MTV etc.
Their aim is not make money, only enough to make more records and perhaps live off it.
I think the spirit of indie labels/radio stations/magazines/scenes are very much alive today, but of course you have some who start think with their wallet than their hearts.

jacknife737
03-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Personally i don't really consider "indie" to be a genre of music at all, it's mostly just something that the hipsters at the local bistro use to separate themselves from the kids who listen to Three Days Grace. It's a label sure, but not a genre. It's also mostly a fucking marketing ploy too, i mean Arcade Fire sells a shitload of albums, plays on SNL, because that is so "totally underground".

That said, I really have nothing against a lot of band's that are labeled as "indie", a lot of them are pretty good (and a fair amount are terrible).

Al Coholic
03-19-2009, 11:50 AM
How very indie.

Anyway, I don't have any negative opinions about indie, but I could never follow it. All the name-dropping makes my head spin sometimes.

I can't express my own opinion better.

Jakebert
03-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Alright, it's time for the BBS' resident indie nerd to chime in.

Indie is not a genre. Let me repeat, it is not a genre. It is a blanket term used to describe basically any kind of band that exists on indie labels or inside that little community. IT IS NOT A GENRE. Various genres make up indie music, including folk, punk, post-rock, hardcore, metal, techno, pop, hip-hop, or whatever. A lot of the punk bands half of you guys here worship are indie bands. Because, again, INDIE IS NOT A GENRE.

Most of those bands you guys think of when you're talking about "indie" music (The Shins, Death Cab, Vampire Weekend, etc) aren't really well liked by the "indie" crowd and the idea that they are doesn't really make sense.

As for stuff like the Arcade Fire showing up on SNL, well, so? They're still on an indie label and still doing their thing based on their own aesthetics, not that of a label. How doesn't that fit under the broad blanket term of "indie"? And "indie" doesn't mean non-popular.

mrconeman
03-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Jakebert: You saying indie isn't a genre doesn't make it not so. The fact is while I'd sooner agree with you (it describes the band because of their label, regardless of style), it has been made into a genre, people are describing all that Block Party/Franz Ferdinand/Arctic Monkeys...you know the type, drony badly played instruments - thats been largely branded as indie music, and there's nothing we can do to change this.

Free?
03-20-2009, 06:54 PM
is that the spanish band dover?i like them

Yes, the good old Spanish Dover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2R1Kmfe9OE) formed by the Llanos sisters. I thought it wasn't hard to figure out by checking my link, but it appears that video "isn't available in my country" anymore. *sigh at youtube*

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
03-20-2009, 07:14 PM
I like Modest Mouse. Fuck you guys.

chicapowerpunk
03-20-2009, 07:36 PM
jajaja Renato, you forget that music is a business, indie, business is just that:cool:

delboy
03-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Well indie just used to mean alternative music put out on an indepedent circuit. But the term has now been adopted to these more recent band. It's kind of the exact same thing that happened to the term "emo".

RageAndLov
03-23-2009, 03:05 PM
When indie started out, it was a genre. Many of the bands who were on independent labels had a similar sound, and therefore this sound became known as indie, even though it is not correct to put it that way. It's like saying pop is a genre; it is even though it really isn't.