PDA

View Full Version : BBS Musical

Homer
03-18-2009, 01:50 AM
Hello, and welcome to the thread.

So, Mr. Thibault has contacted me and apparently Lost and him have been talking about making a musical production involving all of the forums' bands and having them make a part for the musical. Thibault asked me to make this post after giving me the gist of it, so here I go.

Basically, we lay down a simple, Romeo & Juliet plot and then have a different band/member record and submit their allotted piece of the story, and it all gets put together to form a story (musical).

Good idea? I think so.

Personally, I've got many ideas for this, one of them being we try to have each song sound similar in terms of mixing. Therefore, if you have trouble or whatever, just ask me for help. I'm going into audio engineering and this would be fantastic for my portfolio.

Thibault will fill us in with the rest once he's done doing whatever it is he's doing.

Discuss.

randman21
03-18-2009, 03:00 AM
Hehe, cool. I just had an idea like this folkie side project thing (minus the collaboration). I'm definitely down for it...as long as I wouldn't be tasked with coming up with the storyline. I would love to, but I don't have that skill.

Free?
03-18-2009, 04:38 AM
That's a huge idea! But it will require somewhat dedication to make it real, I wish you best luck. :)

ad8
03-18-2009, 07:55 AM
This sounds like a good idea to me. There are just 3 things I'd like to ask:
1 - Who are all the bands of this forum? There are many bands that are not really active, so this will rather be a group of volunteers, I guess.
2 - How much work will this be?

3 - Will we play our style of music or will it be "musical-music"?

_Lost_
03-18-2009, 08:01 AM
FUCK YEAH! I didn't think we'd actually do it! But i soooo wanna!

Outerspaceman21
03-18-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm down for that. I could probably do something of the indie, folkie nature.

_Lost_
03-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Llamas should totally do the prelude and such, cause I see her doing a good job with that, but those need to be done after everything else i guess.

I call the sad female solo when she realizes that love is hard and feels the need to express it musically.

Outerspaceman21
03-18-2009, 10:56 AM
I call the finisher, because I got an idea for an acoustic driven song with lyrics about losing love after a short period of time. I'm tenatively calling it "I Wish We Had More Time".

Or just another album filler if no one likes it.

jacknife737
03-18-2009, 11:44 AM
This sounds like a really cool idea.

Unfortunately my lack of musical talent would prevent me from joining in on the fun, but i really look forwards to seeing the final product, i hope you guys are all able to go through with it.

RonWelty
03-18-2009, 11:47 AM
it has to be a musical like rent

Gustavo
03-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Well... since I have no talent at all, I can't help you guys. :(
But still, good luck to those of you who are going for it, can't wait to hear the whole thing when it's all done! :)

Superdope
03-18-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm down with this. Just waiting for more info.

IamSam
03-18-2009, 02:24 PM
My Fair Lady would be quite sick.

"The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain"...

T-6005
03-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Now that I have slept off my much-deserved headache, I can think about this. The idea is pretty much what Homer said - I was thinking of a 4 or 5 part sort of story arc with a simple love story. We'd be focusing more on the plot elements that move the story along rather than the characters, if you know what I mean.

Part one would be exposition and the meeting of the two destined lovers. Part two would be their passionate, yet brief and forbidden romance. Part three would be them being discovered and the main dude being kicked out and warned never to come back. Part four would be the sort of climax - his return and confrontation and the eventual resolution (whether positive or negative) of the love arc, followed by the final part which is sort of an outro, wrapping up the past songs.

Each part would require between one and three songs, I imagine. For example, part one could easily be two songs, while part three, which is kind of a short but necessary plot point in itself, only needs one or two (perhaps one about his being ejected and separated from the girl and then Lost's idea about the girl singing about how hard love is and all). Depending on how many bands are up for it, it could really be anywhere from seven songs to more than ten.

If anyone has more plot ideas, feel free to inject them - perhaps we should make a chart of everyone's songs, to see what we have. I call the boy being ejected from the girl's house by her family who have discovered them!

I'll edit this as more people officially decide. No one's limited to just one song and this plot is an outline more than an actual structure. I'll put people in with their suggestions and bold them once they're certain it's what they want to do.

Part I - Introduction/Exposition

Part II - Brief yet passionate love affair.
Coke a holic - love affair
Lost - Love Affair

Part III - Discovery and ejection of the boy by the girl's family.
Thibault - Boy Gets Thrown Out and Told not to come back
Lost - Love is hard by Girl
Randman - Love is Hard by Boy

Part IV - Return of the boy, main conflict
Coke a holic - Return of the boy
Homer and Superdope - Main Conflict (Possible Death)

Part V - Denouement
Outerspaceman - Wish We had more time

RonWelty
03-18-2009, 02:57 PM
I can write lyrics, but people, I'm afraid this is too much for us.

Here is my idea:

How about making a musical about a band, with some members, that was forgotten by mainstream, and it would talk about the tale and all the drama about making them big again. And it would be finish in a fuckin great FINALE with Dexter Holland giving us some vocals!

Homer
03-18-2009, 03:08 PM
I call doing the main conflict. Just some sort of a 'fight' between some characters, which could even end with a death.

Fightin' music is what I'm good at.

_Lost_
03-18-2009, 03:13 PM
I can write lyrics, but people, I'm afraid this is too much for us.

Here is my idea:

How about making a musical about a band, with some members, that was forgotten by mainstream, and it would talk about the tale and all the drama about making them big again. And it would be finish in a fuckin great FINALE with Dexter Holland giving us some vocals!

fuck that! we're gonna take this shit straight to broadway! And Thi, I've been working on a progression for some time now and I've somehow managed to combine it and something else. It would be perfect for my sad heartbroken confession.

T-6005
03-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Alright - Homer, you're in part IV - you get the Main conflict. I think another song in part IV concerning his decision to return would also be good, if someone can do it. Feel free to put a death in it, just make sure you tell everyone else so we can all plan our songs accordingly. If it's going to end well, for example, Outerspaceman's idea of a song about lost love wouldn't really work.

I guess the boy or girl dying in the final conflict would be best.

And Lost does the girl's sad heartbroken song once her boyfriend is thrown out.

And I get to do the family throwing the boy out. Awesome.

Superdope
03-18-2009, 03:21 PM
I wanna help with the conflict part.

T-6005
03-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Well, if you want we could split the conflict, have two different aspects of the fight, like the beginning and the aftermath, but it sounds easier if Homer just does the whole conflict. But the beginning of the conflict - the boy returning and confronting the family - could you do that?

And you could always work it out with Homer if you want part of the actual fight.

Homer
03-18-2009, 03:23 PM
I wanna help with the conflict part.

Hm, alright. We can make it a fuckin' long-ass 15 minute collaboration.

Awesome.

Superdope
03-18-2009, 03:25 PM
...and awesomeness ensued.

But yeah, however you want to do it. let's figure it out.

T-6005
03-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Alright, done - Superdope and Homer on the main conflict together.

Homer
03-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Alright, awesome.

But I'll tell you right now. I'm fussy! So, uh, I think it'll end up having me record the majority (record, not writing) and you can like, send me recordings and stuff and I can mix it all together.

coke_a_holic
03-18-2009, 04:00 PM
I'd be happy to help Thi write a general outline for the story and I'd like to write/record a song for any of the parts.

I think I'd be most suited for the triumphant return of the boy, but I would be so down for the passionate/forbidden love affair, as well, but I'd do anything, really.

Superdope
03-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Alright, awesome.

But I'll tell you right now. I'm fussy! So, uh, I think it'll end up having me record the majority (record, not writing) and you can like, send me recordings and stuff and I can mix it all together.

I'm fussy as hell too, so this will either work out perfectly or be catastrophic :P

T-6005
03-18-2009, 04:20 PM
I'd be happy to help Thi write a general outline for the story and I'd like to write/record a song for any of the parts.

I think I'd be most suited for the triumphant return of the boy, but I would be so down for the passionate/forbidden love affair, as well, but I'd do anything, really.

I think the way I have the outline is good - people can fill in the details in their own songs so that it can be the way they want. As long as they mention the details to others it should end up fine since the main plot is pretty simple black and white.

And I guess I'll put you down for both forbidden love affair and triumphant return but not bold you in just yet, so you can still decide.

Oh yeah - guys, I think it would help if we gave names to our two lovebirds. I veto Romeo and Juliet.

Outerspaceman21
03-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Yeah, bold my name. I would like to do something for the end.

Bipolar Bear
03-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Oh yeah - guys, I think it would help if we gave names to our two lovebirds. I veto Romeo and Juliet.

Bipolar Bear & Cock Joke

coke_a_holic
03-18-2009, 06:17 PM
TripBoy and Duskygrin

_Lost_
03-18-2009, 06:20 PM
TripBoy and Duskygrin

LOL!

though Justin and Maria doesn't sound too bad....

randman21
03-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Hmm, is there room between "boy gets thrown out" and "return of the boy" for "boy sits in a bar, wallowing in his misfortunes, until he decides that he's going to return"? If Thibault or Mike planned to cover something like that in their sections, that's fine. If not, I can do it.

Outerspaceman21
03-18-2009, 07:19 PM
LOL!

though Justin and Maria doesn't sound too bad....

Yeah, it doesn't. I frankly don't about the name right now as much as what we are going to do with the story because I read that a happy ending might need to take place and that ruins my concept.

T-6005
03-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Hmm, is there room between "boy gets thrown out" and "return of the boy" for "boy sits in a bar, wallowing in his misfortunes, until he decides that he's going to return"? If Thibault or Mike planned to cover something like that in their sections, that's fine. If not, I can do it.

That should be a part of section III, you're right! I think if you do the sad boy and Lost does the sad girl after I do boy getting kicked out it'll work well. Then you end with his desire to go back - then return of the boy and battle, then denouement.

I'll put you down for that. And I guess Homer and Superdope have to make sure that the love story ends badly. Outerspace man, I'll bold your name for the last section.

Outerspaceman21
03-18-2009, 08:14 PM
That should be a part of section III, you're right! I think if you do the sad boy and Lost does the sad girl after I do boy getting kicked out it'll work well. Then you end with his desire to go back - then return of the boy and battle, then denouement.

I'll put you down for that. And I guess Homer and Superdope have to make sure that the love story ends badly. Outerspace man, I'll bold your name for the last section.

Thanks. I got some ideas right now and I need to hear some of the other stuff to sorta match the feel.

coke_a_holic
03-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I vote for a duet between the sad boy and the sad girl, from each of their respective locations.

I mean, COME ON, it's a musical!

_Lost_
03-18-2009, 08:28 PM

i think if there is the depressed girl, then that pretty much makes it a requirement for the guy to sing something incredibly heartfelt and cheesy as well.

I vote for a duet between the sad boy and the sad girl, from each of their respective locations.

I mean, COME ON, it's a musical!

it can be done. i'll have to talk to randy outside of the boards. maybe he and i can get together and jam in person. we've talked about that anyway.

i kind of hear it as like 2 different songs back and forth and then eventually they come together as one.

T-6005
03-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Hey, as long as we all stick to the script, it's your show.

Outerspaceman21
03-19-2009, 12:48 AM
it can be done. i'll have to talk to randy outside of the boards. maybe he and i can get together and jam in person. we've talked about that anyway.

i kind of hear it as like 2 different songs back and forth and then eventually they come together as one.

That reminds me, do you guys want to make it so that it's just one male singer and one female singer or do you want to do a string of different male vocals doing the same person?

Does it matter?

randman21
03-19-2009, 04:44 AM
Multiple. I think it definitely matters, as there are so many guys here who sing.

_Lost_
03-19-2009, 07:05 AM
i know it would be a lot of work, but i kind of almost think that maybe, once the initial songs are recorded and posted, then maybe they can be redone to have consistent characters.

and don't forget you guys, there have to be other characters too. Mom, Dad, Jealous Ex, etc... or whatever.

T-6005
03-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Multiple. I think it definitely matters, as there are so many guys here who sing.

Way to make us sound like a bunch of faggy thespians.

"Oh, we're all in a MUSICAL that we're organizing over the INTERNET."

Anywho - I think the logistics of having everyone play a different part that features in multiple songs would get a little too confusing to keep track of. And with everybody being one character it might make it annoying for people who volunteer for a certain project, who realize that they might have to let others sing on their track instead of them - what if they don't want that?

Rooster
03-19-2009, 03:30 PM
This seems a really good idea. But i don't think i could help. I'm busy with my study, and writing songs for my own band (i'm the main songwriter), and there is something else in my mind...

But i'll deffinitely check out this thread to see the progress :)

RonWelty
03-19-2009, 04:39 PM
As I said, I can draw some lyrics.

Homer
03-20-2009, 12:47 AM
I'm a good writer.

Me and my creativity.

T-6005
03-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Alright, well - I guess we're expanding our roles if no one else is joining.

Coke - you're down for possible Return of the Boy and for the love Affair. Lost is also down as a potential for the love affair. No one has volunteered to do the introduction/exposition. Once we get those slots filled we can get started.

RonWelty, if you want, you could always write an introduction as a spoken word thing - then just record it on any microphone and one of the rest of us can lay a musical track on the bottom.

coke_a_holic
03-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Hm, well, I'll take the triumphant return, then, if Lost wants to do the love affair. I could also do the intro/exposition, but I feel like you, Lost, or Homer might be better choices for it, as you guys kind of came up with the whole idea (I think it was you three, anyway... I don't know).

RickyCrack
03-20-2009, 04:13 PM
I'll do something when I have time... maybe I'll do a prelude or something gay like that, like lost mentioned.

edit: oh lolz iz llamas

T-6005
03-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Alright, coke is down for Return of the Boy.

Any thoughts on timeframe? Like by when we should have these done? I figure if we leave it too long nothing will get done, but too short and everything will suck.

Outerspaceman21
03-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Give me a while to work on the closer. I'm working on the rough right now.