PDA

View Full Version : Genealogy

Blitzkrieg Bop
03-22-2009, 05:56 AM
Genealogy is the study of families and the tracing of their lineages and history. Genealogists use oral traditions, historical records, genetic analysis, and other records to obtain information about a family and to demonstrate kinship and pedigrees of its members. The results are often displayed in charts or written as narratives.

Some scholars differentiate between genealogy and family history, limiting genealogy to an account of kinship, while using "family history" to denote the provision of additional details about lives and historical context.

The reason for this thread is twofold:

First, I am looking for some help I trying to research my grandfather and his side of the family, however all sites that I visit tend to be directed towards the States or the UK and I know that my grandfather lived and died in Germany. I know that we have a few German members here and was wondering if anyone knows a site specifically dedicated to Germany citizens. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Second, I thought that this topic would be great to discuss, to share opinions and views. I also enclose a few links, if anyone is interested in doing some exploring.

http://www.findmypast.com/home.jsp?77tadunit=9f0c22e4&77tadvert=2507357099&77tkeyword=genealogy&77tentrytype=s

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

http://www.genealogy.com/index_a.html

http://www.genealogy.org/

Drafan
03-22-2009, 09:51 AM
One day Im gonna try the genographic project (National Geographic)

T-6005
03-22-2009, 10:39 AM
"Mr. Reginald Twombley Dunn-Twerpp - who is not very bright, weighs 110 pounds and is the first to climb on a chair at sight of a mouse - likes to boast that he is descended from William the Conqueror and that the steel-blue blood of ancient warriors flows in his veins. To prove it he will show you his family tree and a beautiful hand-painted crest, prepared by a genealogist in Boston for fifty dollars."
-Amram Scheinfeld

Rutegard
03-22-2009, 01:08 PM
that is awesome

good luck with that!

hangovered
03-22-2009, 01:16 PM
I was trying to do the same and you have to prepare it's costly. You can start at visiting some social webs (I hope you know what I mean), maybe someone related to you (and you don't even know he is;)) was searching for your genealogy.

JoY
03-22-2009, 03:31 PM
what about Googling your grandfather's last name?

Rutegard
03-22-2009, 03:35 PM
huumm something is telling me that she already did that!

Tijs
03-22-2009, 03:42 PM
My dad made a family tree of both ways a while ago. It's pretty cool.

Turns out I'm somewhat inbreed.

Rutegard
03-22-2009, 03:45 PM

dude that sucks, but if this gives you any confort, we (human breed as we know it) used to be just about 7000 sometime ago! we suffered a bottleneck effect, so, if you think like that, hum, your case is not that bad :P

JoY
03-22-2009, 03:46 PM
huumm something is telling me that she already did that!

you'd be surprised at what people don't come up with for themselves.

Rutegard
03-22-2009, 03:48 PM
you'd be surprised at what people don't come up with for themselves.

i know :P but she is not "the common people". yep.

i really think she is going to waste lot of money to make her dream come true.

Tijs
03-22-2009, 03:57 PM
dude that sucks, but if this gives you any confort, we (human breed as we know it) used to be just about 7000 sometime ago! we suffered a bottleneck effect, so, if you think like that, hum, your case is not that bad :PIt's not like my parents are brother and sister, but they share great-great-great-parents or something. Like.. 5 or 6 generations ago, which means 4 out of 128/256 people are actually 2 people.

Rutegard
03-22-2009, 03:58 PM
It's not like my parents are brother and sister, but their they share great-great-great-parents or something. Like.. 5 or 6 generations ago, which means 4 out of 128/256 people are actually 2 people.

i know...but seriously, at some point, we all have the same prob in our own family, so, welcome to the group :P

and wow, must have been really crazy finding that out!!

wheelchairman
03-22-2009, 04:00 PM
It's not like my parents are brother and sister, but their they share great-great-great-parents or something. Like.. 5 or 6 generations ago, which means 4 out of 128/256 people are actually 2 people.

What does that mean?

Rutegard
03-22-2009, 04:02 PM
What does that mean?

i think he is talking about genetic variety, ....aren't you?

Tijs
03-22-2009, 04:11 PM
What does that mean?It means that I finally have an explanation for that weird knob on my chest?

Seriously though:

(1) Me
(2) Mom | Dad
(3) Grandpa #1 Grandma #1 | Grandpa #2 Grandpa #3

So that's
Generation 1: 1 person
Generation 2: 2 persons
Generation 3: 4 persons
... make that list 6 generations starting from my parents:
Generation 4: 8 persons
Generation 5: 16 persons
Generation 6: 32 persons
Generation 7: 64 persons
Generation 8: 128 persons - 64 of which from my dad's branch, 64 from my mom's branch. But two of the 64 people from my dad's branch also appear between the 64 people in my mom's branch.

I think I said that.

Rutegard
03-22-2009, 04:13 PM
It means that I finally have an explanation for that weird knob on my chest?

pardon me. i was thinking about alleles ehehe....not funny :P

Blitzkrieg Bop
03-23-2009, 09:36 AM
what about Googling your grandfather's last name?

I have tried this and plenty of other avenues to get to some sort of a result ... but no luck as yet. The other problem is that his last name is pretty common, and basically every generation has the same first names *family name thing* I starting to think that this is going to be like finding a needle in a haystack.

That is pretty cool and you are very lucky to have this. I have my generation, my parents generation and partly my grandparents generation *just missing the one* I have also been lucky enough to find out stuff about my greatgrandparents generations, while searching for the missing link.

batfish
03-23-2009, 12:46 PM

Me too :(

But way back in the 17th century, so that's ok. Almost normal for a small farming community anyway. That was on my dad's side.

The family tree on my mum's side has only been traced as far back as the 1830s, last known incident was death by falling off a haystack. Most interesting incident was a great-great-great grandmother fleeing from an evil stepfather with various family heirlooms (since lost).