PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica! (spoilers!)

wheelchairman
03-23-2009, 08:24 PM
This post is pretty much going to have spoilers (Tigh kills Adama!) from the get-go, so if you haven't seen the show, or haven't finished it I would move your mouse away from the title of this thread, and if you opened this thread you should certainly stop reading.

I just finished the series now and I must say that the ending was amazing. Season 4 really dragged on for obvious reasons, and I was getting sick of how a continuing theme of this show is that these characters never get a break, and even when they do get a break it turns out to be one of the worst things that's ever happened to them. In fact that started to annoy me so much I was thinking...hmm this really isn't better than Star Trek when you get down to it.

But now that it's over I'm just really impressed. I loved the ending. I didn't really enjoy parts of it while I was watching, like "They are just going to settle down and throw away all their technology to live like primitives...wtf?" but when it was put into context it made sense.

I made the mistake of watching the webisodes until just before the finale, (for one thing you can't watch them on the official site unless you live in the US, which is retarded). So Gaeta's (or more like Gayta, am I right?) actions during the mutiny (awesome couple of episodes) seemed less logical than they should have, in a way. Especially since I always like Gaeta from early on, despite him becoming totally EVIL. But hey he was never as bad as Boomer who Maartje sympathized with always. I mean christ Boomer is the anti-christ really. There is nothing to re-deem boomer, wow Maartje sure knows how to pick'em. She can't read this thread yet because she hasn't seen the final episodes so I'm just going to make fun of her behind her back for a while.

Have any of you followed Battlestar? What have your thoughts been? Let's talk about Battlestar, all the time.

p.s. Apparently there will be a TV movie based in the battlestar universe called 'The Plan'. Supposedly it will follow the attack on the 12 colonies from the cylon point of view, and according to Edward James Olmos make you need to re-see everything in the series. Should rock. I've really enjoyed the whole universe, including the webisodes and Razor. I can't wait to watch it again, but yeah it's one of those things that I'm going to wait a while for.

Endymion
03-24-2009, 02:25 AM
i've watched it all. enjoyed it all. there were some aspects of the finale i didn't like, but overall i thought it was fantastically well done.

T-6005
03-24-2009, 08:55 AM
I have not watched Battlestar Galactica. Nor did I read your post.

But late last night, right before I checked the forums and found your thread, I decided to download the miniseries and the first season.

wheelchairman
03-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Good for you. You're in for a great ride.

sKratch
03-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Overall I think it was by far the greatest scifi show to ever be produced. One of the most important moves was ending it before it got bad. I think if it had another season it would start to drag real bad (how about Stargate SG-1, which ran 10 seasons with the original plot ending around season 5?). I loved the characters and from the very beginning I was really captivated by the whole "holy fuck all of humanity got asploded!" thing.

The finale was good. Some parts were fantastic, others were good, and one or two things were sort of bad. I was very happy that the finale was a happy ending; I was worried that everyone would get fucked. The thing I liked least was Starbuck not being really explained, and Moore said that was done one purpose.

wheelchairman
03-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Yeah I think she was supposed to be some kind of angel or something, at least that was the impression I got. And definitely I enjoyed it as probably one of the best sci-fi shows I've ever seen. Also because unlike Stargate it was more like one long movie than anything else.

I used to really like Stargate but I saw one of the episodes recently, and it was terrible. Just kind of infantile in a way, "oh here we are at the viking planet." Lame.

wheelchairman
03-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Bumplestar Galactica!

Jebus
03-25-2009, 07:15 PM
I liked it. I especially loved the visuals from the first half of the episode. I still have my gripes about some completely illogical actions/decisions from the characters (not just in the finale), but I guess the show wouldn't be as interesting without them. And that angel stuff was a total cop out. I was hoping for a more scifish explanation than religious.

Also, I decided to catch up on Stargate Atlantis a couple weeks ago. Man, I never noticed how shitty it is in comparison, not to mention the cgi. I'm still pissed we're never going to find out about the Furlings. fucking cocktease.

T-6005
04-08-2009, 02:54 PM
So I'm halfway through Season 2 and I really need to know.

Does this religious bullshit seriously continue throughout the series? Because that's unbelievably stupid and aggravating. Also, the scenes with Gaius Baltar that happen in his head are similarly stupid - and they have a tendency to eat up nearly a third of episodes, which really makes the show just drag on and on. Please tell me it ends sometime.

wheelchairman
04-08-2009, 03:25 PM
As far as I remember, the religious stuff peaks and then disappears completely. I don't think they go very much into it in season 4. And actually once you've seen the whole story, to the end the gaius baltar story arc is pretty funny. But yeah it's pretty funny once they try to brand him as jesus.

You might think that's a spoiler but you haven't seen how they do it. Fuckin' A.

I did like how the cylons and humans were divided between monotheistic and polytheistic religions, and once you see the whole series you understand why they did that. That's not a spoiler cause you don't know shit.

p.s. I want more wheel of time. I finally convinced a friend to read it. I now like him more than Maartje. Fuck Tizz.