PDA

View Full Version : Thought

Al Coholic
03-26-2009, 05:37 PM
This just sorta floated in my head in thread form:

Which do you think has had a greater net positive impact on society, Religion or Sports? Think about it...

Religion fills a basic need of human life. Many of them. It gives people hope, purpose, belonging. It motivates and demonstrates. Faith can help turn your life around(eg convicts and drug addicts). Religion and studies into philosophy have helped stabilize society and give us a greater understanding of our world. Even if you don't believe, you owe that much to religion.

Or do you? The flip side is that there's been a whole lot of atrocities having to do with religion. Differences in religion can lead to persectution, inquistion, or just plain old war. Some think we'd be better off without this superstition, this waste of time and effort, and just empower ourselves.

Then there's sports. While sports do not fullfill a spiritual need(well, some fans can go a little nuts), it certainly does a lot of good. Sometimes its nice even when life is hopeless to sit down and watch a good game. Playing sports is fun, and it keeps us all in shape. There's relatively no downside that sports causes to society. I think a vast majority of us either play or follow some kind of sport. It gives us hobbies, passions, and for millions careers. Team sports especially teach a lot of values. They teach through doing, and learning from experience is the best kind there is. According to an ad I saw on television, they even keep kids off drugs.

Sure, I may be comparing apples to oranges. But then again, I like oranges better. Usually. Apples are cool because you don't have to peel them and you don't get sticky, but if you have the orange already peeled and good to go I'd take the orange almost everytime. Easily compared enough, so this sports/religion thing shouldn't be any harder.

Your thoughts.

Cock Joke
03-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Sportz because they're awesome.

T-6005
03-26-2009, 05:39 PM
In some fields they're both viewed as social rituals, and thus very much the same thing.

That makes it like comparing pears with pears, because pears are better than apples and oranges.

Jebus
03-26-2009, 05:42 PM
At least we got some sweet art out of religion and it was a big help with developing our architecture skillz.

Al Coholic
03-26-2009, 05:46 PM
You know, when I put in the apples/oranges thing I thought "somebodys gonna talk about fruit and likely shift the whole conversation in that direction. I know I would"

and then I thought "yeah but if I don't somebody will say these two are hard to compare if not incompatible, and half the pussyfooters here will agree, thusly watering down a potentially good discussion"

Now I'm thinking "because I wrote that^, somebody's going to come up with some other analogy I could have used, or way I could have phrased things that didn't involve fruit. But fuck that and fuck them I do things my way. I also wonder if having written that last thing will stop people from making said suggestion. Or if that last sentence will just entice it. Also, I've already written too much because if I continue in this directionless train of thought my other stupid thought will never actually be the topic, so I better stop now."

You just can't win.

Llamas
03-26-2009, 10:05 PM
No genocide was ever committed in the name of the LA Clippers. No countries were discovered because Derek Jeter told them to. Nobody was ever hung on a cross cause he played for the Green Bay Packers.

I'm sorry, but religion kicks sports' ass.

renato piquette
03-26-2009, 10:15 PM
i hate how religion creates chaos,wars and negative stuff,and the fat pigs priests take all the money in the name of god,im not religious,im not against god but i hate the church

Vera
03-27-2009, 04:15 AM
Sports is a luxury. People wouldn't kick a ball around in forms of teams towards the object of winning a game unless they had a considerable amount of free time, time that they don't have to spend working on producing food by farming or hunting or whatever. In terms of a modern society where people have enough free time not only to play sports but to watch other people play sports, and have enough money to spend money on that - owning a TV, going to games - which creates a whole industry of sports where some people can actually earn a living by playing sports, it's quite a level of advancement.

On the other hand, religion exists in some form in all societies, throughout human history. I don't know if it's absolutely crucial to survival, probably not, but it certainly seems to fulfill some very primary need.

Then again, sports in a society where some people are rich and some are poor can provide people of lower status a means to gain riches and increase their status. A kid from Brazilian slums can become a millionaire by playing football. So in a way it's a fantastic thing.

Eh, I can't compare the two at all. The way I see it, religion dates back to day 1 of human existence (probably). Sports is largely a modern phenomenon born because the elites wanted to entertain themselves with something.

ad8
03-27-2009, 05:41 AM
I think it depends on the people who exercise it. There are those who use sports as a way to improve their health and religion as a way to learn how to treat other people well. In this case I think that religion is better. But it's only better if exercised by a good person. If a bad person abuses sports to gain self esteem and to think that he's a better person than everyone else then I think that it's not as bad as people who abuse religion to propagate hate and suppression of other groups of people.

Offspring-Junkie
03-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Sports bring people to talk together. Religions bring people to hate and kill each other. But if you look closer at ManU fans... it's relative.

Al Coholic
03-27-2009, 11:22 AM
You people have a very negative concept of religion. Does not a religion bring us together, even if it sometimes pits groups against eachother? Would there have been countries, cities, or even communities if we were not all children of God? What moved us form hunter-gatherer tribes was basically the discovery and mastery of agriculture. What civilized us over time is owed in large part to religion.

Flux
03-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Religion. I would say so because almost everyone has an optimistic spiritual belief, maybe even the sport stars themselves.
Also, not every human being likes sport, so I’m pretty sure religion will outnumber, especially by those crazy cults.

BTW, I’m not at all religious and I like some sport. Winter sports.

Offspring-Junkie
03-27-2009, 12:19 PM
You people have a very negative concept of religion. Does not a religion bring us together, even if it sometimes pits groups against eachother? Would there have been countries, cities, or even communities if we were not all children of God? What moved us form hunter-gatherer tribes was basically the discovery and mastery of agriculture. What civilized us over time is owed in large part to religion.

Nah, it's not that bad. I do agree with you (religion brings people together), but there are VERY bad examples of what religion does to people. Aborigines, Jews and any kind of minorities. In the name of god many people had to lose their lives. That's why I voted for sports.