PDA

View Full Version : and i thought the US school system was bad...

Endymion
03-28-2009, 12:10 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7967600.stm

_Lost_
03-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Our moon seems to disappear during an eclipse. Some people say this is because an old lady covers the moon with her cloak. She does this so that thieves cannot steal the shiny coins on the surface. Which of these would help scientists to prove or disprove this idea?

A) Collect evidence from people who believe the lady sees the thieves

B) Shout to the lady that the thieves are coming

C) Send a probe to the moon to search for coins

D) Look for fingerprints

this is just.... woooow. i mean... dammmnn

The Talking Pie
03-28-2009, 01:12 PM
That all sounds about right... The kids here are just plain stupid.

I particularly enjoyed the positron question.

SweetTatyana
03-28-2009, 01:56 PM
I don't understand why asking a kid to design a scientific experiment would be changed to some abstract, mythical non-sense? science would confuse that hell out of me if questions were asked like that here lol

anyway or this:

When we sweat water leaves the body through…

A) Kidneys B) Liver C) Lungs D) Skin

anyone who has ever broken a sweat would know the answer to this, as well as sweat is not just water its also has minerals, lactate and urea dissolved so thats pretty bad wording to be coming from a school system

and Endy you have the best avatar !

the_offsprings_monkey
03-29-2009, 06:20 PM
That looks like the lowest set would've done that. And the highest mark people in the lowest set was looking at is a D, I think. But those who choose to learn and don't fuck about really can go far and do well. It pisses me off how people just look at the bad side of things, and never the good..

mrconeman
03-29-2009, 06:28 PM
As shockingly retarded as those questions are, TOM makes a good point.

Those questions are on a foundation tier paper, meaning even if the candidate gets 100% of the questions correct, he/she gets a grade D anyway. They reserve retarded questions for retarded people.

Endymion
03-29-2009, 06:43 PM
where does it say those sample questions are all from the foundation level?

also, the statistics for the higher tier stuff are still shocking:

Higher tier

Finally, once again, it has to be reported that the amazing percentage of 59% of higher level candidates think the current in a wire is the movement of positive electrons.

Thomas
03-29-2009, 06:45 PM
I looked at the online members and there was 69 guests lololol!

If this doesn't say anything about the state of education, I don't know what does...

mrconeman
03-29-2009, 06:52 PM
where does it say those sample questions are all from the foundation level?

It doesn't. But I did GCSE double award science under the U.K education system (AQA board I think...) at higher tier (and passed with B/B) and didn't see any questions even half as retarded as that, so I'm assuming they're from the foundation tier.

also, the statistics for the higher tier stuff are still shocking:
Now that I can't and won't defend, but at least the tests were asking reasonable questions, it's just the students who were shockingly retarded in this case.

Endymion
03-29-2009, 07:06 PM
just for the record, this wasn't to insult the intelligence of the british -- on a well-prepared science exam and having gone though the same classes, i'm sure american and british kids would do around the same -- but what shocks and disgusts me is that questions such as these are even asked.

even those 'higher tier' questions are worthless: 'what is current?' doesn't test ones knowledge of science (even if they get it correct, which apparently the majority did not), it's just regurgitating a definition, it doesn't test ones reasoning or understanding of actual physical or scientific principles.

The Talking Pie
03-30-2009, 10:00 AM
it's just regurgitating a definition, it doesn't test ones reasoning or understanding of actual physical or scientific principles.

That's why I failed Physics, and why I loathe the examination system here. People who have a natural understanding of a subject will tend to fail if they don't regurgitate what someone out of a book has said.

I failed to get a well-deserved A in A-Level Computing because I put too much 'AI' into my programming project and made the damn thing do what it was supposed to without waiting for the user to tell it how to add up sums (seriously; the spec called for numbers to be shown on screen and then the user to tell the programme what the answer was before it could continue, with no validation whatsoever).

Rutegard
03-30-2009, 10:13 AM
I don't understand why asking a kid to design a scientific experiment would be changed to some abstract, mythical non-sense? science would confuse that hell out of me if questions were asked like that here lol

i don't see nothing wrong with that question, as long as it was stated that it was 100% fictional. i might do that to my kids to see how scientfically they can think.

edit: i would like them to justify the answer.....

nameless
03-30-2009, 05:32 PM
That's why I failed Physics, and why I loathe the examination system here. People who have a natural understanding of a subject will tend to fail if they don't regurgitate what someone out of a book has said.

I failed to get a well-deserved A in A-Level Computing because I put too much 'AI' into my programming project and made the damn thing do what it was supposed to without waiting for the user to tell it how to add up sums (seriously; the spec called for numbers to be shown on screen and then the user to tell the programme what the answer was before it could continue, with no validation whatsoever).

i agree, its been a while since ive taken any exams but it was becoming the case where you had to answer everything exactly the way examiners wanted to hear, anything else you would just get marked down on!