PDA

View Full Version : Earth Hour 2009

Stylie
03-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Huh, I'm surprised that it didn't exist any threads about this (until now).
Anyway, the so called Earth Hour's beginning in about 3 minutes now. Are you in? Well, I'm gonna turn of the lights here, but I think I must have the computer on. ;p

http://onlyinsilence.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/earth-hour.gif

Blitzkrieg Bop
03-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I participated ... my hour just ended :)

Stylie
03-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Aha, good. I thought it was the same time over the whole world, but okey...isn't that a bit weird?
And yeah, I've turned of all the lights here now. Pretty dark here, the only light that's left is from my screen. ^^

dr.vanessa
03-28-2009, 12:44 PM
my hour is over too:D

Blitzkrieg Bop
03-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Aha, good. I thought it was the same time over the whole world, but okey...isn't that a bit weird?
And yeah, I've turned of all the lights here now. Pretty dark here, the only light that's left is from my screen. ^^

I thought the same thing at first but then realized it was 8:30 pm in every country.

All lights were switched off here, pretty dark. It is really amazing how much we all rely on electricity ... I even unplugged the power source to my laptop :D

Rooster
03-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Well, i'm not sure how much that would help, probably it wouldn't. I study archaeology, and we've learned during our lessons that today the CO2 level in the atmosphere is not very high, compared to the past periods - the highest CO2 level was 300% higher (yes, 300!) than today. There was no ice sheet anywhere on Earth. Now we are probably just in an interglacial period (a bit warmer period between glacial periods), so the we can expect another ice age and colder temperatures anyway - just nobody knows when.

My point is, we can't stop it. Animal species went extinct in the past, and they will go extinct in the future also. It's just how things go. Sure, humans are responsible for the global warming, but only to a certain degree. it would happen with or without us. Now we've probably just postponed the next ice age (that's fine with me, i hate cold weather anyway).

We'll just have to get used to living with it.

SweetTatyana
03-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Earth hour is about making a stand to politicians in support of enacting/developing strategies to fight climate change soo I'm totally in, 4 hours until then here :)

Rooster
03-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Earth hour is about making a stand to politicians in support of enacting/developing strategies to fight climate change soo I'm totally in, 4 hours until then here :)

Yes, but even politicians can't change much, that was my point.

Maybe it would help a bit, but not much.

Besides, i wonder how much do politicians care about the "Earth hour" anyway. Most of them care only about $$ or signs...

SweetTatyana
03-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Some politicians do have decent plans to attempt to reverse climate change, although I do believe Harper needs to step it up. But, it's also about votes right? I realize money is tight everywhere but if enough people act the government will have to listen?

I have not looked into it as much as I'd like to however, I am not ready to throw it away as a lost cause. Even if we can make efforts to extend the life of our planet for future generations it would be worth it even if a permanent cure is never found. Plus, when need and funds are available, its pretty amazing what human minds can come up with.

Free?
03-28-2009, 01:49 PM
http://onlyinsilence.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/earth-hour.gif
That's just stupid. What's the point? I'm so damn sure that 0.0005% of Earth population who would actually decide to participate wouldn't achieve anything except a reason to be proud about themselves. The more I think of it, the more ridiculous it becomes. Even a week without any electricity at all wouldn't make a change. Shit is fucked up.
Even if it's just some kind of political statement, it wouldn't make any difference. Like politicians would really care if you switched the lights off for an hour.

I wonder, was the www.earthhour.org website running during that hour?
No hate, no intention of being harsh, just saying my opinion.

SweetTatyana
03-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Well 'that hour' is very different all around the earth so it would have to be down all day and then how would they get the word out?

Free?
03-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Then it is even more meaningless by separating the "lights off" time in time zones. Even less effect. But the question was about how dedicated the organizers are, it would at least look more honest if they would shut the site down, dontcha think? Now everyone who "cheated" could go online and see that organizers were "cheating" as well ;].

Al Coholic
03-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Well, i'm not sure how much that would help, probably it wouldn't. I study archaeology, and we've learned during our lessons that today the CO2 level in the atmosphere is not very high, compared to the past periods - the highest CO2 level was 300% higher (yes, 300!) than today. There was no ice sheet anywhere on Earth. Now we are probably just in an interglacial period (a bit warmer period between glacial periods), so the we can expect another ice age and colder temperatures anyway - just nobody knows when.

My point is, we can't stop it. Animal species went extinct in the past, and they will go extinct in the future also. It's just how things go. Sure, humans are responsible for the global warming, but only to a certain degree. it would happen with or without us. Now we've probably just postponed the next ice age (that's fine with me, i hate cold weather anyway).

We'll just have to get used to living with it.

Actually, there's no reason we should exacerbate the problem and chalk it up to a natural process. Throwing gas on a fire seems moronic even if the building's comin down sooner or later.

That said I expect this mumbo jumbo to be a complete failure or having any real impact on anything. I think if you take into account all the commercial and industrial activity that consumes sizeable portions of our energy use anyway, the result of a small fraction of households turning off their some lights (while their fridge, computers, water hearers, etc. stay running) for an hour would be a drop out of the ocean.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if I heard that all the money spent on advertising this shit was instead dumped into planting trees or some other eco-activity it would have a greater net effect.

I'm assuming this thing is more to get people concious of the environment than to really do anything. Hell, I don't even keep lights on unless I'm in that room, and people sitting in the dark watching tv probably uses more energy anyway.

Damn you, Erin E-surance.

jacknife737
03-28-2009, 03:06 PM
meh 10 characters

Rooster
03-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Actually, there's no reason we should exacerbate the problem and chalk it up to a natural process. Throwing gas on a fire seems moronic even if the building's comin down sooner or later.

That said I expect this mumbo jumbo to be a complete failure or having any real impact on anything. I think if you take into account all the commercial and industrial activity that consumes sizeable portions of our energy use anyway, the result of a small fraction of households turning off their some lights (while their fridge, computers, water hearers, etc. stay running) for an hour would be a drop out of the ocean.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if I heard that all the money spent on advertising this shit was instead dumped into planting trees or some other eco-activity it would have a greater net effect.

I'm assuming this thing is more to get people concious of the environment than to really do anything. Hell, I don't even keep lights on unless I'm in that room, and people sitting in the dark watching tv probably uses more energy anyway.

Damn you, Erin E-surance.

You have a good point. Global warming is not all natural proces (at least the recent warming), humans helped to make it a bigger problem - there are evidences that CO2 level is rising since the industrial revolution (evidences are seen in the way trees grew, dendrochronology can tell you a lot about this). But it would happen anyway, just later.

It's a good thing that people are becoming more aware of the problem, but i don't think it's going to help much, it's too late.

Shit is fucked up.

Cock Joke
03-28-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm not doing it.

randman21
03-28-2009, 05:41 PM
My Earth Hour is just supposed to be starting (EDIT no it isn't, it's tomorrow), but I don't feel like it. Whoever came up with this idea didn't do a very good job with marketing, as I'd never heard of it until earlier today. If it made sense to me, I'd do it.

Camilamazed
03-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Mine just finished. Let there me light now.

:)

arak0r
03-28-2009, 06:47 PM
the human race thinks too highly of itself if it really thinks everything depends on it

Outerspaceman21
03-28-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm obviously not participating

T-6005
03-28-2009, 09:38 PM
I am not turning any lights off on my birthday.

KHWHD
03-28-2009, 09:45 PM
We weren't home - but left the radio on when we left... oops.

Blitzkrieg Bop
03-29-2009, 06:23 AM
My Earth Hour is just supposed to be starting (EDIT no it isn't, it's tomorrow)

I am confussed here ... the hour thing was yesterday. I know that in some places it was advertised as the 29th, but it was the 28th, so I guess you missed it :)

I don't think that by participating in this made a big difference to the world at large considering the problem already exists, but I don't see why we should continue adding to the problem on a daily basis. Granted, it is not easy for us to give up on the luxuries that we have become use too, but by making a small contribution, you at least do your bit. In February, our government introduced an extra tax on non-energy efficient light bulbs, which I think is great, for at least this makes the energy efficient ones much cheaper to purchase.

Rutegard
03-29-2009, 11:21 AM
I participated ... my hour just ended :)

i did too
i was watching a game
but
that doesnt count right? :P

Llamas
03-29-2009, 12:31 PM
This is stupid. Why is everyone being like "aww I missed the hour". What's the difference between doing it during that hour, and doing it any hour? Plus I bet a lot of people just left the house during the hour and claimed they participated, even though they were somewhere that uses electricity, and driving contributes to global warming, too.

wheelchairman
03-29-2009, 01:47 PM
I did it at 2 am, saturday night. Fortunately that was also the hour the clocks jumped forward an hour.

On a side note, why don't all countries do daylight saving on the same day?

Rutegard
03-30-2009, 09:29 AM
This is stupid. Why is everyone being like "aww I missed the hour". What's the difference between doing it during that hour, and doing it any hour? Plus I bet a lot of people just left the house during the hour and claimed they participated, even though they were somewhere that uses electricity, and driving contributes to global warming, too.

'cause it's cool that's why!

nothing to do with the real environmental causes. i bet that most of them don't even recycle, BUT HEY, it's so fucking cool to do that, means like...you care...!

stupid ppl with their stupid bull....