PDA

View Full Version : Surgery

IamSam
04-01-2009, 08:04 AM
So, a couple days ago I tore my ACL playing a pickup game of basketball. What I want to know is if anyone else has gone through a surgery and what it was like. I've never had anything like this happen and am very curious about it.

Rutegard
04-01-2009, 08:11 AM
well good luck with that.

last time i went through that i was 4 years old. so i don't remember everything. but hope everything works out the best for you.

Rag Doll
04-01-2009, 08:25 AM
I've had surgery five times, though for nothing remotely similar to a torn ACL.

It's....weird. Basically, once you get into the operating room, they ask you to start counting backwards from 100. You get to about 97 before you're out. And then the next thing you know you're in the recovery room. And you remember nothing and you're like wtf. Sometimes your throat hurts after that fact, I guess from a tube in your throat or the oxygen or something. And I have a habit of waking up BADLY from anesthesia...like, I usually wake up yelling about something for some reason. And I realize about 15 seconds in that I make no sense and have no reason to be yelling, but I find a reason to continue so I don't seem totally crazy. It always seems like a good idea at the time ;p.

I dont really know what else you might wanna know. =\ I could try to answer questions, if you want!

_Lost_
04-01-2009, 08:33 AM
I tore something in my knee last fall. I don't know what. The doctor that saw me was a moron. "Oh its just a pulled muscle, you'll be perfectly fine in a week" 5 months later and I still can't squat with any extra weight. Its only been in the last month that I could squat at all. Perhaps I should get it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing.

Camilamazed
04-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Thnak God I've never had to go through any type of surgery or broken any bones of my body. I've never even been admitted to a hospital.

I guess I am very lucky.

=)

nameless
04-01-2009, 03:14 PM
i had surgery when i broke my nose many years ago, i just remember being given an injection to knock you out so to speak. when i came around there was blood everywhere which was quite disgusting! i wouldnt worry too much about it, should be over before you know!

IamSam
04-04-2009, 08:08 AM
I've had surgery five times, though for nothing remotely similar to a torn ACL.

It's....weird. Basically, once you get into the operating room, they ask you to start counting backwards from 100. You get to about 97 before you're out. And then the next thing you know you're in the recovery room. And you remember nothing and you're like wtf. Sometimes your throat hurts after that fact, I guess from a tube in your throat or the oxygen or something. And I have a habit of waking up BADLY from anesthesia...like, I usually wake up yelling about something for some reason. And I realize about 15 seconds in that I make no sense and have no reason to be yelling, but I find a reason to continue so I don't seem totally crazy. It always seems like a good idea at the time ;p.

I dont really know what else you might wanna know. =\ I could try to answer questions, if you want!

Wow...only to 97? That's awesome! What is recovery like after surgery?

KHWHD
04-04-2009, 08:23 AM
I had my tubes tied in Feb. of '07. It was pretty painful (after) considering there were only 2 small incisions. I went into the O.R. and had to lay on the table. The anesthesiologist put the needle in, and injected something to calm me down before they put me out. I assume my heart was racing.

Then they told me to count back from 100 (like RD said) and I was out. I remember waking up in the recovery room in pain. The doctor came over to me and asked if I was in pain. I told him yes. He gave me morphine (through my I.V.) I started feeling better, but my blood pressure kept dropping. He told me that if it started waring off, to tell him and he'd give me more. I was sent home with morphine tablets to help with the pain.

It was painstakingly bad (the recovery.) I had had the surgery 2 months after my youngest was born. My sis watched both of my girls for 2 nights after I had the surgery. Bending and lifting was a bitch for a good 4-6 weeks after.

Rag Doll
04-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Wow...only to 97? That's awesome! What is recovery like after surgery?

Recovery, like from the anesthesia? They basically put you in a big room with other people that had surgery. It's sort of like waking up from being asleep. Most people wake up kind of out of it and confused and slow. Like I said, I rarely do that ;p. You kind of hang there for a bit and then they transfer you to your room. It's really very similar to just waking up from being asleep, except the last thing you remember is the counting. And you may have a sore throat. And I always end up with bruises, probably from them moving you around to do what they have to do. Oh, you may not wanna eat a lot that day after you have surgery. The anesthesia can make you kind of nauseous, though you won't really notice it unless you decide to eat a lot of stuff.

I can't really answer beyond that. 4 out of 5 operations I had were similar to Shank's (ie: on the female reproductive system). The other was tonsils and sinuses and stuff. It's really different based on where it is. The last time I had surgery, I was in a lot of pain afterwards and could barely walk or stand. I was ok in a week or so. But I was knocked out for an extremely long time and had a *lot* done.

KHWHD
04-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Recovery, like from the anesthesia? They basically put you in a big room with other people that had surgery. It's sort of like waking up from being asleep. Most people wake up kind of out of it and confused and slow. Like I said, I rarely do that ;p. You kind of hang there for a bit and then they transfer you to your room. It's really very similar to just waking up from being asleep, except the last thing you remember is the counting. And you may have a sore throat. And I always end up with bruises, probably from them moving you around to do what they have to do. Oh, you may not wanna eat a lot that day after you have surgery. The anesthesia can make you kind of nauseous, though you won't really notice it unless you decide to eat a lot of stuff.

I can't really answer beyond that. 4 out of 5 operations I had were similar to Shank's (ie: on the female reproductive system). The other was tonsils and sinuses and stuff. It's really different based on where it is. The last time I had surgery, I was in a lot of pain afterwards and could barely walk or stand. I was ok in a week or so. But I was knocked out for an extremely long time and had a *lot* done.

OMG, I remember the pain I felt in my shoulders and chest too the day after the surgery. If felt like someone had hit me with a sledge hammer.

_Lost_
04-04-2009, 10:54 AM
i've had surgery, but i was a awake the whole time. same with my stepmom actually. abdominal surgery. spinal epidural cause its safer to keep you conscious.

Little_Miss_1565
04-04-2009, 11:58 AM
I had a deviated septum and needed surgery last summer to fix it. The only other time I'd been put under was when I had my wisdom teeth out. I was so incredibly nauseous when I woke up from that...but, luckily, my anesthesiologist was wonderful and once she knew I reacted badly to anesthesia in the past, she was able to do something to make sure that didn't happen again. They might have asked me to count backwards from 10 or 100. I have no idea. Once she gave me something in the IV to calm me down (I'm a huge wuss, I was so scared), I was outttt.

I vaguely remember the nurse pulling the tube out of my throat, and that was really unpleasant. Now that I think about it, mouth and sinus surgery are extra unpleasant because you're thirsty after the tube comes out but you can't really drink. Or eat. Or anything. I imagine after knee surgery, it'd be a little easier to go about these things. Honestly, I think recovery is a zillion times worse than surgery. You just have to be really careful to take it easy, take the pain meds when you're supposed to, and all that good stuff.

It'll be okay!! When are you going in for surgery?

IamSam
04-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Hey thanks Rag Doll!

I won't be having surgery until the beginning of May due to classes/finals. I really can't afford to miss a large section of this month!