PDA

View Full Version : Lucero

coke_a_holic
04-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Okay, not only has this band never had a thread on this forum, they've never even been MENTIONED on the BBS before.

Lucero is a country-punk band (leaning more towards country) from Memphis, Tennessee. I first got interested in them when their singer, Ben Nichols, did backing vocals on a song for The Hold Steady (he's the gruffly voiced singer on the song Magazines off of their newest cd, Stay Positive), but I've neglected checking them out before yesterday.

Holy shit, I am so hooked. Their songs are all exactly what I feel like I should be listening to when you drive over huge distances in the West, maybe drinking a little whiskey, but the only thing on the radio is the crackling sound of the wind, so you leave it off with your mind to create its own music for the scene.

Okay, imagine if Murder By Death sounded less like Nick Cave and more like The Lawrence Arms (Lucero are even in MBD's top friends on Myspace and vice versa) and you'll have an idea of what to expect.

www.myspace.com/lucero

EDIT: oh yeah, if you want some albums...

Lucero - Tennessee

http://www.mediafire.com/?rdkxmjwvxfe

Lucero - Nobody's Darlings

http://www.mediafire.com/?echam2zqnm5

nieh
04-02-2009, 07:33 AM
I listened to a few songs on their myspace and they didn't really click for me. They sound basically like any southern rock band you might hear on the classic rock station with a bit of Bruce Springstein in the mix.

coke_a_holic
04-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Really? They remind me a lot of Jets To Brazil... I think they're pretty excellent.

I actually might be seeing them with Titus Andronicus next week.

nieh
04-02-2009, 06:06 PM
This was going entirely off the first two songs on their myspace, so maybe it doesn't apply as much to their other stuff.
And I really wish I paid more attention to song titles/band names when I was growing up. This is far from the first time I've heard something familiar and gone "It sounds like...something!" and have no way of telling the person who/what it actually sounds like.

Apathy
04-02-2009, 09:42 PM
I listened to a few songs on their myspace and they didn't really click for me. They sound basically like any southern rock band you might hear on the classic rock station with a bit of Bruce Springstein in the mix.

seconded. I don't hear the Jets to Brazil at all.

That being said- they weren't awful. Just not my cup of tea. A little too southern

jacknife737
04-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Started listening to Nobody's Darling. So far, i really like what i hear. They really remind me of a less-punk, more country sounding version of Nothington, but that's only my impression based of a couple songs. Thank's a bunch for uploading the albums, i've been meaning to check these guys out for a while.

Edit: Omg, Sixteen is so good

I also get a bit of a Hold Steady vibe. I really like what i hear, so thank's again!

Llamas
04-02-2009, 10:25 PM
After listening to "Who Else Would You Have Me Be?" I like it. It doesn't sound really too southern/countryish, but that might just be this song. Either way, I really like the instrumentation and atmosphere. The only thing I'm not terribly huge on is the dude's voice. It's alright, but it sounds like he's trying too hard to sound grungy or something.

I just got to "The War" and this is more southern. His voice bugs me more in this song, though. I might post again after listening to more songs.

coke_a_holic
04-04-2009, 08:28 PM
After listening to the myspace songs... I feel like they're a little misrepresenting of the band. They're really quite good, their lyrics are clever and heartfelt, and while the music is twangy and sangy, it's definitely much more highbrow than most bands I've heard in the genre.