PDA

View Full Version : If you were a millionaire

Duskygrin
04-04-2009, 06:29 AM
. .

WebDudette
04-04-2009, 06:32 AM
If I had a million dollars, I'd cop some more pink polos and pop those collars.

nieh
04-04-2009, 06:55 AM
If I had a million dollars, well I'd buy you a green dress, but not a real green dress, that's cruel.

KHWHD
04-04-2009, 07:29 AM
First and foremost, I'd have my Dad retire. He'll be 58 this year and he was so ready to 5 years ago - but can't/couldn't afford to.

Put college/university tuition away for my daughters.

Buy a house in California, a house in Europe (probably London,) another here, and the Mustang I've always wanted.

Buy a house for my parents, and my sister.

Invest the rest (I guess it all depends on how much money I had to begin with.)

Rooster
04-04-2009, 09:10 AM
If i became a millionaire all of a sudden i'd be completely pissed off!

Because now i'm a multi-billionaire...

wheelchairman
04-04-2009, 09:16 AM
I'd invest it in Insulin and hope they don't find a cure for diabetes.

wheelchairman
04-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Now what if you were chamillionaire?

Outerspaceman21
04-04-2009, 11:47 AM

Can't. I'm too white and nerdy...

Llamas
04-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't know that I'd like being a millionaire. I'd be fine with having more money than I do now, for sure. But not having to work or anything would suck and get old really fast. I guess if I was a millionaire, I'd spend it on just being in school all the time cause I love taking classes, lol. And then I'd give a ton to charity or open up some sort of charitable cause of my own.

wheelchairman
04-04-2009, 03:15 PM
I don't know that I'd like being a millionaire. I'd be fine with having more money than I do now, for sure. But not having to work or anything would suck and get old really fast. I guess if I was a millionaire, I'd spend it on just being in school all the time cause I love taking classes, lol. And then I'd give a ton to charity or open up some sort of charitable cause of my own.
It's like I don't even know you anymore...

The Talking Pie
04-04-2009, 03:21 PM
I'd put half a million into a bank account for all of my bills to come out of (I wouldn't bother moving... I like my house) and not have to worry about any of that.

I'd donate as much as was needed to my dojo and have them set up an Uchi Deshi programme so I could train every day.

And finally I'd put the rest into my company. I might even use the money to fund tremendous financial losses, just so we could undercut all of our rivals and put them out of business.

0r4ng3
04-04-2009, 03:26 PM
http://orbita.starmedia.com/~ash_bh/Charmeleon.gif

I'd try to evolve as quickly as possible. Wings are key.

T-6005
04-04-2009, 03:28 PM
We wouldn't have to eat Kraft Dinner.

But we would eat Kraft Dinner.
Of course we would, we'd just eat more.

And buy really expensive ketchups with it. That's right, all the fanciest Dijon ketchups! Mmm. Mmm-hmm.

- Though I think Kraft Dinner is fucking gross.

Llamas
04-04-2009, 03:29 PM
I'd be rich.

Rooster
04-04-2009, 03:37 PM
I'd have a lot of hoes. And cars. And the money. And cash. And a minigolf field. And a pink Christina Aguilera monster. And a margaritaville.

And the money.

Llamas
04-04-2009, 03:38 PM
I'd get a boat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

0r4ng3
04-04-2009, 03:42 PM
I've already got my nautical-themed pachmina afghan!

coke_a_holic
04-04-2009, 03:51 PM
If I were a millionaire, I'd do two chicks at the same time.

OlderThanYou
04-04-2009, 04:08 PM
I don't know that I'd like being a millionaire. I'd be fine with having more money than I do now, for sure. But not having to work or anything would suck and get old really fast.

I used to say the same thing. But the older I get, the more I think I would absolutely LOVE doing nothing.

T-6005: We wouldn't have to eat Kraft Dinner.

But we would eat Kraft Dinner.
Of course we would, we'd just eat more.

Me and my friends say, the difference between Ramen Noodles being good and Ramen Noodles being gross is whether or not you are eating them by choice or by necessity. I suppose the same can be applied for Kraft Dinners.

What would I do with a mill?

I'd catch up on my mortgage... eh why just catch up, I'd pay it off. Pay off the stupid credit cards. Fix my car. And get all the tattoos I have planned out.

Then I'd just kick back and do absolutely NOTHING. And it would be everything I ever hoped it could be. :cool:

Outerspaceman21
04-04-2009, 04:14 PM
I'd probaby get a house, thats it. Thats the only major expense I care about.

Or college. That would be the wiser choice, I think. Teach a man to fish, he can feed himself for a lifetime.

If this current economic crisis continues and I remain jobless, I would conserve it, spending it wisely until I get a good, steady job.

Rooster
04-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Now honestly. I pretty much don't even tend to become a millionaire (i wouldn't have anything against it though). I'm happy as long as i can do what makes me happy. If all of a sudden i became a millionaire, i'd probably buy these things: new guitar(s), amplifier(s), and other stuff i need for my band, and my dream car ('67 Shelby G.T. 500 - a real one, not Eleanor clone, although i wouldn't defend myself from Eleanor replica...). And my own house - nothing special, just a house i would have on my own (where me and my gf could move in together). I wouldn't spend like there's no tomorrow - not because i would be greedy, but because rich-man lifestyle is not for me.

Probably i'd donate some money to charities also.

T-6005
04-04-2009, 04:36 PM
I would give $100,000 to each of the MODs on this board,no strings attached
and I would give $50,000 to all members of all BBS
which I post to, who can go a whole year, without
making an unprovoked snide remark.

I'm not sure you realize how quickly packets of a hundred thousand and fifty thousand add up to a million.

I'm not even sure how many mods there are right now, but let's say 4. That's 400,000 of your million, or 40%, gone. So the maximum amount of "all members of all BBS which I post to" you can actually pay packets of 50,000 to is twelve. Then you have nothing left.

Sigh. I suppose I won't be getting 50,000 now.

WebDudette
04-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Because charities can spread the money out and use it a lot more efficiently.

That is not to say they should all be trusted.

ninthz
04-04-2009, 07:06 PM
If I were a millionaire, I'd do two chicks at the same time.
Fuckin' A.

0r4ng3
04-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Fuckin' A.
...and B!

Offspring-Junkie
04-05-2009, 03:07 AM
If I were a millionaire, I wouldn't trust anyone anymore, becaues I'd think they just want my money. Eventually, I'd become unhappy. You know what? MONEY TALKS!!!

Homer
04-05-2009, 03:37 AM
If I were a millionaire, I would cause minor car accidents wherever I go.

Nina
04-05-2009, 06:58 AM
I'd get a boat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

^ First thing I thought.

MindlessSelfIndulgent
04-05-2009, 07:02 AM
I would buy a little house in the country, with a biiiig kitchen, and I'd bake all day.

But really I don't want to be a millionaire. Not right now, at least. I'm fine where I am and with what I've got :)

Llamas
04-05-2009, 02:15 PM
I used to say the same thing. But the older I get, the more I think I would absolutely LOVE doing nothing.
Haha. Well, the reason I know I'd hate it is because I've had the time when I didn't have to do anything. I had no job for about 8 months straight, and by the end I was soooooooooo sick of it. I need to have motivation and to be accomplishing something in life, or else I fall into a bad funk.

^ First thing I thought.
I'm glad someone else is awesome. :)

tazmaniaqu
04-05-2009, 08:15 PM
if i was a millionaire, i will buy an island and make my own country with my family and friends....:D

Outerspaceman21
04-05-2009, 11:08 PM
if i was a millionaire, i will buy an island and make my own country with my family and friends....:D

Dude, a small private island would cost at least a couple million.

Sofinch
04-06-2009, 04:52 AM
Oh goddamn that's exactly the same title as my oral exam for English

Flux
04-06-2009, 03:56 PM
If I were a millionaire I would split my money between my main family and go travelling for about a year. I wouldn’t buy anything so extravagant that I wouldn’t be able to keep it if the money went.

Camilamazed
04-07-2009, 07:29 AM
If I were a millionaire I would spend al my money travelling around the world and partying. I would save some for my retirement but I would definitely be happy. After all, why make more money and such if you're gonna die in the end? I would definitely spend it here and make the most of my life.

dexter12296566
09-26-2009, 09:13 PM
If I were a millionaire I would help this cause:
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tylerracutt
brought to my attention by Leo3375

Budzy
09-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Put it in the bank and live off the interest.

Offspring-Junkie
09-27-2009, 01:46 AM
I'd buy myself a harley davidson.

Paint_It_Black
09-27-2009, 07:39 AM
I don't see how you can be a millionaire and NOT be happy, provided you're in good health.

Totally. Nothing worse than a whiny rich bastard.

And I forgot to mention I'd obviously try my hand at all manner of petty offences

While I hate the idea that you would behave in an utterly reckless manner, heedlessly endangering the lives of others, I do have to admit I love your honesty.

I don't know that I'd like being a millionaire.

If someone was going to say that I should have known it would be you.

Llamas
09-27-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm sorry?

Alison
09-27-2009, 12:04 PM
i wouldnt know what to do with a million.
Buy a house with a bit of land, nothing too fancy.
Give some to a charity.
I don't like to buy loads of useless shit. I have a habit of saving large amounts of money, whereas before I had much I'd just spend it.

Harleyquiiinn
09-27-2009, 12:08 PM
I'd keep it for one or 2 years, knowing that I would have enough money to get my own law firm when I am ready.

And I would send an email to Sheldon everyday saying "I'm richer than you."

darea
09-27-2009, 12:39 PM
I'd buy a nice big house, buy Randy his own home recording studio and some nice guitars and stuff. And I'd have one the huge rooms of the house as my own personal library, as I love books. And err I'd be happy to have 3 or 4 kids (as i could afford to look after them with that money). And err I guess I'd save up a lot of the money and use it to go travelling and to pay my family to come visit. Stuff like that.

And (for those who know what it is), I'd buy myself a collection of genuine Saint Seiya figures (those back from the 80s not the newer not as good ones). But I guess I don't need to be a millionnaire to get those, its just that as Im not drowning in money, a lot of things have priority over that.

Paint_It_Black
09-28-2009, 03:17 AM
I'm sorry?

I forgive you. This time.

Offspring-Junkie
09-28-2009, 09:38 AM
I forgive you. This time.

You seriously think money is the key to happiness? I don't know if I shall laugh or cry. I'd forgive you if you were a teenager, but AFAIK you're not. You should know better.

That reminds me of something. When I was a kid we once talked at elementary school about money. My part of the discussion was: "Well, finally it's just numbers on papers." My teacher replied pretty irritated "No, it's not."

wheelchairman
09-28-2009, 09:53 AM
No, he didn't say that. I'm not entirely sure how you even inferred that...

Little_Miss_1565
09-28-2009, 10:01 AM
You seriously think money is the key to happiness? I don't know if I shall laugh or cry. I'd forgive you if you were a teenager, but AFAIK you're not. You should know better.

That reminds me of something. When I was a kid we once talked at elementary school about money. My part of the discussion was: "Well, finally it's just numbers on papers." My teacher replied pretty irritated "No, it's not."

I have two things to say about this. This is one of them:

No, he didn't say that. I'm not entirely sure how you even inferred that...

Well said, WCM. The other requires me to suspend the previous statement and challenge this statement of yours. The only people who would say that money doesn't matter, is just numbers on papers, etc etc. are rich people. I have had experiences in my life of being quite comfortable and also of being broke as fuck. Money alone may not make you eternally happy, but it sure as hell makes a difference if you've spent any time as a have-not.

Offspring-Junkie
09-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Totally. Nothing worse than a whiny rich bastard.

Look at the quoted quote. I do see my opinion as statet bove in there. Maybe I put a wrong quote in there, but it was the right user.

Edit: Money Talks.

wheelchairman
09-28-2009, 01:51 PM
You are accusing PIB of saying something he didn't.

So if by
Maybe I put a wrong quote in there, but it was the right user.

You mean "Quoting PIB was completely random and I'm making a statement wholly disconnected from his", then yeah sure. But otherwise make more sense.

I mean I'm probably the laziest person on these boards, but at least I quote the right posts. Well usually.

Paint_It_Black
09-29-2009, 01:25 AM
I'm going to ignore the fact that he provided a completely irrelevant quote and answer the question anyway.

You seriously think money is the key to happiness? I don't know if I shall laugh or cry.

Money is the key to happiness in a capitalist society as much as feet are the key to running a four minute mile. Possessing the former does not guarantee you can achieve the latter, but you almost definitely won't be able to achieve the latter if you lack the former.

I'd forgive you if you were a teenager, but AFAIK you're not. You should know better.

I feel like you have that backwards. When I was a teenager I thought money was not essential for happiness. Probably because I paid no bills and people gave me things, allowing me to be idealistic. As a grown-up experiencing the struggles of monetary concerns and the resulting stress I have quickly discovered that money IS the primary factor in happiness, because when you spend all your time worrying about not having it or arguing with your significant other about it you cannot be happy.

I don't see how you can be a millionaire and NOT be happy, provided you're in good health.

I believe this is the quote you should have used and Maria is the person you should be directing your questions towards. But since you picked me I will continue.

By adding the little disclaimer about good health Maria really nailed this one. Money can buy you everything else. It can go a long way towards buying you good health too, but cannot guarantee it. Whatever else exists in the world that can make you happy, money can buy it. If you have money and still can't be happy there's no hope for you.

And money CAN buy love. So don't try that old lie.

The only people who would say that money doesn't matter, is just numbers on papers, etc etc. are rich people.

That has to be a truth as old as the invention of money and will remain true as long as money exists.

Apathy
09-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Fuckin' A.

Besides two chicks at the same time?

Llamas
09-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Money is the key to happiness in a capitalist society as much as feet are the key to running a four minute mile. Possessing the former does not guarantee you can achieve the latter, but you almost definitely won't be able to achieve the latter if you lack the former.
I don't especially care about this debate, but I find this to be a bad analogy. Feet are pretty much a have/have not thing; money has a very broad spectrum. Plus it is all too subjective with money versus a race being very objective. There's no way to prove happiness. I personally know people who are quite broke yet some of the happiest people I know. One can argue that it's a facade, but there's no way to prove that.

Whatever else exists in the world that can make you happy, money can buy it.
Now this I just simply don't agree with. I think William Francis is a great example.
"William Francis was born in 1655 amid the tapestries and battlements of Richmond House in the village of Denstone, East Yorkshire. His life was one of both achievement and disappointment - he followed in his father's footsteps by ruling as Lord over the local population and living a festeringly wealthy life on the spoils of their labour, while at the same time becoming more and more reclusive and isolated. By the time he was 40 years old he was master of four workhouses and owned over 20,000 acres of farmland, while commanding an army of 700 men and gaining the King's ear on matters of economics and wealth. Nevertheless, he lived a lonely life, bad relationships, had no close friends, and died alone - leaving all his accumulated riches to his favourite horse, Magenta."

Perhaps I am vastly missing your point... otherwise, I think it's silly to think that you can buy anything that will make you happy. You can't buy genuine friends who actually care about you. You can't buy a real family that functions and cares about you and each other. I can think of quite a few things that would make me very happy that money could never buy me. Doesn't mean I don't think money is important, or that it can make some things a lot better, though.

Wondering what you mean by this.

Llamas
09-29-2009, 03:34 PM

*strokes chin* Indeed.

Now, presently, go ask the local hobo who's been living under bridges for heaven knows how long and who literally breathes his own shit if he's happy. Maybe he'll answer you, if he's not too sloshed.

That said, yeah, "being rich" is subjective. I didn't mean that you should be in the Fortune 500, but I certainly didn't mean you would simply have to be middle-class either. That's the reason I phrased it in millions.

And, about your friends that are broke. We are all extremely happy to know they are happy. We would be even happier if you could be a little more precise about their circumstances, style of living, and so on and so forth.

It is certainly easier to be poor in India than it is to be poor in a rich country. When you're poor amid millions of your fellow-beings that are also down on their luck, have never known any other state than poverty, and who stick together, well... your own poverty is hardly noticeable.

But being poor amongst rich folks, now that's a heavier cross to bear, to my belief.

I see what's going on here. I think you are talking about the difference between having NO money (jobless, homeless) and having some to a lot of money. While I'm talking about having some money and having tons of money. I would agree that in a capitalist country, it'd be nearly impossible to be happy if you are jobless and homeless.

Paint_It_Black
09-30-2009, 03:08 AM
I personally know people who are quite broke yet some of the happiest people I know.

Do they have enough to pay all their bills with at least a little left over for discretionary spending? This is all I mean by "have money". The exact amount required will vary depending on the required expenditure. That's why I never set a number and said "this is what you need".

There's no way to prove happiness.

You just ask people to rate their happiness on a scale. That's how it's done. Results typically show that seniors are happier than younger people. Seniors typically have less debt than younger people and more cash available for discretionary spending. While this does not conclusively prove that money makes you happier, it certainly makes a good argument. Especially when you consider that health related concerns and the knowledge of imminent death should probably be kind of a downer for this demographic.

I think William Francis is a great example.

Did he leave any clear indication that he was unhappy? You are assuming that he was unhappy because you would have been unhappy with his lifestyle choice. That does not mean he was unhappy. He may have been a loner, completely satisfied in his life of isolation. And it sounds to me like he may have had a horsefuckingly good life.

I stated that money can buy whatever exists in the world that can bring you happiness. What exactly can bring happiness varies between people. And some, it seems to me, are just incapable of happiness no matter what. In that case nothing exists in the world that can make them happy. In that case it's not really a failure of money to buy it. You can't buy what doesn't exist.

You can't buy genuine friends who actually care about you. You can't buy a real family that functions and cares about you and each other.

I'm pretty sure you can. You may have to put in a little effort yourself, so don't misunderstand me. It's like buying a set of shelves. You may have to do some assembly, and work on it until it fits just right for you, but you can buy it. I clearly stated that money alone is not everything. It doesn't guarantee you results, it only guarantees you a good chance. You can still fuck it up or get really unlucky. But take any average person and give them shitloads of money and you have just dramatically increased their chances of happiness. I didn't explain this clearly before because I didn't think it would be necessary.

Wondering what you mean by this.

I mean that money can buy love. I'm not going to get into that because it opens up a debate about what love really is and blah blah blah. But studies have shown that women have a tendency to rate a guy as more attractive and more likable the higher they believe his income to be. They performed this test by showing the same picture and same biography to different women and just changing the number on the income line. The reasoning was that when women choose a mate they look for physical features that instinctively indicate the man has good genes (physical attractiveness) but money is a better indication of how well a potential child can be cared for and as such raises the level of attraction in the mind of the potential mother. Obviously to follow this reasoning you have to begin with and accept the assumption that the primary goal and function of our existence is to reproduce. I don't like this concept but I do agree with it. Admittedly it can make all women sound somewhat superficial, but that's not really fair. Choosing a mate that will be best able to provide for your offspring is anything but superficial. And this is just one of the many ways I believe money can buy love.

Offspring-Junkie
09-30-2009, 09:58 AM

When I was a teenager I thought money was not essential for happiness. Probably because I paid no bills and people gave me things, allowing me to be idealistic. As a grown-up experiencing the struggles of monetary concerns and the resulting stress I have quickly discovered that money IS the primary factor in happiness, because when you spend all your time worrying about not having it or arguing with your significant other about it you cannot be happy.

Money can buy you everything else. It can go a long way towards buying you good health too, but cannot guarantee it. Whatever else exists in the world that can make you happy, money can buy it. If you have money and still can't be happy there's no hope for you.

That has to be a truth as old as the invention of money and will remain true as long as money exists.

You sound like a dog who got beaten up too often.

Jesus
09-30-2009, 12:09 PM
The idea that money is a magical the key to happiness is quite a strange idea in my opinion, since people are creatures of comparison and habituation.

So if money matters with regard to happiness then it matters only in relative way, vis-à-vis wealth distribution in your direct surroundings (comparison) and your own history (habituation), and not in absolute way. If everyone had a million dollars there wouldn't be any effect, same if you have always been rich. So for money to have any impact on your happiness, a significant amount of people you come into contact have to be significantly poorer compared to yourself or you have had to been poor recently. So money itself isn't sufficient.

If you take this into account then it's for instance not a surprise that the overall level of happiness in poor countries is the same as in developed countries (but if money matters we would expect differently). Heck we're even way richer compared to past generations and that doesn't even have an impact, because if everyone is better off, average happiness remains the same.
Looking at rich people, they are used to their 'richness' and they usually only deal with other rich people, so no impact there either. If you look at your own life, if you buy something new, that usually makes you happy for a short amount of time (depending on your consumption patterns) until you get used to it and the impact is lost. All of this also works the opposite way, get disabled? You'll feel shitty for a while, but then you get used to it. Get dumped by your gf/bf? Same.
The human ability for adaptation is remarkable.

So instead of saying money can make one happy you could equally say other people's poverty makes you happy or heck your own rotten past could make you happy in the future. Which it might for a short period of time. But that's about it.

Fuck, I rambled for too long, but there's quite a lot of interesting work on this if somebody is interested. "Happiness: Lessons from a New Science" is quite a good intro book on the subject.

Llamas
09-30-2009, 12:21 PM
The idea that money is a magical the key to happiness is quite a strange idea in my opinion, since people are creatures of comparison and habituation.

So if money matters with regard to happiness then it matters only in relative way, vis-à-vis wealth distribution in your direct surroundings (comparison) and your own history (habituation), and not in absolute way. If everyone had a million dollars there wouldn't be any effect, same if you have always been rich. So for money to have any impact on your happiness, a significant amount of people you come into contact have to be significantly poorer compared to yourself or you have had to been poor recently. So money itself isn't sufficient.

If you take this into account then it's for instance not a surprise that the overall level of happiness in poor countries is the same as in developed countries (but if money matters we would expect differently). Heck we're even way richer compared to past generations and that doesn't even have an impact, because if everyone is better off, average happiness remains the same.
Looking at rich people, they are used to their 'richness' and they usually only deal with other rich people, so no impact there either. If you look at your own life, if you buy something new, that usually makes you happy for a short amount of time (depending on your consumption patterns) until you get used to it and the impact is lost. All of this also works the opposite way, get disabled? You'll feel shitty for a while, but then you get used to it. Get dumped by your gf/bf? Same.
The human ability for adaptation is remarkable.

So instead of saying money can make one happy you could equally say other people's poverty makes you happy or heck your own rotten past could make you happy in the future. Which it might for a short period of time. But that's about it.

Fuck, I rambled for too long, but there's quite a lot of interesting work on this if somebody is interested. "Happiness: Lessons from a New Science" is quite a good intro book on the subject.

Very long, but also very good and true. You brought up some aspects I hadn't thought of, and I find myself in full agreement with you.

Offspring-Junkie
09-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Heck we're even way richer compared to past generations and that doesn't even have an impact, because if everyone is better off, average happiness remains the same.

I agree with your post, except for this line.

Paint_It_Black
10-01-2009, 01:49 AM

I agreed with everything you said. You touched on the fact that happiness itself can be quite difficult to hold on to because once you have something that makes you happy you begin to get used to it. That seems to be a problem with humanity in general though.

If you have a LOT of money in comparison to other people in your country you will have access to any and all things that can possibly make you happy, right? Not just possessions but activities, travel, fine food etc. If you had a lot of money and still couldn't find ways to make yourself happy, or at least happier than before you had the money, wouldn't that suggest there is something quite wrong with you?

People that are born rich might just be kinda screwed. It would be difficult to appreciate privilege and wealth if you never experienced life without it.

You sound like a dog who got beaten up too often.

What, why? I haven't said anything to suggest I feel I've had a hard life, if that's what you are suggesting. I've had a remarkably average life. I've been beaten up just the right amount of times to make me appreciate not getting beaten up too often.

I agree with your post, except for this line.

By "better off" he means "has more money". If everyone has more money then nothing has really changed. Prices will just go up to compensate. That's why you can't just print more money and give it to everyone. That causes hyperinflation like in Germany in the 20's.

Just for the record, I still think it's possible to be poor and happy, as long as you have enough to live a little above poverty. I am only saying it's got to be ridiculously easier if you have lots of money.

wheelchairman
10-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Despite Richard's explanation on how you quantify happiness, it's still questionable on how you quantify happiness.

Denmark for instance on the "happiness geiger counters" usually scores in one polar extreme or another. Most often we're ranked as the happiest country in the world (of which Oprah is doing a special on, as we speak), but we've also been ranked as the most depressed country in the world.

My immediate thought is that one of these "surveys" took place during winter, and the others during summer, but that seems too simplistic and obvious.

And these happiness surveys don't necessarily just call up and ask people, I've heard that consumption has been used to measure happiness, and other variables. And of course there is the King of Bhutan or some other nation who created the "National Happiness Product" or whatever, in order to make his citizens happiest.

Anyways in my own rambling way I'm trying to say that if Denmark is the happiest country in the world, then it is not your comparative wealth that is important. For Danes probably have the least distance between the top and the bottom in the world (with the possible exception of Norway). It is likely to do with the fact that Denmark is a financially stable land, and that those who do not earn enough money to pay their bills, can get assistance from the government. And that in a nation with a universal welfare system, no one feels embarrassed by taking these benefits (as they are universal).

So I would go back and say that happiness is not dependent on money, but because there is so much woes connected to the lack of money, that it certainly makes life easier to be happy.

I believe I would be happy if I were a millionaire and never had to worry about paperwork and bureaucracy ever again.

Tizzalicious
10-01-2009, 07:05 AM
I'd be happy if you were a millionaire too, Per.

I think money is not the only key to happiness, because if the rest of your life sucks in everty aspect, money alone clearly won't solve it, but it definitely helps not to have to worry about money.

Offspring-Junkie
10-02-2009, 10:53 AM
What, why? I haven't said anything to suggest I feel I've had a hard life, if that's what you are suggesting. I've had a remarkably average life. I've been beaten up just the right amount of times to make me appreciate not getting beaten up too often.

If you write stuff like you can buy love, that's hard. Being more attractive/interesting because of money, maybe, but buying love? I don't want to start a discussion about love, but you simply can't buy it. That line was the main reason for my "beaten up too often".

By "better off" he means "has more money". If everyone has more money then nothing has really changed. Prices will just go up to compensate. That's why you can't just print more money and give it to everyone. That causes hyperinflation like in Germany in the 20's.

Wrong. More money to buy something to eat and more money to buy a car are two different worlds. It changes a lot. If everyone recieves more money to buy food everyone will be satisfied with the result of not beeing hungry. If everyone recieves enough money to buy a car, they will be possibly angry that they can only afford the same type of car.

Just for the record, I still think it's possible to be poor and happy, as long as you have enough to live a little above poverty. I am only saying it's got to be ridiculously easier if you have lots of money.
You wrote that rich people shall stop whining because they have lots of money ergo that they have no problems to complain about. To me lots of money is more of a burden than fun. You don't have more money to spend, but a new status quo to deal with. So if they have trouble with money (rich people have money issues too), they mess up big time.

wheelchairman
10-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Offspring junkie, don't ever tell anyone they are acting like a teenager. That's just too damn hypocritical.

Also if everyone receives more money, than everything stays the same, as everyone pointed out, inflation exists.

Lots of money is a burden if you are a retard. Lots of money should solve more problems than it causes. Of course some people are going to spend it retardedly either way, people rich from inheritance often do, and celebrities despite being role models are also usually about as dumb as they come. (The following things are actors: adults, children, animals. The requirements are not high with regards to intelligence in that profession.)

T-6005
10-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Wrong. More money to buy something to eat and more money to buy a car are two different worlds. It changes a lot. If everyone recieves more money to buy food everyone will be satisfied with the result of not beeing hungry. If everyone recieves enough money to buy a car, they will be possibly angry that they can only afford the same type of car.

No, it's right. If everyone receives a million dollars, then obviously everyone has a million more dollars. Taking that in mind and realizing how much more money there is to be had, prices will go up to meet the increased amount of money (and the value of a single dollar will go down). There is absolutely no impetus for keeping your prices the same if you know that others have more money to spend - money that you specifically know they don't need and can afford to part with.

If you start from the other side, with everyone receiving a million dollars and then starting to spend it on whatever they wanted - well, all of a sudden everyone can afford these things and more people want it. The demand for a product goes up while its supply remains fixed in the short term, and guess where prices go?

It's as true for food as it is for cars.

Offspring-Junkie
10-02-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm talking about happiness, not the economical results if you give everyone one million dollar. I know what inflation is...
You can call me hypocrite anytime you want, but money is not as easy to deal with as anyone thinks at least in my not so humble opinion.

Llamas
10-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Wow, this argument has gotten realllllllly dumb :(

wheelchairman
10-02-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm talking about happiness, not the economical results if you give everyone one million dollar. I know what inflation is...
You can call me hypocrite anytime you want, but money is not as easy to deal with as anyone thinks at least in my not so humble opinion.

This is retarded and trying my patience. Money isn't as easy to deal with as anyone thinks? I and you have been dealing with money all our lives. You're acting like its some strange and abstract concept that is foreign to us.

Anyways no matter what your opinion, money is far easier to deal with than lack of money. That is a fact that is so blindingly obvious that I feel stupid for having to point it out.

Harleyquiiinn
10-02-2009, 01:01 PM

Lifestyyyyyyles of the rich and the famoooous, they're always complaaainiiiiing, always complaaaaaining.

http://www.assas.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/pere20dodudl2.gif

Little_Miss_1565
10-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Property is theft!

Offspring-Junkie
10-03-2009, 01:37 AM
This is retarded and trying my patience. Money isn't as easy to deal with as anyone thinks? I and you have been dealing with money all our lives. You're acting like its some strange and abstract concept that is foreign to us.

Anyways no matter what your opinion, money is far easier to deal with than lack of money. That is a fact that is so blindingly obvious that I feel stupid for having to point it out.

I'm just trolling around.

Lizilla
10-03-2009, 06:37 AM
If I became a millionaire...I guess I have to think about two ways:

1 - winning the lottery or something
2 - earning it

Scenario 1 - I'd freak out and probably have a heart attack initially. Then I'd pay for heart surgery and invest for sure, buy some property and what not. I dont think I'd give up my job, just to be on the safe side, but I'd certainly be living a little bit more - taking more time off to travel, buying more things - bass guitars and amps so on, so forth. If Offspring were touring I'd probably go and follow them around...but only if I had enough to save and what not.

Scenario 2 - if I was earning it, I could choose to be more frivulous and therefore would have paid half of my paycheck into a savings account and be using the rest to buy what I needed. I dont think I'd go overboard that way.

Either way, I'd definately make sure I had an accountant or someone to tell me how to best spend. I know it sounds really boring and what not...but I wouldnt want to lose that sort of priviledge. If I had earnt it, most certainly would want to be keeping it!

I might also spend some money on a few grammar and spelling courses also ;)