PDA

View Full Version : Holy Ticket Prices!

Mark Rooster
04-08-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm definitely going to see the Offspring on this tour. I saw them twice in 1999 but not at all since then, and I decided a couple years ago that I certainly want to see them at least once more. I just can't believe the ticket cost is $39 for the NJ show! Tickets were $18.50 when I saw them on the Americana tour, and I swear they were more popular then.

Now, I don't go to many bigger shows, so maybe I just don't know what's what, but does anyone else find the tickets somewhat expensive?

nameless
04-08-2009, 03:49 PM
ive noticed ticket prices slowly increasing over the years but then again, so has the price of loads of products and services. i think promoters know people will pay a lot to see their favourite bands!

Outerspaceman21
04-08-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm definitely going to see the Offspring on this tour. I saw them twice in 1999 but not at all since then, and I decided a couple years ago that I certainly want to see them at least once more. I just can't believe the ticket cost is $39 for the NJ show! Tickets were $18.50 when I saw them on the Americana tour, and I swear they were more popular then.

Now, I don't go to many bigger shows, so maybe I just don't know what's what, but does anyone else find the tickets somewhat expensive?

Dude, Thats nothing. My ticket for the Irvine show cost me $68.

KHWHD
04-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Dude, Thats nothing. My ticket for the Irvine show cost me $68.

Same with mine for Toronto.

SweetTatyana
04-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Really? I thought they were going to be more expensive. But I only see bigger bands generally nowadays, like seeing the police in toronto cost me like $135!

jacknife737
04-08-2009, 06:04 PM
The ticketmaster convenience fees are a fucking outrage.

Still, the band charges a then i usually like to spend for a concert. I usually only spend around $18-25 for a ticket; in this case i don't really care, since they're my favorite band

Camilamazed
04-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Seriously. The tickets are not expensive. Most of the shows I've seen lately are from 30 to 40. Except for Metallica and AC/DC. Green day tickets are going to be pricey.

WebDudette
04-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I haven't been to a show that cost more than $12 dollars in years. It'd have to be a band I really like for me to go to a stadium.

Mark Rooster
04-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Most of the shows I go to are hardcore or punk shows that are, like you said, closer to $12 or $15. I just was surprised to see Offspring tickets costing more now than they did when they were still tearin up the charts. Not a big deal, I guess. One thing I don't think I could do, though, is see one of my favorite bands while sitting down in some seat hundreds of feet away from the stage. I'm so glad to have a chance to see the Offspring at a "general admission / standing room" venue.

SweetTatyana
04-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah the ticketmaster conveinence charge + mailing and facility fee was almost $20, thats so annoying!

TheOldMark
04-08-2009, 06:41 PM
I must add my protest. These ticket prices are ridiculous, particularly in a shitty economy, and the offspring have waning popularity. Warped Tour charges $50 for a ticket, and thats 50 bands, at least 4 headliners. I blame Live Nation, for $12.50 service charges. This is new, the Offspring have always gone through ticketmaster in the US, they normally charge $7.50 each. I never paid more than $35 for an Offspring show in the past.
For that amount of money, they would have to put on a sick show. Like maybe the extra money is going towards some elaborate stage show with special effects. I don't want that, I'm pretty sure none of you do either. I want to see them on a shitty stage in a dive bar. Effects are for arena tours.

Little_Miss_1565
04-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Trent Reznor wrote a great piece about ticket prices on nin.com -- I highly recommend you guys check it out.

Mark, Live Nation and Ticketmaster ticket particular venues, not tours. Last time Offspring toured on their own, Ticketbastard was the only game going.

Re: prices, bands make their money on the road. The way things seem to be now, people will pay to be at the show but would rather P2P the record. I saw them last on the Americana tour, at the Metro in Chicago. Small fucking venue for them, especially in the heat of "Pretty Fly." Later when I lived in Chicago, I'd see the Rev Horton Heat et al there. So yeah, tickets were much cheaper.

But I paid $50 with fees to see Nick Cave in October, at the Theater at MSG. And no, Mark, no effects or elaborate stage show.

Outerspaceman21
04-08-2009, 09:39 PM
I think a parking fee was included in my ticket price along with the service charge. Plus, I'm in the orchastra section, which is pretty damn close. Also, Alkaline Trio is playing, and they are a pretty big name act along with the Offspring.

So I would say the money I spent is worth it being that The Offspring has given me the anthems to my life for over 11 years.

Mark, I can see what you are talking about though.

I think prices are getting outragously huge because of decreasing albums sales, due to peer to peer file sharing, and the label are trying to make up for it by slowly increasing ticket prices. Thats just a theory, though.

frankturner
04-09-2009, 01:57 AM
More than a theory. Album sales have decreased by a huge amount since 2000 or whatever. The old model of how a band makes money is basically broken because everyone steals music these days. While I agree that the whole business of Ticketmaster "service" charges and so on is pretty fucking ridiculous, the bottom line is that gig prices go up when people stop paying for albums. I don't actually think that's unjust, personally.

Oxygene
04-09-2009, 04:13 AM
I must add my protest. These ticket prices are ridiculous, particularly in a shitty economy, and the offspring have waning popularity. Warped Tour charges $50 for a ticket, and thats 50 bands, at least 4 headliners. I blame Live Nation, for $12.50 service charges. This is new, the Offspring have always gone through ticketmaster in the US, they normally charge $7.50 each. I never paid more than $35 for an Offspring show in the past.
For that amount of money, they would have to put on a sick show. Like maybe the extra money is going towards some elaborate stage show with special effects. I don't want that, I'm pretty sure none of you do either. I want to see them on a shitty stage in a dive bar. Effects are for arena tours.

I dunno dude, everything is more expensive than it was, and the surcharges for buying tickets in the US is a ridiculous thing, just like airline tickets never including taxes and shit. I hate it, but it's the nature of the beast.
Offspring are a big band, and they can't change the industry by themselves. It's obvious that they aren't being greedy or whatever, so we pretty much have to swallow and live with it!

Trent Reznor wrote a great piece about ticket prices on nin.com -- I highly recommend you guys check it out.

Yeah a link (http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?9,548515) woulda been usefull :P

RonWelty
04-09-2009, 04:29 AM
More than a theory. Album sales have decreased by a huge amount since 2000 or whatever. The old model of how a band makes money is basically broken because everyone steals music these days. While I agree that the whole business of Ticketmaster "service" charges and so on is pretty fucking ridiculous, the bottom line is that gig prices go up when people stop paying for albums. I don't actually think that's unjust, personally.

I quote you.

Of course Dexter had to paid hair stylist that put his hair like in the TOUR VIDEO. I don't Believe Mrs. Holland would do that to his husband.

Little_Miss_1565
04-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Yeah a link (http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?9,548515) woulda been usefull :P

I was on my crackberry, too hard to do links! :P

Oxygene
04-09-2009, 12:04 PM
I was on my crackberry, too hard to do links! :P

crack killz :P

TheOldMark
04-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Mark, Live Nation and Ticketmaster ticket particular venues, not tours. Last time Offspring toured on their own, Ticketbastard was the only game going.
And no, Mark, no effects or elaborate stage show.

Calling your bluff, for pretending to have a show preview. They have ALWAYS had some sort of stage show, it has increased progressively since 98. Ill bet the cost of a ticket it will be at the same level or more elaborate than their co1 tour. They're not going back to their Smash shows, unfortunately. Guarenteed.

And I have never dealt with anyone but ticketmaster for the offspring. Admittedly, I don't remember who sold me the CBGBs ticket, and I scalped their Warped Tour show. Never dealt with ticketbastard for anyone, never dealt with live nation for the offspring. Seen them everytime they've hit the east coast in the last 11 years. Happy to supply proof.

Oxygene
04-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Calling your bluff, for pretending to have a show preview. They have ALWAYS had some sort of stage show, it has increased progressively since 98. Ill bet the cost of a ticket it will be at the same level or more elaborate than their co1 tour. They're not going back to their Smash shows, unfortunately. Guarenteed.

And I have never dealt with anyone but ticketmaster for the offspring. Admittedly, I don't remember who sold me the CBGBs ticket, and I scalped their Warped Tour show. Never dealt with ticketbastard for anyone, never dealt with live nation for the offspring. Seen them everytime they've hit the east coast in the last 11 years. Happy to supply proof.

I honestly don't think they're gonna have a big set up... maybe some backdrop and few of those things but nothing major I don't think. Although who knows. Even so I don't think that affects ticket prices.

Ticketmaster looks like a shitty company.. I'm sorry you guys have to put up with that shit.

Little_Miss_1565
04-09-2009, 03:16 PM

Sorry to break your heart, but I was referring to Nick Cave's show -- same ticket pricing, his records don't sell as well in the US, and not a dollar of my cost of admission went towards special effects as you derided in the reply I was responding to.

I don't really care who you've dealt with for the Offspring, so I'm really confused by your offer of proof...a great deal of New York venues have gone Live Nation for ticketing, and it's definitely been something that's happened between the last Splinter date and now. The one I've had the most interaction with is Irving Plaza. It won't matter anyway once the Live Nation/Ticketmaster merger is approved, but again, it's particular venues and not tours that determines whether Ticketmaster or Live Nation sells you the ticket.

Oxygene
04-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Um... let's not have a penis measuring competition here...

Tix are expensive, but it's not because of giant dildos on the stage or anything.. more likley than not

WebDudette
04-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Tom Waits tickets were $150.

Little_Miss_1565
04-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Every Waits tour could also be his last. Didn't he famously decree that he hates touring and won't really do it?

Oxy, I hope you weren't addressing me with that.

Alison
04-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Ticket prices just go up and up.

I remeber the year before last Rise Against played Dublin for 18euros, this year it cost 25euro. Still not a lot, but at the same time, it's a bit more.

Irish and English festivals are a complete rip off compared to other european ones. I mean, Oxegen, a 3 days festival costs nearly 300, while last year Rock Werchter cost 160 for 4 days.

I'm guessing i'll have to see The Offspring at a festival, so i'll have to pay more than i was hoping to pay...

nieh
04-09-2009, 05:43 PM
I blame Live Nation, for $12.50 service charges. This is new, the Offspring have always gone through ticketmaster in the US, they normally charge $7.50 each. I never paid more than $35 for an Offspring show in the past.

(a) I recall my past Offspring shows having roughly the same ticket price (give or take $5).
(b) Last time I bought tickets from ticketmaster, they tagged on more than a 50% service fee. A $17.50 ticket cost me $28.80

TheOldMark
04-09-2009, 07:23 PM
shit.. you got a ruler?

:rolleyes:

Little_Miss_1565
04-09-2009, 10:04 PM
I don't think it should too much to ask that if you're going to put the band on blast, you should have the facts in evidence right. No?

Oxygene
04-10-2009, 02:00 AM
Oxy, I hope you weren't addressing me with that.

I was speaking in general... you know how seriously mark takes certain things. Let's not step on each others toes if it isn't necessary.

Mark is more likely than not wrong about inflated prices being due to some elaborate stage show, it's probably the industry trend being reflected and the monopoly dicketmaster seems to have. That's about it, let's wait to find out.

Jesus
04-10-2009, 03:16 AM
Comparing ticket prices from ten years ago is pretty silly, seeing as most stuff has gotten more expensive and interest in concerts has gone up &nd cd sales have gone down. Ten years ago I probably bought around 40 cds or so a year (at around 20 euros). Now I only by a couple and I'm probably not alone in that.

This is not to say that the offspring actually earn much more because of touring due to the (basically) monopoly of live nation.

But to be honest from a purely rational economic point of view, tickets are hugely underpriced. That post by Trent in his forums is pretty much spot on. But seeing as bands tend to like to have sold out or almost sold out venues, and not been seen as too much of a "sell out" when the core audience is people under 35. We're still quite lucky.

dff_punk
04-10-2009, 07:41 AM
On a completely unrelated note:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn154/dff_punk/holyticketprices.jpg
hahaha!

Little_Miss_1565
04-10-2009, 09:18 AM
On a completely unrelated note:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn154/dff_punk/holyticketprices.jpg
hahaha!

Happy Good Friday, everyone!

Oxygene
04-10-2009, 09:58 AM

HAHAH fuckin A this is funny :)

bighead384
04-10-2009, 10:36 AM
The ticket prices didn't bother me that much, because seeing The Offspring for the first time is priceless. Maybe I'd feel differently if that weren't the case, I dunno.

dff_punk
04-10-2009, 10:48 AM

According to the thread, that was priceless!

g00d0let0m
04-10-2009, 05:11 PM

Downloading music for free isn't stealing its sharing, and remember sharing is caring!

univonc
04-10-2009, 06:33 PM
U2 floor seats selling for 250 dollars.

I paid 175 dollars per seat for Genesis.

39 dollars, that's not much....

I'd watch a monkey f*ck a football for that much.....

:)