PDA

View Full Version : Who's Frank Turner

g00d0let0m
04-08-2009, 03:19 PM
I was mad that Sum 41 was going to take up time out of the offsprings at MA, but now this guy frank turner gonna take up more time. Who the heck is this guy, and who does he think he is?

dff_punk
04-08-2009, 03:27 PM
He thinks he is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Turner

cool 2 hate 681
04-08-2009, 03:28 PM
is that true? why would offspring have a folk singer as a opener

g00d0let0m
04-08-2009, 03:29 PM
an english folk singer that USED to be in a english punk band, why would he have anything to do with the offspring, an actual good band

g00d0let0m
04-08-2009, 03:30 PM
is that true? why would offspring have a folk singer as a opener

yeah isnt that lame?

jacknife737
04-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Dude, why not do this; check out his set with an open mind, and you may actually like his stuff. He's pretty talented, and i wish he was playing my date.

Bands don't only tour with bands from the same genre; variety can be nice.

g00d0let0m
04-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Dude, why not do this; check out his set with an open mind, and you may actually like his stuff. He's pretty talented, and i wish he was playing my date.

Bands don't only tour with bands from the same genre; variety can be nice.

He's not bad im saying, hes taking time out of the offspring, which is the band i want to see

jacknife737
04-08-2009, 03:38 PM
He's not bad im saying, hes taking time out of the offspring, which is the band i want to see

Not really, I mean the band is only going to play their usual time whether they have an opener or not. You're actually getting more music this way, although i suppose opening acts do make you wait a bit longer to see the headliner, but only for like 30min or so.

frankturner
04-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I was mad that Sum 41 was going to take up time out of the offsprings at MA, but now this guy frank turner gonna take up more time. Who the heck is this guy, and who does he think he is?

Hi there. Forgive me for butting into the conversation. I'm Frank. I'm English. I grew up with punk rock and played in punk bands for 10 years or so, and now I play alone with my acoustic, much in the vein of Chuck Ragan / Tom Gabel and the like. I'm an Offspring fan, I'm flattered that they asked me to play the shows, and obviously they're not exactly going to play less because I'm on the bill.

Have a listen to my stuff - www.myspace.com/frankturner. If it's not for you, hang out at the bar, turn up later, whatever. I'm looking forward to the shows.

g00d0let0m
04-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Hi there. Forgive me for butting into the conversation. I'm Frank. I'm English. I grew up with punk rock and played in punk bands for 10 years or so, and now I play alone with my acoustic, much in the vein of Chuck Ragan / Tom Gabel and the like. I'm an Offspring fan, I'm flattered that they asked me to play the shows, and obviously they're not exactly going to play less because I'm on the bill.

Have a listen to my stuff - www.myspace.com/frankturner. If it's not for you, hang out at the bar, turn up later, whatever. I'm looking forward to the shows.

Like I stated before I think your music is pretty good, i just don't want you to cut into the band i am traveling 4 hours to see's time.

Mike_911
04-08-2009, 04:10 PM

I am really looking forward to seeing you. I will be at a few of the shows that you are opening. I got into you because of the guys in Gaslight Anthem taking you out and checked you out from there. Awesome to see you playing with Offspring! I hope the shows go well and look forward to meeting you.

jacknife737
04-08-2009, 04:19 PM

Hey, just wanted to say that I love your stuff, and that it's too bad that you're not playing the Toronto date, because i'd love to see you play.

frankturner
04-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Actually I am playing Toronto..! See you there.

jacknife737
04-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Actually I am playing Toronto..! See you there.

Hahaha, that's awesome! Thank's man, you just made my day! Now i have a reason to get there early.

Rag Doll
04-08-2009, 04:32 PM
huh sweet. i had been wondering what was going on in NYC and NJ. looking forward to it, especially because I've already seen Sum 41 and wasn't super impressed.

good luck on the tour!

Little_Miss_1565
04-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Welcome, Frank Turner! Is Boston the only date you're doing or are you going to be on any of the others? I'd love to see you in New York.

EDIT: Whoops, Toronto too. But hey, it'd be great to see you in NYC.

Like I stated before I think your music is pretty good, i just don't want you to cut into the band i am traveling 4 hours to see's time.

I'm not sure how many shows you've gone to, but the openers don't "cut into the band you are travelling 4 hours to see." The Offspring are going to play the same length set regardless.

Shows like this are a great chance to get exposed to some awesome new music you might not have found otherwise. And in addition, Frank speaks the truth -- the band invited him, so have a little respect, man. Go in with an open mind!

Camilamazed
04-08-2009, 04:54 PM
In addition to what everybody else said most of the time people find their favorite bands as openers. I found bands like Art Brut, Everybody out and Arcade fire that became bands I absolutely adore. So open your minds when you go to a show.

Mike_911
04-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Welcome, Frank Turner! Is Boston the only date you're doing or are you going to be on any of the others? I'd love to see you in New York.

EDIT: Whoops, Toronto too. But hey, it'd be great to see you in NYC.

I'm not sure how many shows you've gone to, but the openers don't "cut into the band you are travelling 4 hours to see." The Offspring are going to play the same length set regardless.

Shows like this are a great chance to get exposed to some awesome new music you might not have found otherwise. And in addition, Frank speaks the truth -- the band invited him, so have a little respect, man. Go in with an open mind!

He is playing NYC too. Look at the tour dates on the main page and they have been updated with what shows he will be on.

ft'sinternetgoonsquad
04-08-2009, 05:52 PM
hi all,

massive (British) frank turner fan here.

firstly: frank has some great tunes, and puts on an amazing live show. he will definitely impress if you check his set out.

secondly: to the guy claiming frank isn't 'punk'. well, whatever, maybe his music isn't what you consider 'punk' - who cares? but - over the last 10 years frank has probably played a show in every toilet in the uk, and has done similar through much of europe and the usa. oh, and with his band 'million dead' he made what is largely considered a seminal uk post-hardcore album.

thirdly: to the guy claiming that frank will cut into the offspring's show - you clearly have never been to a gig before - are you sure you are old enough to be posting on this message board?

if any of you have spotify, you should be able to listen to frank's albums on there in the US (i assume), or just check out his myspace. for his live show, there is quite a lot on youtube - start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1vRbIIKltA&feature=related

Little_Miss_1565
04-08-2009, 06:16 PM
He is playing NYC too. Look at the tour dates on the main page and they have been updated with what shows he will be on.

LOL, oops. I should probs check the main page more often! Looking forward to it.

To FT's goon squad--no need for goon squads, homes. The people talking shit are hardly a representative majority. I hope we can get on with the tour with lots of positivity :)

ft'sinternetgoonsquad
04-08-2009, 06:21 PM
To FT's goon squad--no need for goon squads, homes. The people talking shit are hardly a representative majority. I hope we can get on with the tour with lots of positivity :)

hah, don't take goon squad with any seriousness, just a little joke. :)

I am seriously jealous of those who can get to these shows. If I wasn't such a very very poor student I would be buying some tickets and flying across the atlantic to be there.

g00d0let0m
04-08-2009, 06:43 PM
I am the one who started this thread, and personaly i think everyone is being immature. First of all it started off as a simple question that, as usual got blown way out of proportion. Yes I have been to another concert where the opener cut atleast 5 songs out of the headlines set. How do I know this? I looked at other setlists of the same tour with no openers. I think everyone should chill out a little, I am open to listening to new things which everyone assumes(which in this case it does make an ass out of most of you and makes me look like one) that I am not. Also, this is a Offspring webpage, not Frank Turners, so you can see how I would get mad that another opener would come to MA. And if any of you would actually read the orignal message and all the other ones, I think Frank Turner's music is good but, id rather see more of the offspring. Whoever doesnt like my opinion can go piss off, casue frankly, im tired of the bitchin'.

g00d0let0m
04-08-2009, 06:46 PM
hi all,

massive (British) frank turner fan here.

firstly: frank has some great tunes, and puts on an amazing live show. he will definitely impress if you check his set out.

secondly: to the guy claiming frank isn't 'punk'. well, whatever, maybe his music isn't what you consider 'punk' - who cares? but - over the last 10 years frank has probably played a show in every toilet in the uk, and has done similar through much of europe and the usa. oh, and with his band 'million dead' he made what is largely considered a seminal uk post-hardcore album.

thirdly: to the guy claiming that frank will cut into the offspring's show - you clearly have never been to a gig before - are you sure you are old enough to be posting on this message board?

if any of you have spotify, you should be able to listen to frank's albums on there in the US (i assume), or just check out his myspace. for his live show, there is quite a lot on youtube - start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1vRbIIKltA&feature=related

Firstly, that's me it's the same person not 3 different people, but if you read the original or any of the other posts, you would know that. Secondly, this isnt Frank Turner fan club, this is the offspring.

Flaming Phoenix
04-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Firstly, that's me it's the same person not 3 different people, but if you read the original or any of the other posts, you would know that. Secondly, this isnt Frank Turner fan club, this is the offspring.

I would have to agree with g00d0let0m, people should really read the thread before posting a response. I would also have to agree with the fact that set lists can be cut short because I too have been to concerts where the main band's set list had been cut short due to the fact of opening bands, so I can see his reason for concern. If I had paid to see The Offspring, then I would see why one can get upset if other bands cut their time short, but they never come anywhere near my city:( So, he should be thankful that he gets to see the offspring in concert and should enjoy the concert regardless of the opening bands because the offspring always delivers a good concert no matter what!

Little_Miss_1565
04-08-2009, 08:14 PM
I would have to agree with g00d0let0m, people should really read the thread before posting a response. I would also have to agree with the fact that set lists can be cut short because I too have been to concerts where the main band's set list had been cut short due to the fact of opening bands, so I can see his reason for concern. If I had paid to see The Offspring, then I would see why one can get upset if other bands cut their time short, but they never come anywhere near my city:( So, he should be thankful that he gets to see the offspring in concert and should enjoy the concert regardless of the opening bands because the offspring always delivers a good concert no matter what!

I'd really love to know what shows you guys are going to, then. In 10 years of going to shows, this has never, ever, ever happened at any show I've been to. Nor has it been the case at any show I've played.

Set times are often in the bands' contracts with the venue, and I'm sure would be a part of the process with the headliner, in this case the Offspring. If the Offspring wanted to play a 3 hour set, they wouldn't have invited a headliner, let alone invited two.

jacknife737
04-08-2009, 08:18 PM
I'd really love to know what shows you guys are going to, then. In 10 years of going to shows, this has never, ever, ever happened at any show I've been to. Nor has it been the case at any show I've played.

Set times are often in the bands' contracts with the venue, and I'm sure would be a part of the process with the headliner, in this case the Offspring. If the Offspring wanted to play a 3 hour set, they wouldn't have invited a headliner, let alone invited two.

This.

Frank was invited by the band; so just relax, this just seemed a silly issue to get upset over.

Edit: I think it's also pretty rad, that Frank took the time to post here.

WebDudette
04-08-2009, 11:47 PM
The only time I've ever seen a band cut a set-list is when another band was randomly added to their show... As the new headliner. Fucking Aquabats.

frankturner
04-09-2009, 01:39 AM
I am the one who started this thread, and personaly i think everyone is being immature. First of all it started off as a simple question that, as usual got blown way out of proportion. Yes I have been to another concert where the opener cut atleast 5 songs out of the headlines set. How do I know this? I looked at other setlists of the same tour with no openers. I think everyone should chill out a little, I am open to listening to new things which everyone assumes(which in this case it does make an ass out of most of you and makes me look like one) that I am not. Also, this is a Offspring webpage, not Frank Turners, so you can see how I would get mad that another opener would come to MA. And if any of you would actually read the orignal message and all the other ones, I think Frank Turner's music is good but, id rather see more of the offspring. Whoever doesnt like my opinion can go piss off, casue frankly, im tired of the bitchin'.

It's all good man, chill. Obviously the focus of both this place and the show is the Offspring. Like I said, I'm stoked to be involved, I'm a fan too. Can't speak for other experiences of yours, but I assure you that their set time won't be affected by little ol' me. The only reason I felt moved to post here, to be fair, was your initial question "who the hell does he think he is?" which is, I think you'll agree, a touch aggressive. Bands have support acts, generally speaking, you'll notice.

Oxygene
04-09-2009, 04:01 AM
HAHA what a Frank Turner win :)

Oxygene
04-09-2009, 04:04 AM

Well the Berlin gig got cut short due to some bullshit.. and I've seen time slots slide where the headliner pays for it, but it's mostly never the case 1) at the bands own shows 2) it's usually (or basically) never the fault of the opening acts douchebaggery.

Oh well...

Little_Miss_1565
04-09-2009, 09:47 AM
The only reason I felt moved to post here, to be fair, was your initial question "who the hell does he think he is?" which is, I think you'll agree, a touch aggressive. Bands have support acts, generally speaking, you'll notice.

Frank Turner full of win. The answer to the question "who the hell does he think he is?" is, as he mentioned, "an invited guest of the Offspring." See you at the Roseland, brother!

Well the Berlin gig got cut short due to some bullshit.. and I've seen time slots slide where the headliner pays for it, but it's mostly never the case 1) at the bands own shows 2) it's usually (or basically) never the fault of the opening acts douchebaggery.

Oh well...

This. If an opener is having difficulties, it's usually their own set that will get cut short rather than cut into the headliner who, presumably, most people have come to see. I played a show once where my 11 piece band was opening for a three person laptop-based band, and our soundcheck took so long the headliner didn't get to soundcheck at all. But that's also because the crew at the venue was functionally retarded...I don't care if you're soundchecking a marching band, it should not take two fucking hours to soundcheck, especially when we can set up and break down including three drum kits in 30 mins. Anyway. The headliner didn't get to soundcheck because of all the trouble the crew was having with us, but their set was pristine and untouched.

nieh
04-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Starland Ballroom mentions "A very special guest opener will be announced in a few weeks." Is that Frank or someone else?