PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek.

[DJ_bj]
04-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey. What do you think is the best Star Trek series?
Personally i like The next generation. and the original series comes in second.
What do you Think?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/DataTNG.jpg

wheelchairman
04-14-2009, 10:48 AM
I have a lot to write about this. I love Star Trek.

There are going to be a lot of spoilers.

The Original Series is great, is my general conclusion. It doesn't really stand a chance next to the newer series in that it's also 30 years older. However the fact that it's still enjoyable and surprising and interesting. Also it was the only Star Trek to do anything ballsy socially, with having black people and woman portrayed as intellectuals and professionals capable as anyone else to do their job. (Except for Dr. Daystrom who wanted to destroy the enterprise, that hack doesn't deserve his institute!) Oh and having a Russian who wasn't evil or a spy was probably pretty novel. None of the other series really pushes the line with any of this stuff.

Next Generation might be my favorite. But his has some series flaws. For example the entirety of the first season is almost unwatchable. It is so painfully bad.And then you start the second season and the first episode of that season is fucking terrible. However the second season becomes able to hold it's own, and also be pretty good. Katherine Pulasky was always a more interesting character than Dr. Crusher. Speaking of Crusher, the less Wesley obviously the better. Wesley was fucking terrible. Fucking awful. However Wil Wheaton more than makes up for this by writing such fantastic reviews of the first season episodes. (http://www.tvsquad.com/bloggers/wil-wheaton/) These reviews make the shows watchable. Anyways TNG gets pretty good from season 3 onwards, really good actually. It's TNG's saving grace, if they didn't become amazingly good later on it would've just been a terrible show. I mean it did start out terribly, but then it was able to develop into a program that re-started a franchise so that says something about the quality change.

Deep Space 9 is probably my favorite though. I have some serious problems with listening to the writers talk about it though. But as far as the story goes yeah I think DS9 would be my favorite. They also had an amazing cast of recurring characters, Weyoun, Garak, Gul Dukat, Grand Nagus Zek, etc. The cast itself was fairly strong as well. The characters eventually become pretty well-defined and entertaining. The geo-political events of the series are also very interesting, especially the later season story arcs.
Downsides, that stupid Bajoran religion. Oh and Sisko being a prophet. So fucking gay. Also Sisko's relationship with Cassidy Yates was not for a single second believable. It seems much more like an after-thought. However Sisko's relationship with his son was surprisingly good all the way through. The writer's for Jake learned 'what not to do' from Wesley and made a very believable young guy. Also Gul Dukat sleeping with Kai Winn still cracks me up.

Voyager is a great series. I've really been enjoying it so far. Unfortunately by the 6th season it seems they've really stopped caring about character development. I mean 7 of 9 still gets some character stories because she's a new character, and she's really entertaining. She's not just some big-titted model, she can convincingly play an ex-borg/child now adult person. Which would be difficult since I can't really find the words to explain it. And it was good getting rid of Kes because Kes was really really boring. I generally enjoy the cast, I've enjoyed the story archs. Voyager is a very strong show in general.

Enterprise I've only made it to the middle of season 2 so far. Season 2 is much better than season 1. By season 2 human beings have learned that it's not necessary to yell whenever a vulcan is in the same room as they are. Generally it's pretty good so far. The theme song always makes me grin because it's ridiculously tacky. I mean wow. T'Pol also has ridiculously big tits, however she is not as convincing as a vulcan as Tuvok or Spock were, at least not for the first season. The second season she comes off to a pretty good start.

I wonder if this is too many words. Have I written a post longer than Bella?

sipptaroowsky
04-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I've got a few words to write too, since I'm a trekaholic. After seeing all of the episodes and the movies I am looking forward to the new movie. But I am very disappointed that the new Kirk is blond, blue eyed and as white as a ghost. Quinto as Spock however is a jackpot, but I am disappointed that every character is a body builder with shaved chest.

TOS was a revolution, introducing a Russian dude in to the show in the middle of a cold war is very hard core and a show of open mind, also the African American woman on the ship is also pretty hard core. A Chinese on the ship is also great, there is also Scotty, the Scott. McCoy the pessimist doctor is almost my favorite, being all pessimistic and looking at everything with his point of view. And Kirk, that dude is an egomaniac, he has all the women, he fixes everything and very American. But I guess it has to be that way, its unfortunate the show had only 3 seasons. And then we come to Spock, the greatest character in the entire ST history. Spock always does the good thing, and the fact that he neglects his humanity and only thinks about things rather than feels is awesome. He is also very traditional but very open minded and scientific, he can calculate everything, this whole Vulcan „arrogant“ superiority is amazing to me.

TNG is great to me for only one thing, the Romulus. I love those almost Vulcans. Always sneaky, backstabbers, and the whole fascism is almost all right with me. The bad thing (but by many a good thing) in the show, are those retard Klingons. When I see Klingons in space I wonder „how the hell did those animals invent the warp drive“. TNG is great because of the Borg too. Oh DATA, data is just great. Wesley was a disaster, so was his mom.

DS9 is my worst I think. Over all I think Sisco is the most realistic captain in the whole series, even though he is a demy God. I like the fact that Bajorans are terrorists, religious fanatics, I think it's an American response to the Middle East situation, in the show they're giving them a chance, to hear them out and such. But those idiots Ferengies are...idiotic, bloody capitalist children. The Vortas are amazing though, I especially like that guy on DS9, I can't remember his name though. But Gul Dukat is...now that I'm in the military I see Gul Dukats everywhere, so straight forward „simple“ in a way but a mental patients. The whole scenario in which the Bajorans defeat the Cardasians is a joke. And those prophets are idiotic too. In the wormhole a whole fleet of the dominion comes to butcher everyone and then the prophets just make them disappear. BAH. People usually love DS9 because of all the battles and what not.

VOY, then we come to Voyager, my favorite. The best thing about the show are the Borg. Those hunters too are great. Kes sucks, she is so calm, and always „feels“ crap. But 7 of nine sucks even more. I mean, do those breasts have to be THAT big. I think Voyager is great because they're in the uncharted space; they're on the brink of extinction almost every show. And that new unkillable anty Borg species is great too. Captain Janeway is a bad ars, Nelix sucks though, but Tuvok is great. Pariss sucks too, Harry Kim is all right. But Chekotay is great. Spock and Chekotay are the only two first officers I like. He has that whole with the nature attitude, everything means a lot to him, great dude. I have no idea what he's doing with 7 of nine, he could do much better . BAH. Bellana Torres is allso allright, I have no idea what she's doing with that Pariss egomaniac either,. And that Pariss guy was in Starfleet, and was partially responsible for the death of a few cadets. However his name was not Pariss then, it was some other thing, and I have no idea hwy they changed it. Voyager is the best in my opinion.

ENT- enterprise is great to me only because there are a lot of Vulcans in it and it explains how it all began and all, great. Time traveling too, great to me, and the war with the xindi is fabulous.

If I had some inter time and space device I'd make a crew of Janeway as captain, Spock as first officer, Odo in security, Data on helm, Scotty or Reed in the engineering, I think I'd go with Reed, Reed has that uncheerfull personality, which is not that common in ST. Kim on communications, Tuvok on Tactical and,,,what else is there, I've got no ide,. Oh an away team- Dax definitely, the hologram doctor (who is a legend guy by the way), Data too, Spoc as well and some other folk I guess.

My favorite thing about the show is the time traveling. The fact that everything can change, and how nothing is straight forward, everything is relative, great. But they've got it wrong a lot of times, like they travel back in time, get back, and nothing is changed...like anything they did, even the smallest thing doesn't change a thing. I mean, if I go back in time and give a gold coin to someone, that person might put it in a bank, after time get 10000dollars, buy a car and run over Che Guevara, so , that would change allot. I think they most times get it right, since everything that's about to happen already happened, like, if I'm going to the past to visit my 10 year old self, then as a 10 year old I was already visited by me. I allso like the Q alot in TNG and VOY.

It's also very great how the show progressed. The first captain is a die hard American, the second captain is French, third is African American, and then a woman captain. Then back to the good old white American. I'm hoping for an alien captain in the following shows, or maybe a Croat,,,I'd settle for a Slav.

There is also one great thing about all the shows all together – no religions, no human religions that is.

wheelchairman
04-14-2009, 12:30 PM
You're complaining about Seven's tits, do you have a penis?

Besides Seven is conservative compared to oh any female cast member in the original series.

The Ferengi are also great in DS9. They're a metaphor for humans man! But actually they are just great, you would think at some point some aliens would get fed up with the preachy starfleet captains flying around the galaxy forcing their will. It's not until DS9 we actually see that.

Otherwise I disagree with you on Voyager, I think most of the cast is great. Janeway is a bit dull, Chakotay is underexplored in the last seasons, and the Doctor is always a joy.

KyleW
04-14-2009, 03:21 PM
http://picard.ytmnd.com/

Free?
04-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Those two textwalls make me think that my life is incomplete for not watching Star Trek.

sipptaroowsky
04-15-2009, 10:46 AM
You're complaining about Seven's tits, do you have a penis?

Besides Seven is conservative compared to oh any female cast member in the original series.

The Ferengi are also great in DS9. They're a metaphor for humans man! But actually they are just great, you would think at some point some aliens would get fed up with the preachy starfleet captains flying around the galaxy forcing their will. It's not until DS9 we actually see that.

Otherwise I disagree with you on Voyager, I think most of the cast is great. Janeway is a bit dull, Chakotay is underexplored in the last seasons, and the Doctor is always a joy.

I see your point about the DS9, it is a completely new aproach, they're on a cardas space station, everything goes wrong now and then, they're being hated from all sides, and sisco is great. And about 7 of nine, I'm not watching Star Trek becouse I wanna get hard, I watch it becouse it's bloody great. There's allso defiant with the cloak in the DS9, which shouldn't be there, and the Maki, the Maki are great too, taking matters in to theyr own hands, this is mega great too. But those prophets, those Bajorans and theyre constant complains, and the retard Klingons, they have a new emperor every 10 minutes, and it's always some prime school educated man. And most of the cast on Voyager IS great, I completely agree with that, the Doctor, Janeway, Chakotay, Tuvok, Kim, Belana, that's the most of them. I allso allmost liked Kes, but...bah. How far have you come with watching ENT?

sipptaroowsky
04-15-2009, 10:49 AM
T'Pol also has ridiculously big tits,

you were mentioning some penises earlyer?

wheelchairman
04-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Ridiculously big is an exaggerated term I use, I approve of her chest.

And as far as the Klingon Emperor's go, Gowron is cool. Gowron is like one of the craziest looking actors ever. It's great. But it also makes sense with the Empire, because it's a feudal based society with power-intrigues and all the works. Houses fighting against houses, alliances against alliances, it's all very interesting. Not to mention Martok is also really fucking cool.

Tizzalicious
04-15-2009, 11:10 AM
I was always very anti-star trek, but Per did a good job of getting me into it. I didn't like it at first because the episode we started with had too many people with "weird foreheads". Now I can't believe I used to think that. WTF?

We first watched Next Generation, and I loved that. Then we went on to DS9, which I didn't like as much at first, probably because I was used to Next Generation, but I ended up LOVING it. I was sad when we finished the last season. Even though it already got spoiled a bit because I saw one of the last scenes in some of the extras on an earlier disc. Why the fuck do they do that? H8.

Anyway, since then we have watched Voyager and Enterprise as well, and I am catching up with the Original Series.

I honestly can't say which one I like most. Enterprise seems different to me, because everything is closer to "our" time, it feels like the people are more from here, so it feels closer to home or something.

So yeah, I can't pick a favorite series, but as far as favorite caracters: Kira Nerys, the doctor in Voyager, Picard (<3 Picard!), Spock & Bones combi (no, not in a slash kind of way), Seven of Nine, Dr. Flux, Sisko, Data, Miles 'O Brien....oh, and Molly of course. Cutie.

[DJ_bj]
05-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Heyy..today is the 8th. Anyone seen the movie yet???:confused:

T-6005
05-08-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm walking out the door to do so now. See you all in a few hours.

[DJ_bj]
05-08-2009, 10:10 AM
i wanna see it :eek:

[DJ_bj]
05-08-2009, 10:12 AM
sooooo bad

wheelchairman
05-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm seeing the premier tonight at half past nine.

jacknife737
05-08-2009, 01:06 PM
So excited to see this; hopefully i'll be able to catch a showing tomorrow night.

T-6005
05-08-2009, 02:55 PM
It was pretty damn enjoyable.

JJ Abrams did a good job of mild homage to the classic series while still giving Star Trek the speed boost and face lift it needed to be widely accepted. The storyline made a decent amount of sense and thankfully kept to its own internal logic (Sci-Fi breaking its own logic has always irked me) and aside from one scene where someone can see a planet from another planet and you were all "wft they weren't anywhere near" it was quite fun and impressive.

Though I was definitely under the impression while in the theater that watching this movie on any but the largest TVs would be underwhelming. Go watch it in theaters.

Tizzalicious
05-08-2009, 11:38 PM
I saw it last night and loooooved it!

I guess that's all I have to say about it.

Except that time travel still confuses the shit out of me, so I had some "huh?" moments.

Llamas
05-08-2009, 11:41 PM
800 word essay about nerdiness

Jesus Christ. And I thought I was a nerd.

Those two textwalls make me think that my life is incomplete for not watching Star Trek.
Really? Interesting, they make me feel so much awesomer about my own life. ;)

wheelchairman
05-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Nah you aren't nerdy enough. Maybe geeky, *maybe*. You don't talk about band enough to really qualify though.

Now the movie itself was fucking awesome. It got me really excited about the franchise because it brings you back to the feeling of when you first saw Star Trek as a kid. (For me) that was just one episode where Picard shoots a lot of people and then Picard and Riker used two phasers to melt some alien guys' skin (holy graphic scene Batman!) That shit was awesome.

And just watching these starships go light speed (to warp) was really cool to see. It made outer space seem once again like outer space, like the original series used to make it seem like when you were a kid (and obviously watching re-runs.)

Obviously I got a kick every single time they made a reference to some other Star Trek thing. Whenever Kirk, Spock or McCoy would give us a classic line. Or when the guy in the red suit dies, or the reference to 'Admiral Archer' and his 'prized beagle.' I like that they used techno-babble but mostly gave it to Chekov to say awkwardly. I generally thought the casting was really cool. It was awesome to see Kirk in a barfight and generally act like a prick. And the guy they casted as McCoy was fucking spot on. Perfect.

Also, awesome battle scenes in space or with phasers.

This movie was great, I feel it was about as close as you can get to the original series, it was the movie that Star Trek fans deserved. Fuck I loved that shit.

ninthz
05-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Or when the guy in the red suit dies
I was waiting for it as soon as they suited up.

Llamas
05-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Nah you aren't nerdy enough. Maybe geeky, *maybe*. You don't talk about band enough to really qualify though.

haha, damn it!! I'm not in band anymore, I feel like it'd be kinda weird if I still talked about it a lot. ;)

wheelchairman
05-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Well it's pretty hard to be a geek after high school anyways.

Llamas
05-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Oh I was even more hardcore about band in college than in high school! :P Apparently I break the mold...

Anyway, Star Trek is umm... yeah. I've seen deep space 9. I watched it when I was a kid don't remember anything about it. My older brother had the entire collection of Next Generation action figures and then my asshole step dad threw them all out.

Tizzalicious
05-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Obviously I got a kick every single time they made a reference to some other Star Trek thing. Whenever Kirk, Spock or McCoy would give us a classic line. Or when the guy in the red suit dies, or the reference to 'Admiral Archer' and his 'prized beagle.' I like that they used techno-babble but mostly gave it to Chekov to say awkwardly. I generally thought the casting was really cool. It was awesome to see Kirk in a barfight and generally act like a prick. And the guy they casted as McCoy was fucking spot on. Perfect.

Yes yes yes!

And also I think it was so very Star Trek, but at the same time also not, like, all those classic lines were so great, and the casting and everything, but at the same time it wasn't geeky or nerdy but more just a fantastic action movie that EVERYONE will love (or should love) and not just people who were already into Star Trek.

It made me want to watch everything again too, because the timeline was different, so I would be like "Hmmm, what was that like in the series again?! and "That shouldn't have been possible", but then in the end it all made sense again. But I do want to see all the episodes again.

Ah well, better finish Enterprise, Voyager and the Original Series first, I think we have 1 season of each to go and then I've seen it all. Oh how I love to be a Star Trek loving geek.

Tizzalicious
05-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Anyway, Star Trek is umm... yeah. I've seen deep space 9. I watched it when I was a kid don't remember anything about it. My older brother had the entire collection of Next Generation action figures and then my asshole step dad threw them all out.

Per used to have Picard doll, which seems to have gone missing, which makes me incredibly sad :(

When I was going through some boxes with some of his old crap earlier this week I found a tiny borg cube though (about 5 x 5 cm, 2 x 2 inch) with tiiiiny like Borgs in it. HEART!

Llamas
05-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Per used to have Picard doll, which seems to have gone missing, which makes me incredibly sad :(

When I was going through some boxes with some of his old crap earlier this week I found a tiny borg cube though (about 5 x 5 cm, 2 x 2 inch) with tiiiiny like Borgs in it. HEART!

....borgs?

Bipolar Bear
05-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I never listened to Star Trek but I saw the movie. It was nice I must say.

T-6005
05-09-2009, 05:04 PM
I was waiting for it as soon as they suited up.

Oh man, me too.

I actually went back to see it again today - glad I did. Still fun, and some of the effects and sense of just space need to be seen in theaters.

[DJ_bj]
05-11-2009, 10:17 AM
dont you hate how they messed up the romulans?
http://www.liberalrapture.com/uploaded_images/romulan-789281.jpg
compared with
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3056/3048445815_41556150d0.jpg

wheelchairman
05-11-2009, 10:26 AM
No not really. In fact I thought that was pretty forgivable. In the original series the Romulans wore helmets cause they couldn't afford to give everyone pointy-ears. :p

In fact I like that there was more variation between Romulans and Vulcans.

[DJ_bj]
05-11-2009, 10:33 AM
No not really. In fact I thought that was pretty forgivable. In the original series the Romulans wore helmets cause they couldn't afford to give everyone pointy-ears. :p

In fact I like that there was more variation between Romulans and Vulcans.

True. But i thought it seemed pretty simplistic to just give nero some tattoos to distinguish him from the vulcans.

[DJ_bj]
05-11-2009, 10:34 AM
And have you heard of the sequel?
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Untitled_Star_Trek_sequel

wheelchairman
05-11-2009, 10:36 AM
A sequel is optimistic, but that would rock so hard.

Anyways if you looked closer the difference is much more striking, the ears are different for one, both pointy but with different details. Finally and most importantly, they have different haircuts. Its about time.

IamSam
05-12-2009, 01:13 AM
I just got back from it. Damn good movie.

T-6005
05-12-2009, 06:59 AM
A sequel is optimistic, but that would rock so hard.

In this world? If this film had done anywhere near mediocre it would have a sequel. Now that it's doing well?

SEQUELTIME.

wheelchairman
05-12-2009, 07:15 AM
Well it did well on opening weekend. Who knows what people will choose to watch next. :p

T-6005
05-12-2009, 07:38 AM
I wouldn't mind a sequel, but as much as I liked the fact that this one stayed true to the image I had of Star Trek even while branching out, I'd like to see a little bit of experimentation in the next one.

Like a Starfleet civil war or something - that would be pretty sweet.

wheelchairman
05-12-2009, 08:03 AM
That would kinda suck. But now that Vulcan has blown up it's anybody's guess as to what the ramifications of such an action be. Pre-emptive warfare?

[DJ_bj]
05-12-2009, 10:10 AM
i feel bad for the uss kelvin. that lil thing had no chance.
http://www.sliceofscifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/st-uss-kelvin-ncc-0514_l.jpg

[DJ_bj]
05-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Anyways if you looked closer the difference is much more striking, the ears are different for one, both pointy but with different details. Finally and most importantly, they have different haircuts. Its about time.

The ears are super fatttttttttttttttt..

Llamas
05-12-2009, 09:37 PM
THIS IS HILARIOUS!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM)

"Longtime fans of the Star Trek franchise say JJ Abrams' enjoyable, engaging prequel betrays what Star Trek is all about."

Omni
05-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Is this a picture of Spock? Or Data?

Have you like, NEVER watched a tv before? Jaysus.

Outerspaceman21
05-12-2009, 09:56 PM
THIS IS HILARIOUS!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM)

"Longtime fans of the Star Trek franchise say JJ Abrams' enjoyable, engaging prequel betrays what Star Trek is all about."

The subtitles part was awesome

nieh
05-20-2009, 03:15 PM
I liked how in the movie young Spock left Kirk stranded on Hoth. And then Kirk started being chased by that CG Wampa, and then old Spock came along and saved the day by slicing open a tauntaun's belly and shoving Kirk inside to keep him warm.

sipptaroowsky
06-19-2009, 04:40 AM
;1301942']don’t you hate how they messed up the romulans?
http://www.liberalrapture.com/uploaded_images/romulan-789281.jpg
Compared with
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3056/3048445815_41556150d0.jpg

I just love how every now and then a new director comes along and fucks up the classic, just because it’s cool now to have tattoos and not have that V on the head, hell, let’s f**k up their planet while we’re at it.

So I decided to kill Abrams and whoever wrote the script.
The movie is nice, it’s flashy, it’s greatly made, it has nice jokes and nice catch phrases and it’s nice to see for everyone except a trekkie. I am surprised how all of you “trekkies” like the movie so much. I mean I like it but not looove it, it’s the best movie so far but there’s one thing that shouldn’t happen. Abrams f****d up the time line, he destroyed a 6 billion people planet, and if that planet was earth I’d maybe be ok with it, or a Klingon planet, that’d be awesome too, but for f***s sake, you can’t destroy fu****g VULCAN. So there are a couple of thousands of Vulcans left, there is 40 years of star trek history,,,that is lost. I love Nero’s accent, when he says that “it has happened, don’t tell me it hasn’t happened since I saw it happen”, he sounds like a person from Kloštar Podravski would sound if he\she spoke English. I love it how its shown they youth Kirk and Spock,the whole Vulcan learning system is awesome, the buildings on Vulcan are great and that ancient temple is also kick arsish, so I know what you’re thinking….let’s just destroy the whole f****g planet. This is exactly what’s wrong with American mentality. I hate it how almost all people on the ship are American, with a lovely American accent, nice American tan and a great American mentality. Just great, f**k the rest of the world, we don’t exist. I hate it how the warp engines look like a bloody Cadillac. Now the good stuff.

The first time I saw the movie I almost had a f****g heart attack, and when they were on Nero’s ship I thought…”oh my God, there’s ten minutes of movie left and there’s no time to jump back in time and save Vulcan from being destroyed”. So the movie ends and I’m planning my time in prison after I kill Abrams. The second time I watched the movie I really enjoyed it since I wasn’t surprised by the ending. I love it how the ships look, that eyebrowless doctor that delivers Kirk is bloody awesome. I like it how daddy Kirk smashes a ship in to Nero’s ship … a bit terrorist-ish, and I like it. Young Spock is fabulous, being all logical and what not. Young Kirk is also great, answering a Nokia phone in the car, and smashing the car, I think that “officer” is a robot. Hah, when I heard “Budweiser classic” I laughed my arse off. McCoy is bloody great too, his sarcastic pessimistic arrogant behavior is fabulous. Uhura is…well. Oh have you noticed “the lightsabre”? When Hikaru Sulu jumps on that platform he pulls out a knife with just the handle, pushes a button and this thing expands in to a sword,,,familiar? I like it. Chekov is a God, his attitude and accent are bloody amazing. I like Pike too. Scotty is bloody fabulous, they really picked a great acting staff to in body the crew, and they really nailed it on that one. Nero is also bloody amazing but I don’t like it how they genetically changed their forehead, I guess they’re going to explain it in the shows as “experimenting with human DNA” like with the Klingons too. The whole crew is bloody amazing, the film is bloody amazing but did they really need to f**k up the story line?

Anyway the actors signed a contract for three ST movies, so they might time travel in the future films and still save Vulcan, if they don’t … I promise you that many trekkies are going to be pissed. Not everyone is a f****g Klingon fan. Anyway I love the movie and I’m going to kill the director, I hate it how it’s so f****g American, I can’t wait for the day when a captain of the ship will no longer be human or at least be a Slav (Polish, Czech, Slovak, Sloven, Croatian, Bosnian or Herzegovinian, Russian, Macedon, Kosovian, Monte Negrian, Ukrainian, Prussian, or any I didn’t write, I'd even settle for a bloody Serb). Since, everything is in the states. The academy is in the states, the warp drive was invented in the states, the third world war ended in the states … come the f**k on and join the rest of the world. There’s no way we’ll ever reach the stars if we subdue to one nations view of the future. SO. This uber mega post was a bit tiresome I believe I’m going to go get a shower, thank you for reading, if anyone did. The movie is great.

wheelchairman
06-19-2009, 08:00 AM
I guess what I don't like is your anti-American attitude towards this film. I mean wtf? They have a Korean actor, a guy playing with a Russian accent, an alien, an Englishman (who plays a Scot), and then its Kírk, McCoy, and Uhura who are American, and you think this movie is all about Americans? Wtf?

Man, don't go see Terminator: Salvation, that will really piss you off.

As for the time-line. I'm a huge Trekkie and I thought it was great how they changed it. It is soooo Star Trek to change the time-line through time-travel. The beauty of it is they didn't destroy the 40 years of Star Trek already made, THAT'S still CANON. This just gives them the perfect opportunity to
a. Start over
b. Start over in a way that allows completely different possibilities so it won't be predictable.

It was awesome, I loved it.

sipptaroowsky
06-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I guess what I don't like is your anti-American attitude towards this film. I mean wtf? They have a Korean actor, a guy playing with a Russian accent, an alien, an Englishman (who plays a Scot), and then its Kírk, McCoy, and Uhura who are American, and you think this movie is all about Americans? Wtf?

Man, don't go see Terminator: Salvation, that will really piss you off.

As for the time-line. I'm a huge Trekkie and I thought it was great how they changed it. It is soooo Star Trek to change the time-line through time-travel. The beauty of it is they didn't destroy the 40 years of Star Trek already made, THAT'S still CANON. This just gives them the perfect opportunity to
a. Start over
b. Start over in a way that allows completely different possibilities so it won't be predictable.

It was awesome, I loved it.

you can't say the movie is not american, it's obvious it it. well I respect your opinion and I liked the movie aswell but all previous time changing didn't end up with this catastrophic results, they allways came to a solution that was allright and not to alter univers-ish. I hope I'm not an antyamerican by my post but you can't deny the whole us-ish mentality of the movie. And I apologise for judging you as a trekkie, I was in seriously no position to do that.

wheelchairman
06-20-2009, 03:39 AM
Of course it is American, it's made their. It's like I'm sure most Croatian films don't have a lot of Americans in them do they? You're holding up the American film industry to different standards (and while the American industry is larger and has more money available) its not entirely fair.

Especially with regards to this movie. If you don't want to see Americans in your movies, stop watching American films......

Although to be fair, William Shatner IS Canadian.

sipptaroowsky
06-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Of course it is American, it's made their. It's like I'm sure most Croatian films don't have a lot of Americans in them do they? You're holding up the American film industry to different standards (and while the American industry is larger and has more money available) its not entirely fair.

Especially with regards to this movie. If you don't want to see Americans in your movies, stop watching American films......

Although to be fair, William Shatner IS Canadian.

whow mate, you're sweating it a bit, I'm calling this one so american becosue the rest of the films or the shows are not so much american, and there are a lot of great american shows that are not completley american, like "The Office", "It's allways sunny in philadelphia" "30 Rock"and some other stuff I like, over all this is the best st movie made but...the history is fucked, and that's arogant, to chenge the 40 year history that million of trekkies aroung the globe enjoyed,

wheelchairman
06-21-2009, 07:14 AM
How is that arrogant? They didn't change it or eliminate it, they just created an alternate timeline, I think it was a really good idea. Even Wil Wheaton loved it. ;)

Sidewinder
06-21-2009, 07:24 AM
For a person who has only seen the movie, what series/season would be the best to start with?

wheelchairman
06-21-2009, 07:53 AM
The earlier you start, the more of the references and stuff you'll get later on. :)

Personally I would say start with The Next Generation, season 2. Skip the first episode, so start with "Where Silence Has Lease".

As for the other movies,
Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan, its good. But I think people think its awesome because it followed The Motion Picture, which was terrible. And the next two movies are sequels to this movie. The Search for Spock (okay) and The Voyage Home (very good.)

Then the best of the original series movies is probably Undiscovered Country. It's my favorite. The Motion Picture and The Final Frontier are just really really bad movies.

Of the newer ones, well they're all good. Some are better (First Contact) than others.

sipptaroowsky
06-21-2009, 10:06 AM
For a person who has only seen the movie, what series/season would be the best to start with?

I'd sugjest DS9 since it has a lot of action and people tend to like that, my favourite is the voyager

wheelchairman
06-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah, DS9 is always a good choice for a first-timer.

sipptaroowsky
06-21-2009, 10:11 AM
How is that arrogant? They didn't change it or eliminate it, they just created an alternate timeline, I think it was a really good idea. Even Will Wheaton loved it. ;)

Oh my, little Wesley liked it huh? Hm, Wesley is something of a genius, he might invent some time-cure to reverse all this stuff. F**k the universe without Vulcan or Romulus.

And how is it not destroyed. That episode in which you have Spock's mom onboard the enterprise and his dad, and when he says in the episode "It was logical" .... so that episode doesn't exist anymore since his mom is no longer alive. The whole Voyager season doesn't exist since Tuvok was never born, and without Tuvok among the Makee they might not end up in the delta quadrant. That homicidal Vulcan on DS9 doesn't exist so.-..that episode doesn't exist anymore. Spock’s brother is probably dead so the whole movie in which they go to the center of the galaxy doesn't exist anymore,,,how is it not arrogant to destroy so many episodes of Trek. And don't tell me they still exist in some other universe since nobody's going to concentrate on that alternativity since we've got a brand new crew here. I think, and I'm sorry if I'll insult you with this, I think that many people have been blinded by the new great movie including yourself and are ready to forget what made ST great. And it's not the brand new ship, it's not the great effects on the screen, it's not any of the crap, it's the story line, it's the unity between so many aliens and all that crap, ah, why do I even bother.

dexter12296566
07-02-2009, 07:42 AM
i love star trek i have the whole original book series by james blish and i watch the show almost every morning
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

wheelchairman
07-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Oh my, little Wesley liked it huh? Hm, Wesley is something of a genius, he might invent some time-cure to reverse all this stuff. F**k the universe without Vulcan or Romulus.

And how is it not destroyed. That episode in which you have Spock's mom onboard the enterprise and his dad, and when he says in the episode "It was logical" .... so that episode doesn't exist anymore since his mom is no longer alive. The whole Voyager season doesn't exist since Tuvok was never born, and without Tuvok among the Makee they might not end up in the delta quadrant. That homicidal Vulcan on DS9 doesn't exist so.-..that episode doesn't exist anymore. Spock’s brother is probably dead so the whole movie in which they go to the center of the galaxy doesn't exist anymore,,,how is it not arrogant to destroy so many episodes of Trek. And don't tell me they still exist in some other universe since nobody's going to concentrate on that alternativity since we've got a brand new crew here. I think, and I'm sorry if I'll insult you with this, I think that many people have been blinded by the new great movie including yourself and are ready to forget what made ST great. And it's not the brand new ship, it's not the great effects on the screen, it's not any of the crap, it's the story line, it's the unity between so many aliens and all that crap, ah, why do I even bother.
Its not destroyed because its a parallel timeline. Very Star Trek.

This allows them to reboot as I said. And I don't see why losing the Vulcans means losing the federation (especially since there are still some Vulcans). It just means that the federation will look slightly different. This is a good thing because a simple re-boot would've been too predictable. this makes it more interesting. I certainly want to know more.