PDA

View Full Version : Pointless l'art pour l'art threads

Oxygene
04-15-2009, 06:31 AM
Guys,

I was wondering what you all thought about threads like song vs song and rate a song, and all those post counting pointless threads that are there for general amusement. I think they should be in their own section. I don't have a problem with them, but they take up space from real discussions, and it's fine that people want to do stuff like that, but I think it should be separated off of real human conversations.

What do you think?

KHWHD
04-15-2009, 07:46 AM
I don't mind them either. I've participated in the song vs. song (a lot when I first joined, hence my high post count) but yeah, it would be good if they (along with the others you said) were moved into their own section. Just means more work for the mods in moving them to the right section of the forum is all. That and if new people make new ones too.

Oxygene
04-15-2009, 07:57 AM
I don't mind them either. I've participated in the song vs. song (a lot when I first joined, hence my high post count) but yeah, it would be good if they (along with the others you said) were moved into their own section. Just means more work for the mods in moving them to the right section of the forum is all. That and if new people make new ones too.

There are only about 5-10 active threads like these.. i think it's 2 minutes of work

Blitzkrieg Bop
04-15-2009, 08:03 AM
I don't really see a problem with GOD because there are only 4 threads for this type of thing and they give members something to do, thereby keeping them out of trouble. However in GC every second thread basically tends to turn into a postcount thread. My suggestion for GC would be to either delete them, close them or merge them into the official postcount thread.

Oxygene
04-15-2009, 09:21 AM
I don't really see a problem with GOD because there are only 4 threads for this type of thing and they give members something to do, thereby keeping them out of trouble. However in GC every second thread basically tends to turn into a postcount thread. My suggestion for GC would be to either delete them, close them or merge them into the official postcount thread.

the reason it truly bothers me in GOD is because I think - and this could come off weird, but still - that on the Offsprings website, and the Offspring official forum there should be at least one section where everything is relevant Offspring discussions. I hate thinking there is something relevant going on and seeing that song vs song and name a song and rate a song and delete a song a sing a song are the only topics updated...

GC is general chat, that's a different world.. GOD is offspring discussion, should be kept on topic. We've just kind of grown into accepting these when in reality I think they don't really belong there.

Thomas
04-15-2009, 11:29 AM
I like you, Oxygene. I just wanted to tell you that.

Blitzkrieg Bop
04-15-2009, 12:02 PM
the reason it truly bothers me in GOD is because I think - and this could come off weird, but still - that on the Offsprings website, and the Offspring official forum there should be at least one section where everything is relevant Offspring discussions. I hate thinking there is something relevant going on and seeing that song vs song and name a song and rate a song and delete a song a sing a song are the only topics updated...

GC is general chat, that's a different world.. GOD is offspring discussion, should be kept on topic. We've just kind of grown into accepting these when in reality I think they don't really belong there.

Oxy, I am not disagreeing with your point of view, for I agree with you on most of it, however when you state you want to see whether there is something relevant going on and you see the song vs. song as the first thread, then the answer is obvious *there is nothing relevant going on*

As far as I am aware there is one set of rules to governing the whole BBS, so if your suggestion is to be applied to GOD, then it shoud also apply to GC and other sections for that matter.

Rutegard
04-15-2009, 12:35 PM
yeah well, sometimes we are just waiting for some news!

disclaimer_07
04-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Guys,

I was wondering what you all thought about threads like song vs song and rate a song, and all those post counting pointless threads that are there for general amusement. I think they should be in their own section. I don't have a problem with them, but they take up space from real discussions, and it's fine that people want to do stuff like that, but I think it should be separated off of real human conversations.

What do you think?

You mean something like this?

http://i40.tinypic.com/2usza6d.jpg

Oxygene
04-15-2009, 01:38 PM

disclaimer_07 for webmaster :)

Oxygene
04-15-2009, 01:42 PM
you state you want to see whether there is something relevant going on and you see the song vs. song as the first thread, then the answer is obvious *there is nothing relevant going on*

Yeah that might not be true, as from the main page you just see the most recently updated topic. If there was a topic where it would say "first 3 people to post here get to ride in a plane with Dexter" and then right as Dexter would hit send a second after that someone would "rate a song for ntheenth time" I might miss it.. I don't want to. Blah :p

As for different sets of rules, that's for the rule makers to sort out amongst themselves, I don't like post count threads in any irrelevant place, and that goes quadruple for GOD.

Outerspaceman21
04-15-2009, 01:58 PM

Thats awesome.

Frankly, I don't care.

Al Coholic
04-15-2009, 02:32 PM
I think they're entirely pointless, but I'm not incapable of clicking on page 2 to see the next few threads that would be on page one had they not been there. I wouldn't mind having an option of setting more threads per page.

I also would not like to see that kind of mindlessness encouraged, and have that kind of one-liner posting behavior spill over to other forums.

wheelchairman
04-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Frankly, I don't care.

This should read:

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

Outerspaceman21
04-15-2009, 03:28 PM
This should read:

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

After all... tomorrow is another day

Blitzkrieg Bop
04-16-2009, 12:34 PM
If there was a topic where it would say "first 3 people to post here get to ride in a plane with Dexter"

You have BIG dreams ... that is okay, so do I ;)

KHWHD
04-16-2009, 02:00 PM
"first 3 people to post here get to ride in a plane with Dexter"

At first when I read this I thought it said,

first 3 people to post here get to ride Dexter

Ooops, silly me. ;) :p :D

Oxygene
04-17-2009, 01:18 AM
At first when I read this I thought it said,

first 3 people to post here get to ride Dexter

Ooops, silly me. ;) :p :D

yeah you need to get some before you go all crazy :)

KHWHD
04-17-2009, 06:48 AM
yeah you need to get some before you go all crazy :)

What, you didn't think that was a little bit funny?

randman21
04-17-2009, 08:29 AM
What, you didn't think that was a little bit funny?
For the record, I thought it was hilarious.

KHWHD
04-17-2009, 08:33 AM
For the record, I thought it was hilarious.

Thanks Randy.. lol. Pervert. ;) :p

randman21
04-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks Randy.. lol. Pervert. ;) :p
Suuure, pass the buck to me. It was your wishful thinking that got us into this mess! :D

KHWHD
04-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Suuure, pass the buck to me. It was your wishful thinking that got us into this mess! :D

Sorrrrrrry................ I'm only human. Oops, I think I just let the cat out of the bag. ;) :p

Oxygene
04-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Sorrrrrrry................ I'm only human. Oops, I think I just let the cat out of the bag. ;) :p

what is the cat a euphemism for? :)

and yeah.. that was funny, I could've made it more insulting but didn't want to :D

KHWHD
04-17-2009, 10:34 AM
what is the cat a euphemism for? :)

and yeah.. that was funny, I could've made it more insulting but didn't want to :D

DO IT, DO IT!! :p

Al Coholic
04-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Ironic that a thread about removing topicless nonsense threads was derailed into...

IamSam
04-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Ironic that a thread about removing topicless nonsense threads was derailed into...

How dare you wittingly point out the obvious.

coke_a_holic
04-20-2009, 02:12 PM

It's funny because Shank wants to be railed by Dexter.

Little_Miss_1565
04-20-2009, 05:57 PM
*facepalm*

FML.

KHWHD
04-20-2009, 06:04 PM
It's funny because Shank wants to be railed by Dexter.

I seriously LOL'd at that. :D

IamSam
04-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Dexter + http://visual.merriam-webster.com/images/transport-machinery/rail-transport/railroad-track/rail-section.jpg

Oxygene
04-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Dexter + http://visual.merriam-webster.com/images/transport-machinery/rail-transport/railroad-track/rail-section.jpg

head?... oh my.

Seriously tho Sarah, is there any chance of moving those topics to another a section like over into GC or something?

Bipolar Bear
04-21-2009, 08:51 PM

I approve!

renato piquette
04-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Guys,

What do you think?

song vs song is one of the best threads,just because the 3000000000000000000 posts it has

Little_Miss_1565
04-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Seriously tho Sarah, is there any chance of moving those topics to another a section like over into GC or something?

Song vs Song is at least tangentially about the band, and it's not harming anyone other than being annoying to some. We considered outlawing these threads when the server had its last freakout in part due to the size of some supersized threads, but ultimately decided against it. Unfortunately I didn't think to write a rule against being annoying ;)

Al Coholic
04-22-2009, 01:00 AM
How dare you wittingly point out the obvious.

It was obvious I was pointing out the obvious, but why are you so pointlessly and obviously pointing out that I'm pointing out the obvious, when it was so obvious. That was my point, obviously.

Oxygene
04-22-2009, 01:44 AM
Song vs Song is at least tangentially about the band, and it's not harming anyone other than being annoying to some. We considered outlawing these threads when the server had its last freakout in part due to the size of some supersized threads, but ultimately decided against it. Unfortunately I didn't think to write a rule against being annoying ;)

Well anyway the votes so far suggest that less than 30% of the people approve of the threads as they are, and very few want to outlaw them, so maybe putting them elsewhere could be considered in the future.

Like I said, my main issue isn't with the threads themselves, I'd probably participate in them if I had enough free time, it's just that I don't think it's right that there isn't a section of the BBS is which is pure unadulturated relevent offspring discussion.. and seeing as how this is the Official Offspring BBS I think that's a shame.

That's all

Al Coholic
04-22-2009, 06:33 AM
I think they're entirely pointless, but I'm not incapable of clicking on page 2 to see the next few threads that would be on page one had they not been there. I wouldn't mind having an option of setting more threads per page.

I also would not like to see that kind of mindlessness encouraged, and have that kind of one-liner posting behavior spill over to other forums.

Thissssssssss

randman21
04-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Right. Not to mention the fact that the bbs isn't active enough that you would even have to go to page 2. And it tells you which threads have new posts, so it really shouldn't be a big problem.

renato piquette
04-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Lol,tons of you have said "bs"

IamSam
04-23-2009, 09:39 PM
It was obvious I was pointing out the obvious, but why are you so pointlessly and obviously pointing out that I'm pointing out the obvious, when it was so obvious. That was my point, obviously.

Obviously.

Al Coholic
04-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Hey fuck you man I agree.