PDA

View Full Version : Green Day's first single from the new album is out!

RageAndLov
04-16-2009, 11:34 AM
It is called Know Your Enemy and can be bought on iTunes. A physical single is coming in a few days with a B-side on it.

Go here to listen to the whole song:
www.greendayauthority.com

What do you guys think of it?

I think it's great! Reminds me when Hammerhead came out, and I listened to it on repeat for several hours.

Anka
04-16-2009, 12:04 PM
It's very good and interesting. I'm looking forward the whole album...

Joyce
04-16-2009, 12:23 PM
I've listened to it 2 times so far. it's cool.. but I don't want to get bored of it till the album isn't released.
i wanna listen to every song when the album is out :D

Outerspaceman21
04-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Well, that sucked.

jacknife737
04-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Pretty catchy. I'm always a sucker for a song that repeats a catchy hook (glares at Against Me!), and i quite like this. Nothing groundbreaking of course, but i'm really looking forwards to the the rest of the album.

Smash_Returns
04-16-2009, 12:43 PM
I thought it was good.

It's more like the earlier stuff than American Idiot was, which I find good (although its more like Nimrod/Warning era, rather than Dookie/Insomniac)

And by now, I've even gotten over my grudge against American Idiot, and can accept that it was a decent album (but the fucking new fans that it made were retards and can still go die in a fire).

jacknife737
04-16-2009, 12:49 PM
It's more like the earlier stuff than American Idiot was, which I find good (although its more like Nimrod/Warning era, rather than Dookie/Insomniac)

I feel the same way. Especially the live versions of some of the other songs from the album that have been recorded from the past couple club gigs.

SweetTatyana
04-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Well, that sucked.

yeah, that really didnt do it for me.

NGNM85
04-16-2009, 01:15 PM
They're last album sucked, I'm not very optimistic about this new one.
On a side note, this song sounds like a ripoff of Joan Jett's "Eye to Eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuHXMwsNnBI&feature=related

bouncingcoles
04-16-2009, 02:19 PM
ya so i wasnt very impressed with the song.

Outerspaceman21
04-16-2009, 02:30 PM
yeah, that really didnt do it for me.

I'm definately not getting the album. Green Day sucks now. They lost me after American Idiot.

randman21
04-16-2009, 02:55 PM
I was prepared to rip this song apart after I listened to it earlier, but I'm sorta glad I fell asleep before posting. After a second listen, it's just tolerable, or a bit better. This is nowhere near catchy enough for me, or as a Green Day single usually is. It sounds like filler to me. As per usual lately, I was bored by the end. They could have at least changed the key somewhere in there.

jacknife737
04-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Anybody have a decent quality rip?

hshduppsnt
04-16-2009, 03:35 PM
eh...

less than impressed... I actually liked some of the songs a lot off of american idiot... I'll give this album a chance... I'll probably like it enough to get it but...

this just sounds too fluffy to me... lyrics aren't that great, riff isn't anything to write home about...

coke_a_holic
04-16-2009, 03:49 PM
They're never going to outdo American Idiot. At least not soon.

Think about it: Dookie put them on the map in 1994, when they were at the forefront of the pop-punk scene. They really brought in that whole era, along with The Offspring, Rancid, and Blink-182.

Afterwards, they had virtually no huge success on that same level until American Idiot, literally ten years later, when they were, once again, at a forefront of a genre, with the whole pop-punk-emo scene along with bands like My Chemical Romance, Taking Back Sunday, etc.

That's not to compare American Idiot to MCR or TBS, but I mean, the similarities are there and they're quite prevalent. Unless Green Day can somehow manage to reinvent their sound (which, based off this song seems unlikely), I doubt they will be met with the same success as they were.

Yes, that means you people can still like this album, because it's not "selloutz." I think American Idiot is probably their best cd, though. But, in all fairness, I have never listened to Warning, which I've been told takes the parts I liked about American Idiot (comparably mature songwriting, strong hooks, comparably intricate songwriting) and removes the parts I don't like about it (melodrama, poor storytelling, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams).

So yeah, this cd, I have a feeling, will be lackluster, but the old fans will come running back to it because it will never sell as well as American Idiot did. Yes, I honestly believe the reason you guys don't like American Idiot is because it sold so well and was beloved by so many teenage girls. Go back and listen to it, it's significantly better than Dookie or Kerplunk! or especially 1039.

Free?
04-16-2009, 03:57 PM
And by now, I've even gotten over my grudge against American Idiot, and can accept that it was a decent album (but the fucking new fans that it made were retards and can still go die in a fire).

For me it's opposite. I never had any grudge against American Idiot. I thought the idea of making a semi-rock opera album was cool. But 21st Century Breakdown seems will have the same rock opera style as the main disappointment to me. It got boring with all those American Idiot years and Green Day keeping the same direction doesn't make my day :[.
As the first single I liked American Idiot much better than Know Your Enemy. I'm not too happy about it either.

It would be great if GD just left the Idiot-sound as a flashy success and kept going with something else. It doesn't shine as much as it did the first time.

randman21
04-16-2009, 03:58 PM
They're never going to outdo American Idiot. At least not soon.

Think about it: Dookie put them on the map in 1994, when they were at the forefront of the pop-punk scene. They really brought in that whole era, along with The Offspring, Rancid, and Blink-182.

Afterwards, they had virtually no huge success on that same level until American Idiot, literally ten years later, when they were, once again, at a forefront of a genre, with the whole pop-punk-emo scene along with bands like My Chemical Romance, Taking Back Sunday, etc.

That's not to compare American Idiot to MCR or TBS, but I mean, the similarities are there and they're quite prevalent. Unless Green Day can somehow manage to reinvent their sound (which, based off this song seems unlikely), I doubt they will be met with the same success as they were.

Yes, that means you people can still like this album, because it's not "selloutz." I think American Idiot is probably their best cd, though. But, in all fairness, I have never listened to Warning, which I've been told takes the parts I liked about American Idiot (comparably mature songwriting, strong hooks, comparably intricate songwriting) and removes the parts I don't like about it (melodrama, poor storytelling, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams).

So yeah, this cd, I have a feeling, will be lackluster, but the old fans will come running back to it because it will never sell as well as American Idiot did. Yes, I honestly believe the reason you guys don't like American Idiot is because it sold so well and was beloved by so many teenage girls. Go back and listen to it, it's significantly better than Dookie or Kerplunk! or especially 1039.
I agree with almost this entire post, except that I think Dookie is the only better album than American Idiot.

cool 2 hate 681
04-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Anybody have a decent quality rip?

here you go http://www.mediafire.com/?yn3nzmynjw1

jacknife737
04-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Damn, there you go again coke_a_holic, being all reasonable with well thought out posts and shit.

I pretty much agree with what you wrote; this album isn't going to have anywhere near amount of the success that American Idiot enjoyed. Although, admittedly I am a bit more optimistic regarding the quality of the album.

But yeah, if you're even a little bit still interested in the band, you should check out Warning. Their best work, imo.

Yes, I honestly believe the reason you guys don't like American Idiot is because it sold so well and was beloved by so many teenage girls. Go back and listen to it, it's significantly better than Dookie or Kerplunk! or especially 1039.

Quoted for relevancy and truth.

here you go http://www.mediafire.com/?yn3nzmynjw1

You sir, are an officer and a gentleman.

IamSam
04-16-2009, 08:25 PM
And the file is gone. Drat.

cool 2 hate 681
04-16-2009, 08:45 PM
And the file is gone. Drat.

i will upload it under my mediafire account

EDIT http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y1hnjamyg0y

IamSam
04-16-2009, 11:12 PM
i will upload it under my mediafire account

EDIT http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y1hnjamyg0y

You're always on top of the game! Thanks!

dexterone
04-17-2009, 03:30 AM
Green Day sucks.....they are still worst and worst......Holiday was their best song but nothing more....

ad8
04-17-2009, 04:24 AM
It's a pretty cool song, but the sound is pretty much the same like on American Idiot.

zsk
04-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Well, that sucked.

fuck green day!!!! fuck commercial music!!!
UP the Offsprings!!!

and actualy the song is boring!

coke_a_holic
04-17-2009, 10:49 AM
fuck commercial music!!! UP the Offsprings!!!

I lolled.

TakesMeNowhere28
04-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I love this song. Awesome beat to it. Can't wait to hear the whole album.

SuperKnux
04-17-2009, 11:34 AM
fuck commercial music!!! UP the Offsprings!!!

lulz!

Oh, to be young again.

randman21
04-17-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm sure he didn't mean it. :confused:

Outerspaceman21
04-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm sure he didn't mean it. :confused:

I have no idea whats going on.

Blitzkrieg Bop
04-17-2009, 12:25 PM
The song is okay but it didn't blow my socks off ... very American Idiot in style and I wasn't really impressed with the repetition of the lyrics

RonWelty
04-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Not bad, but very poppy. Hammerhead was what we can call a "PUNK ROCK SINGLE". The Offspring are punker than Green Day. No discussion.

Llamas
04-17-2009, 03:51 PM
I turned off the song after like 2 min. Sad day. I can't stand GD anymore. I think I'm just totally sick of them and everything about them. And this song is just... blah. So boring.

Omni
04-17-2009, 04:22 PM
To Coke: I don't really think there will be any 5x platinum albums anymore, with the way music has become.

About the song: It's standard Green Day, you know. I'm a pretty big Green Day fan, so I'm pretty excited about the new record. I'm waiting for whoever stole the masters to Cigarettes and Valentines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarettes_and_Valentines, in case anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about) to release the album somwhere.

dff_punk
04-17-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm waiting for whoever stole the masters to Cigarettes and Valentines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarettes_and_Valentines, in case anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about) to release the album somwhere.

Whoa, first time I hear of this! Pretty interesting.
The song is average, btw, not bad, but nothing mindblowing, I hope there will be better ones on the album.

Omni
04-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah. So Green Day actually has nine albums if you count that one, ten counting Shenanigans (it's a compilation, but it's songs not found on any other album, so it's a tenth album).

Then theres The Network. The Network is Green Day with a couple of other guys, and they have an album, and another one coming out. And Foxboro Hot Tubs is also Green Day, and they have an album. So if you're a big Green Day fan, there's 13 albums out there you need to hear.

randman21
04-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Then theres The Network. The Network is Green Day with a couple of other guys, and they have an album, and another one coming out.
Members of Devo, right?

jacknife737
04-17-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm somewhat surprised that non of the songs from "Cigarettes and Valentines" haven't made their way to the internet. I'm not completely sure that i buy the story that they were "stolen"; the band probably just thought they weren't very good.

Members of Devo, right?

Yup.

Also, apparently, the band has stated that the Network, "aren't finished yet", which is great since i loved Money Money 2020 a lot more then the Foxboro Hot Tubs record.

TakesMeNowhere28
04-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Yeah. So Green Day actually has nine albums if you count that one, ten counting Shenanigans (it's a compilation, but it's songs not found on any other album, so it's a tenth album).

Then theres The Network. The Network is Green Day with a couple of other guys, and they have an album, and another one coming out. And Foxboro Hot Tubs is also Green Day, and they have an album. So if you're a big Green Day fan, there's 13 albums out there you need to hear.

Shenanigans was such a horrible album. The only songs I thought were even decent on that album were "Tired Of Waiting For You" and "Suffocate" and those were not typical Green Day songs.

As long as we're talking about Green Day's alter-egos, can I bring up the group Pinhead Gunpowder? I know Tre and Mike were never a part of that group, but Billie Joe and Jason White are.

jacknife737
04-17-2009, 10:06 PM
^ I love Pinhead Gunpowder. The West Side Highway Ep they put out last year was great, and they're supposed to put out a best of this year, but i'm not sure if it's going to have any new stuff on it.

AP guy
04-17-2009, 10:36 PM
It is called Know Your Enemy and can be bought on iTunes.

or it can be downloaded for free

Tomasisko
04-18-2009, 03:18 AM
nothing special, I don't like this new song

RonWelty
04-18-2009, 03:51 AM
Little game: How many insomnias Dexter will have because of GD's new album?

Free?
04-18-2009, 04:00 AM
None. Why should he?

RonWelty
04-18-2009, 04:24 AM
None. Why should he?

Do you know what two words sentence you can't say to him?
"AMerican Idiot".

And i Bet over the next tour interviews he will have to listen too much questions about GDs new album, which will gonna sell more than RAFRAG.

Free?
04-18-2009, 05:05 AM
Do you know what two words sentence you can't say to him?
"AMerican Idiot".

You put it like Dexter is some sort of Kristy, like American Idiot is a huge trauma to him. I don't think so, he's old and wise enough not to be that butthurt.

And i Bet over the next tour interviews he will have to listen too much questions about GDs new album, which will gonna sell more than RAFRAG.

I highly doubt that. I don't think that he'll be asked about GD very frequently and it would be a total lack of manners to put questions like that.

dff_punk
04-18-2009, 05:37 AM
Here is the b-side of the single, called "Lights Out".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFmIA7l6Mho

A classic Green Day song.

RonWelty
04-18-2009, 05:48 AM
You put it like Dexter is some sort of Kristy, like American Idiot is a huge trauma to him. I don't think so, he's old and wise enough not to be that butthurt.

I highly doubt that. I don't think that he'll be asked about GD very frequently and it would be a total lack of manners to put questions like that.

You'll see boy!

That Lights Out sucks real big. The first single is better

TakesMeNowhere28
04-18-2009, 07:40 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Green Day and The Offspring have mutual respect for each other. Afterall, they're both California punk bands.

dff_punk
04-18-2009, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Green Day and The Offspring have mutual respect for each other. Afterall, they're both California punk bands.

Agreed. Let's not create wars where they don't exist.

Free?
04-18-2009, 08:18 AM
I like Lights Out so much better than KYE!

Blitzkrieg Bop
04-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Here is the b-side of the single, called "Lights Out".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFmIA7l6Mho

A classic Green Day song.

I quote this ... much better than Know Your Enemy

Stylie
04-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Heh, I actually liked this song a bit. Never cared to much about Green Day, but this was pretty cool. Nice drumming and guitar.

Stylie
04-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Isn't it catchy?
I think I got this song on my head now, hah. ;o

http://www.dump.no/files/76d8a74e1b12/DYKYE.wav

RonWelty
04-18-2009, 11:36 AM

Even during 1994-1995 they had a "silence fight" doing covers of each other songs on their concerts... Do you think they did it because they want to show love and consideration? lol.

RonWelty
04-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Isn't it catchy?
I think I got this song on my head now, hah. ;o

http://www.dump.no/files/76d8a74e1b12/DYKYE.wav

yes it is. Very catchy song. But real soon it will become boring.

Stylie
04-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Even during 1994-1995 they had a "silence fight" doing covers of each other songs on their concerts... Do you think they did it because they want to show love and consideration? lol.

Green Day did some Offspring songs? I think I've never seen that before, just The Offspring doing Green Day songs... do you have some videos? :D

And yeah, the song may become boring after a while. But I like it pretty good now!

RonWelty
04-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Green Day did some Offspring songs? I think I've never seen that before, just The Offspring doing Green Day songs... do you have some videos? :D

And yeah, the song may become boring after a while. But I like it pretty good now!

I don't have videos, i read it somewhere. I think GD didn't like Offspring to play 30" of Basket Case.

SuperKnux
04-18-2009, 11:49 AM

Free? is totally right on this. RonWelty, this whole "Offspring VS Green Day" thing is dead now. It has been for years. It isn't the 90's anymore.

You should stop perpetuating a long lost war amongst the bands/fans, man.

RonWelty
04-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Free? is totally right on this. RonWelty, this whole "Offspring VS Green Day" thing is dead now. It has been for years. It isn't the 90's anymore.

You should stop perpetuating a long lost war amongst the bands/fans, man.

I don't want to start nothing. This is the true. They compete in the same market. See Apple and Microsoft. OR Norton and Panda. Or Playstation and Xbox. It's natural.

It's not like Dexter wants Armstrong dead. He only dreams with a chronic throat infection.

dff_punk
04-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Dude, it's not worth it.

RonWelty
04-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Dude, it's not worth it.

yes you maybe are correct.

IamSam
04-18-2009, 02:50 PM
The B side was much better than the actual single.

RageAndLov
04-19-2009, 03:16 PM
About the song: It's standard Green Day, you know. I'm a pretty big Green Day fan, so I'm pretty excited about the new record. I'm waiting for whoever stole the masters to Cigarettes and Valentines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarettes_and_Valentines, in case anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about) to release the album somwhere.

It is speculated that they released that album. Just under another band name and album title. The Network - Money Money 2020. Apperantly they did that to keep thier names secret so no one would understand it was them all the time (which was the most epic fail ever).

RageAndLov
04-19-2009, 03:18 PM
^ I love Pinhead Gunpowder. The West Side Highway Ep they put out last year was great, and they're supposed to put out a best of this year, but i'm not sure if it's going to have any new stuff on it.

That EP was great yeah!
A greatest hits album is coming yes, and all their albums are being re-released on both vinyl and CD.

RageAndLov
04-19-2009, 03:25 PM
To all of you that say this album won't sell as much as American Idiot; I don't think anyone in 2004 thought that American Idiot would be as successful as Dookie. But look, it happened. And with all those new AI fans, many records are going to be sold.

And as many other said, the single sounds very much like Nimrod, and I think rest of the album will too. 21st Century Breakdown and Nimrod even have the same amount of tracks! I haven't heard any other songs though, cuz I wanna wait till I get the record in my hands before listening to it.

randman21
04-19-2009, 05:08 PM
It is speculated that they released that album. Just under another band name and album title. The Network - Money Money 2020. Apperantly they did that to keep thier names secret so no one would understand it was them all the time (which was the most epic fail ever).
I doubt that. I remember hearing something somewhere coming back onstage after the Green Day set is done, as the Network. Or something. Therefore, it probably wasn't meant to be a secret.

TakesMeNowhere28
04-19-2009, 09:18 PM
I don't like the B-side of "Know Your Enemy". It sounds like old school Green Day, but I don't think the song is catchy at all like "Know Your Enemy" is.

RageAndLov
04-20-2009, 02:08 AM
I doubt that. I remember hearing something somewhere coming back onstage after the Green Day set is done, as the Network. Or something. Therefore, it probably wasn't meant to be a secret.

That happened after they revealed The Networks true identity.