PDA

View Full Version : Did Family Guy Lie to me?

Cbonham5
04-22-2009, 12:01 PM
okay, so family guy said the other day that the only reason pot was illegal was because of a smear campaign against hemp by the timber industry? If that's true....WTF!!! my personal opinion is that pot is no worse for you that alchohol, the favorite beverage of the Republican party, and as such deserves to be legalized. A friend made a good point a while ago, the current struggle in Mexico is because of Pot, so if it was legal, would that not at least dent the issue?

IamSam
04-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Do you get all your news from Family Guy?

RickyCrack
04-22-2009, 02:11 PM
did family guy lie to me about dogs talking?

Omni
04-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Did the Dr. Doolittle trilogy teach you nothing?

Outerspaceman21
04-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Sad this is the only output for new in the young community. Of course, I shouldn't talk because I watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

Thomas
04-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Did the Dr. Doolittle trilogy teach you nothing?

Jesus Christ, they made a THIRD movie?

Llamas
04-22-2009, 04:55 PM
did family guy lie to me about dogs talking?

What about babies that talk with accents and try to take over the world, starting by killing their moms?? DON'T TELL ME THAT'S NOT REAL.

Al Coholic
04-22-2009, 05:04 PM
okay, so family guy said the other day that the only reason pot was illegal was because of a smear campaign against hemp by the timber industry? If that's true....WTF!!! my personal opinion is that pot is no worse for you that alchohol, the favorite beverage of the Republican party, and as such deserves to be legalized. A friend made a good point a while ago, the current struggle in Mexico is because of Pot, so if it was legal, would that not at least dent the issue?

The current situation in Mexico is not because of pot. There's poverty, destabalized government, and much harder(and better http://www.offspring.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif) drugs than pot with a lot bigger influence.

That said, during the 30's or something marijuana was largely unknown to the public. The marijuana culture we have today was non-existent. And (according to the historical reference I've seen) it was not a very prevelant drug. Yes, the timber industry had the influence to help illegalize pot, but there were many other factors. Hemp has its uses, but timber does as well. Some overlap and some don't. The concept that hemp is just fucktastically great and could outpace the timber sounds retarded. Market influences are pretty strong, and if hemp could produce refuckingdiculous amount of paper or whatever they'd be growing it. I believe they've even genetically engineered a type of cannibus that doesn't get one high for the purposes of hemp growing(though my research into this is very vague)

Yes, there was a propaghanda campaign launched against marijuana. I'm sure you've heard of reefer madness, the go-to reference for those movies in that era. Sure, it helped out. While there were many factors that built into it ultimately its pretty damn easy to illegalize anything that's mind altering, disobering, whatever you'd like to call it. Family Guy is just a cartoon show. Cannibus was largely unknown to mainstream America for quite a while. You gotta think, this was the society that had not long ago classified morphine, heroin, and cocaine as drugs and banned them(previously you could buy them at any local drug store - heh, heh, get it????? DRUG STORE?????!!!!!) With its small explosion in popularity and growing operations, at some point somebody was going to bring the hammer down.

Though the Timber industry's influence was a factor, it was one of many. The reason why marijuana IS illegal, and not became illegal, is what you ought to be focusing on. Surely we know better than to believe the propaghanda from over a half century ago. In my eyes, the problem is that while the socio-economic benefits can be pretty soundly argued, there's a big, big gap between the organization of the grassroots movement for legalization, and the people who actually make that argument. The lack of funding/influence could possibly be overcome by better organization, IMO. Oversimplified, picture a few lobbyist suits making good arguments, and facepalming when masses of stoners make protests purely to propagate their use of marijuana, and its culture.

wheelchairman
04-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Not to mention the prohibition wasn't too far away either. This was a society heavily concerned with morality and the morality of your neighbor.

renato piquette
04-22-2009, 06:27 PM

if pot was legal in mexico,then it would be giving away power to drug dealers and we would have drug dealers as governors and stuff,though,marihuana is not the biggest problem,it is cocaine wich is sold the most here

Omni
04-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Jesus Christ, they made a THIRD movie?

I didn't watch the third one since it lacked the single redeeming quality of the first two. I am of course talking about Norm MacDonald.

Al Coholic
04-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Norm's fuckin great man. Wonder what he's been doing.

Outerspaceman21
04-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Norm is working on a program for the FX network called "The Norm Macdonald Reality Show," in which he plays a fictional, down-on-his-luck version of himself

http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/article-5845-norm-macdonald-talks-stand-up-teases-fx-reality-show.html

chicapowerpunk
04-23-2009, 04:23 PM
if pot was legal in mexico,then it would be giving away power to drug dealers and we would have drug dealers as governors and stuff,though,marihuana is not the biggest problem,it is cocaine wich is sold the most here

I think that marihuana and other drugs will continue to be distributed until legalize the drugs...............;)

Omni
04-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Norm is working on a program for the FX network called "The Norm Macdonald Reality Show," in which he plays a fictional, down-on-his-luck version of himself

http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/article-5845-norm-macdonald-talks-stand-up-teases-fx-reality-show.html

That's pretty much him all the time. It must suck to get kicked off SNL for being a badass, and then having NBC refuse to support your new movie (Dirty Work) which happens to be one of the funniest movies ever. He's so underexposed it's sickening.

Thomas
04-23-2009, 09:03 PM
I remember Norm's last tv show was godawful, though...

renato piquette
04-23-2009, 09:07 PM
The current situation in Mexico is not because of pot. There's poverty, destabalized government, and much harder(and better http://www.offspring.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif) drugs than pot with a lot bigger influence.

yes,we got corrupt leaders,poverty and pure cocaine

Al Coholic
04-23-2009, 10:43 PM
And I thought we had it bad with interest groups, recession, and expensive cocaine.

renato piquette
04-25-2009, 08:21 AM
we are also invaded by that twating reggaeton

Al Coholic
04-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah we get that too. As with all bad music with a catchy beat, atleast it gets the ladies going.

renato piquette
04-26-2009, 09:07 PM
there are better ways to get chicks going,airīs album "talkie walkie" and princeīs "new power soul" are my favourite choices for a kinky night

Al Coholic
05-03-2009, 01:37 PM
I meant on the dancefloor. I wouldn't have sex to reggaeton, I have some dignity.

dff_punk
05-03-2009, 03:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCIVklv7vcw

RexDarr
05-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Not to be rude but I think that Family Guy is the stupidest show out there.

If you want to watch a show where there are constant flash-backs that have nothing to do with the story-line, then Family Guy is for you.

If you want to watch a show that actually follows a story-line, start watching other shows.

Family Guy plays off the same crappy jokes week in and week out. At least 70% of each episode is just random crap about random things.
If you want to know what I'm talking about watch the South Park episode about Family Guy. It pretty much sumarizes what I am stating right now.

I just believe that there are better shows on television that are both more entertaining and more educational than Family Guy.

[btw, I'm not pro-South Park, I'm just using it as an example]

Outerspaceman21
05-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Who cares? It's just a show. Jesus.

dff_punk
05-05-2009, 02:49 AM
more educational than Family Guy.

Wow, there is something wrong...

gnich
05-05-2009, 02:30 PM
So this is in response to this quote from above... "if pot was legal in mexico,then it would be giving away power to drug dealers and we would have drug dealers as governors"

If you can please explain to me your thought process on how making something legal would help those who are selling it illegally? this is one of the best arguments for the legalization of any drug. The government would grant licenses to legitimate businesses and then tax the hell out of it, thus, taking the money out of the hands of criminals and inserting it into the economy. who is talking about mexico anyway? but while we are on the subject, the legality of drugs in mexico has absolutely nothing to do with the profits their cartels make. all their drugs, or at least most of them, are coming into the US. Now if the US legalized drugs the cartels in mexico would simply be out of a job because nobody in their right mind is going to buy a bag off of some shady mexican when pfizer has got a steller, well packaged, bag waiting for you down at safeway. and wait? isn't it 10 percent off of quaps for mothers day?!?! a boy can dream.... but anyway I think that i must be replying to a child but i suppose this is a good chance to demonstrate how things are never as straight forward as they seem... especially not THAT straight forward. the brain mouth filter, i think they have them at wallmart.

renato piquette
05-05-2009, 10:32 PM
So this is in response to this quote from above... "if pot was legal in mexico,then it would be giving away power to drug dealers and we would have drug dealers as governors"

If you can please explain to me your thought process on how making something legal would help those who are selling it illegally? this is one of the best arguments for the legalization of any drug. The government would grant licenses to legitimate businesses and then tax the hell out of it, thus, taking the money out of the hands of criminals and inserting it into the economy. who is talking about mexico anyway? but while we are on the subject, the legality of drugs in mexico has absolutely nothing to do with the profits their cartels make. all their drugs, or at least most of them, are coming into the US. Now if the US legalized drugs the cartels in mexico would simply be out of a job because nobody in their right mind is going to buy a bag off of some shady mexican when pfizer has got a steller, well packaged, bag waiting for you down at safeway. and wait? isn't it 10 percent off of quaps for mothers day?!?! a boy can dream.... but anyway I think that i must be replying to a child but i suppose this is a good chance to demonstrate how things are never as straight forward as they seem... especially not THAT straight forward. the brain mouth filter, i think they have them at wallmart.

so....would you do a girl while listening to reggaeton?

NGNM85
05-06-2009, 01:24 AM

::sighs:: Again, it is my responsibility to weigh in. This was actually the subject of my Drugs & Society Final. (A-, incidentally.) First it should be mentioned that the cultivation of Cannabis precedes the date ascribed to the crucifixion by about 500 years. (Theres' a discrepancy between different books and, from historical evidence, it's quite probable "Jesus" never actually existed.) Both Jefferson and Washington grew it, although for practical, rather than psychotropic uses. It first appeared in American law in 1619 when the Virginia Assembly required everyone to grow it. In Maryland, Pennsylvania, and some other places it was actually used as currency. Hemp is an extremely versitile material and was very important in making important necessities like rope, clothes, boatsails and such. Psychotropic use was rare at this time. Cannabis wasn't demonized until around 1910 after the Mexican revolution, when Mexicans fled into Texas (which used to be Mexico.) and the South, bringing a preferred intoxicant. Racism was an epidemic at the time, especially in the south, so people started spreading rumors that pot made Mexicans violent, and lust after white women. In 1914 in El Paso, Texas, the first prohibition of Marijuana was passed, and over the next decade or so the rest of the country followed suit, most of the politicians had virtually no idea what the effects of pot actually were or had ever seen it used that way. Then along came a vulgar and ambitious little man named Harry J. Anslinger. Anslinger, like Joe McCarthy after him grasped an idea that was old at the salem Witch Trials, that fear could be a powerful advantage. He published articles and gave speeches painting Marijuana as the bane of western civilization, that it caused violence, rape, homosexuality, satanism, (And later, communism.) etc. He also stoked peoples' racism (In 1920 the Klan was at it's peak with perhaps 4 million members.) as pot had become popular in the burgeoning jazz scene. He also was one of the first to propose the "gateway drug" theory. Interestingly, at this time there was a major deal going on between two major financial dynasties, DuPont Chemicals and Hearst publishing. At the time paper was printed using mechanical pulping, expensive and inefficient. hemp was possibly poised to become a breakthrough industry as it grows faster, and would be cheaper, etc. Popular Mechanics did some articles on this. DuPont had just created chemical pulping, industrial hemp might have lost them substantial cash, this is bolstered by the fact that Hearst put out all of Anslingers' propaganda. Anslinger became the nations' first "drug czar" and remained so until the early 60's. There have been several well-published studies of Marijuana. Most notably the LaGuardia commission set up by former NY mayor (They named the airport after him.) which found no logical or medical reason for pot to be illegal, to no avail. The Nixon commission in 1972, found the same thing, which really pissed Nixon off. (Privately, he blamed "the Jews.") Theres' a very recent study in '03(I think?) by the American Thoracic Society of over 2,000 subjects that found "no definitive link between marijuana use, frequency of marijuana use, and head, throat, lung, or neck cancers." With no lethal dose (LD) Marijuana is one of the most benign drugs in the pharmacopia, and proven to be less harmful and dangerous than alcohol, cigarettes, or most McDonalds' food. So,....in a nutshell,...pot's illegal because of racism and political opportunism.

wheelchairman
05-06-2009, 06:10 AM
What the fuck is wrong with you?

Would YOU read that?

Omni
05-06-2009, 06:16 AM
::sighs:: Again, it is my responsibility to weigh in. This was actually the subject of my Drugs & Society Final. (A-, incidentally.)

I'm guessing thats higher than any grade you ever got on an English essay.

Al Coholic
05-06-2009, 06:48 AM

If you want to watch a show where there are constant flash-backs that have nothing to do with the story-line, then Family Guy is for you.

If you want to watch a show that actually follows a story-line, start watching other shows.

Family Guy plays off the same crappy jokes week in and week out. At least 70% of each episode is just random crap about random things.
If you want to know what I'm talking about watch the South Park episode about Family Guy. It pretty much sumarizes what I am stating right now.

I just believe that there are better shows on television that are both more entertaining and more educational than Family Guy.

You know what's worse than Family Guy to me? People with opinions about Family Guy. Oooohhhooohh the jokes aren't derived from the plot woooaaahhhh.... it gets old hearing it. And many of these people try to claim intellectual reasons, and get really up their own ass about not liking family guy. Right up there, just rubbing their head around their colon and loving it. But these same intellectuals who are too snobby to like Family Guy, often loooooove The Simpsons. I know there's a difference but you can't objectively feel so oppositely about 2 similar shows.

And Rex Darr, I'm not saying your one of these people necessarily.

Neither am I saying you're not one of them.

renato piquette
05-06-2009, 07:37 AM

yeah,family guy is stupid,but south park is much worse and is not so "educational" either,vivan beavis & butthead!!!!

RageAndLov
05-06-2009, 10:48 AM
I find South Park to be the best mature animated show. It is funny and more original than other shows, even though the five first seasons were ther best.

NGNM85
05-06-2009, 06:58 PM
What the fuck is wrong with you?

Would YOU read that?

If I didn't write it, yes, absolutely. Complex ideas simply can't be expressed in a soundbite. this is one of the reasons why America's political discourse is so fucked up, and dumbed-down. I just thought maybe somebody, especially the thread initiator,...would actually like an ANSWER to they're question. Also, it's an important political and moral issue as billions of tax dollars are spent and thousands of Americans are penalized for one of the most harmless substances on earth. Anybody who wants to get involved or find out more can go to the NORML website (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws) they are the largest lobbyist/activist group on this issue, there are chapters in all major American cities.
http://norml.org/

NGNM85
05-06-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm guessing thats higher than any grade you ever got on an English essay.

You have no point. The grammar, spelling, and punctuation on most of these posts is poor at best, I'm way above the curve. If I was submitting a paper for review of course I'd clean it up, but I see no reason for such formality. If you have a legitimate criticism, fine, but this is just bullshit.

Omni
05-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Okay, if you honestly can't see the problem with what you wrote within the first second of looking, then you're completely beyond all help.

wheelchairman
05-07-2009, 06:56 AM
If I didn't write it, yes, absolutely. Complex ideas simply can't be expressed in a soundbite. this is one of the reasons why America's political discourse is so fucked up, and dumbed-down. I just thought maybe somebody, especially the thread initiator,...would actually like an ANSWER to they're question. Also, it's an important political and moral issue as billions of tax dollars are spent and thousands of Americans are penalized for one of the most harmless substances on earth. Anybody who wants to get involved or find out more can go to the NORML website (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws) they are the largest lobbyist/activist group on this issue, there are chapters in all major American cities.
http://norml.org/

You ever notice before that books have paragraphs?

NGNM85
05-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Okay, if you honestly can't see the problem with what you wrote within the first second of looking, then you're completely beyond all help.

Don't be such a drama queen. Again, you still have no point. I haven't taken a census but from a casual perusal many posts don't utilize punctuation AT ALL. Thats' to say nohing about spelling and grammar which, again, leave a LOT to be desired. If you're really preoccupied with this you've got a lot of work cut out for you, and I should be the least of you're concerns. Again, if you have anything meaningful to say...

Omni
05-07-2009, 09:29 AM
NGNM85, assuming that you're not a troll, your blissful ignorance is really charming.

NGNM85
05-07-2009, 09:37 PM
NGNM85, assuming that you're not a troll, your blissful ignorance is really charming.

As I understand it a "troll" as you say, is someone who just winds people up for no reason, and is disinclined to engage in any kind of reasoned discussion. I was posting on a legitimate, important political issue that matters to me. I went to rallies, I filled out petitions, and I eventually had the pleasure of voting for the measure that decriminalized cannabis in Massachusetts. It should just be legalized, but it's the next best thing. If you challenge my interpretation of history I'd be interested, but I've done the research and I can cite sources, it's pretty rock solid. Until then, I await the day you actually have something intelligent to contribute.

Omni
05-08-2009, 06:14 AM
I've read quite a few of your posts, and every one of them is absolutely saturated with intellectual snobbery and superfluousness. You make it a point to tell everyone how well-read you are, and yet you somehow don't seem to understand that when you type a wall of text big enough to fill an entire 8x11 sheet of paper, and leave every bit of it in a single paragraph, that people just won't read it. Paragraphs exist for a reason, and you obviously spent quite some time researching and explaining your views (a good thing, actually). There's probably an entire one person (if you're lucky) who read that, so there was really no point in even typing it.

I don't know why you'd think this was a complaint about marginal typing or grammatical errors, the real problem is obvious.

NGNM85
05-13-2009, 12:12 AM
I've read quite a few of your posts,

Always a good idea....

and every one of them is absolutely saturated with intellectual snobbery and superfluousness.

You're making me blush.

You make it a point to tell everyone how well-read you are, and yet you somehow don't seem to understand that when you type a wall of text big enough to fill an entire 8x11 sheet of paper, and leave every bit of it in a single paragraph, that people just won't read it. Paragraphs exist for a reason, and you obviously spent quite some time researching and explaining your views (a good thing, actually).

Absolutely.

There's probably an entire one person (if you're lucky) who read that, so there was really no point in even typing it.

I know for sure at least one person read it. :D

I don't know why you'd think this was a complaint about marginal typing or grammatical errors, the real problem is obvious.

Au Contraire. It never occurred to me that someone would be intimidated by perhaps half a page of text. I didn't include paragraph breaks because, first off, this isn't an actual essay just a forum post, and second because it wasn't really organized into proper paragraphs to divide. It was more of a conversational style. What can I say? I am verbose. But, seriously, if somebody's incapable of tackling such a small block of text I don't see how they could possibly read anything substantial. If I was going to include breaks if anything I would've made it longer. It didn't occur to me because I think it's a bogus reason for the intellectually lazy, or bereft. I don't think it was you're intention, but this post has moved you up several notches in my opinion of you.

Llamas
05-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Copied into word, that post was almost 600 words. That's about two pages double spaced in times new roman. If anyone tried to submit that to anyone in real life, nobody would ever read it. What would make someone more likely to read it just because it's on a forum? I'm actually MORE inclined to read a huge block of text that is from the academic community than from some random user on the bbs.

As has been said a few times now, paragraphs exist for a reason.

wheelchairman
05-14-2009, 02:20 AM
Paragraphs are a courtesy to the other posters. I don't know much about NMGMf87 so I don't really care at the moment what you have to say. So why would I take the time to read a page long rant that's not even paragraphed when I could do a number of other things that would be more enjoyable?

NGNM85
05-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Paragraphs are a courtesy to the other posters.

Apparently spelling, grammar and most forms of punctuation, then, are NOT a courtesy to other posters? half these people can hardly spell, what difference does a blank space or an indented line make? I'm not submitting this for a grade. I just don't see the significance.

I don't know much about NMGMf87

I think you know it's "85."

so I don't really care at the moment what you have to say. So why would I take the time to read a page long rant that's not even paragraphed when I could do a number of other things that would be more enjoyable?

Well, that depends on if you wanted an answer to the question at hand. I'm sorry that reading is such an exhausting task, really. If you had a question relating to my historical information, or a different interpretation, that would be interesting. If you're just whining because half a page of text requires too much energy to digest, my heart bleeds for you, condolances.

Llamas
05-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Apparently spelling, grammar and most forms of punctuation, then, are NOT a courtesy to other posters? half these people can hardly spell, what difference does a blank space or an indented line make? I'm not submitting this for a grade. I just don't see the significance.

Reading the posts of people who write a lot of text without using decent spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc is EQUALLY obnoxious as what you did. I don't read such posts, either.

IamSam
05-14-2009, 04:08 PM
You have no argument. Those that can't type on here and have horrible punctuation/grammar/etc. don't use English as a first language or are quite young. So you're argument is baseless as it claims that these individuals should also follow all English grammar rules when they don't know them. You should follow them...that is...unless Boston isn't an English speaking/Western World entity anymore.

wheelchairman
05-15-2009, 01:47 AM
Okay NMNM don't paragraph. I'm sorry it would be so hard for you to add a couple of spaces. Good luck writing very long blocks of text with as little potential readers as possible, because that makes a lot of sense.

Al Coholic
05-15-2009, 06:35 AM
He sure showed you.

I find South Park to be the best mature animated show. It is funny and more original than other shows, even though the five first seasons were ther best.
Ok why? I understand most people think the old shit is better than the new when it comes to music, but c'mon. This has got to be the standard opinion on everything from you punk rockers - the older, shittier stuff is somehow better.

The show's best seasons? To me it has been the last five, even though there have been great episodes throughout. In the more recent years they've dealt with current events while they were still current, and in often semi-clever ways where they could be metaphorical or imply their point. They've had the balls to parady just about everything - in its actual name too. The first few seasons were shitty animation, hardly any current events/real issues, and mostly stayed on the air because of the (then) novelty of animated children cursing.

Llamas
05-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Personally, I only liked the first three seasons. I think it's because when it came back, they didn't have a lot of new ideas anymore and started to recycle old ones, or just try to be as offensive as possible. The episodes have become more random and less plot oriented, and the humor has just gone downhill. I couldn't care less about the fact that the seasons I like came first, or were early, or whatever. But when I watch a random episode, I can clearly distinguish about when it came from based on how much I laugh. The newest stuff I sit all the way through without laughing sometimes.

Oh man, another Family Guy discussion...

NGNM85
05-15-2009, 12:59 PM
You have no argument. Those that can't type on here and have horrible punctuation/grammar/etc. don't use English as a first language or are quite young. [/quite]

Bullshit. True in some cases, yes, Metalmania, for example, but there are PLENTY of posters who are old enough to know better.

[QUOTE=IamSam;1303186]You should follow them...that is...unless Boston isn't an English speaking/Western World entity anymore.

Again,...... I didn't intend to send it in for peer review, I just thought I'd actually answer the question since nobody else seemed capable or interested. It's a very minor issue. A mountain out of a molehill.

NGNM85
05-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Okay NMNM don't paragraph.

Really, do you have to be so petty?

I'm sorry it would be so hard for you to add a couple of spaces.

I'm very sorry for you that reading is so painful.

Good luck writing very long blocks of text with as little potential readers as possible, because that makes a lot of sense.

Well, it depends if anybody actually wants the answer to the question. I find it equally illogical that four spaces really make that big of a difference for you. I'm going to repost it edited to show how asinine this really is. Note, I had to ADD more text in order to make sufficient paragraphs. I can't take credit for the intellectual decline of this country. I will also say again that complex ideas CAN'T be justifiably expressed in a soundbite, it doesn't work that way.

NGNM85
05-15-2009, 01:08 PM
"As per usual, it is my responsibility to weigh in. This was actually the subject of my Drugs & Society Final. (A-, incidentally.) First it should be mentioned that the cultivation of Cannabis precedes the date ascribed to the crucifixion by about 500 years. (Theres' a discrepancy between different books and, from historical evidence, it's quite probable "Jesus" never actually existed.) Both Jefferson and Washington grew it, although for practical, rather than psychotropic uses.

Cannabis first appeared in American law in 1619 when the Virginia Assembly required everyone to grow it. In Maryland, Pennsylvania, and some other places it was actually used as currency. Hemp is an extremely versitile material and was very important in making important necessities like rope, clothes, boatsails and such. Psychotropic use was rare at this time. Cannabis wasn't demonized until around 1910 after the Mexican revolution, when Mexicans fled into Texas (which used to be Mexico.) and the South, bringing a preferred intoxicant. Racism was an epidemic at the time, especially in the south, so people started spreading rumors that pot made Mexicans violent, and lust after white women. In 1914 in El Paso, Texas, the first prohibition of Marijuana was passed, and over the next decade or so the rest of the country followed suit, most of the politicians had virtually no idea what the effects of pot actually were or had ever seen it used that way.

At this point in the story I must introduce a vulgar and ambitious little man named Harry J. Anslinger. Anslinger, like Joe McCarthy after him grasped an idea that was old at the salem Witch Trials, that fear could be a powerful advantage. He published articles and gave speeches painting Marijuana as the bane of western civilization, that it caused violence, rape, homosexuality, satanism, (And later, communism.) etc. He also stoked peoples' racism (In 1920 the Klan was at it's peak with perhaps 4 million members.) as pot had become popular in the burgeoning jazz scene. He also was one of the first to propose the "gateway drug" theory. Interestingly, at this time there was a major deal going on between two major financial dynasties, DuPont Chemicals and Hearst publishing. At the time paper was printed using mechanical pulping, expensive and inefficient. hemp was possibly poised to become a breakthrough industry as it grows faster, and would be cheaper, etc. Popular Mechanics did some articles on this. DuPont had just created chemical pulping, industrial hemp might have lost them substantial cash, this is bolstered by the fact that Hearst put out all of Anslingers' propaganda. Anslinger became the nations' first "drug czar" and remained so until the early 60's.

There have been several well-published studies of Marijuana. Most notably the LaGuardia commission set up by former NY mayor (They named the airport after him.) which found no logical or medical reason for pot to be illegal, to no avail. The Nixon commission in 1972, found the same thing, which really pissed Nixon off. (Privately, he blamed "the Jews.") Theres' a very recent study in '03(I think?) by the American Thoracic Society of over 2,000 subjects that found "no definitive link between marijuana use, frequency of marijuana use, and head, throat, lung, or neck cancers." With no lethal dose (LD) Marijuana is one of the most benign drugs in the pharmacopia, and proven to be less harmful and dangerous than alcohol, cigarettes, or most McDonalds' food. So,....in a nutshell,...pot's illegal because of racism and political opportunism."

Is that SO much better? HONESTLY?

renato piquette
05-15-2009, 01:13 PM
nevermind,dude,most people who post here are a bunch of stupid snobs who claim to be smart so just let them be and donīt make a big effort posting here

Omni
05-15-2009, 01:29 PM
I think we should all set aside our difference and talk about how ATHF is superior to all of the other shows mentioned in this topic. I have anarchistcookbook.com at the ready to concoct something dastardly for those who disagree.

Llamas
05-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I think this argument has gone way overboard, but this is just SO stupid:

I'm very sorry for you that reading is so painful

Reading is painful? No. Nobody said that anywhere. Nobody complained that your text was too long, too hard, etc. Here, read this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=pVzo0kvb42wC&pg=PA93&lpg=PA93&dq=why+paragraph&source=bl&ots=fZtQeREB0G&sig=yFZvivouh16e4Vt9cOimVD1L_P8&hl=en&ei=Md8NSoWME4WgM5jqtLMG&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#PPA93,M1

I think we should all set aside our difference and talk about how ATHF is superior to all of the other shows mentioned in this topic. I have anarchistcookbook.com at the ready to concoct something dastardly for those who disagree.
ATHF was so good for the first three seasons. Season 4 was okay, 5 sucked, and then I just stopped watching. Like Family Guy, they ran out of ideas and started trying to be more random and more offensive. That's the pattern, and it's boring and lame. But the first three seasons are great!

Al Coholic
05-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Personally, I only liked the first three seasons. I think it's because when it came back, they didn't have a lot of new ideas anymore and started to recycle old ones, or just try to be as offensive as possible. The episodes have become more random and less plot oriented, and the humor has just gone downhill. I couldn't care less about the fact that the seasons I like came first, or were early, or whatever. But when I watch a random episode, I can clearly distinguish about when it came from based on how much I laugh. The newest stuff I sit all the way through without laughing sometimes.

Oh man, another Family Guy discussion...

Hey bi-boobs, I was talking about South Park.

NGNM85 - yeah, the paragraph format does make it easier to read. Its not hard going line to line when there's only five or six lines. When there's 37 you may lose your place, sentences run together, etc. If you're online voicing your opinion, why do so in a manner that causes people to skip over your long ass posts? Whether or not you feel it makes a difference, the people you're typing this to are pretty unanimous on using paragraph form.

If your thoughts are so disorganized that you cannot seperate subtopics, perhaps you should put a little more effort into what you write?

Alternatively, cop-out by saying its a gay ass message board anyway and you don't care, then give everyone the ol punk rock salute, you courageous, rebellious bastard. You'll show em!
http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:4_Ga3SS5jBDQhM:http://www.jacopopandolfi.com/gallery/images/c2.jpg

IamSam
05-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Is that SO much better? HONESTLY?

It was. And I can honestly say that it was an enjoyable read. Thank you for sharing.

nevermind,dude,most people who post here are a bunch of stupid snobs who claim to be smart so just let them be and donīt make a big effort posting here

Claiming to be smart and being smart are two different things. NGNM85 is an intelligent individual as is Wheelchairman, Mota Boy, and many others. If you want to have an intelligent conversation it would be best to carry out that conversation in a logical, thought out, and intelligent manner. Not:

What do you think about the Economy? Well, I think Shit Is Fucked Up! :| :|

hm i see that you re standing in the chaos of concept.hm maybe you re trying to tell this concept with easy things anyway no matter.i guess everybody's a philosopher about anarchism,hm its so cool and im happy cause im standing beetween gineous people here hehe anyway cheese,burger,milk ...... no matter what do you believe you live it my dear friends

Stay strong Maria Always lovinī ya, so donīt let any dicks to tell u, what to do Especially not there!!! Itīs all yours n up to u. Iīm sure that uīll find the one, cuz uīre not pretty only on the outside, but as u always say with your souls n stuff Wish ya to sort it out soon n have nice living in a sunny California =D

Things like that, not kosher. And annoying.

Llamas
05-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Hey bi-boobs, I was talking about South Park.
lol whoops. Apparently I can't read. :) And now that I realize you were talking about SP, I agree with what you said.

NGNM85 - yeah, the paragraph format does make it easier to read. Its not hard going line to line when there's only five or six lines. When there's 37 you may lose your place, sentences run together, etc. If you're online voicing your opinion, why do so in a manner that causes people to skip over your long ass posts? Whether or not you feel it makes a difference, the people you're typing this to are pretty unanimous on using paragraph form.

If your thoughts are so disorganized that you cannot seperate subtopics, perhaps you should put a little more effort into what you write?

Alternatively, cop-out by saying its a gay ass message board anyway and you don't care, then give everyone the ol punk rock salute, you courageous, rebellious bastard. You'll show em!
http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:4_Ga3SS5jBDQhM:http://www.jacopopandolfi.com/gallery/images/c2.jpg
I agree with all statements here.

And I also agree that the post was so much better split up. And adding to it in order to divide it into paragraphs doesn't seem like an ISSUE to me... it actually embellishes.

T-6005
05-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Bi-boobs?

What?

Llamas
05-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Yeah I totally didn't get that either. So I didn't respond to it :P

bighead384
05-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Obviously, NGNM85 is challenging the very idea of paragraphs by questioning why everyone made such a big deal about a grammar mistake on a message board post. But instead of admitting it, NGNM85 is crying about it.

Al Coholic
05-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Well I was gonna go with sugartits, but I remembered she was bisexual.

jacknife737
05-16-2009, 12:56 PM
You should follow them...that is...unless Boston isn't an English speaking/Western World entity anymore.

I <3 this, so much.

The first few seasons were shitty animation, hardly any current events/real issues, and mostly stayed on the air because of the (then) novelty of animated children cursing.

The current event's parodying gets a bit old sometimes. Still, I like the new episodes, although i think the show's peak seasons were 8 and 9.

NGNM85
05-17-2009, 10:56 PM
I think this argument has gone way overboard, but this is just SO stupid:

I had no idea it would go this far. I'm as perplexed as anybody...

Reading is painful? No. Nobody said that anywhere. Nobody complained that your text was too long, too hard, etc.

Au Contraire.

You yourself at least implied the length was an issue, it was also mentioned by Wheelchairman. The length has to be the central issue as if it had been a shorter post this drama wouldn't exist. Theres' also the wiseass who added the tag "NGNM TL DR." I am familiar enough with internet vernacular to know what this means, although it has the opposite of what I believed is the intended effect. It's a flippant and sarcastic line basically saying "Get fucked.", but when I see something like that I read it as "I lack creativity." or "I'm too lazy to think."

On a side note I believe this country, perhaps the world but I'm not qualified to judge, is in a period of terrible intellectual decline. It is the greatest irony that this should be the case in the information age. Where through computer networks I can order a library book from across the state and have it sent to the one down the street from my house. Where many classics, including Shakespeare, Milton, etc., can actually be read in entirety on websites. there are also resources like the National security Archive website which has thousands of pages of declassified federal documents. (Minus some redacted bits.) Shit, the other day I was watching the Iran/Contra hearings on Youtube at 3:00 AM.

[QUOTE=ilovellamas;1303531]Here, read this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=pVzo0kvb42wC&pg=PA93&lpg=PA93&dq=why+paragraph&source=bl&ots=fZtQeREB0G&sig=yFZvivouh16e4Vt9cOimVD1L_P8&hl=en&ei=Md8NSoWME4WgM5jqtLMG&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#PPA93,M1
[QUOTE]

I'm quite aware what paragraphs ARE, thats' not an issue.

NGNM85
05-17-2009, 11:06 PM
If you're online voicing your opinion, why do so in a manner that causes people to skip over your long ass posts?

I wasn't aware the difference of four spaces made it completely unreadable. It never occurred to me.

Whether or not you feel it makes a difference, the people you're typing this to are pretty unanimous on using paragraph form.

Apparently. I wasn't aware there was such passion involved. I wish the more overtly political threads generated this kind of excitement.

Like I said, I wasn't planning on submitting it for review. I didn't devide it because it wasn't proper paragraphs. I essentially just typed what I would've said if somebody asked me on the street. I've been accused of being verbose, guilty as charged. Even with the breaks it's still not proper, but I've no intention of further edits.

Alternatively, cop-out by saying its a gay ass message board anyway

No offense mate, but it would be better if you didn't use that word in that context. I know you can think of something better.

and you don't care, then give everyone the ol punk rock salute, you courageous, rebellious bastard. You'll show em!

I'd like to think so. Thanks.

NGNM85
05-17-2009, 11:07 PM
It was. And I can honestly say that it was an enjoyable read. Thank you for sharing.

Claiming to be smart and being smart are two different things. NGNM85 is an intelligent individual

Good somebody appreciates. It almost makes it all worthwhile....

Omni
05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Theres' also the wiseass who added the tag "NGNM TL DR." I am familiar enough with internet vernacular to know what this means, although it has the opposite of what I believed is the intended effect.

I've been accused of being verbose, guilty as charged.

I think saying anything more than "understatement" would just ruin this.

All bitching of paragraphs aside, I really appreciate your ongoing battle you seem to be fighting here (and elsewhere I assume) to encourage people to think and learn. I think your ideas are a little too punk rock for me to take seriously, but it's obviously your passion, so more power to you.

And I'll come right out and say it, I found that textwall painful to read. It may not have been written for proper paragraphing, but when you're typing something that big (far far far bigger than the average BBS post, you at least have to admit), it's kind of courteous to break it up a little since your eyes can tend to skip/repeat lines. And it fatigues the eyes a little. Knowing you, you'll think of me as some knuckle-dragging neanderthal for not being able to keep up, but thats the way I feel about it.

NGNM85
05-19-2009, 10:56 PM
MIT Professor and Philosopher Noam Chomsky Talks About Marijuana and American History

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Awt-0zbqLU

NGNM85
05-19-2009, 11:07 PM
All bitching of paragraphs aside, I really appreciate your ongoing battle you seem to be fighting here (and elsewhere I assume) to encourage people to think and learn.

Apparently as long as it's other people.

I think your ideas are a little too punk rock for me to take seriously, but it's obviously your passion, so more power to you.

I assume you're referring to my other posts, this one was essentially entirely historical data with very little elaboration. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "punk rock." the literal definition doesn't really fit. I am a punk, I love punk rock, but the relationship between that and my political views isn't really that deep. There are some punk bands that have put forth some compelling and inspiring political statements, for example Crass, or Bad Religion. However, my beliefs have a lot more to do with Noam Chomsky and Emma Goldman than Joe Strummer or Greg Graffin. I certainly don't aspire to be the archetypal punk or whatever, I disagree with almost as many people in the punk scene, or in the radical left as I would at a republican convention. Clearly I don't hold ideas to be popular, I hold them because they stand up to the critieria and have compelling evidence. I don't give a damn if anybody likes my ideas, it's up to them/you to disprove or accept them.

Thomas
05-20-2009, 12:13 AM
tl:dr .

Llamas
05-20-2009, 01:34 AM
tl:dr .

This forum needs a "Like" button.

Omni
05-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Apparently as long as it's other people.

I made it clear why your post went largely unread. I said bitching of paragrahs aside because I was applauding your effort to spread your ideas, not the shitty and ineffective way you were doing it.

NGNM85
05-24-2009, 11:24 PM
I made it clear why your post went largely unread. I said bitching of paragrahs aside because I was applauding your effort to spread your ideas, not the shitty and ineffective way you were doing it.

I wasn't referring to the paragraph thing, which,..I hope, we can all fianally put behind us. I was addressing this :"I think your ideas are a little too punk rock for me to take seriously," whatever you meant by it. It's kind of a nonstatement. Simply saying "I disagree." which is what I get, is totally pointless, it's irrelevant. Like I said, and this gets to the "shitty and ineffective" part, as you say... I don't hold ideas I believe to be cool or fashionable or whatever, it's because they're the most plausible, they're best borne out by the evidence. Opinions that can't or won't be argued are insignificant, as are feelings, at least in this context. You can cry you're eyes out over Newtonian classical mechanics, that doesn't make it less factual. I'm not obligated to coddle everyone, I'm obligated to be right, to check citations and so forth. As I said, ideas are confronted or accepted. Kinda like what Yoda said "Do, or do not,.."