PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this?

aebmyasz
04-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Hello friends ...
I recently read something about punk rock and many argue that it is "dead" and that bands like Offspring have done more damage to the concept that had Punk bands like The Ramones. What do you think about this? I put the link to the page.
http://www.cinemablend.com/music/Great-Debate-Is-Punk-Rock-Dead-5810.html

bye! :cool:

ad8
04-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Punk is so dead. I hardly see people with mohawks anymore.

Al Coholic
04-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Fuckin sellouts
the good ol days
corporate record deals
The Ramones
back when it was about the music
I'm not a trendy asshole
stood for something, man
Pretty Fly
The Sex Pistols
individuals
rebels
all about the money
CBGBs
Hot Topic
Kids these days
MTV
The Fucking Backstreet Boys
Punk's dead
Should have never cut their hair
Dont care what others think
establishment
Green Day
nonconformist

There's all the elements of this old argument, do with them what you will.

Little_Miss_1565
04-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Punk in the purest sense died in the 80s. There are punk bands today, yes, but it's kind of like second or in some cases third wave. It's more about an ethos today than a sound. Anyone who cries about "Teh Offspring and Green Day are hurting punk, wah wah wah!" and doesn't think that punk died before they were born is probably in denial.

Fuckin sellouts
establishment
corporate record deals
all about the money
the good ol days
back when it was about the music
I'm not a trendy asshole
stood for something, man
Pretty Fly
The Sex Pistols
individuals, rebels
The Ramones
CBGBs
Hot Topic
Kids these days
MTV
The Fucking Backstreet Boys
Punk's dead
Should have never cut their hair
Dont care what others think

There's all the elements of this old argument, do with them what you will.

This is amazing.

ad8
04-23-2009, 08:29 AM
What about anarchy?:D

RageAndLov
04-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Punk's not dead!
It is just not in the mainstream, and hasn't been there since the late 70's.
Punk is just as underground now as it was in the 80's and is not dead! The punk spirit lives on, and many people live their lives as punks. The mainstream media's type of punk is gone, but that was never punk anyway.

Mota Boy
04-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Here is something that just occurred to me that I don't want to spend too much time thinking out: What is it about punk that inspires such gnawing introspection? You don't exactly see jam-band followers grinding their teeth and declaring that the hippie movement has died.

Punk was a product of a an era. The era, being gone, can never inspire the same emotions, though the general spirit of rebellion is ultimately timeless and can exist in multiple incarnations. Refusing to condone movements done in the same general spirit of rebellion because they do not follow the exact parameters of your time, place or generation's particular embodiment, is to ignore the fact that trends are meant to change, and only brings attention to the fact that punk, for all its pretense of "fuck all", was possibly more caught up in its own self-importance than any other movement.

Little_Miss_1565
04-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Here is something that just occurred to me that I don't want to spend too much time thinking out: What is it about punk that inspires such gnawing introspection? You don't exactly see jam-band followers grinding their teeth and declaring that the hippie movement has died.

That's what psychotropic drugs are for.

Punk was a product of a an era. The era, being gone, can never inspire the same emotions, though the general spirit of rebellion is ultimately timeless and can exist in multiple incarnations. Refusing to condone movements done in the same general spirit of rebellion because they do not follow the exact parameters of your time, place or generation's particular embodiment, is to ignore the fact that trends are meant to change, and only brings attention to the fact that punk, for all its pretense of "fuck all", was possibly more caught up in its own self-importance than any other movement.

Agreed as always; however, I don't think it's unreasonable to consider what's "punk" today to be a descendent (yuk yuk yuk) of the original punk rock 'movement' but not the same as what punk was in 1977. Nah mean?

Outerspaceman21
04-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Punks not dead, but it's hanging by a thread. The concept of rebelling against comformity, living by your own standards, and being an individual is slowly being choked to death by the concept of it being a trend. Offspring is far from killing it. Bands like Good Charlotte and Simple Plan are the ones who are killing it.

And people who support anarchy and hate the government just because someone like Fat Mike says shit that turns young kids into mindless automatons.

Bipolar Bear
04-23-2009, 11:24 AM
since punk isn't supposed to be popular, who the fuck cares if it's "dead" or not? What I think about this? Stop caring about what other people think, faggot

_Lost_
04-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Punk's not dead!
It is just not in the mainstream, and hasn't been there since the late 70's.
Punk is just as underground now as it was in the 80's and is not dead! The punk spirit lives on, and many people live their lives as punks. The mainstream media's type of punk is gone, but that was never punk anyway.

This is where you and your unruly gang of friends go to the mall to bitch about kids wearing british flags and then go jump some skinheads cause thats just how punk you are.

Bipolar Bear
04-23-2009, 11:30 AM
I want to be a nonconformist, just like everybody else.

Outerspaceman21
04-23-2009, 01:21 PM
This is where you and your unruly gang of friends go to the mall to bitch about kids wearing british flags and then go jump some skinheads cause thats just how punk you are.

Thats the exact same thought I had when I read that.

RageAndLov
04-23-2009, 02:02 PM

Haha!
I would not consider myself being a punk. I just happen to like the music. But I have seen the punk movement excist all over the world. It may not be as popular as before, but it has the same elements as it had for instance in the 80's.
Just because the mainstream or the media think it's because "punk" bands aren't on MTV 30 times a day anymore, doesn't mean that it actually is gone.

renato piquette
04-23-2009, 02:11 PM
even though i love the offspring,i should be blind and narrowminded to say that the band are not a bunch of sellouts,they are,but what the fuck?i love that band,their musicīs fucking great,is like if i would hate my girlfriend just because she dislikes the music i listen to,and whenever i look at bands like guttermouth or zebrahead,i see that punkīs not dead :D

RickyCrack
04-23-2009, 02:44 PM
brb, slc punk.

T-6005
04-23-2009, 04:31 PM
I sit when I wipe.

Llamas
04-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Punk is so dead. I hardly see people with mohawks anymore.
This made me lol.

I find it funny that both punks and hippies are supposed to be those that don't give a fuck and are just happy to be who they are... yet the punks bitch and whine about everything, and the hippies are just like "yeah, whatever, it's cool". Oh, and both smell really bad. :)

chicapowerpunk
04-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Well I think that punk is as dead as the dog of my neighbors .....:(
Who have really to blame?...... :mad: Record Companies, they want money marketing from punk.........they take away the essence of the bands from the 60's, 70's & 80's.........

ROCKER_0602
04-23-2009, 05:18 PM
The punk has not died , Only it has diminished thanks to fans,because to blame of strong rock.
There are many persons that they like the punk But has not died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But has not died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grax chikapowerpunk jajaja

Llamas
04-23-2009, 05:44 PM
My biggest question is how people could have considered the Ramones to be "true punk" or anything. They were signed to a big label, made lots of money, had singles on the radio... They changed their sound in order to be a good recording band (labels didn't want to record a band who sounded like they did live, so they slowed it down and mellowed it out for recording... just compare their live albums to their studio...) There's nothing wrong with any of this, but isn't this just as unpunk as the rest of the stuff?

Cock Joke
04-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Michael Fraiman rules!!! PUNK WILL NEVER DIE, BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !ILIKETOPUTINALOTOFEXCLAMATIONMARKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

jacknife737
04-23-2009, 06:28 PM
My biggest question is how people could have considered the Ramones to be "true punk" or anything. They were signed to a big label, made lots of money, had singles on the radio... They changed their sound in order to be a good recording band (labels didn't want to record a band who sounded like they did live, so they slowed it down and mellowed it out for recording... just compare their live albums to their studio...) There's nothing wrong with any of this, but isn't this just as unpunk as the rest of the stuff?

Although i agree; the "tru punx" mindset is really just a side-effect of the 80s hardcore scene when everything went indie/underground. They accept that bands like Ramones/Clash/Sex Pistols were on majors and what not because they were making it up as they went along. The 80s scene then formed the militant diy ethic, from which all future bands must, in their eyes, must follow. It's fucking stupid of course, but that's the reason why (at least I think) they manage to justify their beliefs on the subject.

RickyCrack
04-23-2009, 10:29 PM
it doesn't get any punker than velvet underground shut the fuck up everyone.

wheelchairman
04-23-2009, 10:38 PM
I think we need to appreciate Al's post more.

WebDudette
04-23-2009, 10:44 PM
who cares, shit sucks anyway.

Alison
04-24-2009, 05:56 AM
even though i love the offspring,i should be blind and narrowminded to say that the band are not a bunch of sellouts,they are,but what the fuck?i love that band,their musicīs fucking great,is like if i would hate my girlfriend just because she dislikes the music i listen to,and whenever i look at bands like guttermouth or zebrahead,i see that punkīs not dead :D

You're not serious?? Are you?
I can't say I've heard any of their old stuff.....but... anything i've heard by them is like New Found Glory.

aebmyasz
04-24-2009, 07:04 AM
since punk isn't supposed to be popular, who the fuck cares if it's "dead" or not? What I think about this? Stop caring about what other people think, faggot

Fuck you an go the hell MF suck the evil ball MALPARIDO PERRO MUERETE

Offspring-Junkie
04-24-2009, 07:17 AM
I sit when I wipe.

Yes, that's so important that I lol'd hard. I do see the point in there.

renato piquette
04-25-2009, 08:48 AM
You're not serious?? Are you?
I can't say I've heard any of their old stuff.....but... anything i've heard by them is like New Found Glory.

zebrahead?they are an awsome band,and their old stuff is amazing

renato piquette
04-25-2009, 08:50 AM
MALPARIDO PERRO MUERETE

LOL,nice stuff

Alison
04-25-2009, 11:13 AM
zebrahead?they are an awsome band,and their old stuff is amazing

I wouldnt hear them and think 'punk's not dead' though...rather the opposite.

RageAndLov
04-25-2009, 05:42 PM

Actually, the 80's hardcore punk scene saw bands like The Clash, The Ramones and The Sex Pistol to be straight mainstream rock & roll and didn't consider them to be punk.