PDA

View Full Version : Zingers/I've Watched Too Much Disney Channel

T-6005
04-24-2009, 05:05 PM
I was walking to the store earlier, and I passed a kid with a basketball. He seemed fairly normal in most regards, except for his hair, which immediately reminded me of a certain Disney channel star named Corbin Bleu.

To my surprise, it took all my willpower not to casually toss out the phrase "Nice hair, Corbin Bleu" as the kid walked past me. I was surprised partly because I'm not prone to addressing people in the middle of the street - or anywhere else, for that matter. I imagine mostly people don't talk to even the tiniest fraction of the people they pass in the course of the day, and I'm no exception. Especially not to insult them casually as they stroll past on their way to the store to, say, buy some cereal. Hypothetically.

That was my first shock - being almost unable to suppress the urge to tell this kid how ridiculous his hair looked (which it didn't, really, I just happen to virulently hate this particular Disney channel star). And the second surprise, as those parentheses well described, was that the first insult that came to mind was Disney channel related. And this is where I really got to thinking.

I have watched way too much Disney channel. This is in part because the summer of my first year in University, I returned home - to Malaysia BORING - and proceeded to spend four months bored to tears. I did a few things to break up the monotony - masturbating, reading, developing panic disorder - but in the main I just sat around and watched the Disney channel with my sister.

As a result (a slight, but to me significant change) I can apply this knowledge of the Disney Channel to everyday life, and occasionally it pops up. I can name every cast member of Suite Life of Zack and Cody (don't know the name of the dude who owns the hotel), and I think Kim Possible is actually a passably decent cartoon. I've watched more than one episode of the Hannah Montana show and I actually laughed once. Or maybe even twice.

But more importantly, I've developed some serious, serious grudges against certain Disney Channel stars. I couldn't care less about the Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus - everyone hates them. No, as in all things I'm much more indie and out there - specifically, I can't stand the mannerisms of Corbin Bleu. He is an irritating popinjay who could stand to be punched in the face and get a haircut!

Yep. Forgot what I was originally saying, I think.

At least I got some Frosties. They are good.

HE IS SO FRUSTRATING I HOPE HE DIES

randman21
04-24-2009, 05:34 PM
lul. I used to watch more Disney Channel than a little bit. From the time I was about 15 until 18, that was the channel I watched most. It sorta waned around the time Zack and Cody (Moseby is the name you're looking for [luv Brenda Song]) came out, and stopped completely by the time Hannah Montana started airing (like Miley, hate the show).

After that, it was Nickelodeon. And I still watch that from time to time (the only reason I don't watch more is because it's way up on channel 173 on the satellite, whereas it was 29 on cable, so I tend to forget about it). I've always been a Spongebob nut, but I found myself enjoying a lot of the shows immensely. As far as I'm concerned, "Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide" and "Drake and Josh" have been snubbed by the Emmys every single year since their respective debuts. And I imagine that the only thing creepier than a 23-year-old man loving "iCarly" is a 24-year-old man loving "iCarly," but I gives no shits. It's awesome.

I know this doesn't have that much to do with the original point of your thread, though. I'm lamenting that you didn't zing that kid. He sounds like a complete prick.

SweetTatyana
04-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Haha Zack and Cody is actually a decent show, their on a boat now, its pretty funny. I'm not going to lie, I also like Life with Derek and Cory in the House.

Neds Guide is a pretty cute show too.

mrconeman
04-25-2009, 03:48 AM
No. The Disney channel is literally the worst thing on tv.

Every single show that it airs is drastically fucking awful. I want to physically harm the entire cast of that Zack and Cody horseshit. And Drake and Josh should be flogged off our TV screens. I can't believe the crap people accept as TV these days, and I'm serious.

When I was a kid, shows were fucking awesome, you got up early in the morning every morning, because the shows were fucking awesome. You got up to watch Rugrats, Dexters Lab, Rocco's Modern Life, Doug, Cow and Chicken, because they were fucking awesome. Then you stayed watching the TV because you were going to watch The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Keenen & Kel, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air...because they were fucking awesome.

Kids these days just don't fuckin' know.

nieh
04-25-2009, 08:28 AM
There's a show called Camp Lazlo that has almost everyone that was involved in Rocco's Modern Life getting back together. I dunno if it's as good since I've never actually seen it. Also, Power Rangers is still on the air.

mrconeman
04-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Old TV show she ain't what she used to be. Ain't what she used to be. Ain't what she used to be.

randman21
04-25-2009, 12:57 PM
T I dunno if it's as good since I've never actually seen it.
It's not. Cartoon Network has pretty much gone to hell, too. I don't watch it at all until late at night.

T-6005
04-25-2009, 02:58 PM
When I was a kid, shows were fucking awesome, you got up early in the morning every morning, because the shows were fucking awesome. You got up to watch Rugrats, Dexters Lab, Rocco's Modern Life, Doug, Cow and Chicken, because they were fucking awesome. Then you stayed watching the TV because you were going to watch The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Keenen & Kel, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air...because they were fucking awesome.

Though you score some points with Dexter's lab, Rugrats was never any good. And as much as we all liked Power Rangers, it's one of the worst TV shows in existence. We came back each week to watch nearly the exact same plot unfold.

mrconeman
04-26-2009, 04:06 AM
Tommy Pickles is an hero.

Plus, of course Power Rangers is horrible, but horrible in that train wreck sort of way, you can't drag yourself away from it.

Of course though, I didn't mention all my favourite shows. Space Ghost, Johnny Bravo, The Whacky Races, even Scooby Doo.

Autonomist
04-26-2009, 04:25 AM
Also, Power Rangers is still on the air.

Power Rangers Jungle Ninjas, or something ridiculous like that? Mighty Morphin' was a classic that will never again be repeated, and to be honest I actually liked some of the sequels. Zeo was decent, Turbo was passable (though the inclusion of a 12 year old kid makes me want to hit something) and In Space was actually great from what I remember. Then it just got out of control, reinventing itself in completely ridiculous ways each year and now it's a shadow of the shadow of what it once was. Which is a shame, because I don't think there's anything that makes more nostalgic than Mighty Morphin.

mrconeman
04-26-2009, 05:48 AM
Autonomist hits nails on the head.